Audio Very early impressions of my newest IEM

thirumalkumaran said:
Santosh....

I think this review seems to be nearly resembling yours...

EarSonics SM3 Review | Anything But iPod

Who is influenced by who...?

His review pre-dates mine by months :). I have also commented on his review if you scrolled down.

{Here I mentioned about the fact that I don't plagiarize stuff and I write based on what I hear. But his 'charges' were not about them at all. Addressed them all here}

strategy said:
santosh , as i have said before the 262's treble does not lack detail !! Its just very laid back ! :( (for my tastes )

I guess then it's similar to RE-252. Detailed, but inoffensive, smooth and laid-back. But I guess the best way to test is to actually A-B them, rest is all speculation :p

SM3 to my ears is very detailed across the spectrum. It doesn't lack anything. I shortly A-B-ed them with DBA-02 and the damn DBA-02 still sounds good to my ears. I guess just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my ears seem to prefer DBA-02 / RE0 kind of signature the most, even though many 'faults' can be listed if one wants to :)

strategy said:
Mukul, i doubt tHe sm3's treble as like 262's, i thing they are forward than it ! cause the SM3 are seldom criticized for their treble while the only thing i read (/SAY) against the re262 are its treble and build !
ppl do hear differently :)

i believe santhosh more thn head-fi

^ And I'll rather trust an actual A-B. So, who's going to send me his RE-262? :D

......And I crossed 500 posts :D. Damn! long way to catch up with strategy!

^ With a suitcase full of IEMs? :p. Could do that!

I might be able to send some of my IEMs over after say a couple of months. Would be interesting to see how others feel about them. But that does not include SM3, because they have fragile written all over them (and I really like them). You really need to see and feel the housing in order to realize that :(. I just hope that I pass through the next few months without reporting breaking of housing and using Super glue.

^^

i m too much in love with 262 right now..........they just sound wonderful & right(natural not neutral) to my ears

i dnt feel i need any more iem fr d time being(atleast 1.5 to 2yrs).......

i really want u to hear re262......

and yeah take very gud care f sm3.........they r not less thn a diamond fr music lovers

I did not want to do this. But, if I kept quiet, it would seem like I accept that I did some sort of plagiarism from dfkt's review.

Since you had asked I would like to point out the similarities I or any person would immediately notice from those two...

1. Build quality impressions (both say they are cheap)

2. Comfort (you both guys compare exactly to TF10...?)

3. Similar comments about cables.

4. similar comments about the chin clip/strain reliever.

5. WOW initial reaction of disliking and you adjust to its hearing.

6. And emphasis on the speed of the BA (Sorry i have not read many reviews empasising the speeds of BA drivers)

and worst part these all follow in the same order.

and still worse I could not locate your comment (Pls don't say you are Ma_t14 )

But sorry, this might be the findings which i could find or any reader may find when going through them.

BTW I'm not in a offesive mode. Just made them to clear my point...

Feel free to contact....

My replies in order:

1) Build quality is piss poor. It does feel like cheap plastic. You can say this in isolation and also the fact that next to the Pana's Zirconias or the well built Ortofon e-Q5, these feel cheap and plasticky. I don't need dfkt's review to lift this idea. All I need is to keep them side by side and feel them. Do I need to use esoteric language just in order to differentiate? That will only scream that I know/lifted words from the dictionary, which has nothing to do with the purpose of a first impression/full fledged review - which is to convey what I think to others as simple as possible.

2) A misunderstanding. dfkt compares the SM3's comfort to that of TF10. I've never uttered a word about "comfort" as these fit snugly sometimes and their square shape hurts sometimes. I reserve that part for my full review after using them for a while, not in 3 hours unless they are very uncomfortable or extremely comfortable.

I compared SM3 in build quality to TF10. I've earlier posted link to a thread where one person has reported SM3 breaking (In Top-tier IEM thread - here. And while you are there, please read the post I am replying to. It also mentions the poor $20 chinese IEM like construction. Hey! May be I stole this idea from many others and not by something I can see, touch, compare and write?). In the last page of the SM3 appreciation thread, another person too has reported the same. We know that TF10 does not have the greatest build quality either (shells breaking on changing cables, though it may be due to poor handling by the users themselves)

3) dfkt is satisfied with the twisted cable because it's the same as custom IEMs, whereas I am complaining about the fact that a twisted cable is only as thick as my Ortofon e-Q5 cable. BTW, Fischer Audio DBA-02 also uses twisted cables, but it is much thicker and feels more sturdier to handle than this. It's not that it won't last. But at this price point, I'd rather have a detachable cable than spending lot of Euros to send them to France in case something goes wrong.

4) For anybody who has tried many IEMs, it's an easy fact to pick. The first time I wore them, the chin slider was literally at my chin and had no space left to go. It took some time for me to even wear them over the ear. And again handling these cheap shells was not easy. Some IEMs don't come with chin slider at all and they are a different mess altogether.

5) If someone is familiar with my Panasonic HJE-900 review, they'd know that I can hate and later like them. I can also like them like RE1 and then hate them. Sure Ortos were more forward in comparison, but I figured that out only after a direct A-B. Prior to that, I felt that the mids were too forward. "In your face" is a term both I and dfkt used. For anybody who has written comments on sound signature / reviewed, these are not uncommon phrases to use to describe something. I have used it to describe how treble sounds in my DBA-02 review earlier too!

6) I have mentioned this a LOT before. I have read even more about the differences between BAs and dynamics. In the same DBA-02 review linked above, I've mentioned about BA speed. In fact, I think many of my impressions / reviews have mentioned that.

They follow in the same order probably because it's logical or simply how my thought process works. I can say something on the lines of "greater minds think alike", but I am not as good or experienced as dfkt. His reviews are more professional, thorough and honest. I am just trying to be honest. Besides, look at how much time he waited before he wrote the review - months. And his Cowon J3 review is one of the most complete reviews I've ever come across. I am just an excited and opinionated guy sharing my excitement with fellow IEM connoisseurs.

My comment is the third one with my full name mentioned in the comment post. I posted that before starting this thread. Do you see any similarities in what I stated there and here?

Again, I take no offense to what he said. I would not usually go to the extent of putting a PM on a public thread and go on ranting. But in this case, if I only clarified to him, no one else would know what his complaints are. Sorry for doing this. But instead of being a gentleman and coming across someone who plagiarizes simple stuff (which can easily be verified with one's own eyes, touch and ears), I'd rather do this.

Secondly, I'd venture to say that all reviews / impressions are opinions basically. An opinion becomes a FACT only if other people can verify it. Sound preferences and description of sound signature apart, I am sure if somebody else here reviews them, they'll mention the very same facts about build quality or chin slider or cable. It's a bit over stretching to accuse somebody of "being inspired" by another reviewer just because their opinion on build quality matches. Many people would agree on the signature as long as a reviewer / one writing impressions takes time and care to post a honest and detailed opinion. Doesn't mean they all get influenced by the review.

first 4 are will always be same with any honest reviewer .( rather MUST BE SAME )

as for 5th even red Dragon says the SM3 are very different IEMs. and almost everyone says they adjust accouding to the music ( have to try them to believe that :ashamed: )

6th i would say is them you have not read much BA reviews ! BA's are very fast thus some find their bass too quick to be punchy ( tf10 :O) ...BAs are always darn quick !!

NOte : it was not directed to me ...but really thats not what i call similarities.

@santosh : MUHUHAhahahahaaa here i come 1000! , i am active in gaming section also thats why double your posts ! WHY are you not interested in re262 :S

@mukul : I find the re262s neutral, transparant and natural !! ...that could be because all the IEMs that i have had before are warm :(

but really if you can call the re262 warm ...you can not call the AKG bright!

I am VERY interested in trying the RE262, just don't want to buy one more IEM. I am very sure that they are a top-tier IEM. And after both you and mukul mentioned that these sound similar to SM3, I am even more interested. In the mean while, I've finished my entire reply :)

Congrats Santosh Sir for the SM3's .

MAN !! u are really lucky to grab the best IEM's @ the Best Prices !!

Achal , is here close to my place in delhi dese days , still he is not planning a meet , to let me audition his FX700 and RE262 .

I have my 595's and Grado;s for him though !

Not to mention - E7 E9 , and Tube amp too !!

^ If you get a chance to setup a meet, do listen to both those IEMs. They both are pretty good in their own right. Chances are you might like both of them. I guess that's why achal does not want to come - you might keep them yourself especially since his Miracles are anyway coming next year ;)

anubhav2345 said:
Congrats Santosh Sir for the SM3's .

MAN !! u are really lucky to grab the best IEM's @ the Best Prices !!

Achal , is here close to my place in delhi dese days , still he is not planning a meet , to let me audition his FX700 and RE262 .

I have my 595's and Grado;s for him though !

Not to mention - E7 E9 , and Tube amp too !!
lol, its not that i dont want to come , rather i cant come because i am too busy with cold and studies ! YOU SHOULD COME HERE !! lol i will try to arrange somthing tomorrow ! :)

and lol at grado+anubhav ( who found the re252's treble biting his ears ! :rofl: ) , i want to try the grados :D

santosh ...yeah i think he will like both ...infact these two will appeal to him the most out of all iems !

^ MAN ! there's mothing wrong with the treble of the SR125;s . Just give them a try and u will be more than happy .

I might sell my HD595's now , and eye on DT880 250ohm soon !!

infact there is something wrong with the treble of the grado if they are pleasing to you ! ( you, who found the treble of re252 earbiting !! ( ...:p ))

i want to try them !

hay why do you want to get the dt now ..! i think you were set on a high-end setup!

^ i found the 252;s treble ear biting , only in the initial days , After burn-in everything settled down :)

And DT's just to replace Senny's 595's

Its not going to affect the purchase of Burson + LCD2 / HD800

sure it wont affect the purchase but the purchase will delay the burson + lcd2/hd800

also why do you want to buy the DT880 now !! you are loving the grado ! , its said that if you can live with grado's signature why bother with others !

i say sell the senn and save money!

@anubhav,

Take strategy's advice. Don't go on buying headphones. Besides, from what I've read, the 600 ohm versions of Beyers are much better. Or you can gift me a few IEMs like RE-262, Fischer Eterna V1 (re-release), Fischer Silver Bullet - that I want to check out, but not buy :p

WTF!!!! WTH!!!

JOKER , dropped the ratting of CK10, DBA02 and CK100 after giving the SM3 10/10 ratting !!

the BAR HAS BEEN RAISED!!!

earlier he said that CK10 were his benchmark ...now CK10 stands at 9.75 while SM3 are at 10!!

LOL , sm3 sure are Universally acclaimed!! ( jealousy!! ...congrats again santosh!! :-[)

Ha, you DUMB (forgive me for saying this ...but yeah DUMB ) guy , !! sold off your RE252 while you were in love with its signature, you even said you just love the sound off them !!

the very day you sold them !! . YOU SHOULD BE BEHIND US ALL IN IEM race!! ...so stay behind and sell your stuff!!

NOTE : lol, what to write ...i meant it all by heart!

Back