Travelling to Russia - money advice needed

Hi guys,
Have plans to travel to Russia .
I needed advice with two things....mostly money related.
With visa and mastercard banned now and I think western union banned too. I dont know how to deal with this issue.
Will rupay card work? what choices do i have if i need to use my credit cards or atms there?

Last edited:
Ru pay and UPI integration in Russian payment system are still several months away. Even china Unionpay card issued by russian banks has been suspended or not working , due to fear of secondary sanctions.

So untill some state owned banks start services, private banks will chicken out due to fear of secondary sanctions.

Ru pay and UPI integration in Russian payment system are still several months away. Even china Unionpay card issued by russian banks has been suspended or not working , due to fear of secondary sanctions.

So untill some state owned banks start services, private banks will chicken out due to fear of secondary sanctions.
Thanks man.
Yes situation is totally bad. I am watching too.

Does taking usd work ? Will the banks accept usd? Or can I get in trouble for that .
I believe western union will also not work.
Moneygram not sure.

I think taking hard cash in form of USD is the best bet. You can take up to 3000 USD as per RBI guidelines. Given the current economic situation, I doubt banks or money exchanges in Russia will refuse dollars.

Whats the point of taking USD to russia. Its illegal to use USD and Euro in russia. Once there you will have to convert this into rubles.

If you are really that sure of visiting russia, might as well just buy rubles from rupee. Instead of rupee to usd then to ruble.

Since russia traders are now demanding rubles from for its exports to India. Might as well try make use of rubles bought by India. Some bank in India is definitely trading rupee to ruble. Since we import a majority of fertilizers, sunflower oil from russia

Only the crude oil and Gas from russia have a exception for paying in USD/Euro.

Hi guys,
Have plans to travel to Russia .
I needed advice with two things....mostly money related.
With visa and mastercard banned now and I think western union banned too. I dont know how to deal with this issue.
Will rupay card work? what choices do i have if i need to use my credit cards or atms there?
Where in Russia ?

Had to post, sorry

Attachments

• 310830865_2331327803698757_5487558880343554724_n.jpg
    310830865_2331327803698757_5487558880343554724_n.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 125
Well just explore webmoney
Create an account, verify and upgrade using your passport details
I Beleive they issue virtual cards ( i may be wrong) please check and explore as webmoney is Russia based otherwise you ll do just fine with webmoney wallet if at all you can figure their multiple options like wme wmz and god knows what others

Ever wonder what crypto was good for ? transactions with Russia

Here are some students using an app called binance.

Ask in the comment section for clarifications they seem responsive.
Thanks. Quite helpful.

Atleast that is one option .
I am hoping Rupay is integrated soon .

Let's see how this goes.

My advice is not to risk and cancel your plan...Your entire family will live in anxiety until your return..
I guess the risk needs to be studied but there are opportunities in store for those that dare. Not speaking Russian does not seem to be a problem if you're in a major metro. There was a techie exodus recently, these guys can afford to pay the high rates. These idiots are the least likely to get drafted yet ran for the door. They went and camped in Turkey which is the base for IT operations for Russia.

In terms of conflict, I see no risk. The risk is much higher in Ukraine. Not Russia.

The issue is more simple like getting stranded with no money. There might be other day-to-day things too. What if you get sick or something?
By early next year Jan.
Any support network for you there? Someone or an institution you know.

Last edited:
Any support network for you there? Someone or an institution you know.
friends.
Money is my only concern as of now. looking for easy and safe options.
going to wait for while and watch where this Ukraine war goes from here. ...I think we will soon get to see if either some negotiation happens and peace or this will blow out in full scale war.

Back