Graphic Cards Which graphics card to buy..? ~ 10k-15k

specs:i5-2500,4 gb ram,21' monitor with 1680*1050 resolution,VX 550W PSU and now a MSI 7850

Check the temperatures of the card on load, also roll back to last stable driver, maybe check version 12.3 OR older to see if the game runs fine.

If the temperatures come out of spec in the mean-time this means that your card has a manufacturing defect, I lost my MSi HD5770 like this (my earlier days on TE). So RMA the card under those circumstances.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

The temps just before these things happen is 70-74 degree Celsius which is pretty much in normal range I think..?And idle is 38-43 degree Celsius..again pretty normal..?I've tried 12.8 and 12.4 drivers.Anyways will give the 12.3 a shot..As I said sometimes the screen power goes off and on restart I hear beep from mobo..Any chance the PSU has got some probs..?

The temps just before these things happen is 70-74 degree Celsius which is pretty much in normal range I think..?And idle is 38-43 degree Celsius..again pretty normal..?I've tried 12.8 and 12.4 drivers.Anyways will give the 12.3 a shot..As I said sometimes the screen power goes off and on restart I hear beep from mobo..Any chance the PSU has got some probs..?

Nope the *beep* is standard, I doubt the VX550W is feeling the heat it is a tank.

Screen Power goes off, how? Can be a loose contact / connection of the power cable and how old is the monitor?

monitor is about 4 years old dell 22' one.But the screen power goes only sometimes.Sometimes I get vertical lines/blank screen(the sound continues for a few mins before it stops) and I have to restart.No beep when this happens.Also I had BSOD problem for about 5 months..It went away about a month ago after I updated my mobo drivers.Anything to do with that..?Thanks.

Should I check if cards seated properly/re connect it...?There areno problems under normal load..

- - - Updated - - -

Power goes off saying auto-detec power saving mode or something like that.I have changed power settings in windows for maximum performance and disabled sleep..so I doubt its any of that..

which PSU are you using ?? Never buy amd cards man !! phew I arrived here late i guess !
If i am too late plug this card to your frenz pc & check with the same drivers. amd drivers ROCK !

which PSU are you using ??

specs:i5-2500,4 gb ram,21' monitor with 1680*1050 resolution,VX 550W PSU and now a MSI 7850

Answers your query methinks, read the earlier posts before pitching in, please.

Never buy amd cards man !! phew I arrived here late i guess !

Why that be, I am running the game fine on an ATi HD5770, only issue is occasional texture popping but that is a long standing issue of the HD57** series.

Game plays fine on my 20" screen, high eye-candy - minus Ubersampling, V Sync, SSAO and AA.

Do not pour vitriol on the drivers, please have a proper explanation if you are blaming them. I am running on Catalyst v12.6 will update to v12.8 and report.

DSC_0007.jpg

This pic shows the connection into the video port.The first one is the one I already had and thats the one I am using,the one that is below is the one I got with this card.I cant figure out How to use it as I dont have anything to connect to its back side as I will show in the next pic.(DSC_0007) (Attatched)

Also these are the connectors to smps I got with the card: (DSC_0008)(Attatched)

These are the connectors from smps that I've used to connect to those:
DSC_0011.jpg

This is the final connected pic :
DSC_0014.jpg

I also had this connector from the smps left over labeled pci-e which I couldnt find any place to connect to:

DSC_0015.jpg

So anything wrong I'm doing with these stuff...?Also the screws were a bit loose I tightened them and am gonna try it now,hope it works.Also doubt I would have any friends with smps good enough to handle this.:unsure:.Anyother software I can use to check for problems with the GPU..?

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 77
you should probably use the PCIE connector(which you say is left over) from PSU directly into the card, not the molex to PCIE cable(which may be under performing).
Also the cable you show here is a DVI-D to VGA cable. If you dont have a VGA port on the monitor you wont be able use it. THe one you are using is the DVI_D to DVI-D cable which is fine.

Well I am using the 2 cables that came with the card.The pci-e one was there on the smps.The 2 cables I've connected are the ones that came with the card.You sure the pci-e one is the one to use?If so wont be able to use the ones that came with the card..
Anyways the problem seems to have been solved.I think it had to do not properly screwing the card.Actually earlier I hadn't put the screws at all :ashamed: .Now after putting it havnt had a problem for 1.5 hours playing arena.Thanks everyone for their help and suggesting this card.The game does look pretty darn beautiful on it :) .Now just need to find time to play it.

Well the problem is solved but I would recommend using the PCI-E cable from the PSU.
The Molex to PCI-E connector which came with the card were meant for the ppl who dont have a PCI-E power connector in PSU which Corsair so gladly provides us with. Keep the other cable handy in case the one from PSU malfunctions.

ALso there are cards which require two of those connectors ( As my 4870 :( ) and this cable will come handy when/if you decide to upgrade ur CARD.

On further testing (both with and without the pci-e power connector),On enabling uber sampling I am getting the same auto-detect power saving mode or a blank screen after abt 15 mins in.Without uber sampling things seem stable,have tried till about 1 hours.So any idea what the problem is..?The fps seem good either case..Any way if I can isolate if the graphics card is defective..?

Are you from Nvidia or what:p,If you don't know what's causing the problem then don't blame the company for no reason,There are many guys here running AMD gpu's in their system smoothly.As it seems OP has got the problem solved so the GPU is alright.
which PSU are you using ?? Never buy amd cards man !! phew I arrived here late i guess !
If i am too late plug this card to your frenz pc & check with the same drivers. amd drivers ROCK !

Any one here whos got 7850 can tell me If I should be getting problems like black screen/screen going to power saving while playing with ubersampling..?I understand the fps should be lower...but can such failures indicate fault on the card..?Any one can recommend any software I can use to check for errors on the card..?Thanks.

HAve you tried using the Power cable from the PSU??

If yes and the problem continues You should RMA I Guess. You can also check out the system by borrowing a GPU from a friend and making sure that ur system is OK.

Yeah using the power cable.Well its also happening in the game proper even without the uber sampling.I guess i need to send the card to RMA :( ...maybe after checking it with some other games..

- - - Updated - - -

I bought the card from PRIME abgb.http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?view=items&cid=3%3AShippingandReturns&id=14%3Areturns-policy-&option=com_quickfaq&Itemid=66 Got it delivered a week back. This is the first time I've ordered anything this big online.So how do I go about this..?Will I be able to return the product completely..?Or can I only get it RMAed by contacting them and then sending it back to them..?
Thanks.

Yeah using the power cable.Well its also happening in the game proper even without the uber sampling.I guess i need to send the card to RMA :( ...maybe after checking it with some other games..

I bought the card from PRIME abgb.Shipping and Returns - FAQs Got it delivered a week back. This is the first time I've ordered anything this big online.So how do I go about this..?Will I be able to return the product completely..?Or can I only get it RMAed by contacting them and then sending it back to them..?
Thanks.

You need not send the card all the way back to Prime ABGB, find out who does MSi after sales in your area. You are in Delhi, so DIGILINK (these guys are in Bangalore) OR ACCEL should be the guys responsible for warranty cover, just go to their closest service centre, submit your product, take the transcript and within 1 week your product should either be refurbished and awaiting returns OR issue will be escalated and the time limit will be reset to 2 weeks from submission to return with a brand new card.

Here is MSi's India page, call up the toll free number and get the appropriate details -- MSI India - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more.

This was one of my first threads on TE --> http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/my-card-getting-fried-plz-91218/p2/.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Unfortunately I am not in delhi...I live in Trivandrum and doubt there are any MSI service centers here..Anywas will check their site out I guess..Also in the package I got there was this bill from ABGB which had something wirtten regarding RMA.Other than that no other warrany card or anything like that. Also would entirely returning the product for refund and getting a new one be an option/possibility..?

Thanks.

1.first try using the monitor through the video output of your laptop to see if the monitor is allrght
2.if monitor is alright then borrow a friends gfx card and install in the syste,if card runs okay then other component of your system okay,gfx card is the problem
3.send gfx card for replacement.......

hope it helps

Back