Top-10 Android Apps Thread

^ Goto Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->Go Launcher and click on clear defaults. When you press the home button again, you'll be asked which launcher to be set as default.

^^ Thanks for the replies guys. Now time for some rant

[rant]

I think there is absolutely no way in android phones that if the phone is switched off the alarm will ring. This is assumed to be a normal feature (if you can call so) in all the phones right from their inception. But...Duh android. Too much reliance on apps.

[/rant]

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

paraman said:
Go to 'Go Launcher' in 'Manage Applications' and click on 'set as default'. Now when you press 'home' you will again be asked which launcher you want to use.
smnrock said:
^In applications management, select your home screen app(launcher 2) and select clear defaults... after that if you click home button it will ask you the options...

Tried this but no on pressing the HOME key i get only 2 options as Go Launcher and Launcher 2 while SPB shell 3D is not coming :S

Does Android really have no free, offline, voice guided navigation maps? I have been breaking my head trying to find one. I have been spoilt by Ovi Maps on my Nokia, but am finding it hard to make the Android my primary due to the lack of maps. It is something I use regularly.

agantuk said:
Does Android really have no free, offline, voice guided navigation maps? I have been breaking my head trying to find one. I have been spoilt by Ovi Maps on my Nokia, but am finding it hard to make the Android my primary due to the lack of maps. It is something I use regularly.
At least not proper one for India at least. :(
I have tried sygic with Map My India maps but i dont like the map layout.

Have tried Ndrive but cannot really comment much.

Google does provide voice guided navigation (but online offcourse) but that is not available for India. As a workaround there is a method mentioned on XDA forums but i am not able to make that work on my blade.

Me too have been spoilt by using Ovi maps navigation and garmin XT which i used on my Nokia 5230 phone earlier.

^ Sad, that inspite of having such a great resource (maps) at disposal, Google has not done anything to provide voice navigation. What is the link on XDA that you are referring to? I am too lazy to root and all, but having a link handy is no harm.

raksrules said:
^^ Thanks for the replies guys. Now time for some rant

[rant]

I think there is absolutely no way in android phones that if the phone is switched off the alarm will ring. This is assumed to be a normal feature (if you can call so) in all the phones right from their inception. But...Duh android. Too much reliance on apps.

[/rant]

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Tried this but no on pressing the HOME key i get only 2 options as Go Launcher and Launcher 2 while SPB shell 3D is not coming :S
try home switched app from market..

alternatively, SPB has blocked itself after verifying your invalid license :p :lol: (ain't kidding )

^^ Yes right. I got a message on screen saying, "We could not identify your purchase blah blah" :p

As it is i did not like SPB, memory and battery hogger. Uninstalled. Happy with Go Launcher EX. (Not a case of Angoor khatte :p)

raksrules said:
^^ Yes right. I got a message on screen saying, "We could not identify your purchase blah blah" :p

As it is i did not like SPB, memory and battery hogger. Uninstalled. Happy with Go Launcher EX. (Not a case of Angoor khatte :p)
Cant really say battery or menory hogger.

Memory is just a cache, just because you have less free memory does not make it memory hogger..the memory is just loaded with frequently used apps.

You may turn off services anyways.

My free ram at ideal on atrix without spb is 285MB.

Occupied memory means faster loading and access to apps.

So don't worryy much about free memory...blade has plenty! ! :)

-This Cryptic Message is brought to you from beyond The MAtrix :p:)

Is everybody using a security app on Android or still not?

I was interested in one which offers security and above all provide me an option to locate my phone if lost and wipe it remotely. Came across few options like Lookout, Mobile Defense, Norton, Phone Locator Pro but don't know which one to go for.

Please advise :)

Update - I tried Phone Locator Pro's remote wipe but it only wipes the phone and leaves the SD Card. Is there any good app which can wipe both phone and SD card? Has anyone tried Seek Droid?

Lol Google engineers can't think in a simple way it seems :p
Basic GPS voice navigation for India is simply not there....luckily I have still my 5230 and the Blade unfortunately is still my backup phone :D

raksrules said:
Anyone using this SMS application, DO NOT UPDATE it, it is not working after update on ZTE blade. Not sure about other phones.
Taking my words back. Just a word of caution. After installing pansi SMS messaging, just start the app from app drawer once so that it syncs with existing messages and only then it works fine.
What i did was that on my home screen the SMS bubble directly opens the app which i did after installing the app but it is better to first open the app from app drawer.

Supra said:
Lol Google engineers can't think in a simple way it seems :p
Basic GPS voice navigation for India is simply not there....luckily I have still my 5230 and the Blade unfortunately is still my backup phone :D
Sygic using Map My India is available but it cannot be called completely legal and moreover understanding that MMI map on sygic is totally out of my mind.
I have tried ndrive using India maps too but not satisfied.
Google is my choice but then again it is only online.

Sygic Map was a big help while getting back to mumbai from surat. Data not required and can work in airplane mode. With voice guided navigation..

For those who are able to find the smoother launcher... The launcher on SPB Shell 3D is the smoothest of all I have ever tested. I am not using the shell now but wish someone could port/part the launcher.

As for complete security. I am working on a stronger solution. :)

We all use appbrain / market to find the apps we want. But i remember putting an app in my phone which was claimed to be more user friendly in making the search for apps simpler. Can anyone tell me what app it was ?

As in one need not know the name of app but just punch in what one wants to do and the apps will list the best app for that reason, something like that.

raksrules said:
We all use appbrain / market to find the apps we want. But i remember putting an app in my phone which was claimed to be more user friendly in making the search for apps simpler. Can anyone tell me what app it was ?

As in one need not know the name of app but just punch in what one wants to do and the apps will list the best app for that reason, something like that.
is it google search? :p

maybe you are talking about applanet.

not sure about the best app but even normal market search will provide you apps by their task/description rather than just app name.

raksrules said:

Here you go:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chomp.android

madnav said:
Sygic Map was a big help while getting back to mumbai from surat. Data not required and can work in airplane mode. With voice guided navigation..
Sounds exactly like something I am looking for. However, I do not see anything by that name in the Market. Is it available by some other name?

Back