Video WD TV HD player in india officially

Doc Holliday said:
Hi can anyone confirm if the WD TV HD Media player uses the standard Toslink Optical cables? OR does it use a Mini Optical Cable? This can be used as "audio out" for a non-HDMI AV receiver, right?
Please confirm.

It has optical toslink port for digital audio out though never used by me

mk151 said:
I have been quoted 7900 by Champion inclusive of taxes and shipping.

Damn, that price really kills it for me. I think I will stick to playing videos through my laptop's HDMI port.

jaganm said:
Damn, that price really kills it for me. I think I will stick to playing videos through my laptop's HDMI port.

champion was the one that gave me a rate of 6800 + tax for min. 10 pcs = 7640 approx.

^^ Its OT but if its not dire need/ urgent, wait for nvidia ion platform ( u can also check performance preview from anandtech.com)

And hope it will come at reasonable price in india and that too in near future (launch equivalent to USA launch)

Doc Holliday said:
Hi folks,

What are the alternatives to the WD TV?

The one thing that I am waiting for is the next version of the Asus EEE Box, the B204/B206. These come with an ATI chipset that can play HD video. The B204 even has a battery to take care of power outages. Of course, it will be more expensive than the WD TV, but you can do a lot more with it.

However, there has been no word on this after the initial press release. Really frustrating.

Since the EEE Box is a full fledged computer, I think there are many options, you can use Media Centre or a linux based solution like boxee.net as well.

i would have got a WDTV HD player, if it got a Component connection for analogue transmission in the Standard Def TV!..will only go in for,when My TV would be UP itself for an upgrade!

Techie#1 said:
i would have got a WDTV HD player, if it got a Component connection for analogue transmission in the Standard Def TV!..will only go in for,when My TV would be UP itself for an upgrade!

what hell u r saying :no:

One composite (RCA) port for connecting SD TV is already there. Just connect it, play any HD content and that transform to SD TV signal and play without any problem :)

Harpy.eagle said:
^^ Its OT but if its not dire need/ urgent, wait for nvidia ion platform ( u can also check performance preview from anandtech.com)

And hope it will come at reasonable price in india and that too in near future (launch equivalent to USA launch)

Apart from the price, it doesn't even play 1080 mkvs. Not even comparable to the WD player.

Naga said:
Apart from the price, it doesn't even play 1080 mkvs. Not even comparable to the WD player.

whats the reason behind that,is it the fault of the atom,or the 9400 igp.if its the fault of the atom then i guess u can go for mini itx mobo which is almost the size of ion and can accept core2 duo,quad core etc.and has similar igp.

^^The atom. The IGP is good for Blu Rays etc but does not support mkvs.

Anyways, he could go for a lot of things but what's the point? The WD player is enough for movies, cheaper and easier to maintain than a HTPC. That's why I said that the ion's not comparable to the WD. For that matter, any PC or lap/net book is not comparable to the WD. Totally different platforms with a nice price difference too.

Offtopic, but I hope you guys can help.

The WD HD media player, as we know, does not support DTS (so far). However, if one has a DTS decoder (for example, an AVS receiver with DTS support), then the DTS audio should work, right?

For example, I have a Philips DVD player which does not have DTS support, but I can get the DTS sound because I have the AV Receiver. Can anybody confirm this works the same way on the WD HD media player?

yes it does. just use an optical cable to transmit the signal between the wd player n ur receiver. im planning to do the same when mine arrives in a few days.

*Raj* said:
what hell u r saying :no:

One composite (RCA) port for connecting SD TV is already there. Just connect it, play any HD content and that transform to SD TV signal and play without any problem :)

Mr. Raj...I just forgot to recheck the thread...to answer your question..i suppose u Really Dont Know or understand the difference between the composite & component connections for SDTV..& the difference in quality it makes...or otherwise u wouldn't have made the passing remark...i hope not u r just trolling!!!

Back