PC Peripherals Which one is a better choice - Corsair TX650w or Seasonic 750W SS-750JS ?

Casual Gamer

Disciple
Guys, My friend is going to buy a SMPS. His budget is 6000 rupees(Strictly, Can't be Extended). Within his Buget I found these two SMPS. Which one is better in terms of +12v Rail Amps, Efficiency & Cooling? Give me suggestion.

Re: Which one is better chioce? Corsair TX650w or Seasonic 750W SS-750JS

You cannot go wrong with either of them. Both of them perform exceedingly well in terms of the performance (efficiency, ripple, cooling etc) and the after-sales support.

If I were you I'd go with the Seasonic power supply. I've used a HX620 before and worked flawlessly until I chose to go with a PSU with a slightly higher rating.

So, I can take anyone of these.. BTW which one has higher +12v rail amp?

Casual Gamer said:
So, I can take anyone of these.. BTW which one has higher +12v rail amp?
TX650 offers combined wattage of 624W on 12V @ 52A , whereas Seasonic 750W offers combined output of 720W on 12V @ 60A. So, Seasonic wins here

Both are 80 Plus certified PSU. :)

Go with Seasonic. Its better than Corsair's TX series, and here it has higher wattage too.

What about this Corsair GS800 SMPS? it offers 65amps on single +12v rail and has better wattage than above mentioned ones also. The price is very impressive. I don't understand that why TX series is more expensive than GS series which is almost same to each other in terms of features. TX650w and GS800 is neck to neck in terms of price. Experienced members please answer it.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---
Anyone experienced please answer this..

Casual Gamer said:
What about this Corsair GS800 SMPS? it offers 65amps on single +12v rail and has better wattage than above mentioned ones also. The price is very impressive. I don't understand that why TX series is more expensive than GS series which is almost same to each other in terms of features. TX650w and GS800 is neck to neck in terms of price. Experienced members please answer it.

The GS800 is rated @ 40C and has 3 years warranty.

The TX650 is rated @ 50C and has 5 years warranty.

Casual Gamer said:

Basic problem of GS series is build quality and performance, lets say they are Corsair's salvo in response to Cooler Master 'crap' eXtreme Pro series. Here is a point of view -- Corsair GS600 Reviewed (ITOCP) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Re: Which one is better choice? Corsair TX650w or Seasonic 750W SS-750JS

Well there is a lot of things to consider while buying a PSU. But the most important being the kind of system you are going to run with these. If you are planning to run a Sli or a crossfire system (judging by the wattage range you are looking for i hope you are, cos if not then 650w is a huge overkill and plain waste of money), now supposing that you are then i would suggest going for a multiple rail PSU, in your price range the PSU i would suggest is the Antec TruePower New 650w.

It would probably cost you around 6200/-, just 200 above your budget, Also remember that while considering a PSU, stuff like PSU efficiency and one being gold, silver or bronze certified is all bunch of Bull sh!t, it doesnt mean anything and all it accomplishes is reducing your monthly electricity bill by a few bucks, and that's it !!!!!!! there is nothing more to it, so don't get blinded by the Gold, Silver, and bronze bullsh!t

While looking for a PSU you have to look at test results conducted under real working conditions for VOLTAGE REGULATION, RIPLLE EFFECT, COOLING and last but not the least theBUILD QUALITY of that particular unit, according to the reviews Antec is a winner there with Seasonic X series topping the charts especially the Seasonic X 650w, which unfortunately is nowhere to be found in INDIA.

Between the units you mentioned and the one I suggested, Antec beats both of your units in almost all of the 4 criteria's, while remaining well within the required margins as well as in using top quality parts for their PSU's ( FYI: Capcitors made in JAPAN are among the top of the line capcitors anywhere in the world, i believe Corsair AX unit's have them). Also do understand that Seasonic makes the PSU for a lot of companies including corsair, so under the hood both these PSU's have the basic hardware made by Seasonic only, Corsair just puts it's label on them.

Now you must be wondering that why did i use bold letters to highlight build qaulity?, well that is the answer to the question you asked.
To reduce costs these companies use different quality capacitors and other electronic equipments and then divide their PSU's into different series such as HX, VX, TX, etc in case of Corsair. So beware of this fact while looking for a PSU, and that is the reason why there is such a price difference between their different series as well as their warranties ( Lower the build quality, Lower the warranty period offered, It's plain Common sense ).

Every company including Antec, Corsair and all the big names in PSU manufacturers use the same cheap way to extort money, so what you have to look while buying a PSU is also the warranty being provided. Antec is providing a 5 year warranty on the TP650w and if you were to ask my opinion, this unit beats both your above unit hands down in all departmenets, plus it secures you for your crossfire or SLI configurations in the future with it's 12v multi rails rated at 25A, 25A, 22A, 22A, which i am sure you would want to overclock and that's where multi rail will win over any single rail PSU.

Also i hope you do realize that even a 500w PSU is enough to run a highly clocked SB rig with a single GPU and multiple HDD's, Also just for your future reference, in a PC, the GPU, HDD and the Processor are the most power hungry components, the rest consume very little power, so if you are not going to go SLi or Crossfire in the near future, i wouldn't advise you to buy a 650w unit, cos that's just money wasted which could have easily gone towards other important aspects of your PC configuration. Just keep this in mind while deciding on a PSU, rest is upto you.

Hope this helps !!

preet27 said:
Well there is a lot of things to consider while buying a PSU. But the most important being the kind of system you are going to run with these. If you are planning to run a Sli or a crossfire system (judging by the wattage range you are looking for i hope you are, cos if not then 650w is a huge overkill and plain waste of money), now supposing that you are then i would suggest going for a multiple rail PSU, in your price range the PSU i would suggest is the Antec TruePower New 650w.

It would probably cost you around 6200/-, just 200 above your budget, Also remember that while considering a PSU, stuff like PSU efficiency and one being gold, silver or bronze certified is all bunch of Bull sh!t, it doesnt mean anything and all it accomplishes is reducing your monthly electricity bill by a few bucks, and that's it !!!!!!! there is nothing more to it, so don't get blinded by the Gold, Silver, and bronze bullsh!t

While looking for a PSU you have to look at test results conducted under real working conditions for VOLTAGE REGULATION, RIPLLE EFFECT, COOLING and last but not the least theBUILD QUALITY of that particular unit, according to the reviews Antec is a winner there with Seasonic X series topping the charts especially the Seasonic X 650w, which unfortunately is nowhere to be found in INDIA.

Between the units you mentioned and the one I suggested, Antec beats both of your units in almost all of the 4 criteria's, while remaining well within the required margins as well as in using top quality parts for their PSU's ( FYI: Capcitors made in JAPAN are among the top of the line capcitors anywhere in the world, i believe Corsair AX unit's have them). Also do understand that Seasonic makes the PSU for a lot of companies including corsair, so under the hood both these PSU's have the basic hardware made by Seasonic only, Corsair just puts it's label on them.

Now you must be wondering that why did i use bold letters to highlight build qaulity?, well that is the answer to the question you asked.

To reduce costs these companies use different quality capacitors and other electronic equipments and then divide their PSU's into different series such as HX, VX, TX, etc in case of Corsair. So beware of this fact while looking for a PSU, and that is the reason why there is such a price difference between their different series as well as their warranties ( Lower the build quality, Lower the warranty period offered, It's plain Common sense ).

Every company including Antec, Corsair and all the big names in PSU manufacturers use the same cheap way to extort money, so what you have to look while buying a PSU is also the warranty being provided. Antec is providing a 5 year warranty on the TP650w and if you were to ask my opinion, this unit beats both your above unit hands down in all departmenets, plus it secures you for your crossfire or SLI configurations in the future with it's 12v multi rails rated at 25A, 25A, 22A, 22A, which i am sure you would want to overclock and that's where multi rail will win over any single rail PSU.

Also i hope you do realize that even a 500w PSU is enough to run a highly clocked SB rig with a single GPU and multiple HDD's, Also just for your future reference, in a PC, the GPU, HDD and the Processor are the most power hungry components, the rest consume very little power, so if you are not going to go SLi or Crossfire in the near future, i wouldn't advise you to buy a 650w unit, cos that's just money wasted which could have easily gone towards other important aspects of your PC configuration. Just keep this in mind while deciding on a PSU, rest is upto you.

Hope this helps !!
Thanks for your brief Explanation. My Configuration is going to be like this:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K( I am an extreme overclocker & will run the processor @4.5ghz 24/7 from the very first run)

Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 or Gigabyte P67A-UD3R or Asus P8P67

RAM: Corsair XMS3 2X2GB=4GB kit DDR3 1600Mhz(Model-CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus with an extra Blademaster Fan for push-pull setup

HDD: 3(Three) Western Digital Cavier Black 1TB HDDs

GPU: MSI GTX 570/GTX 580(depends on the available money). I will Overclock the GPU also by Voltage modding. But I will never go for multi-gpu setup. So, SLI/Xfire is out of our disscusson.

Audio Card: Creative X-fi titanium pci-e

Casing: NZXT tempest Evo with 6(six) Fans

All I need is rock solid stability of the RIG after Overclocking. I will run the rig OCed for 24/7 and minimum 3yrs. After all these facts which PSU will be best for me? I need something reliable and from a reputed brand. I don't need anything which will be huge overkill. My budget is 6000 rupees.

Thanks. Waiting for your urgent reply.

Well first off thanks for the detailed configuration and writing down what you are expecting from your PSU, cos that is, as i said the most imporant aspect before deciding on a PSU.

SO as far as your configurations are concerned i would recommend a PSU within 500 - 550w power range, since you are not planning for a SLI/Xfire in the near future. 550w should be more than enough for your power requirements, even if you are palnning for a 24/7 highly O/C'd system ( I might warm you here i don't think a CM hyper 212+ will let you reach that kind of OC without frying your CPU or Mobo especially with Indian Ambient Temp's, so be very thoughtful about what you are stepping into )

Okay, so coming back to the point, since you intend to run the system continuously with OC'd 24X7, build qulatiy becomes a major factor, so i would say Corsair unit's in that range are out of the question, according to me and what i have seen of the units in this power range i would have suggested Seasonic X-Series 560w, but since it's almost impossible to get hold of the seasonic x series in INDIA, i would recommend the Antec True Power New 550w.

The merits for this PSU are endless, Semi Modular, Japanese capacitors, excellent voltage regulation and ripple, 5 years warranty, the list can go On and On, Antec TP550 beats any other PSU in it's Power range at the price point it is being offered, it will surely save you money from your 6k budget and will cost you around 5k, leaving you funds for a better GPU. Rest as i earlier said is upto you.
Here is something for you to feed your brain cells upon !! i am posting thelink to the conclusion but you can read the whole comparison if you feel like it. http://www.anandtech.com/show/3985/three-550w-psus-for-different-prices/14

here is another detailed review http://realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page16354.htm, i am sure you can google some more to make up your mind, since now you have the basic knowledge as to what to see while buying a PSU.

preet27 said:

Hope this helps !!
that was nice and informative

but alas i cannot find the antec power supply you mentioned anywhere

any idea where can i find it

You can ask Hdigital lifestyle, TP650 should go for 6200/-, you can ask about 550w from them as well, they are the distributors for Antec PSU's and are based in ahmedabad, Gujarat. I wouldn't recommend devraj (another Antec distributor) as their price is too high plus dealing them i think would be a PITA, i am also thinking of buying the 650w PSu for myself, we could get some discount if we group buy.

Cheers !!

You can ask Hdigital lifestyle, TP650 should go for 6200/-, you can ask about 550w from them as well, they are the distributors for Antec PSU's and are based in ahmedabad, Gujarat. I wouldn't recommend devraj (another Antec distributor) as their price is too high plus dealing them i think would be a PITA, i am also thinking of buying the 650w PSu for myself, we could get some discount if we group buy.

Cheers !!

okay these are the distributors

i am looking up for the antec power supply but the only store that seems to have it is the it depot at a 6500 bucks

any idea where can i get it in mumbai

You can directly buy from the distributors, thereby cutting the freaking dealers out, they are anyways a real PITA to deal with, the distributors will directly ship the product to you with shipping included,

if you are apprehensive about it, you can ask PrimeABGB in lamington road and they will be able to source the PSU for you.

P.S. :- They are also going to buy it from them only and demand a higher price, just a little bit of effort on your part can go a long way into the learning curve of as to what you should pay for a particular product. Rest is your choice.

Cheers !!

preet27 said:
You can directly buy from the distributors, thereby cutting the freaking dealers out, they are anyways a real PITA to deal with, the distributors will directly ship the product to you with shipping included,

if you are apprehensive about it, you can ask PrimeABGB in lamington road and they will be able to source the PSU for you.

P.S. :- They are also going to buy it from them only and demand a higher price, just a little bit of effort on your part can go a long way into the learning curve of as to what you should pay for a particular product. Rest is your choice.

Cheers !!
i have no idea on how to go about with the distributors so perhaps i will stick to the usual retailer route

thanks for the information

let me see what deal i get

just got off from a call with prime

they dont have it as of now but are willing to order it

it will cost me 7200 bucks and this is definitely not sensible

any alternatives guys

Well i told you they will add their margin, it's the same thing dealing with distibutors, the dealers also get the same thing from distributors itself and charge us for the laziness, you can email Hdigital and they will take care of the rest. I just ordered mine for 6500 including shipping and taxes from hdigital and it should arrive in 3 days.

7.2k for an antec 650W PSU? c'mon guys. Even the Seasonic SS-850AT Silver PSu is only 6.6k, and anyday better than the TP650 or even the TP750. Antec might be good, but that doesnt say Seasonic is bad. Seasonic PSUs seems to be even better in most cases. Check for yourselves. Check the complete loat tests, efficiency at each load levels, and the ripples, and then decide. Dont jusy go blindly for the TP 650 for whatever prices.

here goes the review of the big brother of the Tp650, ie the Tp750 : Antec TruePower New 750 W (TP-750) Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

and for the Seasonic S12II 750: Seasonic S12D 750 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

The one which is sold for 6.6k here are the SS-850AT, which is even better than the S12II and has even better efficiency.

@Op

grab either the Seasonic SS-750JS or the SS-850AT. You wont go wrong with either of these. Both has excellent vfm, and has 5 years warranty too.

Back