Audio URGENT:Best Speakers for <= 4k ? Altec Lansing VS4121?

greenhorn said:
play a lot of bass . the bass and mids should improve over the first few days :)

At low volumes the mids have no sweet 3D Sound depth... Yea I guess they need a gud amt of speaker burn-in....

bond_212 said:
how are these speaker in trance music??

if u have space to keep speakers 5ft apart, then these speakers are almost IDEAL for TRANCE coz of fololwing reasons,

Pros:

HUGE BASS

VERYYYYYYYYY CRISP Hi-end

Verrrryyyyyyy Accurate overall freq response

They equalize veryyyyyyyyy well

Speakers have HUGE POWER and give their BEST performance in 15% to 80% Volume (the sweet spot lies smwhere near 60% of max)

Cons:

Mid-range music dsnt yet have as much depth as cmpared to Hi-End headphones / MX-5021 speakers/Z2300 etc.

But maybe this is jst a matter of time as New speakers need burn-in time to open up fully as also stated by GreenHorn in the prev post...

Conclusion: These are the AWESOME speakers as compared to anything which costs less than Rs. 5k...

Next is Edifier c3 for arnd 5k but i really feel that they are not worth spending 2k more than these speakers...

But incase u jst want something that sounds very good at 10% of max volume, then u shud cnsider sm odr speakers

^^ The sound depends a LOT on placement, quality of source audio, eq etc etc etc.

I heard my Artis speakers being demoed and was like Wow ! But at home they did not sound too good, may be it was because of my room being small or just bad placement.

its been 11 days since i purchased these n i have been listening to lots of high volume music/movies..... Yes they seem to open up a bit n now the mids feel relatively better.

also, i discovered, these speakers truly come alive when playing some desi beats! ws listening to "Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye"'s music n the Dhol ws Life-like! :) :)

Need some help I bought altec lansing VS3251 for 4100/- & cant get them working.

Asus P5B mobo /onboard sound enabled & working fine with creative 2.1 speakers.

I connected the base unit its powered up & changed the audio setting to 5.1 but no sound coming from any of the unit.

Something is wrong but i cant figure out what?

partly sorted out the problem, I uninstalled the soundmax drivers, disabled the onboard card & then enabled & it asked for the driver & it downloaded automatically from MS site now I am getting 5.1 sound but a funny thing is that if I am on surround 5.1 mode the subwoofer does not give much bass output (its too week), when I press the stereo button the sound goes 2.1 with good subwoofer output.

Does subwoofer not work in 5.1 mode as loud its in 2.1 mode or is it still some driver problem?

I will get these speakers replaced by some other brand so kindly suggest me good 5.1 speakers which has good subwoofer output n 5.1 mode.

I don't game at all but need 5.1 for its surround capability which give immersive quality to music.

Yaar usually music is best on 2.1 coz its recorded in Stereo..

But if u like 5.1, then Logitech X540 is the BEST option IMHO...

I reviewed evrythiing b4 buying my VS4121, n if i had a budget of 5.3k, it wud have bot the X540 for sure! :)

Search for the X540 review on TE by iGo..

Go ahead, Buy them, w/o a Second thot! :)

I returned the altec VS3251 & looking for

logitec X540 for 5400/-

or

Altec Lansing MX5021 2.1 7400/-

In last 10 yrs I have only used 4.1 creative with Live value! sound card & it still beat others in sound separation. Altec which i tested could not deliver the punch as close to the creative 4.1 speakers.

I mainly need these speakers for my Kids comp playing games/movies/TV watching & for music.

few questions i have

1. Does tatasky (few channels) give surround sound effects which can be played well by 2.1 speakers? I played by hooking my creative 4.1 to tatasky & few channels such as Star gold/etc/zee studio/pogo gave fantastic surround effect but the speakers were working on 2.1 mode only, is there a way to get 5.1 sound from tatasky?

2. I have a big room in which this comp/tv will be kept so i need to place the 2 speakers at rear & sub woofer in front will i get surround sound when playing kids game in this 2.1 settings, the reason keeping the 2 speakers at rear (where we sit)that there is 15 feet distance while watching TV/movies.

3. For such a setting I prefer 5.1 but will it work with my asus P5b onboard sound or will I need to buy a sound card? Reading the comments from some members that 2.1 also are quite capable in giving surround effect I may buy 2.1 speakers & avoid the rear cabling mess which happens with 5.1

4. I tested tatasky & it gives 2 channel stereo sound only so I guess 5.1 wont be possible while watching TV right? or is there a way out for 5.1?

5. 5.1 will only work for games & movies, music will only get surround support from the rear speakers, right?

6. Is it better to buy multimedia speakers for Tv or buy home theater 5.1 speakers for TV/movies?

Need to decide by tomorrow if possible.

Only 1 answer to all those questions:

X-530 (Wired remote) or X-540 (Wireless remote)

Supports 2.1 -> 5.1 vitual matrix mode

PLEASE USE A SOUND CARD ALONG WITH ANY SPEAKER SET U R TESTING/PLANNING TO USE>

(Any Onboard audio is Audio HELL :mad:)

Sato,

Does X-540 have a wireless remote, I don't think so.

I actually have to connect 5.1 speakers to a home theater system as follows.

In my living room I have tatasky which will be connected to these 5.1 speakers, i will also buy a dvd player which will also connect to the same speakers. Not sure if I can connect directly since DVD audio pins are different I may need a converter cable.

From my study room where the computer is kept, i will extend 5 mts of 3 audio cables & input to the 5.1 speakers.

For such a multiple requirement, is it better to buy X540 5.1 speakers or Logitech G51

or

should I look for dedicated home theater speakers along with DVD player.

Sony & Philips make home theater sets which i can buy for 10-12K

uve got a nice plan there.

i wud recommend the Logitech Z5500 for 16-17k as ur living room must be big n hence it will require speakers with a Huge RMS.

Sry i dont have any idea abt home theater systems, u better post a new thread for it.

I am also looking for a good 2.1 setup <5k. I had started a thread (http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/altec-lansing-vs4121-better-than-altec-134535.html) and desiibond suggested Logitech Z-4 over the Altec Lansing VS4121. Actually, I am looking for a speaker set that will sound better in music than my current Altec Lansing 251. Anyway, I read in some other forum on the net where someone recommended the VS4121 over the Z-4. Also, tomsguide.com reviewed the Z-4 and the VS2221 (Tom's Guide: Your High-Tech Source of Information) and there was no diff. between them. I'm guessing that the VS4121 is better than the VS221. I need more opinions before I buy.

P.S. How much does Edifier C3 cost?

Will Anyone in here tell me if the Altec Lansing VS 3251E are any good?

or Altec Lansing VS4121 is the way to go?

Am into a lot of TV series and movies....so Im a bit doubtful about 2.1

IS anyone going to answer my question? I had asked the same question thrice earlier but there was no response from anyone...No body owns a Altec Lansing VS 3251E in here?

I do not want to make my decision on the reviews available, I want to know if they really are good enough to spend 4.1k from someone who actually owns it.

Back