To BB or not to BB?

Speedz

Adept
Clichéd Title I know, but really in a fix.

Looking for a phone around 20k, almost locked in on the Bold 2 or 3 provided I could stretch, but then I am at college right now, and as of now my phone bills are in the sub 200 range, but the BIS plans start at freaking 299, plus the Phone and Text bills.

Main reason why I was looking for the BB was mail access and the BBM obviously, plus the fact that I am still kinda stuck with real keys than touch screen.

Now I am really in a fix, is the recurring expense of the BB worth it? Also, any other alternatives in the same price range with a nice full QWERTY keypad?

Thanks...

Looking for a phone with a nice qwerty keypad, good for calls, messages and mails. Anything else is a bonus. No Samsung or Nokia.Budget 20k, a bit up and down would do. Any Suggestions?

BB 6 is way better than 5 for sure. I tried on the Torch was nice. Anyone mounted it on the Curve 3G. Dhruv, would low memory cause of OS 6 be an issue..?

I tell you wot i use both BB and Nokia and trust me you shud use BB only if you gonna use it for bussiness purpose.

As a student i would advice you to go for Android or a Nokia phone which will be more entertaining for you than BB ...

Whatsapp is there for you to chat with your BB friends provided they have the same....

I would advice you to go for a Android with qwerty ...

BTW i use Bb 8520 and XM5730 both r qwerty but goona change to android and Bb Torch in a weeks time

I would stay out of another dead platform, BB. You have to agree, the reason RIM is focusing so much in India and making stupid "We're the Blackberry Boys" ads for us is because they are losing global market share fast, very fast.

Get an BB if you need BBM and Mail.

@ People talking about alternatives like android etc he will still need a data plan, AFAIK these data plans are costlier then the BB plan.

Get an BB and enjoy @ OP

Hey,

See man u dont have many options out of BB with qwerty
u can check out the E7, moto (android slider), samsung corby pro (but no good the touch is not that good) and one old sony P1i (but doubt u will get it even second hand - my friend had it loved the phone)...

Palm pre 3 - if u can source it from the US directly otherwise in india it will be very expensive... Hey @rite will he be considered ELITE if he gets the PALM PRE 3???

And if u are still confused than just go buy the BB man - any doesnt matter, u wont become a wannabe... U will be using the mails and by *someone* if u use mail than u deserve the BB...

@ANYONE: did anyone figure out a way on how to install OS6.0 on the BB8900 and BB9000???

The reason you can afford phones is because:

1. You have nothing else to spend on.

2. You are a student who earns

If you were 35 years old and had a family of four, then you would need that sort of an income to afford a 30k phone. Else you were just wasting money on what you can't afford.

A 50 L person is also expected to wear 3k shirts as well, so if you just spend on the phone and not on the shirt, it means you can't afford it but still want it. Only if you afford everything a given society expects, is it deemed that you can afford it.

For example I bought a 25k tab, plus 4k on a leather cover, plus 4k on kb, plus 4k on memory card, this is what can be said as comfortably affording. If you a 32gb card or 2k cover pinches you, then you are buying something very expensive for you and just about making ends meet.

And if you really need to buy a BB, wait for sometime for OS 7 hardware. AFAIK Bold 2 is discontinued, Bold 3 costs 25k or so and isn't a touch. So it has to be either Torch or 9300 3G. Though I would recommend a Desire Z if it has a qwerty.

Unless somebody forces you to buy Blackberry, don't buy it.

Here is why you should not buy blackberry

1) Compulsory per month rental plan

2) No Offline GPS Maps

3) least number of Apps

4) paying so much money for a device which hardly has anything except BBM & e-mail not not make sense. Its not worth it.

5) Hardware is outdated & old. Slow processor, crappy quality Screen, blurry Camera.

6) BlackBerrys don’t even look good. The basic design hasn’t even changed over the years. The Bold 9700 is basically a 3G version of the Curve 8900. Looks like RIM has stopped innovating.

7) Gaming is PITA

And here is why you should get blackberry:

1) All your friends have one, join the cult. Do fun on BBM knowing that same can be done using free SMS packs or using what'sup messenger:p

2) you need phone with good keyboard & long battery life but don't really care if its overpriced.

3) Blackberry brand which is losing its appeal fast

And I have ran out of reasons. Can't think of any more:p

[edit]

Some bonus insights:D

Back in the day, RIM ruled the smartphone market but now they are left far behind. On top of that they do not have a clear strategy, no promising products coming up.

If things go this way,even their strongest markets -- Enterprises/Large Institutions will start dropping Blackberry. Therefor I predict, within this year RIM will fire its CEO Mike lazaridis for poor performance & lack of vision.RIM new leadership which can make big decisions & turn things around.

I'd pick an Android any day over BB.

BB is indeed a dying platform, and the way RIM has been attacking their problem doesn't look too convincing to me.

I guess an iPhone could be suggested if you were into those kinda things...but I'd rather give up phones altogether and retire somewhere in the Himalayas (but that's just me, I'm sure)

I think Android is where the future is, with the tight integration of Google services and its open nature. (I'm talking custom ROMs, CM7 FTW!)
One suggestion - go for something powerful - in terms of hardware. I mid-end android would have cut-down software so that it runs smoothly on the phone. You'll see what you've been missing when you throw a custom ROM on there which exposes _all_ the capabilities inherent to Android and then some.

About all the talk on QWERTY keyboards - I used to think I can't live without one too. But with the word prediction becoming so good (at least on Android - look for the 2.3/3.0 stock keyboards or Better Keyboard/Swiftkey in market), I just have to jab in the general position of the letter and I get pleasantly surprising accuracy.

stellarhopper said:
I'd rather give up phones altogether and retire somewhere in the Himalayas (but that's just me, I'm sure)

God that is hilarious... so when u leaving???

Neways man the OP might be so freaking confused with what to do now the he probably will just use his old phone...

I

techno_guy said:
How much has the sale of BB worldwide has gone down since past 12-18 months, any idea ?

I am sure their sales would have increased in the past one year in India

Increased may be because of massive ad campaign done by Airtel/Vodafone. Don't know about India but here are world numbers.

Quoting Gartner,

Meanwhile, Research in Motion's phone sales were stagnant for the most part, as the company maintained three percent share in the market. However, its smartphone OS share dropped significantly, going from 19.7 percent in 2010 to 12.9 percent in 2011. It now sits in fourth place behind Android, Symbian and iOS, which was the only smartphone OS to increase other than Google.

Going forward, analysts say it will be harder for smartphone operating systems to keep up with Google and Apple."Every time a user downloads a native app to their smartphone or puts their data into a platform's cloud service, they are committing to a particular ecosystem and reducing the chances of switching to a new platform. This is a clear advantage for the current stronger ecosystem owners Apple and Google

Read more: Gartner: Nokia, RIM Sink, Android Soars, Windows Phone Has Weak Debut - International Business Times

Well, reading all the posts above. I may be the only one standing up fr Blackberry! Ive been in a habit of flipping phones too soon and too often. Out of all the phones i've come across, the only phone which has really made me want it has been the BB Bold 2(9700). As everyone, even i started with a Nokia, then some other phone of various sorts. And then when my knowledge about phones started to creep into my mind, I had my first Iphone 3Gs in my hands and then experimenting all kinds of phones available in the market. I got rid of the Iphone just because of the poor battery life it had as i used to text very frequently and running other apps untill the battery choked out. Though it used to run out too soon too fast. Then i had my hands on my first Android, SE X10. Which everyone knows is'nt too good. But at that time was considered to be real good. I had it for 2 or 3 weeks max. Then i was in a hurry to get rid of it as i really was frustrated keeping it. The touch was too unresponsive and handling such a big phone does become a pain. And there were too many flaws to bring up, but then i would like to share my story of the blackberry. All my friends were hooked up with their BBs so i naturally got into the trend. And i seriously felt happy with the BB 9700. Good battery life, decent sound quality, decent camera and the keypad was the smoothest ever. I loved the design, then chrome by the sides, and the leather at the back(which some of you may find it crazy that why did i like it?). But i did! Nevertheless i was really satisfied and i never really got bored of my BB than what really happened with my other phones. Though yes, apps maybe less than compared to Android and iOS. But still i was really enjoying my BB. BBM is fun, and i really liked the approach. BBM is what lead to people create WHATSAPP. The OS5 of the BB was flawless in my phone and i really enjoyed it as i had never experienced my phone hanging up, which happened very frequently with my X10(Yes, the newer phones having Android may not have the same problems but the X10 really made my hate Android which i still do). And yes, the BB OS is way better than Symbian which can guranttee.

Ofcourse, the BIS plans are an issue. And without which your BB is lifeless. But yeah there are benefits when you have it. Specially when you're giving your exams. I send pictures of my question paper to my friends who in return send me the pics of the answers, hence which helps me to pass. :p But yeah, thats not advisable though. Ive been more comfortable using Social networking sites on a BB than any other phone. And also, when you're on roaming BIS does not charge anything. And thinking about portable gaming, why not buy a PSP or someother portable gaming gadget than playing on your phone. And yeah, how long can you even go along playing a game on your phone? The heavier the app, reduces the battery life of your phone accordingly. Also, Blackberry is not a multi-media phone. So you cant really think of gaming on a blackberry when buying it. It supports a decent enough media player to really fill the needs of a music player. Even the camera is good enough for the purpose. I wont say its useless or crap but yeah i get good quality images when i click with my phone.

Many may not like the designs of the Blackberrys out, but i've found found them all really attractive. Specially the Bold series and the Torch ofcourse. I really like the feel of the phone when i have them in my hand. I find them real handy and comfortable in handling them. I wont say Blackberrys are a waste of money, anything which doesnt fit in your purpose is a waste of money. It fitted in my purpose, im very much satisfied with my expenditure on my phone.

So, basically its totally upon you. What are your purposes on a phone. Here on TE, the mates can you give you thousands of opinions. But at the end its you to decide. And also, what really attracts you. It should not be a case where you end up regretting buying the wrong phone.

Whats with all the nerd rage against the BB? Granted, there are better multimedia phones out there, in fact there are equally good e-mail phones out there too. But, have you seen the way people use BBs? All they want is messenger and email support. Sure, you can get that on Android too, but the BB is not for the nerd crowd. Its for people who have several friends who are already using BBM. Try convincing these people to change their chat client. Also, these users don't need a billion apps.

Now, I'm not saying BBs are great phones. They are overpriced for what they are. But I don't uderstand all this nerd rage and Android fanboyism.

OP, I've gone through all four pages of this thread, and I'm still not sure what you want from your phone. If all your friends are using BBM, get one for yourself. If you only want basic email support and mulitmedia support, dont. Simple really.

Not all my friends are using BBM, some are some are not. It is definitely not the deciding factor, but a factor weighed into consideration for sure.

I like the way the BB feels, the simple keyboard layout, the bar shape, the responsive interface and yea to an extent the feel of it being a serious phone not just some random gizmo loaded with angry birds and tonnes of pirated movies or sitcoms. As for being overpriced, don't really care as long as there is no pain from the After Sales Service incase of a manufacturing defect.

I liked egobrain's reply, unless I find a phone which feels right, I am gonna go ahead with the BB. What's better for you or even better technically, might not be necessarily better for me.

Back