The Windows Phone 7 thread

Re: Wp7

Met DJMyKey, UltimaBasher and CountRock for lunch today, to show them the HD7 (also carried my N900).... you should have seen those Fandroids drooling all over the thing, and it wasn't because of the kababs :D WP7 p0wned 'em all !!!

yup :) i get the same response wit my omnia 7 ... ppl love it and the voice recognition thing drives em crazy :) he he

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

any idea when the jan update is coming??

I really wanted to get the HTC 7 pro but chickened out for the lack of copy/paste and true multi-tasking. How's the contacts-facebook integration?

Edit@soumalidon below, actually your statement should have read "MS should not have left out..." :). I know about the copy/paste but is there any info about true multi-tasking (the issue with having to reload third-party apps)? Being with MS for the better part of my PC/phone experience, I've come to rely more on third-party apps than MS apps. All I know about the updates are gleaned from here.

^^ those features are expected to be added in the Jan update. MS will not leave out such important features and let the other OS es have an advantage. Its jus a matter of time before they release the update. The facebook integration is done very nicely and it shows all the updates in the "whats new" part of the phonebook.

Just got the HD7 for my wife and bang, my first disappointment. No Marketplace support! So now I can't try/ buy any games or apps, not even the free Torch utility that HTC gives for free! Prices in Rs but my "region is not supported". Epic fail, MS.

I read that the latest Zune update does not work with the registry hack to enable Marketplace for India, but will have to try it out (dl'ing Zune as I write this). Or maybe try a US hotmail ID, but that won't let me buy apps/ games will it?

Edit: Zune Marketplace is working with the Marketplace Enabler but now Zune is asking for an update. Will the update break Marketplace?? No idea so no to the update as of now. Had to dig deep inside HTC Hub to update the Hub itself and HTC apps are still off limits as of now. Bummer.

Ran into another issue. The SMS centre number would neither update automatically nor allow me to input it (remained blank even after clicking save, tried 2 HRs and dozen reboots etc.). Finally got around it by inserting the sim in another phone and manually inputting the SMS centre number even though it was already there. Re-inserted it back onto the HD7 and voila! My first duel with W7 was won :).

Any tips/ workarounds (I used to hate that on the iPhone...) for the apps/ games thing? Btw, the Jan update has been pushed back, right? Any idea of the timeline for fixing the marketplace? I'm definitely going Android this time (Desire Z as soon as I get some money).

Btw, loved whatever is working. Fantastic UI and the peoples hub is great. Any thoughts on why HTC and/ or MS is opting out of TV out connections? Would come in real handy for multimedia/ office phones, especially for me with my shiny new Optoma PK201 Pico projector (shameless name dropping :p). Even the Desire HD supports TV-out only with a 5~6 grand DLNA device attachment, which btw is available in only one or 2 online sites in the world.

Congrats :)

I just registered a new live ID with UK as address and you enter that as the first account (had to hard reset my device to start over because I had entered my existing India ID first time) and now I can browse marketplace and download all the free/trial apps/games :)

Stuff like location/find my phone/gps/maps etc all working. SMS/GPRS (Airtel prepaid)

soumalidon said:
dam :( its been like hours stuck at step 7 :(
Try it on a diff PC if u can......
Else uninstall Zune, download the web installer and do a fresh installation of Zune.
BTW hope u dont have HTC Sync and some of those hacks installed?

Back