Welcome Amazon India!

one of my friend works in amazon , anyone wants to ask anything?

Ask him whether they have any plans of having the gift card balance (which never expires) in India too ? Also will there be possibility to use amazon US GC Balance on Indian amazon website (seems unlikely to me).

Also i read somewhere that because of stupid FDI rules, amazon wont be able to sell anything themselves, only provide a platform.

So we might not see "Sold and shipped by amazon" but rather only "Fulfilled by amazon"

one of my friend works in amazon , anyone wants to ask anything?

Yes.

1. Will we be allowed to maybe buy from Amazon USA and Amazon India delivers it?

2. How long before they start selling devices such as Mobile phones/tablets/video game consoles.

3. Are they gonna focus on providing cash on delivery for India?

Sigh... waiting for the Day when ALL of "Amazon.com" products/categories/departments are available here in India.

(wishful thinking):greedy:

From here. Is customer service different from warranty in case of Amazon? I'm not sure, but I thought that they'll take care of it.

Mate customer service means exactly whats written. "Customer Service" - Queries ,Order status,shipping status,problems etc. NOT warranty.

Yes.

1. Will we be allowed to maybe buy from Amazon USA and Amazon India delivers it?

2. How long before they start selling devices such as Mobile phones/tablets/video game consoles.

3. Are they gonna focus on providing cash on delivery for India?

http://www.amazon.in/gp/help/custom...ooter_shiprates?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200534000#free

Shipping details: No international shipping right now.

USA-IND shipping clearly depends on policies laid out by Indian govt. (at high duty)

Amazon USA's USP is their large assortment of products and Delivery model (same day delivery) which allows them to price it lower. If Amazon India can bring the same values then it'll be revolutionary otherwise they'll take time to find their feet in the India market.

As soon as tablet pricing comes out on the site well know what they are upto.

I have been soooooooo waiting for this :)

But lets not forget that Amazon in India will be just a marketplace and not the full blown online retailer. So its possible that we may not get what we expect.

Quote from Economic Times:

Flipkart's biggest worry won't be the business model, but the deep pockets Amazon comes with. "Flipkart is venture capital funded so how far will they go to compete with Amazon," asks Gogia.

The Indian e-tailer, started by Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal, has so far raised over $180 million. Sachin, the company's CEO, earlier this year said it expected to raise another round of funding before an IPO two-three years from now.

Flipkart, which had estimated revenues of around Rs 2,000 crore in 2012/13, is yet not profitable. Sachin has said in the past that his company can easily be make net profits but Flipkart is focused on growing marketshare .

Similar to Amazon's strategy, which broke even only in 2001. Still, what will be worrying for the Bansals, who launched the Flipkart version of a marketplace in April 2013, is that Amazon has deep pockets: in 2012 alone, it generated $2.25 billion of cash and invested $3.6 billion.

On Wednesday, Amazon said it was focused on the "long-term" in India and is not bothered about early profitability. "We price the offering to reach scale, not at our current cost structure," said Agarwal but did not define long term. "Until we reach that scale we won't make money on those offerings," he added, indicating his employer was focused on market share in India, like Flipkart.

Back