WP User impressions Nokia Lumia 822

mjumrani

Skilled
I think it would be nice to have a dedicated windows phone thread.

Ill start it up.

I received my 822 today and here is how I feel about it,
(822 is the same as 820, expect for looks, so the review would be valid for both)
(My primary phone is iPhone 5)

The phone feels really nice when held considering its plastic.
Compared to this all Samsungs are leagues behind in build quality.

When I saw it in the pics at Nokia's website, it looked ancient, but it isn't. Frankly I feel it's not bad looking at all.

But as far as the OS is concerned, I'm not that happy.

For one WP8 cannot sync with outlook's offline profile. I mean if Microsoft can sync it's 2 products then how will thy manage the rest.
I still don't know how to sync the calendar with the phone, I have synced the contacts through a Microsoft live account.

Also there is no dedicated contact list for phone numbers. Facebook and the rest are all shown together.

The camera is not nice as I expected. It's crap frankly, iPhone 4/4S/5 are leagues ahead.

Sound quality out of the headphone jack is OK at best. The speakers could have been louder and without the shrill. It's ok for normal use, don't sound so good when music is played off them

Data sense is a neat feature which allows you to track mobile data usage

App Store is more underwhelming than I thought. Very limited apps and I didn't like the quality of most apps.

The home screen UI is interesting, especially with the people, FB and best friends' tiles. But I'm sure I will get bored pretty soon.

The camera app has a button which lists all types of lenses and addons for photo clicking. Pretty helpful as you needn't run around to the find the app you want when you need to click a pic fast

The settings are built in a modular way, so when Nokia wants to update a particular setting to add or remove a feature, it just shows that update, and there is no need to overhaul the system. This feature I love above iOS because iOS is idiotic in that matter, requiring a full reset of the device

Updates for applications show up individually. Whatever is required can be updated at the will of the user.

On the home screen:
wp_ss_20130424_0002.jpg

Upon clicking the Store icon:

wp_ss_20130424_0003.jpg

Images resized.

Ok got it @Gannu but am still confused why @mjumrani mentioned that it requires reset of system in iOS. In iOS too we can update the individual apps if we want to right ?
Or am i missing something major here. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok got it @Gannu but am still confused why @mjumrani mentioned that it requires reset of system in iOS. In iOS too we can update the individual apps if we want to right ?
Or am i missing something major here. :confused:

What I meant to say is that in iOS for change in options or settings or any minor upgrade like iOS 6.1.2, we have to update the whole phone instead of just updating the Microsoft exchange feature.

In windows phone the update would just come for the email app.

For settings say apple wants to add or remove modification of APN settings, in that case they would release a iOS update while in windows phone only the AccessPoint module of settings will be updated thus presenting a full reset.

PS: phone was bought slightly used though it doesn't look it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really bad review, especially of the OS. I think i'l write something to show how awesome it is.
But just to mention the whole OS has an amazing flow to it. Its like butter. Never felt anything remotely similar when using android. With android it was mostly cursing stupid apps or the OS.

This is a really bad review, especially of the OS. I think i'l write something to show how awesome it is.
But just to mention the whole OS has an amazing flow to it. Its like butter. Never felt anything remotely similar when using android. With android it was mostly cursing stupid apps or the OS.

It's just a user impression. And I'm very bored of the OS and the lack of applications.

Nonetheless I would love to read what you write and see if I can find something new.

My friendly recently bought this and we have a doubt on the item description in which seller had mentioned : The ESN has been checked with CheckMEND background reporting and is clear. (This phone will only work with Verizon service and can be activated with an existing contract.)

Will it only work with Verizon clueless i am... we are already using it for few days now with local sim...

My friendly recently bought this and we have a doubt on the item description in which seller had mentioned : The ESN has been checked with CheckMEND background reporting and is clear. (This phone will only work with Verizon service and can be activated with an existing contract.)

Will it only work with Verizon clueless i am... we are already using it for few days now with local sim...

It will be ebay US listing and hence seller has mentioned that it will work with Verizon (since ESN is clean and not bad). The GSM part will be unlocked for global use and hence you are able to use with the normal local SIM.
Nothing to worry about.

Yes...Avoid the portico update. It breaks SMS(cant send sms but can received) and also removes the option to add internet/mms apn:mad:

Is this only for the 820/822? Because all the Indian 920s came with the Portico from the factory and I have no issues with this update.

Back