The wet shaving thread

SidhuScorpion said:
But I am unable to make the difference in genuine and duplicate blades.

I am almost certain that they are fake or rejected blades.
Hmm, you might be onto something..this consumer complaint matches your description.

Is it counterfeit ? (Reminds me of RBI guidelines)

Get yer M3's out and check.

..it would seem the only way to tell is after using them, as you've found out :(

Bumping it up as I wanna start shaving at home again can't pay 50rs per shave to barber for my lazyness :p

Was considering getting Gillette Fusion Proglide how good is it (DE is not my cup of tea one bad move and I get a deep cut :p)

Roxtin said:
Bumping it up as I wanna start shaving at home again can't pay 50rs per shave to barber for my lazyness :p
Heh, is this with a topless model cause my barber charges me less than half that amount :p

Roxtin said:
Was considering getting Gillette Fusion Proglide how good is it (DE is not my cup of tea one bad move and I get a deep cut :p)
Don't think they make that here yet, so ur only bet is imported stuff, make sure its got an import sticker or you getting fakes.

Just pick up some presto's and try that.

blr_p said:
Heh, is this with a topless model cause my barber charges me less than half that amount :p

If my barber hires a topless girl model to give a shave I am willing to pay 50Rs every day :p

Don't think they make that here yet, so ur only bet is imported stuff, make sure its got an import sticker or you getting fakes.

Just pick up some presto's and try that.
I have Mach 3 Turbo was thinking of getting Gillette Fusion Proglide through ebay.in

dipen01 said:
Finally bought Gilette Sensor Excel. Any specific suggestions for the Shaving Cream and Shaving Brush ?
If you're willing to pamper yourself a bit, then you can go for the Bodyshop synthetic shave brush. Its the only internationally available shaving brush I could find in retail stores here and it is priced the same as it is abroad (~$10). It's a little on the stiff side, but its tips are super soft. And since its synthetic, you can use it as a travel brush as well.

As for cream, I like me my old spice cream even better than the tub I got from the Bodyshop.

Roxtin said:
If my barber hires a topless girl model to give a shave I am willing to pay 50Rs every day :p
But i can get a haircut for less than you pay for a shave. Find a cheaper guy. :p

These guys are as good as what i had to pay $10 for in the US. Awesome VFM for ten times less !!

Their shops ain't very stylish, they're old fashioned and i bet is where 95% of India gets their hair cut.

Roxtin said:
I have Mach 3 Turbo was thinking of getting Gillette Fusion Proglide through ebay.in
Hmm, so long as the pics clearly display the import sticker then ok otherwise you're gonna get ripped off.

Not seen too much difference between the two going by online reviews.

You're already paying Rs.80-100 for just one Mach 3 blade, a fusion will likely be close to twice that amount.

Are you getting twice as better a shave ? no chance. You're paying for bling.

Go with a presto, if you want a better quality blade then use a sensor excel. Then learn how your grain grows and you will be getting better shaves than any barber can give you.

Course this takes a bit of time, but its a good investment for the rest of your life ;)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Grease Monk said:
If you're willing to pamper yourself a bit, then you can go for the Bodyshop synthetic shave brush. Its the only internationally available shaving brush I could find in retail stores here and it is priced the same as it is abroad (~$10). It's a little on the stiff side, but its tips are super soft. And since its synthetic, you can use it as a travel brush as well.
Are you referring to the Brit Chain 'The Body Shop'?

Didn't know they have any outlets in India yet.

blr_p said:
These guys are as good as what i had to pay $10 for in the US. Awesome VFM for ten times less !!
You must be OLD :O

$10 is what I would pay at a shop close to my university that caters specifically to students.

A regular shop would be more in the range of $20-25

It was in Queens a few years back, the guy was from Azerbaijan. What's the inflation rate like in the US ? under 5%, that means prices double every 14 years if not longer.

Where you at ?

Further away from the big cities the prices go up, less immigrants ;)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Grease Monk said:
Found it here

Good head and is the best i've seen available locally, much better than the gilette/palmolive ones in the supermarkets, quarter the price of the badger i have.
Grease Monk said:
As for cream, I like me my old spice cream even better than the tub I got from the Bodyshop.
This is the bit that is more interesting to me, i already have many different creams and always looking for more :clap:

The balm here is bit more. One more, another and yet another for even more. Interesting fragrances. Wow, that's 4 different kinds of balms in just one shop !!

All of a sudden the biotique version does not look so expensive in comparison.

Their shaving cream looks interesting but it seems like the only one they have. Don't see any tub mentioned here.

Old spice is nice, but i seem to be developing an allergy for that chemical smell.

blr_p said:
Their shaving cream looks interesting but it seems like the only one they have. Don't see any tub mentioned here.

Old spice is nice, but i seem to be developing an allergy for that chemical smell.

Yeah, the tub isn't listed on the Indian site and was surprised when I saw it in the shop. It was so much larger than the tube and a 100 bucks more. It will definitely last me at least 5 times longer than a tube of Old Spice, but I don't really like its lathering properties as much(maybe I'm not experienced enough to mix it well).

The Body Shop India :: (Tube)

For Men Maca Root Shave Cream: Men's Skin Care: Men - The Body Shop (Tub version)

Grease Monk said:
It will definitely last me at least 5 times longer than a tube of Old Spice, but I don't really like its lathering properties as much(maybe I'm not experienced enough to mix it well).
Can you describe more ?

As i looked at that site i found this ...

4 Easy Steps to the perfect shave
Step 2 i think is not correct. They say first go with-the-grain (WTG) and then against-the-grain (ATG).

This might work if your stubble is soft but otherwise there should be an intervening step or two namely, across-the-grain (XTG) or there will be loads of irritation ;)

Of course then they recommend you use a load of their products to get it smooth, but the first and most important factor is how close you can get the shave. After that any good moisturiser will give you a smooth feel. The richer the product, the longer that feel will last.
TheOtherGuy said:
dettol shaving cream with mach3 followed by johnson&johnson baby oil as moisturizer works for me.:D
You can even use coconut oil for this, provided its not too strong smelling.

...that is so long as you do not have acne prone skin ;)

Back