Ubuntu Fan thread

Ubuntu user here !! On 16.10 now.

I don't care much about the looks and all. Unity works just fine. Have all the apps I need, great tutorial/community - most of the problems I face are already answered - at least twice !!! :p :p

Normally for web-dev works I use it.

I have Ubuntu on my vps production box. During the initial setup time, I found it easier to keep similar OS on the both, and still continuing.

I've been working on Cent OS at office and now have Win 10 / Ubuntu 16.04 LTS dual boot at home and I'm loving it. I'm curious to know why people dislike Unity. I know it's all about preference but I wonder what it is that they don't prefer about it. I've personalized it to my liking with the unity tweak tool and it seems great!

Last edited:
I like Unity, now when it rests at bottom. Was not a fan when it was on the left side. I have also reduced the size of launcher. It looks more like a Windows environment right now.

I like Unity, now when it rests at bottom. Was not a fan when it was on the left side. I have also reduced the size of launcher. It looks more like a Windows environment right now.
Exactly! Although I do prefer it on the left side while coding because I like the extra vertical space since much of the horizontal space is not utilized (PEP8).

Last edited:
I mainly use Ubuntu, because it is main stream. Every app for Linux has a .deb version, every problem has an answer on Google, there is a good support community for my queries, a lot of bloggers write about it, drivers are available for almost all hardware etc. That is one reason I have not experimented with other distros, yet.

Let me take this opportunity to convey my hatred towards ubuntu:bag:
NXitSi8uUR-L1ZZ63wGnPjlNE6rRNo0ESn5he50kWzU.jpg

I'd suggest you start with "OMG Ubuntu" and "Full Circle" blogs. Then there is "Planet GNOME", Planet KDE, Planet Fedora etc...

What I did was start with a few blogs, then as and when they publish articles with links to other blogs I just add them to my online Feedly account :)

Back