What screwdriver kit are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr9

Disciple
What screwdriver kit are you using? Any recommendations for screwdriver and tool bits.
I have had a flavorful of this one https://amzn.eu/d/3J9EV7r for almost a decade. Was never satisfied because the tools are prone to chipping bending.
I am not going to get the iFixit tools because they are quite expensive. Any middle ground. Thanks

What screwdriver kit are you using? Any recommendations for screwdriver and tool bits.
I have had a flavorful of this one https://amzn.eu/d/3J9EV7r for almost a decade. Was never satisfied because the tools are prone to chipping bending.
I am not going to get the iFixit tools because they are quite expensive. Any middle ground. Thanks
Not good. I have these and if tried to tighten screws or loose tightened screws their bits shrink-off metal flakes.

Personally using. Very good quality bits. Xiaomi is just rebranding and selling this. It's originally made my Wiha, well known company in this market segment.

Personally using. Very good quality bits. Xiaomi is just rebranding and selling this. It's originally made my Wiha, well known company in this market segment.
Can confirm. I've got the same and been using for over a year. Topnotch quality for the price.

Can vouch for this sets quality but my dumbass used a wrong bit on a screw and ended up stripping it :banghead:. At least it wasn't one of the Phillips heads.

Oh, I thought he meant electrical shocks.
Lol maybe he did. Didn't think of that. TBH never used it with AC appliances (it's not meant for those) and DC are low voltage electronics like PCs, laptops, mobiles etc. Also it's best practice to remove power on anything before disassembly.

To mods, can we move this screwdriver kit discussion to a new thread in appropriate section?

I use this set. It's built quality is excellent. Has magnetic heads and comes with all the bits to open laptop, phones, xbox , ps4 etc etc.

AmazonBasics 32-Piece Electronics Repair Screwdriver Set, multicolor, 8 x 4.6 x 1.2 inch https://amzn.eu/d/340pPZA

I too have same doubt. It’s completely metal, so there might be a problem of shocks or static when using, even for DC. Definitely not for AC.
Doesn't a anti-static wrist strap prevent static shocks ?
Any good options for battery operated magnetic smaller screwdrivers ?

Doesn't a anti-static wrist strap prevent static shocks ?
I prefer a screwdriver set that has ESD safety and good silicone coating.
Wearing anti-static straps is not always possible. It will be more cumbersome for smaller/quicker tasks.

Any good options for battery operated magnetic smaller screwdrivers ?
Didn't find any good ones yet. They are available on aliexpress, but I doubt if we can get them now.
For heavier tasks, I got used to using drill machine. But for electronics, yet to find something good, be it manual or electric.

I too have same doubt. It’s completely metal, so there might be a problem of shocks or static when using, even for DC. Definitely not for AC.
If you work on a tile floor and are barefoot aren't you grounded already?
Oh, I thought he meant electrical shocks.
They are worried about transmitting static charge via the screwdriver to some sensitive component
Didn't find any good ones yet. They are available on aliexpress, but I doubt if we can get them now.
For heavier tasks, I got used to using drill machine. But for electronics, yet to find something good, be it manual or electric.
It was called the wowstick

No idea how reliable these sites are

Last edited:
If you work on a tile floor and are barefoot aren't you grounded already?

They are worried about transmitting static charge via the screwdriver to some sensitive component
Even i thought of the same. We Indian mostly roam bare foot inside out houses. So i think that we are already grounded most of the times. I have never used an ESD strap and don't know if it's even applicable for our case too.

But i have never had any static charge discharge related issue. But of course this can become an issue if your entire house is carpet covered and you are also using shoes inside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back