Car & Bike Which car shall we look ?

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
Totally noob in this department... seeking suggestion. ..
Looking to buy car for wife (chauffeur driven). wont be everyday car ( max 100km per month) , but might use it for long drives 1-2 times/year.
Will use this for 2-3 years only, and might upgrade once we became expert in driving ourself.
Comfort and Security is paramount., Ideal budget is 20L.

we have city/civic and creta in mind ( auto transmission. top models )

Not much into cars, but a relative bought creta last year and is extremely happy with same.
Mostly uses in city, with once a month long trip upto 800 KMs apprx.

Looking to buy car for wife (chauffeur driven). wont be everyday car ( max 100km per month) , but might use it for long drives 1-2 times/year.
Will use this for 2-3 years only, and might upgrade once we became expert in driving ourself.

Just for such a less usage civic/city and similar segment is a waste.
Get either of,
wagon r/ i10/alto/datsun fo/altroz/santro/ignis/kwid/tiago

If you are fine for used cars then you can target city/verna etc. but again imo it will be extreme investment for lesser usage.

wagon r/ i10/alto/datsun fo/altroz/santro/ignis/kwid/tiago
Thank for suggestion, i20 was something i had in mind.

Those cars you suggested are comfortable for rider, and not drivers cars. And major issues - i wont trust the safety aspect in that section.
Datson, maruti, MG, KIA or tata - simply out of equation - https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/maruti-suzuki-swift-and-datsun-go-fail-crash-tests-688193

Would prefer a German or Japanese company who cares about their reputation. Skoda rapid seems to be good - but their after-sales does not exists.
So I will rather put some money as cost of mental peace. - nirmala tai is stealing so much money in that side, no harm in putting extra buck for safety of family.

Last edited:

Those cars you suggested are comfortable for rider, and not drivers cars. And major issues - i wont trust the safety aspect in that section.
Datson, maruti, MG, KIA or tata
then you might wanna avoid Hyundai too. City/civic are great cars though civic is no longer available in India. I'd say if you're totally new to cars consider getting an used car from neighbours/friends/relatives and get the hang of driving then you can upgrade to something good.

If only looking for new cars then try upcoming Brezza, Honda jazz or if you don't care about depreciation much considering you'll only be using it for 2-3 years then get the City, it's the best option for your criteria. It's reliable, safe and decent after sales experience.

Datson, maruti, MG, KIA or tata - simply out of equation - https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/maruti-suzuki-swift-and-datsun-go-fail-crash-tests-688193

Would prefer a German or Japanese company who cares about their reputation. Skoda rapid seems to be good - but their after-sales does not exists.
So I will rather put some money as cost of mental peace. - nirmala tai is stealing so much money in that side, no harm in putting extra buck for safety of family.
I suggested on par with usage and costing.
My friends and their wives/kids use these hatchbacks for ferrying office-home and once a month family outing. And i haven't at all mentioned swift/kia if you see.

Also, what you mean by driver cars? Unless you are into daily driving and avid weekend outlander it makes no sense investing anything further.

German cars suck on maintenance, durability incl. parts.

So if any, stick to honda and hyundai then.

Rest it all depends on vitamin M. As I know few chaps having audi and bmw which has unfortunately not even crossed 4-5k odo in last 3 years. Usage is office-home or once a blue moon nearby outing. But those guys have ample of vit M and they mostly travel to countries for any short/big vacations...

Spending 20L on a car for just 2-3 years is not a wise financial decision. Recommend to lower it to atleast 10L.
Though even a Tiago will be able to fulfill your requirements but since your budget is on higher side you can also look at -
i20
S Cross
XUV3OO

You should also consider used cars. These are best for your use case. Buy cheap now, use for 2-3 years and sell them at reasonable depreciation. -
Used Ford Freestyle
Used Ford Ecosport
Used Honda City
Used Honda Jazz CVT
City is very good choice. As suggested above you can also go for a used one.

You mentioned that you are not open to Kia but ready to go for Creta?? I hope you know Creta and Seltos are almost identical cars beneath. Also, Hyundai's service costs are way higher than others mentioned here.

You can also get a very nice used Toyota Camry in this price bracket. It will be very reliable considering it is a Toyota and extremely comfortable considering it is designed to be chauffer driven. I think it also comes with 9 air bags so safety wise it will be very solid as well. With such low usage, doesn't make sense going for germans. Also you will lose the least amount of money, if you buy a second hand Toyota since the main depreciation hit will already be on the first buyer and Toyotas have better resale compared to others.

Skoda and other VW vehicles are great but the after sales support of skoda sucks. Read their horror stories on the internet.
Why don't you opt for an EV since your budget is good?

Last edited:
I would suggest an EV as well, looking at the current fuel prices. Besides if majority of your running is going to be in the city, an EV makes a lot more sense than a lot of the other cars. If you have your own parking, charging shouldn't be much of a hassle. And since you already have another vehicle the long distance trips shouldn't be a problem either. Tata offers decent range, MG and Hyundai aren't half as bad either. However, if you are dead set on getting an ICE car, you can consider the hybrid models of cars as well.

For such minimal usage why even own a car? A car is a depreciating asset from the time you purchase it. For the cost of yearly insurance, you can rent a car for 8 hours. Heck, for the salary of a chauffeur, one can rent a car on an hourly basis from sites such as Savaari.com.

This is coming from someone who bought a 17L Vento automatic in 2019 Dec. I have driven only 8K in the last two years due to WFH.

So ideally you should be looking at Petrol powered cars. Preferably a Toyota or a Honda as they usually ave good resale value. An automatic would also help if you primary want convenience and comfort.

20L on road is a good budget. the Honda City and Hyundai Creta are good options in this regard. I'd probably suggest a slightly used Toyota Corolla instead. Would be comfortable reliable, safe and have excellent resale

Civic is discontinued.

Alcazar & Innova Crysta would be my choices - esp. since you plan to sell them off in a short time period. They will have decent resale value too.

Wow thank you all for such great suggestion. I didn't expected that i will get so many suggestion.
Thank you all.

I think it definitely changed my views, and will be helpful in selecting.

------------------
Alcazar & Innova Crysta
Alcazar is one sexy looking beast :)
Toyota Camry
way way over budget.
then you might wanna avoid Hyundai too. City/civic are great cars though civic is no longer available in India. I'd say if you're totally new to cars consider getting an used car from neighbours/friends/relatives and get the hang of driving then you can upgrade to something good.
dont know why but Honda city is only hunting my mind.. good resale i will get too.
what is issue with Hyundai ? - is there something i should know.

after sales support of skoda sucks
totally ! after sales does not existence.

what you mean by driver cars?
driver will drive, owner sit in back row :)

I would suggest an EV as well
That's i will go in future, EV in apartment is pain is ass.

Back