Storage Solutions VFM 128GB SSD - budget ₹6000 EDIT: bought Crucial MX100 256GB

It(Cacheing not cache) is a `technique`.
SSD is a `technology` that is leaps and bounds faster that it's predecessor, the HDD.
Technology will go on improving, while a superior technique will always be superior.
Nailed it!

Call it what it is - a cache, highly dependant on the storage subsystem underneath it. A RAMdisk paired with a floppy drive is going to be fairly useless. An SSD OTOH will actually improve the usability of the RAMdisk.[*]

So for me personally, its quite disappointing that a technology that has essentially been around for almost 25 YEARS - ie, RDisks, are still unmatched in terms of what it offers in terms of sheer read/write speeds versus SSD's that are much more "modern". Again, I specifically referred to one and only one parameter here while comparing the two namely read/write speeds.
You've been using RAMdisks for ages, so I'm stunned that you aren't aware of the basic difference between RAM and Flash memory. They were never supposed to overlap. This isn't a blu-ray vs hd-dvd race, they are two absolutely different pieces of hardware. Even in mobile phones where space is at a premium, there is distinct RAM and flash memory. Like Sudarshan Saar says, there are many levels of caches everywhere, and its important to understand the hierarchy. What you find unmatched in RAM speeds, a CPU cache designer finds too slow.

We have already established that RDisks are faster than SSD's when it comes to file load/execute speeds which is precisely what that statement means.
Create a 8-10GB RDisk (going to get 16GB of RAM) and install apps & games via Steam directly to the RDisk with the only criteria being, the entire game install must fit on the RDisk.
> A routine copy of 10GB to the RAMdisk at a mechanical HDD sequential speed of say 50MB/s takes you about 200 seconds.[*]
> Versus launching a game in 5 secs, with the occasional 1 second lag as a new level is loaded.
Not entirely faster when you take the whole picture into view :)

Firstly, sorry in advance for the "back & forth" quotes I have used below.

RDisk and SSD can't be direcly compared.

So just because they are somehow "different" its wrong to compare them even though they have functions that overlap? I'm sorry, I respectfully disagree. If they can both be used for a similar function, (ie. R/W data under direct user control as in this case), then IMO, its good enough of a reason to compare them for that specific purpose which is all I have done.

SSD is a `technology` that is leaps and bounds faster that it's predecessor, the HDD.
Again, haven't disputed this fact at all - anywhere - anytime. :)
Technology will go on improving, while a superior technique will always be superior.
Which is why I don't want to discard/abandon a "superior technique" (ie. RDisk) because of "modern technology" (ie. - SSD). Even more so considering the "superior technique", ancient as it may be, offers better performance (R/W performance) than the "modern technology" (ie. - SSD) offers even if you take into consideration the "data transfer overhead" to "pre-load" a RDisk.

The fact that one is a "technique" and the other a "technology" is completely irrelevant. The only thing I'm concerned about is measurable real world R/W performance.

If someone is not impressed with performance improvement in SSD over HDD, I don't know what will.(I am not pointing at you. It's just that SSD's are that awesome. ;) )
Well OFC you're not pointing at me because I clearly posted on page 3 of this very thread that my Win OS boot times had come down from 55 secs with my old HDD to 16 secs with the SSD - a performance increase of more than 300%! If it wasn't for that, why would I have upgraded from my old HDD to begin with? :p
The only thing I "added" was that as a long time RDisk user, I was not -THAT- impressed with the R/W performance of an SSD because I was already accustomed to much higher R/W speeds via RDisk's.

Also, as Eddy Saar mentioned, application these days are designed to use RAM (and multiple cores). Which means, application that use RAM efficiently would perform the same, use RDisk or not. You are even say that they are internally using RDisk esque technique, which would be true. Cacheing.

That might sound good in theory but it doesn't seem to work like that in practice. How about a test? Since both of you seem to think that Microsoft Windows 7 memory management is good enough to render RDisks redundant, why don't we test it out?

With the above in mind, I performed a test that the two of you can easily replicate on your own PC's should you choose to do so. It will take less than 2 minutes (apart from App download times).

If you guys feel this test is "flawed" in some way, do let me know how and why and if there is some other way you would prefer this to be tested.

I copied a 1.4GB .avi file (XVid encoding) from a DVD to my SSD. I then opened the file via Avidemux.

Time taken for Avidemux to open the file (ie. unpack the bitstream) via the SSD was 47 seconds. I then shut down Avidemux.

After this (and not before - because I wanted to give my PC all the RAM available for the RAM management you both claim Win 7 is so good at) I loaded up AMD's RDisk app, created a 1.5GB RDisk, and then copied the EXACT SAME FILE from my SSD to the RDisk purely to check what the associated "data transfer overhead" was.

Time taken to copy the file from the SSD to the RDisk - 5 seconds. Please note this because its important, being the "data transfer to RDisk overhead time".

I then launched Avidemux once again and loaded the .avi file, this time from the RDisk into Avidemux. Time taken - 13 seconds.

Therefore total time taken 18 seconds (5 secs to copy from SSD to RDisk + 13 to load said file from RDisk into Avidemux).

So Avidemux took 47 seconds (via the SSD) vs 18 seconds (via the RDisk including 5 secs for "copy overhead") to open the exact same file.

Would you say this difference is trivial or significant? Seems fairly significant to me.

Edited the earlier para on 11-9-14 6:15 PM: Reason - When I re-read it, I realized that my choice of wording was less than clear. To clarify - I ran the test three times with reboots and tested the Avidemux initial file opening times from both the RDisk and the SSD. Each time the result (ie. file load time) was the same.

My earlier choice of words were slightly misleading because it seemed to imply that there was no time difference while loading the same file TWICE from the same source in succession. This is not true because if you load the same file twice from either source, it does load up much quicker the 2nd time around being cached. Therefore, Windows (or maybe its Avidemux itself?) is definitely doing some sort of caching on the file when opened successive times from the same source. I thought its this feature you guys were referring to when I misunderstood your earlier statement regarding the "Windows memory management" issue.

In case neither of you have the time to do this and want me to capture this in a video and upload it to youtube without any cuts so you can see if for yourself, please let me know and I will be happy to do so.

Two things I will however conceed -
1) On a more modern SATA 3 system (unlike my ancient SATA 2 PC), SSD performance would be possibly 50% faster. So Avidemux would possibly take half the time, ie. 23.5 seconds to load the same file from the same SSD.
However, we also need to keep in mind that such a "modern system" will also have "faster RAM" - significantly faster than the ancient DDR2-667 I'm using. This faster RAM will result in a correspondingly faster RDisk as well. :p
2) I was pleasantly surprised to find that "scrubbing" through the 1.5GB video file was butter smooth even when the file was loaded via the SSD which was great to see. This was simply impossible on my old mechanical drive that would "jerk" about every few seconds and drop frames like crazy if I tried the same thing there.

Nailed it! Call it what it is - a cache,

You can call it what you want. Call it cache, banana, chewing gum. The "name/terminology" used is irrelevant. What matters to me is the performance of a RDisk versus an SSD for common functions that overlap between them.

highly dependant on the storage subsystem underneath it.

Well of course it is and this is one of the limitations of RDisks.

An SSD OTOH will actually improve the usability of the RAMdisk.[*]

A fact that I'm very aware of which is why I explained how I plan on using a RDisk even more when I buy my NEW PC with extra RAM that I can feed my RDisk.

Also, are my eyes mistaken or are you're ACTUALLY RECOMMENDING RDisks now?! :)

I thought your previous position was that RDisks are pointless because Windows 7's "default" RAM caching is more than sufficient? See Sudharshans post above where he quoted you saying the same thing.

You've been using RAMdisks for ages, so I'm stunned that you aren't aware of the basic difference between RAM and Flash memory.

Please don't be stunned so easily. Save that for some time when we're playing CS and I throw a flash bang your way. ;)
Its very easy to explain actually. I PUBLICLY ADMITTED in an earlier post on page 2 of THIS VERY THREAD regarding my complete ignorance of SSD's -
Thing is, I know next to nothing about SSD's because I have never owned one myself. In fact, I have never even seen one in action for that matter.

Besides, like a lot of people, I honestly don't feel the need to completely understand the intricacies of an underlying technology BEFORE adopting it.

The purpose behind my purchase was to replace my HDD because SSD's are faster than HDD. Why should I care about HOW an SSD and its underlying flash memory works? Or are you implying that its somehow "essential" for users to first read up and research on how flash memory works before they can buy an SSD?

Similarly, I don't know how/why Taiyo Yuden media is superior to Moser Baer and I don't care. Or is it somehow essential for me as an end user to first research on whether its the Dye Taiyo uses (or something else?) that makes Taiyo CD/DVD media superior to Moser before selecting Taiyo as my default for blank CD/DVD media? Nope - I just go with the general consensus.

Another example - do you think that most people (and I include myself in this group) stop for even one second to research the kind of memory technology used on Micro-SD cards or how it works before they buy one for their phones and Tabs?

I didn't even give it a second pthought when I bought a Micro-SD for my phone and couldn't care less. It supported by my phone, reasonably priced and it "works" - thats good enough for me. The fact that my phone "native memory" is of a totally "different type" is irrelevant to me because I can't "upgrade" my Phone's conventional memory anyway.

If I'm looking at some new technology to purchase and "X" is faster than "Y" while being -
a) affordable
b) compatible with my PC/device
then I consider buying it. I don't delve into what makes it faster - I honestly don't care. "Ignorance is bliss" in my case. :)

This isn't a blu-ray vs hd-dvd race, they are two absolutely different pieces of hardware.

No its not, because both those pieces of hardware perform exactly the same function and were direct competitors, like VHS and Betamax.

In comparison RAM performs a different function from an SSD. However RAM is very versatile in that it can be used to perform one of the primary functions of an SSD namely launch programs, etc. under direct user control. The fact that it performs this functions so well is why I recommend RDisks. However your (earlier) position was that RDisks are useless because Windows 7 RAM management makes them redundant. This is something I disagree with and attempted to explain why its not really true. Also, what I said to Sudharshan in my very first quote in this post regarding "similar functions" also holds true here.

A routine copy of 10GB to the RAMdisk at a mechanical HDD sequential speed of say 50MB/s takes you about 200 seconds.[*]
Versus launching a game in 5 secs, with the occasional 1 second lag as a new level is loaded.
Not entirely faster when you take the whole picture into view

What mechanical drive? Where are you getting this mechanical drive from? You remind me of one of those TV reporters that politicians are always complaining seem to "cherry pick" parts of a statement and quote them as if they had been given in some sort of vaccum. ;) SEE what I wrote before the line you quoted namely -

"How I plan to use it when I buy my new PC-"

Its only on my NEW PC that I will have the extra RAM to create a RDisk of that size. Plus, on my NEW PC I will be using what my current storage device is even now on my OLD PC namely the new Crucial SSD I bought recently.

Surely you're not expecting me to put together a new PC and use it with my old mechanical drive while putting away the SSD I recently bought for some reason?

So its not a question of "launching a game in 5 secs, with the occasional 1 second lag" even IF you take into consideration the "data transfer overhead" associated with loading the RDisk first as I have demonstrated above. :)

When I get my new PC, it will get a dedicated 8-12 GB RDrive, albeit volatile, which btw, I'm assuming I will be able to "load" via my SSD in what - 20-30 seconds followed by completely uninterrupted and ultra smooth gameplay thereafter?

I'm fine with that...

Last edited:
You can call it what you want. Call it cache, banana, chewing gum. The "name/terminology" used is irrelevant.
"Ignorance is bliss" in my case.
I don't understand why you have to write such long posts just to prove your ignorance. I believe you.

Even more so considering the "superior technique", ancient as it may be, offers better performance (R/W performance) than the "modern technology" (ie. - SSD)
So why didn't you get an "ancient" 486 PC, set up a RAMdisk on it and then do a comparison? Your RAM/RAMdisk is equally "modern" technology, so please stop acting like you pulled something from a museum.

The only thing I "added" was that as a long time RDisk user, I was not -THAT- impressed with the R/W performance of an SSD because I was already accustomed to much higher R/W speeds via RDisk's.
Forget knowing about SSDs, the way you were talking about himem.sys and ramdrive.sys, I assumed you were a veteran who had some basic idea about RAM to differentiate. Atleast the most basic spec on a RAM stick - RAM speed (667 MHz/PC5300). Surely you were not thinking that your RAM capable of 10.6GB/s of theoretical bandwidth, was going to be slower than all the detailed SSD benchmarks you read which peaked at < 0.5GB/s?

"Versatile" implies it's capable of doing something outside its main purpose. Can it store data/OS/apps like a storage medium - nope. RAM's purpose is to cache data not make strawberry smoothies, and RAMdisk or Notepad, thats what it does.

Since both of you seem to think that Microsoft Windows 7 memory management is good enough to render RDisks redundant
I don't think either of us used the term "Windows 7 memory management". What I did say was that apps already make use of RAM as caches. Database servers for eg. can already do what your RAMdisk does. Why other programs seem to prefer using minimal caches, as I said probably has to do with the reliability of working on a non volatile medium or not appearing like a memory hog or some other design decision.

Time taken for Avidemux to open the file (ie. unpack the bitstream) via the SSD was 47 seconds.
Time taken to copy the file from the SSD to the RDisk - 5 seconds.
Interesting. I have no time to investigate what Avidemux is doing, or if the frame sizes are simply too tiny (below 4kb) thereby dropping read performance.
So for high performance home video editing, RAMdisks are a good option, as long as you are willing to pay Rs. 625/GB for RAM vs Rs. 29/GB for your SSD. Is the 20x pricing equally VFM - that is the question.

But one things for sure - no matter what PC I build, I will be buying an extra 8GB of RAM purely for a RAM disk, SSD or not...
When I get my new PC, it will get a dedicated 8-12 GB RDrive, albeit volatile, which btw, I'm assuming I will be able to "load" via my SSD in what - 20-30 seconds
You seem to change your tune quite a bit!
Why are you suddenly shy to stand behind your RAMdisk without the SSD? Now that we've asked for hard numbers, your mechanical drive is suddenly appearing to be the biggest bottleneck in your system.
I remember when you were praising the 840 Evo a few pages back saying TLC is enough. Now it's suddenly turned to "we must use RDisk to save our SSD's P/E cycles".
Maybe you can make a 3rd post, and we can average out your opinion for you :)

I'm assuming I will be able to "load" via my SSD in what - 20-30 seconds followed by completely uninterrupted and ultra smooth gameplay thereafter?
I had no idea your goal in life was uninterrupted gaming for days to challenge the Koreans. When the records are broken, I'll remember I heard it here on TE first :D

There will be use for RDisk or any such caching technique, until
- All applications start using efficient caching technique
- OR RAM speed and Storage speed equals. Then, we don't even need RAM.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which is why I don't want to discard/abandon a "superior technique" (ie. RDisk) because of "modern technology" (ie. - SSD). Even more so considering the "superior technique", ancient as it may be, offers better performance (R/W performance) than the "modern technology" (ie. - SSD) offers even if you take into consideration the "data transfer overhead" to "pre-load" a RDisk.
[OT]
Just short fact about FORTRAN:
FORTRAN is programming language developed in 1950s(introduced in 1957). You are reading it right, 1957.
We all know about 'Super Computers'. I don't have to tell how much the performance of Super Computers have increased in past 60 years.
FORTAN is still used in Super Computers(albeit with incrementally improved versions).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran
[/OT]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That might sound good in theory but it doesn't seem to work like that in practice. How about a test? Since both of you seem to think that Microsoft Windows 7 memory management is good enough to render RDisks redundant, why don't we test it out?
'Microsoft Windows 7 memory management'- Where did that came from?
It's about application that will use caching.

Take case of Adobe Photoshop:
Max out on RAM
Photoshop uses random access memory (RAM) to process images. If Photoshop has insufficient memory, it uses hard-disk space, also known as a scratch disk, to process information. Accessing information in memory is faster than accessing information on a hard disk. Therefore, Photoshop is fastest when it can process all or most image information in RAM. If possible, allocate enough RAM to Photoshop to accommodate your largest image file.
Refer: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-performance-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html

So, photoshop itself uses RAM to perform efficiently.

Here are other quotes that also matters:
Use a fast, large hard disk for working on large images
Photoshop reads and writes image information to disk when there is not enough RAM to contain all of it. Check the efficiency indicator as described below to determine whether getting a faster hard disk or solid-state disk would improve your performance. If the efficiency number is above about 95%, spending money on a faster scratch disk has little benefit.

Solid-state disks
Installing Photoshop on a solid-state disk (SSD) allows Photoshop to launch fast, probably in less than a second. But that speedier startup is the only time savings you experience. That’s the only time when much data is read from the SSD.

To gain the greatest benefit from an SSD, use it as the scratch disk. Using it as a scratch disk gives you significant performance improvements if you have images that don’t fit entirely in RAM. For example, swapping tiles between RAM and an SSD is much faster than swapping between RAM and a hard disk.

If your SSD doesn’t have much free space (the scratch file grows bigger than can fit on the SSD), add a secondary or tertiary hard disk. (Add it after the SSD.) Make sure that these disks are selected as scratch disks in the Performance pane of Preferences.

Also, SSDs vary widely in performance, much more so than hard disks. Using an earlier, slower drive results in little improvement over a hard disk.

Note: Adding RAM to improve performance is more cost effective than purchasing an SSD. If money is no object, you're maxed out on installed RAM for your computer, you run Photoshop CS5 as a 64-bit application, and you still want to improve performance, consider using a solid-state disk as your scratch disk.

In case of photoshop, using RDisk would be moot, since its already using caching(RDisk esque technique).

Well of course it is and this is one of the limitations of RDisks.
Nope, its limitation of primary storage.

The fact that one is a "technique" and the other a "technology" is completely irrelevant. The only thing I'm concerned about is measurable real world R/W performance.
You can call it what you want. Call it cache, banana, chewing gum. The "name/terminology" used is irrelevant. What matters to me is the performance of a RDisk versus an SSD for common functions that overlap between them.
then I consider buying it. I don't delve into what makes it faster - I honestly don't care. "Ignorance is bliss" in my case. :)
The irony! You want to argue about performance/speed and then don't want to dwell into underlying technology.
This my friend, I am afraid, isn't going to help. :)

Last edited:
I don't understand why you have to write such long posts just to prove your ignorance. I believe you.

Because you seem to keep forgetting this admittedly embarrassing fact every couple of posts. :)

So why didn't you get an "ancient" 486 PC, set up a RAMdisk on it and then do a comparison? Your RAM/RAMdisk is equally "modern" technology, so please stop acting like you pulled something from a museum.

Why would I want to test on something that I don't even have access to nor currently use?

Forget knowing about SSDs, the way you were talking about himem.sys and ramdrive.sys, I assumed you were a veteran who had some basic idea about RAM to differentiate. Atleast the most basic spec on a RAM stick - RAM speed (667 MHz/PC5300). Surely you were not thinking that your RAM capable of 10.6GB/s of theoretical bandwidth, was going to be slower than all the detailed SSD benchmarks you read which peaked at < 0.5GB/s?

Again, please don't "assume" I'm a veteran hardware user just because I have been using PCs for a long time. I've said this before as well. I would classify myself as the sort of person who is competent enough to use tech while being ignorant (and completely uninterested TBH) in having to delve or ponder about its inner workings.

So when I was buying DDR2-667 RAM for my motherboard all I needed to know was that it was the RAM type supported by my motherboard. That's it.

Similarly, I did not bother to cross check SSD theoretical speeds with RAM speeds (why would I even do such a thing) considering all I had in my mind at the time was that I was replacing my mechanical HDD with an SSD which is supposedly a no brainer as far as upgrades go - correct?

I didn't even consider the RDisk aspect at the time. Believe it or not - its true. If you see my post on the 3rd page of this thread which is what started this whole RDisk debate, it was only when I got the SSD in my hands and started testing it that I realized fast though it was, a RDisk was even faster.
"Versatile" implies it's capable of doing something outside its main purpose. Can it store data/OS/apps like a storage medium - nope. RAM's purpose is to cache data not make strawberry smoothies, and RAMdisk or Notepad, thats what it does.

Not sure about the history of RAM, but I don't believe it was created with the intention of allowing people to use it the way it can be used via a RDisk.

In any case, RAM IS a form of computer data STORAGE.

The first line of the Wiki on RAM says -
"Random-access memory (RAM /ræm/) is a form of computer data storage."
Reference -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Access_Memory

The fact that RAM is Volatile storage and therefore differs from other storage mediums is another matter.

I don't think either of us used the term "Windows 7 memory management". What I did say was that apps already make use of RAM as caches. Database servers for eg. can already do what your RAMdisk does. Why other programs seem to prefer using minimal caches, as I said probably has to do with the reliability of working on a non volatile medium or not appearing like a memory hog or some other design decision.

I misunderstood what you meant. Its clear now.

Interesting. I have no time to investigate what Avidemux is doing, or if the frame sizes are simply too tiny (below 4kb) thereby dropping read performance. So for high performance home video editing, RAMdisks are a good option, as long as you are willing to pay Rs. 625/GB for RAM vs Rs. 29/GB for your SSD. Is the 20x pricing equally VFM - that is the question.

Thing is, I have 4GB RAM in my PC. This was considered pretty much the "standard" 8 years ago for any half decent gaming PC regardless of whether you use a RDisk or not. The fact that a RDisk allowed me to edit video files faster and easier was a free bonus. This is besides the fact that on XP, a RDisk also allowed me to access an additional 20% of my "expensive" RAM that was otherwise wasted & unavailable to me. So IMO, its excellent VFM provided one can try it out on ones existing PC for FREE without buying anything new per se. If it helps - great. If it doesn't, all one needs to do is simply uninstall the RDisk app.

You seem to change your tune quite a bit! Why are you suddenly shy to stand behind your RAMdisk without the SSD? Now that we've asked for hard numbers, your mechanical drive is suddenly appearing to be the biggest bottleneck in your system.

Changed my tune HOW? :(

Its not a question of "suddenly being shy to stand behind my RAMdisk without the SSD".

When have I EVER claimed that my 10 year old HDD + RDisk were faster than an SSD? Please point the quote out because I don't recall saying any such thing.

I remember when you were praising the 840 Evo a few pages back saying TLC is enough. Now it's suddenly turned to "we must use RDisk to save our SSD's P/E cycles". Maybe you can make a 3rd post, and we can average out your opinion for you

I have already stated several times in this thread that I am pretty much ignorant about SSD's and other tech in general. Its only after I decided I want to buy one and went through this thread that I started reading up a little about them. Even then, I just touched on bare issues and didn't bother to delve deep into their inner workings.

Plus, the fact that the drive is only covered by a 3 year warranty concerns me a bit. Is it wrong of me to want to try and extend the life of my SSD and protect my investment via a RDisk? That's besides the performance increase aspect of course and the fact that I can do this for free?

Also, I notice from your replies that you seem to be getting a bit "upset" with me & my posts which is unfortunate because that has never been my intention. I have high regard for you both as an old TE user, a mod as well as a former BF3 player.

All I'm doing here is trying to encourage people to try out a RDisk and see if it suits them. It's irrelevant whether you have a mechanical drive or an SSD or what version of Windows you're running. Plus there's the fact that there's no need to BUY anything. We already have the RAM in our PC's and the RDisk app itself is FREE. So why not give it a whirl and see if it can help others out in some way? :)

Last edited:
Guys,guys - relax!
In other news, I got a fantastic deal on a 480GB Sandisk Extreme Pro in the Amazon Sandisk sale - 18.6k shipped to India :D

There will be use for RDisk or any such caching technique, until - All applications start using efficient caching technique.....FORTAN is still used in Super Computers(albeit with incrementally improved versions).

You're right but the problem is we're still a long way off from when even the majority, let alone all Windows applications start using efficient caching technique. Which is why I have been recommending RDisks as a means to force load apps into RAM to get max performance despite an apps reluctance/inability to do so on its own.

'Microsoft Windows 7 memory management'- Where did that came from? It's about application that will use caching.

I misinterpreted what both of you meant with that statement. Clear about it now.

Take case of Adobe Photoshop: In case of photoshop, using RDisk would be moot, since its already using caching(RDisk esque technique).

If an app (PS and many other similar 2D & 3D apps for that matter) can use memory more efficiently then that's a bonus and a RDisk may not be warranted in such cases. That's why I said one should experiment and see if creating an RDisks and running your apps (or data from such apps) gives you a performance benefit. If it doesn't - simply discard it. The experiment will cost you nothing.

Also, one of the texts your quoted regarding PS was very interesting, namely this one here -

"Note: Adding RAM to improve performance is more cost effective than purchasing an SSD. If money is no object, you're maxed out on installed RAM for your computer, you run Photoshop CS5 as a 64-bit application, and you still want to improve performance, consider using a solid-state disk as your scratch disk."

This seems somewhat against the "generally accepted" belief considering RAM is so much more expensive compared to buying a SSD. In fact Crazy_Eddy himself pointed out -

"8GB of RAMdisk space costs you 5k, or about 20 times more expensive than an SSD in price/GB."

& again here -

"RAMdisks are a good option, as long as you are willing to pay Rs. 625/GB for RAM vs Rs. 29/GB for your SSD. Is the 20x pricing equally VFM - that is the question"

though he was referring to purchasing RAM specifically for a RDisk and not for the sake of RAM. Yet Adobe seems to advocate spending MORE money on RAM over an SSD (at least initially).

Granted PS is using the additional RAM directly and not via a RDisk but its interesting to note that there are Apps out there that handle memory exceptionally well and that such apps benefit more from additional RAM rather than the cheaper option of (initially) adding in an SSD.

Nope, its limitation of primary storage.

I don't think you understood the context in which I was saying what I did. To recap -
Crazy_Eddy said -
"Call it what it is - a cache, highly dependant on the storage subsystem underneath it."

Which is correct because a RDisk is different from an SSD by its inherent nature in that it has NO DATA present on it when first initialized/created (being a volatile medium). Its empty. You can initialize a RDisk via an image file but that not what we were discussing at this point.

In comparison, a SSD can and does store data being a NV medium. So when you transfer data to an RDisk, the data transfer speed is "limited" by the speed of the primary storage used to transfer to it. A fact you correctly pointed out yourself.

However I was referring to the "pre-load requirement feature" of RDisks when I said it was one of its "limitations" vs an SSD. Hence my sentence. If you still feel what I said is wrong please do correct me.

The irony! You want to argue about performance/speed and then don't want to dwell into underlying technology.
This my friend, I am afraid, isn't going to help. :)

All I will say is there are two kinds of people. One type LIKES and ENJOYS pondering about the underlying technology behind things. The other type simply chooses to use things without bothering about the underlying technology involved. As long as I can test performance with real world, practical, verifiable examples, I honestly don't about the underlying reasons why "X" is faster than "Y".

Neither camp is wrong mind you. Its just that you're in the former camp whereas I'm in the latter. :)

[DOUBLEPOST=1410428432][/DOUBLEPOST]
Guys,guys - relax!
In other news, I got a fantastic deal on a 480GB Sandisk Extreme Pro in the Amazon Sandisk sale - 18.6k shipped to India :D

Nice going. :)

But 480GB?!

What you guys use these "Mammoth" capacity drives for is just beyond me! I currently have 180GB FREE on my 256GB SSD! :p

Last edited:
Not sure about the history of RAM, but I don't believe it was created with the intention of allowing people to use it the way it can be used via a RDisk.
How do you believe RAM is used? When you execute an app, is it not moving itself to memory and running from there?

In any case, RAM IS a form of computer data STORAGE.
Not the sort of storage concept we have in mind - When you put foodstuff in a pantry/fridge, you're "storing" it. When you put food on a chopping board, you're not storing it. RAM is a temporary workspace like that chopping board.
If you read the linked article on storage, they say storage OR memory, i.e. they're trying to be generic. SSDs can function as memory caches too and are non-volatile to boot, so they appear more versatile than RAM, even if low on performance.

"Note: Adding RAM to improve performance is more cost effective than purchasing an SSD. If money is no object, you're maxed out on installed RAM for your computer, you run Photoshop CS5 as a 64-bit application, and you still want to improve performance, consider using a solid-state disk as your scratch disk."
CS5 is about 5 years old. These comments were made at a time when SSDs were much more expensive per GB. An SSD at the time would've been 25k+, when instead someone could go out and buy a 2GB ddr2 stick for 2k.

Also, I notice from your replies that you seem to be getting a bit "upset" with me & my posts which is unfortunate because that has never been my intention. I have high regard for you both as an old TE user, a mod as well as a former BF3 player.

All I'm doing here is trying to encourage people to try out a RDisk and see if it suits them. It's irrelevant whether you have a mechanical drive or an SSD or what version of Windows you're running.
Sorry about that (I've not played BF3 though :D). But its the second line thats bugging me. If someone has sufficient free RAM then they can definitely opt for this.
However if someone has money and needs to choose between adding extra RAM for a RAMdisk or adding an SSD, IMO he's making the wrong choice if he goes with the RAMdisk without maximizing his (non-volatile) storage medium's performance first.

CS5 is about 5 years old. These comments were made at a time when SSDs were much more expensive per GB. An SSD at the time would've been 25k+, when instead someone could go out and buy a 2GB ddr2 stick for 2k.

Ah I didn't know that , I just re-quoted what Sudarshan posted.
Sorry about that (I've not played BF3 though :D).

Oh LOL. I thought you were this person - eddy4823 | mayank4823 | :p

BTW, I am currently doing the test on XP with the same video file and my old 80GB drive + RDisk. The results are well - extremely "weird". I'm going to test this out a few more times and then post the info in here...

It's this model afaik (http://www.snapdeal.com/product/sandisk-ssd-128gb/96417273) and not the Ultra Plus one which costs significantly more.
This vanilla Sandisk uses some lower-rung controller, a Phison I think. No detailed tests, but I would not expect anything great. Sandisk specs itself say 8k/4.5k IOPS - thats really weak when most modern SSDs are in the tens of thousands of IOPS range. You can do much better. Check out the Sandisk Extreme for 5.4k.

My main priorities are:
- low price (the 4300 price tag is totally calling out to me)
- reliability (will the lower-rung controller significantly affect reliability and life?)
- fast game load times (the main reason I am even looking at ssd's, this cheap model must still be far ahead of traditional hdd's right?)

Things I don't care for:
- Blinding fast synthetic test results that I'll never get to experience during regular pc use.

Also does the Sandisk vanilla model support Trim?
If it doesn't, how much will the lack of Trim affect the drive's life expectancy?

This will be my one and only drive and my usage is basically just surfing the net, watching movies and playing Diablo3 & Dota2.
That's it.

- reliability (will the lower-rung controller significantly affect reliability and life?)
.. is a big question mark, because there are almost no reviews for this drive or the Phison controller.

this cheap model must still be far ahead of traditional hdd's right?
Random I/O performance on this drive is 10x slower than any current decent SSD. The whole feeling of an SSD being faster comes from an SSD's random I/O performance. If this parameter is weak, you will be hard pressed to find it an improvement.

Wheels, get the Ultra Plus. Its not worth it buying something potentially far slower/less reliable for around a 1100 buck difference. Stop being such a cheap skate -you have tonnes of moolah! :p
PS - Keep YDL!!! ;)

Broke beyond repair atm :(. Had to replace psu, gpu, monitor and now hdd as well.

Btw, can anyone clarify this to me for my personal better understanding of SSDs:
- The fast load times on them are owing to the much higher read/write speeds (4-5x higher than hdds).
- And the ability to open multiple videos, images or heavy programs near instantly is due to the much higher IOPS (10-100x higher than hdds).

Is this correct?

Also does every SSD support Trim now?

Just thought I would mention some new info that's come to light regarding Crucial/Micron's "Power-Loss Protection" feature on the M500, M550 and MX100 SSD series. This was discovered recently by Kristian Vättö on Anandtech when he wrote -

"I want to begin by saying that I do not like calling out companies' marketing. I believe marketing should always be taken with a grain of salt and it is the glorified marketing that creates a niche for sites like us. I mean, if companies were truly honest and thorough in their marketing materials, you would not really need us because you could compare products by looking at the results the manufacturers publish. Hence I do not usually spend much time on how this and that feature are just buzzwords because I think it is fine as long as there is nothing clearly misleading.

But there is a limit. If a company manages to "fool" me with their marketing, then I think there is something seriously wrong. The case in point is Micron's/Crucial's client SSDs and their power-loss protection. Back when the M500 was launched a bit over a year ago, Micron introduced an array of capacitors to its client SSD and included power-loss protection as a feature in the marketing material.

I obviously assumed that the power-loss protection would provide the same level of protection as in the enterprise SSDs (i.e. all data that has entered the drive would be protected in case of a sudden power-loss) as Micron did not make any distinction between power-loss protection in client drives and power-loss protection in enterprise drives.

I got the first hint when I reviewed the M500DC. It had much larger and more expensive tantalum capacitors as the photo above shows, whereas the client drives had tiny ceramic capacitors. I figured that there must be some difference, but Micron did not really go into the details when I asked during the M500DC briefing, so I continued to believe that the client drives have power-loss protection as well, but maybe not just as robust as the enterprise drives.

In the MX100 review, I was still under the impression that there was full power-loss protection in the drive, but my impression was wrong. The client-level implementation only guarantees that data-at-rest is protected, meaning that any in-flight data will be lost, including the user data in the DRAM buffer. In other words the M500, M550 and MX100 do not have power-loss protection -- what they have is circuitry that protects against corruption of existing data in the case of a power-loss."

This is followed by a technical explanation that went over my head including several diagrams. You can read the entire article here if you're technically inclined -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8528/micron-m600-128gb-256gb-1tb-ssd-review-nda-placeholder

Finally he concludes on the issue -

"It is time to connect this with Micron's power-loss protection. I hope everyone is still following me as that was a long and technical explanation, but I wanted to be thorough to ensure that what I say next makes sense. If power is lost during upper page program, the bit associated with the lower page of that cell may be lost. Because lower and upper page programs are not necessarily sequential, the data in the lower page might have been written earlier and would be considered data-at-rest. Thus a sudden power-loss might corrupt old data and the function of the capacitors is to ensure that the lower page data is safe. Any ongoing upper page program will not be completed and obviously all data in the DRAM buffer will be lost, but old data will be safe.

I want to apologize for spreading misinformation. I know some readers have opted for the MX100 and other Micron/Crucial drives because we said the drives feature full power-loss protection, but I hope this is not a deal-breaker for anyone. It was not Micron's or our intention to "fool" anyone into believe that the clients drives have full power-loss protection and after talking to Micron we reached an agreement that the marketing material needs to be revised to be more clear on the fact that only data-at-rest protection is guaranteed.

On the positive side, what Micron/Crucial is doing is still something that the others are not. I have not seen any other client SSDs that had capacitors to protect against lower page corruption, although there may be alternative methods to work around that (e.g. ECC). Anyway, I did not want this to come out as too negative because the capacitors still provide vital protection against data corruption -- there was just a gap between our and Micron's comprehension that lead to some misunderstandings, but that gap no longer exists."

Also, this drive apparently shows "extremely long write service times" when tested in an app called "TR Drivebench 2". The MX100-256GB specifically seems to have a particularly poor score in this test. The top 10 drives in this test had scores in single digits, i.e. under 10 (lower is better in this test) whereas the MX100-256 had a score of 46,351 (no, that's not a typo)!
sGap6u9.gif

Would I still recommend the MX100?

Yes, but keep in mind that the "power loss protection" works in a "limited" sense in that only "data at rest" is protected. It offers zero protection for any ongoing "upper page" programming nor for any/all data present in the DRAM buffer which will also be lost.

As for the "extremely long write service times" issue - I'm not entirely clear what this benchmark means so I can't comment on if/how this test result would affect "real world performance" of the MX100-256...[DOUBLEPOST=1412155237][/DOUBLEPOST]
Broke beyond repair atm :(. Had to replace psu, gpu, monitor and now hdd as well.

Oh man that really SUCKS! :(
Sounds like you had some serious power related issues to lose so much stuff at one go. Did you finally pick up an SSD and if so which one?

Last edited:
keep in mind that the "power loss protection" works in a "limited" sense in that only "data at rest" is protected. It offers zero protection for any ongoing "upper page" programming nor for any/all data present in the DRAM buffer which will also be lost.
Does this concern laptop users? I'll be installing the MX100-256 in my laptop. I'll also be installing a caddy to place the HDD inside it.

Back