CPU/Mobo [Upgrading] Motherboard for Pentium 4 2.66Ghz 506

acccording to me you should upgrade your rig,I dont think it can be a workstation and handle games in 1-2 years to come,if you are going tostick with current configuration..

just refer the PC buying guide in TE,you'll get a prety good idea of your reqiurements and components reqiured..

Are you sure, your P4 is 775 pin proccy? AFAIK, P4's are 478 pins. they have actually have the pins, as opposed to 775 contact points on modern proccy's.

modern P3x, G3x and forward wont support your proccy. you need to look out for older series of motherboards. they are 845, 865 and 915 series of intel mobo's which would support your proccy. they have support for ddr1 ram (915 might support ddr2, not sure of this).

i am saying this since i had a p4 system a couple of months back.

mhamirma said:
Are you sure, your P4 is 775 pin proccy? AFAIK, P4's are 478 pins. they have actually have the pins, as opposed to 775 contact points on modern proccy's.

modern P3x, G3x and forward wont support your proccy. you need to look out for older series of motherboards. they are 845, 865 and 915 series of intel mobo's which would support your proccy. they have support for ddr1 ram (915 might support ddr2, not sure of this).

I am 100% sure that my proccy is LGA 775 pic. Chk this link out:
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium 4 506 Prescott 2.66GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Single-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops. But not sure that G31 will support or not.

G31 will not support.

i did some googling and got the following.

use this link to get a list of intel mobo's.

Desktop Boards - Supported processors

click on the mobo's link to see the list of proccy's supported by that particular board. i checked and found out that intel D915GVWB is one of the boards supporting it. i dont think any boards above 915 series would support your proccy.

infact, if you refer to the product link that you've given above (Newegg.com - Intel Pentium 4 506 Prescott 2.66GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Single-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops), see the customer reviews, ppl have mentioned the motherboards that they've purchased along with this proccy. i hope this helps.

mhamirma said:

All the newer P4's were socket 775. I myself have used a P4 640 3.2Ghz on a Gigabyte G31 and it ran like a dream. Unfortunately though it was an 800Mhz FSB chip which is why i cannot confidently recommend the Gigabyte G31 to the TS. But im still pretty sure it should work. Might be a bad analogy but if a motherboard supports 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, why won't it support 667Mhz?
AFAIK any socket 775 processor will work with that board, the only sad thing is i cannot verify this claim.
As far as upgrading goes, if the TS is lucky enough to get his current CPU working on the G31M ES2L, it opens the door for him for many processor upgrades in the future.

@TS
If you buy the board from a trusted dealer, you should be able to return it if it doesn't work. Its a great board so the trouble is worth it incase it does work =)
Also, i hope you realize that you will need DDR2 memory for this thing.

bodmas said:
Guys chk this out: BIOSTAR :: G31-M7 TE :: Specification. This mobo supports supports 533Mhz and above.

The link given clearly states the biostar mobo would support your proccy. due to changes in bios revisions which isn't the case with gigabyte...but i found out that gigabyte G41ES2L mobo supports your processor&is available with itwares for 3100/-i would say go for gigabyte if you can...:)

check the link below....

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-G41M-ES2L (rev. 1.0)

Friends, Now tell me should i go for Biostar G31-M7 or Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L.

I love overclocking and my future proccy will be C2D E4300 1.8Ghz.

bodmas said:
As i said before go with gigabyte due to good o/c capability,solid capacitors etc etc....Also i found that your processor has multiplier of 20 which means you can overclock like hell...:eek:hyeah:

Just use it&get enough juice before it goes kaput....:)

bodmas said:

Neither. Get the Gigabyte G31M ES2L.

Amien said:
Neither. Get the Gigabyte G31M ES2L.

+1.
I was recently digging a mobo for my old p4 3.06, socket 775, 533 MHZ.
took the CPU to lammy, asked the dealer to check display with this MOBO, and it worked.
got G31M-ES2L. works like charm

shotgun said:
+1.
I was recently digging a mobo for my old p4 3.06, socket 775, 533 MHZ.
took the CPU to lammy, asked the dealer to check display with this MOBO, and it worked.
got G31M-ES2L. works like charm

@shotgun...Could you psot temps because i have read people reporting higher temps with this board for 533FSB CPUs.....:)

sri_k said:
@shotgun...Could you psot temps because i have read people reporting higher temps with this board for 533FSB CPUs.....:)

For Last full week, I did not observe any abnormal temps. but I use this CPU+Mobo for lighter office work (Word + Excel + occasional Web Browsing).
No overclocking stuff.

Average Temp
CPU - 37-43 Degrees

1. I think the Socket 478 CPU's had a problem with temprature. Not the LGA 775 one's
2. BIOS Update also might have something to do with it. (ive updated to latest)

Back