Think twice before ordering Internal Hard Drives from Flipkart

Just found the packaging box Flipkart shipped the drive in. Sharing it with everyone for reference. As you can clearly see the cardboard box Flipkart used for shipment is the same thickness as Samsung IDE 3.5" HDD (used for size reference). You can imagine how the WD 3TB Green with one round of bubble wrap would have fit inside it. No additional filler material to hold the HDD in place (to avoid movement in the cardboard box).

I forwarded the email to flipkart with scan of HDD label and copy of bill (which had same serial number written on it). They initially tried to sweep it under the rug like it was no big deal sending used/recertified/refurbished product as new. They claimed to not have stock of the same drive (false! they were accepting orders on their website). After escalating the issue and following up, they offered to refund the money. I had all my data on the drive and couldn't just return the drive. I would have to purchase another another drive, transfer data from existing to newly purchased drive and then send it over to their warehouse. So I had to make those arrangements before I agreed with their refund option (they would have arranged pickup same day).

This is what is irksome and detrimental for a company. It shows their philosophy and modus operandi. You told them about an error (and business malpractice for the product line), they tried to say no big deal, then lied about inventory, and post escalation decided to push your order back into the supply chain (which is fine). It is similar to a local shop keeper seeing a product which was sold defective off the counter, and trying to palm it off to you as "fine".

Though honestly, when ordering online, be ready to pay the brunt of shipping it back. Yes, FK is no Amazon, nor will it ever be, but that is how it works here. Abroad maybe you would have got some discount coupons or ship back waiver. You should have pulled off your data, formatted it, and sent it back, ASAP. And taken your refund. What more can be done. There is no point reasoning with such practices. By the way, I am a totally satisfied FK customer, with over 15-20 successful orders received, all fine. Just being critical and what I feel. E-Commerce and its ancillary behavioral mechanisms still have to come-of-age, in India. :)

If you want "Clued" employees handling your drives, be prepared to pay for the Cluing and order it it from a pure IT company like Dell, they will ensure you will get exactly what you want and even pack it far exceeding your specification.

You cannot have employees of a company that handles everything from socks to laptops and paid minimum wages to know much about your precious drive at cut throat prices.
you probably don't know anything about SCM or warehousing and just talking purely emotional like an idiot.

idiocacy of your argument is that people can toss your HDD however they want like any other cheap product because you pay less than top tier shops? how is that even logical. actually Flipkart is the costliest e-retailer around, for eg the Dell 1TB drive from Dell website is actually cheaper than Flipkart.

and in-effect you are blaming the customer of making the purchase choice instead of the ineptness of the flipkart management in training their employees in handling goods, failing to put a robust system in place for things like this or even the case of employee negligence/fraud.

INSULTING PEOPLE TRYING TO MAKE AN HONEST LIVING IS NOT COOL.
cut all this emotional bullsh1t. if you can re-read my post you will notice that I clearly said 'there are plenty of those people around' and not 'all of them are like that'. I also stated 'last mile' (it is not just the packing guys) and how brand building is not going to help the lacklustre 'operations'. I have purchased goods total worth of several lakhs online right from the bazee.com days both from Indian online retailers and from US. So I have enough experience with all these and have seen all kinds of frauds and idiocacy. have many friends with management degrees in SCM and e-tailing who hint about horror stories of employee fraud, theft(common with couriers), smuggling in warehouses, collusion with local brick-n-mortar retailers for sabotaging local warehouses/businesses of e-tailers etc.

I'm also paying hard earned (yeah the same 'honestly') money to buy things and have the right for voicing my feedback of the services I get. you may have far high level of tolerance and immunity to frustration but don't force it on others.

on a different note, people talk about amazon when issues of flipkart comes because it was founded by an ex-amazon employee (also you can see the business model and growth pattern being followed is similar) and was widely reviewed in several tech and investment blogs as such. and not because of some 'holier-than-thou' attitude. it is a self set benchmark for flipkart.

and yeah for the record I have bought several stuff from flipkart that doesn't mean I'm going to close my eyes and sing lalalala if some other customer complains or if the government accuses that FK are actually violating some FDI and FEMA laws in India.

_

you probably don't know anything about SCM or warehousing and just talking purely emotional like an idiot.

idiocacy of your argument is that people can toss your HDD however they want like any other cheap product because you pay less than top tier shops? how is that even logical. actually Flipkart is the costliest e-retailer around, for eg the Dell 1TB drive from Dell website is actually cheaper than Flipkart.

and in-effect you are blaming the customer of making the purchase choice instead of the ineptness of the flipkart management in training their employees in handling goods, failing to put a robust system in place for things like this or even the case of employee negligence/fraud.

cut all this emotional bullsh1t. if you can re-read my post you will notice that I clearly said 'there are plenty of those people around' and not 'all of them are like that'. I also stated 'last mile' (it is not just the packing guys) and how brand building is not going to help the lacklustre 'operations'. I have purchased goods total worth of several lakhs online right from the bazee.com days both from Indian online retailers and from US. So I have enough experience with all these and have seen all kinds of frauds and idiocacy. have many friends with management degrees in SCM and e-tailing who hint about horror stories of employee fraud, theft(common with couriers), smuggling in warehouses, collusion with local brick-n-mortar retailers for sabotaging local warehouses/businesses of e-tailers etc.

I'm also paying hard earned (yeah the same 'honestly') money to buy things and have the right for voicing my feedback of the services I get. you may have far high level of tolerance and immunity to frustration but don't force it on others.

on a different note, people talk about amazon when issues of flipkart comes because it was founded by an ex-amazon employee (also you can see the business model and growth pattern being followed is similar) and was widely reviewed in several tech and investment blogs as such. and not because of some 'holier-than-thou' attitude. it is a self set benchmark for flipkart.

and yeah for the record I have bought several stuff from flipkart that doesn't mean I'm going to close my eyes and sing lalalala if some other customer complains or if the government accuses that FK are actually violating some FDI and FEMA laws in India.

_
Apparently from your response you seem to have a lot of experience, so why dont you get less emotional about it and share it instead of blustering and not saying one meaningful thing

As for High level of tolerance, you would be hard pressed to find people who could say that about me when it comes to service. I have an equally low (if not lower) tolerance for name calling of the poor and the weak, especially who aren't around to defend themselves.

Guys starting a forum war wont change anything. At the end of the day Flipkart is a business and not doing a charity. You are not getting the product any cheaper and if you are getting ripped off/not satisfied in any sense you have the right to voice your concern and a solution. The same applies for buying from a physical store. I've faced problems both online and offline particularly in buying a hard drive so it boils down to the chap who is shopping to be aware of these malpractices and take appropriate action. Employees of large companies are just employees- a mix of different kind of people with different problems, frustrations insecurities just like us so there is no point bringing them into the picture, its the responsibility of the company as a whole to train there staff about handling different types of cargo, computer parts in particular.

Having read all the emotional and statistical (if any :p) analysis over here about the OP's post, I could only understand one thing.

"The OP dint intend his post to be subjected to postmortem instead wanted it to be a warning (not even a rant in its true sense, mind you) to people who are looking to buy an Internal HDD in general and specially from FK"

My take home:: Recertified disks are not entertained as a new purchase by the manufacturer themselves, so beware.

This is pathetic. Never thought of such crap from Flipkart. Highlight on social media.. Post on their twitter, Facebook.. Give taste of their own medicine.

Please do & post their reaction.
I would suggest just say they shipped a refurb one instead of going into the details, The dent could be said it was at your end. The refurb is undisputable

I would suggest just say they shipped a refurb one instead of going into the details, The dent could be said it was at your end. The refurb is undisputable

How can the dent be at "the OPs end". Please explain. He did , say that they shipped a refurbished article, instead of a brand-new HDD. You saying, the OP caused the dent or was his fault..? Why are you exonerating FK here..?

How can the dent be at "the OPs end". Please explain. He did , say that they shipped a refurbished article, instead of a brand-new HDD. You saying, the OP caused the dent or was his fault..? Why are you exonerating FK here..?
I am not exonerating FK by any means. However it can be argued by FK "you dented it" and since the matter is to be taken to the public medium, I would prefer to focus on matters that are totally indisputable and which will not detract from the main issue which is "FK shipped him a refurbed drive" This fact is indisputable and is the only thing which should be harped on highlighted, leaving no room for FK or anyone else to talk about the dent and where it happened.

I am not exonerating FK by any means. However it can be argued by FK "you dented it" and since the matter is to be taken to the public medium, I would prefer to focus on matters that are totally indisputable and which will not detract from the main issue which is "FK shipped him a refurbed drive" This fact is indisputable and is the only thing which should be harped on highlighted, leaving no room for FK or anyone else to talk about the dent and where it happened.

Are you on pot..? This way any goods/merchandize provider can deny all claims by consumers at the opposite end of the supply-chain. This removal of an argument, cause it can be denied, adds nothing here. It is plausible and justified that the OP mentioned about the dent. It show cases the lame packaging methods employed for an HDD packaging. An HDD is not a paper back. Sorry, nor should it be shipped in the same manner.

I am more inclined in thinking that this won't be a company policy, rather a trick tried by some/few particular employees.
Or maybe lack of training, a sealed HDD is there, toss it in with the others. Or maybe a Co policy too who knows, not all buyers are aware of these little nuances of a business. While I have vigorously advocated FK on this same thread, I would not put it past them affirmatively without any solid information. All said and done, India is still a buyer beware country. (though its changing)

Are you on pot..? This way any goods/merchandize provider can deny all claims by consumers at the opposite end of the supply-chain. This removal of an argument, cause it can be denied, adds nothing here. It is plausible and justified that the OP mentioned about the dent. It show cases the lame packaging methods employed for an HDD packaging. An HDD is not a paper back. Sorry, nor should it be shipped in the same manner.
Dunno if I am on pot or not, you certainly seem like you have come from Lala land or shall we be blunt and say the cuckoo house. Which rock have you been hiding under ? THIS IS THE NORM IN INDIA .. DENIAL

While I appreciate your comments about packaging, they are irrelevant to the subject at hand.

Or maybe lack of training, a sealed HDD is there, toss it in with the others. Or maybe a Co policy too who knows, not all buyers are aware of these little nuances of a business. While I have vigorously advocated FK on this same thread, I would not put it past them affirmatively without any solid information. All said and done, India is still a buyer beware country. (though its changing)

None, of that matters. None of it. Training, lack of it, tossing it with others, buyers being educated about their rights, inspection protocols at the final leg. The selling point has no rights to do this, or assume it, nor should we be thinking up excuses. Yes, if a war happens tomorrow, or half the nation is flood-gated with water, I can understand. Venturing into the e-model, yes, companies like FK will have to deal with fraudulent buyers (after all we all want a free-lunch); but that is part and parcel of the game, and the consumerism model does not function with the start point being "doubt the buyer".

Is it not the duty of sellers to educate buyers, the end costumers...? I just remembered, I picked up a replacement battery for a DELL INSPIRON 1545. Have any of you done this. The packaging is like....believe me, it was stellar. That ~6" x 2" battery was embedded in a fully sealed cardboard box: ~15" x 5" box. With foam inside. And the battery was inside two zip lock bags. When the person bought the battery (in this box), to me at the node, I was like "this is not my product". Looked like a laptop box...! LOL. That is way it should be done.

Dunno if I am on pot or not, you certainly seem like you have come from Lala land or shall we be blunt and say the cuckoo house. Which rock have you been hiding under ? THIS IS THE NORM IN INDIA .. DENIAL

While I appreciate your comments about packaging, they are irrelevant to the subject at hand.

I am from Lala-Land, which is India, but at least I am not behaving like one...! :) Also not from the cuckoo house, but anyone who is reading this thread will say three things: Either you are working for FK, are nuts in your head, or plain dumb-troll. I have too been under a rock, but came out of it long back. That is what my posts are reflecting. See your attitude and mannerisms to defend a company. You are plainly saying, that FK should deny consumer complaints. Is that the way to set up businesses, God knows what ethics and morals you posses. Soon you will say, we should just deny receipt of merchandize and ask for refunds. Shut up.

Thanks for the appreciation around the packaging, but it is pertinent to this thread. If you do not find them so, stay out, and stop your useless rant and tangential movement of the thread.

None, of that matters. None of it. Training, lack of it, tossing it with others, buyers being educated about their rights, inspection protocols at the final leg. The selling point has no rights to do this, or assume it, nor should we be thinking up excuses. Yes, if a war happens tomorrow, or half the nation is flood-gated with water, I can understand. Venturing into the e-model, yes, companies like FK will have to deal with fraudulent buyers (after all we all want a free-lunch); but that is part and parcel of the game, and the consumerism model does not function with the start point being "doubt the buyer".

Is it not the duty of sellers to educate buyers, the end costumers...? I just remembered, I picked up a replacement battery for a DELL INSPIRON 1545. Have any of you done this. The packaging is like....believe me, it was stellar. That ~6" x 2" battery was embedded in a fully sealed cardboard box: ~15" x 5" box. With foam inside. And the battery was inside two zip lock bags. When the person bought the battery (in this box), to me at the node, I was like "this is not my product". Looked like a laptop box...! LOL. That is way it should be done.

Well if you want that kind of packaging and are feeling rich, go to Dell for your HDDs and they will oblige you, AT A PRICE. I have already said as much. But do not expect the same at cut throat prices.

As for Dells packaging, there is something called over packaging. I have received 14 5mm screws each packed individually, in a plastic bag, which were then packed in 14 different sponge padded boxes each about 6" x 5" x 1"

Dell had some very liberal policies which were abused on this very forum leading them to also adopt a policy of "doubt the buyer"

Forget about educating anyone, start speaking up for yourself and your neighbors and that is enough.

Stop buying biscuits where 10% of the content is broken. Have you ever complained ???? How many have?

I am from Lala-Land, which is India, but at least I am not behaving like one...! :) Also not from the cuckoo house, but anyone who is reading this thread will say three things: Either you are working for FK, are nuts in your head, or plain dumb-troll. I have too been under a rock, but came out of it long back. That is what my posts are reflecting. See your attitude and mannerisms to defend a company. You are plainly saying, that FK should deny consumer complaints. Is that the way to set up businesses, God knows what ethics and morals you posses. Soon you will say, we should just deny receipt of merchandize and ask for refunds. Shut up.

Thanks for the appreciation around the packaging, but it is pertinent to this thread. If you do not find them so, stay out, and stop your useless rant and tangential movement of the thread.

From your post, I guess you need some English lessons too.

Please point out where have I said .. FK should deny consumer complaints ...

Do not think just cause you are a Mod you can say anything and I will back down, some may do it, but it wont be me for sure.

Well if you want that kind of packaging and are feeling rich, go to Dell for your HDDs and they will oblige you, AT A PRICE. I have already said as much. But do not expect the same at cut throat prices.
Bull-shi** argument. And you put it in before. You really did not get the point of the OP. Go and read it again, then come here. Everyone will oblige anyone, as long as they have money, so the above is pure useless ad hominem. Do remember, the WD from DELL is the same WD from FK. Packaging does not change that much of margins when selling in bulk.

As for Dells packaging, there is something called over packaging. I have received 14 5mm screws each packed individually, in a plastic bag, which were then packed in 14 different sponge padded boxes each about 6" x 5" x 1"
At last some appreciation, even if being critical. But I can understand. Packaging, insures non - duplicate articles, theft negation and security.

Forget about educating anyone, start speaking up for yourself and your neighbors and that is enough.
I meant the sellers educating consumers. Like how there used to be the ISI mark. Moron. Or how companies warn users about plagiarism and view for authenticity.

Stop buying biscuits where 10% of the content is broken. Have you ever complained ???? How many have?
They go in my mouth, and I chew. The biscuit does not go as a square down my throat. What an idiotic example. he he

Teach me, then.

Sorry: then you meant the OP is denying, or faking it. Even more dumb. Or explain what I misunderstood. I am open for your thoughts.

Do not think just cause you are a Mod you can say anything and I will back down, some may do it, but it wont be me for sure.
Ad hominem = No reply. I MOD in CPU/Hardware/OC, and P2P. Not here. So shut up with your stupidity, and continue the argument, else get out.

Dell had some very liberal policies which were abused on this very forum leading them to also adopt a policy of "doubt the buyer"

Sorry, I missed the above line. "Doubt the buyer" means, cross question and seek and deduce. How else can they cross reference what the OP is saying about the condition of the HDD. To negate that, we mentioned making a video or clipping pictures. Not all can do that. But if companies walk around with a shroud of suspicion for all consumers, then it really is not going to work (what you are suggesting). In this case, it goes against FK, cause they packed the HDD like a book and not like a delicate device. That is all there is. FK's; "doubt the buyer" here, is baseless, then, if they are using it. It is how, people were ordering replacement rubber caps for Corsair pen drives. Abuse. Hard to tell. Put in mechanisms, that it cannot be.

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but Flipkart has taken this product down from their website (it was Available) in the morning. Safe to assume they are watching this conversation?

The 3TB WD Green doesn't even show up on their website search and I can only get to it from my bookmark http://www.flipkart.com/wd-caviar-g...0ezrx/p/itmd7cgyf3ttkvpy?pid=IHDD7CGYZEZW7CHN

They term the drive "Permanently Discontinued". I really don't know what to say, the drive is not discontinued obviously. Could be a stock issue (like it has in the past) but they always mentioned "Out of stock". I am now having doubts whether replacement is coming my way due to this recent development. Perhaps I would be offered a refund now.

Would also like to point out that, Flipkart's default policy for any issue with product (DOA, damage in shipment, etc.) is to replace the product and NOT offer refund. Otherwise every customer who got the product and didn't like it/wanted to go with some other product - would just ask for refund on an opened item. If I would have bought the drive locally and Flipkart only did replacement, I may have to end up with two 3TB drives (no requirement for that much storage personally). I only mention this because some member suggested that I should I have brought another drive and took refund from day 1.

Question, how would a recertified drive get into their warehouse for sale?

Which time period are you from?? 1947 and even before that??

Yes you read it right.

I have been reading your comments ever since you first posted in this thread. There is no issue if you want to seek attention or want to try being different from the crowd. But dont overdo it.

Now coming onto the time period, India is not in slavery or in period of no freedom to speech. We all moved on (except for few of us apparently) and we started asking questions and condemn the wrong doers may it be the governoment or the business men and the business itself.
So as the part of the modern India, we have every right to question the quality of service (and we do) provided to us for the price we are paying. No matter if its just a rupee or to a vendor with "poor", "untrained" and illiterate employees or to the tricksters with "i-will-say-whatever-to-defend-myself" attitude or even to the cheaters.

Now if you have any issue with someone condemning the deeds of your beloved FK (infered from your posts so far), feel free to opt out of the thread instead of trolling.

Back