The wet shaving thread

Bumping an old thread.

Anybody interested in bulk purchase of Astra and Feathers blades? There are some good deals for Astras on Amazon (9$ for 100). I heard that the blades are good. But I don't want 100 blade at once. So if anybody else is interested we can buy and share.

Also, looking for some good deals for the Feathers. Used them for the first time today with a lot of apprehension after reading that how sharp and unforgiving they are !! But I was amazed with the result, superb shave. But a bit costlier
<

Feathers are ridiculous. I recently got a sampler pack from WestCoastShaving which had them.

Everytime that I've used Feathers, since then, I've managed to chop my face up :-(

My Israeli reds & derby's last for 3 shaves a side. Feathers have already gone to 5 on the first side and are still crazy sharp.

^^ I find the Feathers to be amazing smooth with my Merkur HD. Just don't apply any pressure
<
. In the opinion of most people Feathers are very sharp but losse sharpness quite quickly.

I'm yet to try Red Personnas. Looking for some Personna, Astra. Already have some Feathers. But they are costlier. Out Indian 7 O'clock super plat is also very good. I use these blades primarily.

Bump...

Tried a DE shave yesterday, maybe after 1996-97. Gosh...what an experience. Cartridge shaving is over, unless I am travelling.

Anyone know, where to order good equipment online. I am currently using a plastic DE razor, which I picked up for kicks from a local grocery shop. God knows why I had.

Cant understand. Can you link me to some image? Is it a safety razor like they use in barber shop or its like Gillette presto?

Anyone know, where to order good equipment online. I am currently using a plastic DE razor, which I picked up for kicks from a local grocery shop. God knows why I had.
Yeah i did that too, decided to try a plastic razor around 8 months back. Guess what ? i'm still using it. I have a green version. Costs Rs.35 :D

41SChvFPAhL._SX300_.jpg

it was not supposed to be good, but to my surprise you get used to it and it works just fine.

Experimented with a straight as well, like the barbers use, that cost Rs.100 but this takes more practice.

What equipment are you looking for ?

Last edited:
Yeah i did that too, decided to try a plastic razor around 8 months back. Guess what ? i'm still using it. I have a green version. Costs Rs.35 :D

41SChvFPAhL._SX300_.jpg

it was not supposed to be good, but to my surprise you get used to it and it works just fine.

Experimented with a straight as well, like the barbers use, that cost Rs.100 but this takes more practice.

What equipment are you looking for ?

Thanks...!

My one is Black; and was the Zorrick brand. Came with a pack of 5 DE blades @ INR. 80. I wanted some weight on the shaver head, so got a butterfly DE razor today for INR 100. With a plastic box too. Will use that to hold the blades. It is like the one below, but the handle is not that nice. And the finish is less machined. Also picked up 5+2 Gillete super platinum DE blades. Will try it tomorrow mornin'.

ButterFly_Razor_zps7c68c204.jpg~original

I want the Merkur 34c. :) And what should I use for lather. As of now I have been using, canned foam, but I read that it not good. What are good brushes, and how to get a shaving mug, or should I migrate a coffee mug, rinsed out in Dettol. I all ready have alum, which I used to use with cartridge shaving...!

Thanks...!

I want the Merkur 34c. :) And what should I use for lather. As of now I have been using, canned foam, but I read that it not good. What are good brushes, and how to get a shaving mug, or should I migrate a coffee mug, rinsed out in Dettol. I all ready have alum, which I used to use with cartridge shaving...!
Dump the foam!! For shaving cream try Godrej (menthol is awesome in this heat!!)/Dettol/Park Avenue/Nivea.
Try to find a omega boar brush from Flipkart.
As for shaving mug don't waste money a plastic mug works fine.
Try the 7 Oclock platinum razor (http://www.medplusbeauty.com/beauty...blades/gillette-7-oclock-super-platinum-razor). Good razor and great blade.[DOUBLEPOST=1397582054][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT
Get this razor instead. It is a copy of the famous Gillette Tech razor. It comes with metal head a nd is very smooth:
http://www.medplusbeauty.com/beauty...razorsblades/gillette-7-oclock-sterling-razor

Merkur is for people with tough beards, so i guess a plastic one will not suit you at all. It was an easy transition for me as i used a gilllette knack from the 70s, quite mild as razors go. You will have to source this merkur from abroad as they don't sell them here. Not that i found any when looked a few years back.

canned foam is fine for DE. However prep is more important, i shave after a bath so the hair is soft, otherwise you need to put a wet towel on your face for a few minutes. Beard needs to be in contact with water for at least three minutes before its ready for a shave. Dry beard is as hard as iron wool, blunts the blade quicker and more likely to lead to irritation later.

But if you use cartridges with more than two blades then you need gels as it contains lubricants for more glide to reduce irritation. If you use a 3 blade or more cartridges then you are doing just one pass. If you do more passes it will be harder on your skin. The idea of the DE is its just one blade which with 3 or 4 passes moves the blade in different angles giving you a much closer shave with no irritation. Much closer than a barber can give you as they don't go beyond 2 passes. Fusion & mach 3 cannot compare to the closeness of a DE with the right technique. No way. This technique takes time to learn but its a worthy skill like a stick shift in a car.

And DE blades are cheap, i toss them every 5 or so shaves. Sharp blades are very important to getting a trouble free shave. Black platinums are the smoothest i've found, they have a coating over the blade which the green does not have so in theory last longer.

If you want to use creams out of a tube, then godrej is good enough. Getting a brush with animal hair isn't easy so you will have to stick to plastic bristles. Body shop did a decent brush for Rs.500 some time back. The gilette ones have too few bristles for my liking, they are workable but take more effort to get a good lather.

i picked up alum from some natural cure shop, it was an unfinished stone that cost me Rs.7. It was a rock that i sanded down. Works great and looks a lot more pure than the finished more clouded looking stones available.

After a shave use a non-alcohol shaving balm. A little after shave if you want, emphasis on little.

Dump the foam!! For shaving cream try Godrej (menthol is awesome in this heat!!)/Dettol/Park Avenue/Nivea.
Try to find a omega boar brush from Flipkart.
As for shaving mug don't waste money a plastic mug works fine.
Try the 7 Oclock platinum razor (http://www.medplusbeauty.com/beauty...blades/gillette-7-oclock-super-platinum-razor). Good razor and great blade.[DOUBLEPOST=1397582054][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT
Get this razor instead. It is a copy of the famous Gillette Tech razor. It comes with metal head a nd is very smooth:
http://www.medplusbeauty.com/beauty...razorsblades/gillette-7-oclock-sterling-razor

I saw those two razors today, but honestly wanted a full metal one. So I got the butterfly which I have shown (similar). I will be travelling tomorrow on wards -for- a week, so will pick up a brush and cream, once I get back. Will be trying out the butterfly razor tomorrow morning before my flight, and check the agaggressiveness

Thanks for your recommendations.

Merkur is for people with tough beards, so i guess a plastic one will not suit you at all. It was an easy transition for me as i used a gilllette knack from the 70s, quite mild as razors go. You will have to source this merkur from abroad as they don't sell them here. Not that i found any when looked a few years back.

canned foam is fine for DE. However prep is more important, i shave after a bath so the hair is soft, otherwise you need to put a wet towel on your face for a few minutes. Beard needs to be in contact with water for at least three minutes before its ready for a shave. Dry beard is as hard as iron wool, blunts the blade quicker and more likely to lead to irritation later.

But if you use cartridges with more than two blades then you need gels as it contains lubricants for more glide to reduce irritation. If you use a 3 blade or more cartridges then you are doing just one pass. If you do more passes it will be harder on your skin. The idea of the DE is its just one blade which with 3 or 4 passes moves the blade in different angles giving you a much closer shave with no irritation. Much closer than a barber can give you as they don't go beyond 2 passes. Fusion & mach 3 cannot compare to the closeness of a DE with the right technique. No way. This technique takes time to learn but its a worthy skill like a stick shift in a car.

And DE blades are cheap, i toss them every 5 or so shaves. Sharp blades are very important to getting a trouble free shave. Black platinums are the smoothest i've found, they have a coating over the blade which the green does not have so in theory last longer.

If you want to use creams out of a tube, then godrej is good enough. Getting a brush with animal hair isn't easy so you will have to stick to plastic bristles. Body shop did a decent brush for Rs.500 some time back. The gilette ones have too few bristles for my liking, they are workable but take more effort to get a good lather.

i picked up alum from some natural cure shop, it was an unfinished stone that cost me Rs.7. It was a rock that i sanded down. Works great and looks a lot more pure than the finished more clouded looking stones available.

After a shave use a non-alcohol shaving balm. A little after shave if you want, emphasis on little.

My beard is not that hard. Might still get the Merkur 34c in the future, when a friend is flying over. Though Amazon (.com) has some which they are willing to ship to India..! I think I will be migrating to shaving post-shower. It should be a better result, with the skin soft. I got the Gillette Super Platinum today (black), will test them out tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your recommendations.[DOUBLEPOST=1397585440][/DOUBLEPOST]
is shaving with straight edge also a worthy skill to learn? :rolleyes:
Try it. .This thread has it all.

is shaving with straight edge also a worthy skill to learn? :rolleyes:
Barbers make a living off it. You're in a shower room, the other guys are using their mach whatever toys, and you pull out a straight...or you're with your elders and they use cartridges too and they see you have a straight and tell you their fathers shaved like that.

It turns a chore into a ritual.

Technically speaking what they use here are known as shavettes. Real straights cost quite a bit and require skills to maintain, there aren't people around here that can do that any more. So you have to learn yourself. If you look around the straight boards, those guys really know their stuff, its a step up from DE's probably a bigger one that getting into DE's. DE's the angle is more or less fixed, straights you have to learn how to set the angle, done right you can get a little closer than a DE. Requires a steady hand.[DOUBLEPOST=1397601461][/DOUBLEPOST]
I saw those two razors today, but honestly wanted a full metal one. So I got the butterfly which I have shown (similar). I will be travelling tomorrow on wards -for- a week, so will pick up a brush and cream, once I get back. Will be trying out the butterfly razor tomorrow morning before my flight, and check the agaggressiveness

Thanks for your recommendations.
Have you considered an adjustables little more choice in tweaking the settings.

Last edited:
Where in India can i get a Parker 95R or 22R or 12/13R?
Also tried for Omega Brushes on Flipkart but found nothing. Can you please direct me to a link for the same?

Would also be trying Biotique Shaving Cream for the first time. Expecting a lot since i am moving from the waste spray cans to this!

Back