Audio Top Tier IEM WAR , Do Participate

esanthosh said:
^ Hey! I am not buying IE7. Was not even interested in IE8 :p

@anubhav,

Frankly, I think you should think about your RE-252 sale, esp. since you say you like them very much. Sometimes, what you hear at that moment may not mean much. But then, when you switch to other IEMs, you will definitely miss them. Happened to me even with Panas. Ask Faheem about missing 252! But, it's your IEM and your decision in the end :)
hmmm , will take your words seriously . this time will be more patient rather than buying in a hurry .

But RE252's are solving the purpose perfectly as of now . If i ask myself , there's no reason i should even think of upgrade :p :p

LoL , if not IEM upgrade , then will add up a CAN . Just love to have variety ... hahaha

PM me if i can expect any of ur can's on sale ??

@esantosh: really, no IE8 :O !! why?

and +1 about rethinking re252, you should atleast keep them till get re252, i mean suppose you sell them and your new IEM are worse than them ( if you go for IE7 i think you will end up this way )!! keep the one which you find are better of the two. ( money is not an issue here ...right ? because you were ready to pay 20K for sm3)

EDIT
Just love to have variety ... hahaha
another esantosh in making.! ...go buy UM mage if you have can afford to have varity

anubhav2345 said:
.....Whereas , TF10 is considered , i think they seem to be a sensible buy as of now .
+1 to the fact that later they can be modded from UM . And nothing beats a Custom Fit Iem . ...
OT - Can see ur signature , SR80i , M50 can's , any plans to sell of any one of them ??

The TF10 is a love it or hate it kind of fit. I know people at my office really give me a wierd look when I ask them to wear them from over the ear.

The IE7 for 6.5k if original sounds like a good deal. Just read up on head-fi on the thread which tells you how to tell the difference between a fake sennheiser IE7 and an original one.

OT : I don't think you'll ever find my Sr80i for sale. Its a very personal attachment to your first audiophile headphone which a lot of you over here will understand.

Hey Anubhav,ie7 is not that ordinary.I had them only for a couple of days but they were indeed impressive.IE8 is not just ie7 and some more bass,the highs are great too so are the mids,my only problem has been the strong bass(not at all bloaty or muddy or anything,you can even feel the fingers on the frets moving between chords)which is like listening to a band live where the sound guy is messing up with bass channel occasionally.I have very limited experience with TF10,but I liked IE8 more.For me it is like SM3>>IE7>IE8

Another thing I would like to add,the built quality of the senns are excellent,the cable with them is just awesome.

strategy said:
@esantosh: really, no IE8 :O !! why?

and +1 about rethinking re252, you should atleast keep them till get re252, i mean suppose you sell them and your new IEM are worse than them ( if you go for IE7 i think you will end up this way )!! keep the one which you find are better of the two. ( money is not an issue here ...right ? because you were ready to pay 20K for sm3)

EDIT another esantosh in making.! ...go buy UM mage if you have can afford to have varity
Now that's a brainy idea .

Well , i was not at all in a hurry to sell the 252's first , it was just this that i put them on sale . And ya money is no issue at all .

This time let the discussion go endless and then a verdict in the end , then a sensible purchase , cause as of now , i am damm confused between , DBA-02 , DDM ( which are tough to source , i am not used to international purchasing ) , TF10 and IE7 , IE8 .

If i go nuts reading and reading about them , then either i will go with the best or will drop the idea and will cont enjoy enjoying my 252's ( which are actually doing the job perfectly ) .

But if no IEM , then hunt for CAN is instantly ON :D :D :D

Yeah the build quality on the IE7 was great, the cables were alright, detachable with memory should be a must at this price point. I hated the supplied tips, could never get a half decent seal and that led to quite a bit of money being spent on comply tips :S

bennysachdev said:
The TF10 is a love it or hate it kind of fit. I know people at my office really give me a wierd look when I ask them to wear them from over the ear.

The IE7 for 6.5k if original sounds like a good deal. Just read up on head-fi on the thread which tells you how to tell the difference between a fake sennheiser IE7 and an original one.

OT : I don't think you'll ever find my Sr80i for sale. Its a very personal attachment to your first audiophile headphone which a lot of you over here will understand.
Buddy , i guess i am gonna like TF10 , finding someone in delhi to audition before i actually buy them .

For IE7 , i have talked to that guy in detail , he is comfortable with this , if someone wants to come and check the authenticity of the IEM's first . He is located in chennai . Although on his self words , he is assuring them to be 100% authentic .

Hmm for the attachment thing , i can understand your thoughts . As me myself coming from a background where almost 2yrs back i used to have creative xen stone plus ( as my PMP ) and a EP 630 with it which used to be very high end at that time . LoL

The kind of attachment i have with them , is almost the same u have with your SR80's :)

But still u can think of selling M50 :p just kidding :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ritvik said:
Yeah the build quality on the IE7 was great, the cables were alright, detachable with memory should be a must at this price point. I hated the supplied tips, could never get a half decent seal and that led to quite a bit of money being spent on comply tips :S
red dragon said:
Hey Anubhav,ie7 is not that ordinary.I had them only for a couple of days but they were indeed impressive.IE8 is not just ie7 and some more bass,the highs are great too so are the mids,my only problem has been the strong bass(not at all bloaty or muddy or anything,you can even feel the fingers on the frets moving between chords)which is like listening to a band live where the sound guy is messing up with bass channel occasionally.I have very limited experience with TF10,but I liked IE8 more.For me it is like SM3>>IE7>IE8

Another thing I would like to add,the built quality of the senns are excellent,the cable with them is just awesome.
This add's to the confusion , as SM3 is a completely different league and price bracket .

But for IE7 and IE8 , we have mixed views , no straight way verdict that either 7 or else 8 is best :S

Ritvik said:
This means IE7 is not much recommended . its all getting tuff to come on a final conclusion .

@anubhav,

I'd suggest that you hold back your RE-252 sale for now. Buy a can and enjoy two different things. Speakers <> Headphones <> IEMs. So, that makes a bit of a sense.

Reading helps, if you have a 'base point' to connect with. Does the reviewer / poster has the same taste as you? Does the signature and presentation preferences match? Then, start following his posts and give more weightage. Over a period of time, you'll gather the "sound personality" of most people you follow regularly and will know which ones to give importance to and which to ignore. That's how you can hit the sweet spot with IEM purchases!

I'd also suggest that you stop asking everybody when they are selling their stuff :p

@strategy,

Somehow, IE8's signature never appealed to me. I may change my mind if I actually audition it. But then, I've started looking more for IEMs that do not "wow" me out of the box, but are "keepers" for the longer period. IE8 may "wow" me, but am not sure I'll keep liking that kind of signature in the long run.

@abhinav :its your decision, people are different!

and why is SM3 is different price bracket ..IE8 for 16.5 , SM3 for 18K shipped

THose Q&A was real i did not make it up, before ordering i was serious about SM3, so i mailed their customer support. they replied a day after. but to my surprise by them amarbir was out with Unique melody!

esanthosh said:
@anubhav,

I'd suggest that you hold back your RE-252 sale for now. Buy a can and enjoy two different things. Speakers <> Headphones <> IEMs. So, that makes a bit of a sense.

Reading helps, if you have a 'base point' to connect with. Does the reviewer / poster has the same taste as you? Does the signature and presentation preferences match? Then, start following his posts and give more weightage. Over a period of time, you'll gather the "sound personality" of most people you follow regularly and will know which ones to give importance to and which to ignore. That's how you can hit the sweet spot with IEM purchases!

I'd also suggest that you stop asking everybody when they are selling their stuff :p
Yes sir !!

Well i was just doing so to avoid making a new WTB thread for CAN's :D :D hahaha , i apologize for asking concerned people reagrding sales of there audio gear in thread , should have taken the PM route :)

@strategy,

Who said that you "made Q&A up"? I got a similar reply too from Earsonics. But, that was too costly for me to even think about proceeding. As I said, I've explored many options :p

@anubhav,

Don't worry! We will take care of depleting your wallet soon! Just slow down a little and think about what kind of signature you want? Do you want something that is different from RE-252 (More bass, warm mids?)? What are your requirements? Wide sound stage or ok with a normal sound stage? If you buy "pairs" like I did for DBA-02 and DDM, you'll have a long shelf life for both.

Depends whats the cost of the new and how much difference in prices of used .

Budget not a big concern , moreover flexible .

Basically a big no for HP's that need seprate amp to shine , say hd 600 , D2000 etc etc

Eyes were on AD 700 , M50 , Shure SRH440 , a few more in the same league .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

esanthosh said:
@anubhav,

Don't worry! We will take care of depleting your wallet soon! Just slow down a little and think about what kind of signature you want? Do you want something that is different from RE-252 (More bass, warm mids?)? What are your requirements? Wide sound stage or ok with a normal sound stage? If you buy "pairs" like I did for DBA-02 and DDM, you'll have a long shelf life for both.
You got it right , more bass than 252 , but in no case should not be much mid bass . Mids i love of 252 . but i know a mix of all is also not available except SM3 . Soundstage - Normal is acceptable , for extra wide i guess i might go with the AD 700 .

Dunno why i am getting more inclined to DDM now , read ur review minutes back , was impressed , also one review at head-fi . does seems to be a sensible purchase :)

esanthosh said:
@strategy,

Who said that you "made Q&A up"? I got a similar reply too from Earsonics. But, that was too costly for me to even think about proceeding. As I said, I've explored many options :p

@anubhav,

no that make up part was for abhinav as he said SM3 is in another price bracket , and next he says he might get the IE8 i was just saying 1.3 more does not mean its in another price bracket.

pairs of DBA and DDM,? , ha ha, i dont get you ,,,..ha ha ,...ha ha ...is it what it reads like ...haha , you have 2 of both ....hs hs .

strategy said:
no that make up part was for abhinav as he said SM3 is in another price bracket , and next he says he might get the IE8 i was just saying 1.3 more does not mean its in another price bracket.

pairs of DBA and DDM,? , ha ha, i dont get you ,,,..ha ha ,...ha ha ...is it what it reads like ...haha , you have 2 of both ....hs hs .
LoL , after so many posts i got confused and at that time of posting , i had in mind that SM3 is costing me over 25k including customs and shipping ( forgot ur quote of some 18k , and that detailed mail Q&A's )

so it was kinda oops thingy :p

Na Na no DBA , was impressed by the DDM only .

DBA is making me worried about its extensive treble . Might give me a headache , even 252's treble was toooo much for me in the very beginning , now after some burn in , it seems to be normalized .

P.S - My name is ANUBHAV not ABHINAV , dunno why 10% of the ppl , read it and address me as ABHINAV , lol , i guess i should go in for a name change in this case :p

Pairs - mean IEMs that complement each other.. as in completing the circle, like a Ying and a Yang.

DBA-02: Bright, fast, treble in your face, lighter on bass, normal sound stage with good depth, great positioning.

DDM: Layered and blended presentation with good textured bass and mids, but recessed & polite treble. SS can be extremely wide sometimes.

Likewise,

RE0: Thin, dry, analytical, normal sound stage, mid-bass hump

HJE900: Euphonic, great timbre, wide sound stage (with the right tips) and great depth, hearty bass which extends well

Except for some IEMs, I try to make sure that each of them are (at least slightly) unique in their presentation.

@esantosh Oh did not read it correctly.. my bad.

again my bad ...anubhav, i have a friend abhinav thats why when i read your name it abhinav got burned in i suppose , every time i address for some reason i remember him.

it will not happen again, sorry.

anubhav2345 said:
You got it right , more bass than 252 , but in no case should not be much mid bass . Mids i love of 252 . but i know a mix of all is also not available except SM3 . Soundstage - Normal is acceptable , for extra wide i guess i might go with the AD 700 .

Dunno why i am getting more inclined to DDM now , read ur review minutes back , was impressed , also one review at head-fi . does seems to be a sensible purchase :)

Just to warn you - DDM's bass is not the "natural" quantity, it's a little bigger. But that's what makes it likable. To my ears, they are not excessive except when it was out of the box and it tried to "steal the show" from the mids a few times.

Panas bass on the other hand, is slightly more natural in string weight because it also has timbre. But at the same time, it is also strange in that the mid-bass quantity is larger.
Now, Xears TD-100's bass - that's higher than all my other IEMs. But I still like it because it's not a bass fart which is just bloated / humped / intrusive into mids, but cleaner and extends deep like Hippo VB.

In all cases, I considered extension and quality of bass more and quantity was a secondary criteria. And what is "natural" quantity to my ears may be excessive to you and vice versa. In short, YMMV :)

Back