PC Peripherals Which one is a better choice - Corsair TX650w or Seasonic 750W SS-750JS ?

Re: Which one is better choice? Corsair TX650w or Seasonic 750W SS-750JS

Okay that's strange, maybe Luck has got something to do with it.

Well i believe that patience is a virtue, and i truly believe you should give some more reading on these units rather than jump now and regret later. Rest is ofcourse your choice.

Cheers !!

The reason i am not saying anything about the Seasonic SS units is that i have seen atleast 2 units fail DOA in this forum itself, you can check the ITwares Seasonic PSU thread to confirm, and i do believe you get what you pay for, a 750w unit for 5400 rings bells in my mind. There are differences in what a company predicts as profits for it's products but there isn't this much of a difference, and that should immediatley alert you that something is amiss here. Try searching other forums and if people have reported same problems with the Seasonic SS Units, would give you a rough idea of what it's quality is like and then you can evaluate if it truly is VFM. Cos there is a big difference in being a VFM option and One seeminf like one.

I might add here that you must consider that a good design with bad caps would serve you well rather than a bad design of PSu with good caps, so the design of PSu, soldering used is also a factor and this is the reason why some units while look good on paper, are piece of trash when it comes to practical use. So I would recommend checking out some more forums like OCn etc. to check with the owners as to what kind of performance they are getting from that particular unit.

Also check out Antec High Current Gamer 620w, i haven't evaluated it personally but this one is available with hdigitallifestyle, also check out the Corsair HX650w units' if they are available ?

Another option is Seasonic S12II / M12II 620w | [H]ard|OCP

yes i agree with you

i have read those posts too

and the price is the biggest factor that makes me raise my eyebrows

i tried asking the retailer on why is this unit is priced so low while its competitors are quite expensive and in response all i got was 'fierce competition'

a friend of mine who saw this power supply expressed his doubt when he saw its price and the single fan design

a power supply is a very important component in a computer and so i want to purchase one that is tried, tested and popular

and this one has not been through any of the above

and for antec and corsair ones i can find several reviews all over the net

the way shopkeepers are promoting this unit is very similar to the way they promote cooler master extreme series

any way lets see what i end up with

higher wattage PSU is never an overkill unless its too high and costs a fortune. As i already mentioned, a PSU has highest efficiency and cleaner power when the load is between 40 to 60%. it doesnt mean it cant take higher load, but it can take even 110~115% load. But running a PSU at its highest efficiency can save on your electricity on longer run, gives better life for PSU and internal PC components as well. Also it leaves room for upgrades. And all in all, its just 5.4k for the 750w :), and its one of the best too with 5 years warranty too. What more can you ask for (just forget the rear mounted 80mm fan :p, its oober silent though)

A word of caution on the Antec units. Their earlier distributor (Cyberspace Abacus, Chennai) had a tough time getting good support from them, and has officially dropped Antec.

The two new disti's for ANTEC :-

HDigital Lifestyle

Phone: +91 79 40052737 / +919824499751

E-mail: info@hdigitallifestyle.com

Home Page:www.hdigitallifestyle.com

Devraj Computers (P) Limited.

Phone: +91 44 28548627 / +919381025354

E-mail: info@devrajcomputers.com

Home Page:www.devrajcomputers.com

I don't know how good the new distributors are, but I've been cautioned that Devraj Computers is not good.

@preet, maybe you can let us know how HDigital Lifestyle is :)

The current Antec units are quite good, but its difficult to recommend them when their after-sales support in India is unknown.

A side-note about 80+ certification levels like Bronze, Silver, Gold. Yes, a high-efficiency unit isn't really going to save you money. It just points to a well-designed unit. You will not find a good quality unit doing badly in the efficiency tests.

Well their earlier distributors were PrimeABGB, and i might add here that i have already had an altercation with Prime about the kind of professionalism shown by them when i ordered the NZXT phantom cabinet, I believe that every company wants to sell their products and wouldn't risk loosing their customer base.

In My experience of the past 10 years i have always found the dealer to be the spoilsport in every transaction i have had any kind of problems, and that is why i was suggesting buying from the distributors itself. I had a big fight with Amarbir of Lynx on this same issue. he just thinks that he is the only wise one and everybody else is a fool. he accused me of not supporting him because he hails from the same city. WTF, he never gives me a discount when i hail form his city, but when i cut him from the entire deal he is up and arms about it.

Anyway that's not the point here, Antec has been around for over 25 years, they started in 1986 and are a well estb. company.

Once again the dealers are the real culprit here and not the distributors, in case of Antec's earlier distributors i.e PrimeABGB they were dealers cum distributors and that is where the problem was, they were and are very unprofessional. SO dissing such a good unit on an apprehension that the after sales won't be good is foolishness. You must look at the history of the company before making an assumption like that. How you deal with a company and the people you bought it from vastly depends from person to person. Be it a lesson here, the main problem in every RMA process going bust is the dealer he is the bottleneck and it is wise and prudent to cut them so that people learn that they need to get professional here in INDIA as well. What goes in INDIA is Kaam Chalaoo work, and you have a role to play in it as well including any other well educated person. Don't let these F***ng dealers take you for a Ride. I have even had an altercation with ITWares on this forum itself, and i won't be afraid to give them a piece of my mind for their unprofessional attitudes again if the time comes, we as a country take this kind of unprofessional attitude for granted and we don't realise that ultimately we are the one's who have to pay for it in the long run.

Well about efficiency, i have already explained so many times, don't even consider it a factor here, how much will you save on electricity with a diference of 2 - 3% efficieny as was claimed by the satement of runnign at ideal 40 - 60% or making the unit work for what it has been rated for. After reading the following explaination you decide is it worth spending 2 - 3 k for an overkill unit. I THINK YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ANSWER THAT AFTER READING THE FOLLOWING EXPLAINATION AND WHY A 750w UNIT IS NOT AT ALL RECOMMENDED. I REPEAT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WASTE YOUR MONEY DON'T GO FOR ANY 750w UNIT, IT IS A HUGE OVERKILL AND NOT WORTH THE EXTRA DOUGH YOU WILL PAY OR IT.

Here let me explain in a simpler way for people reading to be able to comprehend why i am constantly saying that this EFFICIENCY STUFF IS ALL BULLSHIT.

Considering that 1 KWH unit = Rs. 2.90
based on efficiency difference of 2 - 3 % you will save around 19.50 watt per hour (3% of 650w)
so that means even if you plan on running the system 24 X 7 = 19.50 X 24 X 30 = aprrom 14 KWh

which in turn means that you saved Rs 40 per month and Rs. 480 Yearly ( assumed that it worked for every hour of the 365 days of that year on full load) when it was supposed that the difference was 3% ( 3% beacuse Antec TP650 has been tested to work with 85 -86% effeciency on ideal load at 50 degrees working temperature( make special note of the temperature at what this unit was tested for, check the various reviews for validity of this above statement). Other assumption being that the unit was running at full load, that is why 82%, with lowest efficiency i.e 82% in terms of TP650 and considering that price of 1KWH unit is Rs 2.90

In real world scenario this wouldn't even be half of what the result has come out here ( i think you can contemplate why it won't be even half, no one runs a PC 24 X 7 X 365, unless it's a server) , so apply your mind here around plz before going for the bullshit propogated by these companies and invest in a stronger built unit which has been tried and tested under real working conditions can serve you well for the years to come, and not some power effeciency bullshit ( Do make a note that most results by different reviewers are on simulated temperature conditions whereas Antec Tp650 has been tested to work at 85- 86% efficiency in real working conditions of 50degress With almost NO ripple and very very very excellent voltage regulation)

Now you tell me is this worth it compromising on the Build quality.

On a side note i found Hdigital Lifestyle very professional, i confirmed my address at around 8 pm in the evening and they made it sure that they shipped the item the same day, even when i had submitted the shipping details so late. Also they gave me a written confirmation that in case of any RMA it will taken care by them, the pick up and delivery will be done by them via Blue Dart courier. I got the Unit in flat 2 days. I believe this is why Antec changed it's distributors from PrimeABGB to other, DEVRAJ is not good as well, i got a quote of 6900 from them and that too excluding taxes, PrimeABGB are the amongst the most unprofessional dealers i have encountered over my life, ( the list is very long in my case ). PrimeABGB practices DOUBLE standards and mint money out of gullible customers. ( e.g. quoting of 7200 for a 6500 unit in this thread itself, what more example would you want)

ONCE AGAIN IT's THE DEALERS THAT ARE THE SPOIL SPORT AND THAT'S BECAUSE WE TAKE THEIR UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOUR AS A NORM AND ULTIMATELY HAVE TO PAY THE PRICE FOR IT. IT's TIME TO WAKE UP.

You need to read my post carefully before arguing over what isn't there :p

I have nothing against Antec, which is why I said their current range is quite good. I even encouraged bottle to pick up an Antec Signature. But, he did not pick it up from India, so after-sales was never a point for him. But it is an important consideration for others, and that is what I was pointing out - A.S.S. in India.

You yourself cite PrimeABGBs unprofessional attitude as a reason for not buying from them, not because the product was bad. (P.s.: PrimeABGB wasn't their distributor AFAIK, just a dealer). Antec support wasn't good earlier either - its gone from bad to unknown. So I'm hesitant to recommend it without having seen some instances of A.S.S. support. If you have some experience, or some clue on their warranty policies, please feel free to share them :)

About efficiency, here's what I said again :

Yes, a high-efficiency unit isn't really going to save you money. It just points to a well-designed unit. You will not find a good quality unit doing badly in the efficiency tests.

How can you justify the price difference of the TP650 @ 6750/- vs SS750 @ 5400/- when both are equally good. And that too with no idea about A.S.S for the former and boasting 5 yrs warranty. So in this case its absolutely not A WASTE GOING FOR HIGHER WATTAGE ONE, WHICH COSTS LESS, HAS BETTER A.S.S AND IS ONE OF THE MOST TRUSTED AND RELIABLE BRAND. As pointed out by Crazy_Eddy, bad A.S.S or unknown A.S.S is almost as good as no warranty. Also warranty on PSU is one of the most urgent one, as without it you cant power on the system, unlike HDD, or GPU.

With Seasonic X series being the most highly priced PSU's and SS avaialble at such a low price for a 750w i see something fishy here, there cannot be such a huge profit margins for the units of the same company, and with so many reported DOA on various other forums including this one itself (2 in the ITWares Seasonic thread itself about the SS units), i don't think i need to dwell more on this.

Once again you have to read my post again, Dealers are the bottleneck in terms of ASS, and that is what i was trying to explain throughout, no company want to loose it's customer base especially when there is so much fierce competition nowadays, they go out limb and beyond to maintain that customer base, all those people who report that they have had this and that problems while RMA'ing, you have to take into account what kind of procedure that they initiated, was a dealer involved, were the distributors taken into account for not delivering, did you go out and tried contacting the company representatives itself, or just shot an email and waited for them to reply back, how much of an effort did you try to put before one just dissed the company for bad ASS, did they use everything in their power to get the RMA done. A lot depends on the person and this fact is widely ignored everywhere, since everyone wants to jump to conclusions without understanding what was involved and what went down and the procedure that was followed, this I might add here is in line with the efficiency crap of companies i was referring to, people just see that it's GOLD certified and go out and buy a ridiculously costly unit without checking whether the product they are buying is worth the money, do they even need such a unit, is it even required to buy a 750w unit for a single GPU rig, what kind of reduction in electricity bills is one looking buying a higher efficieny rated unit ( 480 bucks an year, ARE YOU KIDDING ME), What kind of real world performance has the Unit delivered. ONCE AGAIN THAT's WHY I STATED IT DEPENDS FROM PERSON TO PERSON

I believe the reason OP started this thread and the units he quoted showed how misinformed he was about PSU's. he doesn't even need a 650w unit, forget about 750, i already recommended buying a lower wattage unit and use that extra dough for something else or else invest in a better build quality PSU. That is the only point i am stressing out here.

When i asked for a written confirmation about the RMA procedure from PrimeABGB they just ignored me and this later resulted in a huge altercation with them ( another example why RMA is termed bad at a later stage ), in case of Antec i got a reply within an hour from Antec as well as Hdigital Lifestyle that they will take care of the RMA and the shipping will be borne to and fro by them through Blue Dart and RMA completed within 15 days, so i don't know what is the basis for this accusation of bad ASS.

As i say again it depends on person to person and how he handles the procedure, you have to be intelligent about it from the starting, and cutting the dealer off is a good place to start off, since they are the biggest bottlenecks in an RMA procedure. It costs them to send the unit back to distributors who send it back to Antec, this is where dealers try to stall it or try to send you away to avoid the extra burden and blame the company for it. So i would say one should be weary of this fact before jumping to bad ASS conclusions. I also believe that is why PrimeABGB [who were the official distributors for Antec were relieved of this burden (you can check hardware contact list in this forum itself, if one has any doubt's about it)].

About efficiency i tried to explain because a lot of discussion in the last few pages has been efficiency related so i laid down the bare facts.

Anyways no offence intended to anyone, just trying to help the OP, just like all of you good knowledgable people.

Also i am also not emphasising the OP to buy the Antec unit as well. i myself was going for the Corsair HX650w unit at first, you can check the ITWares Corsair thread if you have any doubts, and i have no links to the Antec company itself. Just trying to help OP make a knowledgable and well thought out decision based on solid facts instead of regretting later on.

Cheers !!

I cautioned about the Antec, but I didn't say go with the Seasonic SS-750JS either :lol:

@dominator: Be careful about mixing up model numbers. SS-750JS, S12D, S12II are all different series.

I don't think the SS-750JS is better than the S12D, S12II.

Its not 80+ Silver certified either : http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/Seasonic_SS-750JS_750W_80PLUS_Report.pdf

Frankly there's barely any info on the SS-750JS, and to me it appears like a budget no-frills type PSU like Antec's Earthpower series. There might be a possibility that its still very good, but without in-depth reviews its hard to say.

TX750 and TX650 were CWT and Seasonic respectively, so careful about comparing them directly. If I'm not mistaken, the TX650 did have an edge over its bigger brother too (don't remember).

@preet : I just cautioned about Antec's A.S.S. after earlier times. However good to hear that HDigital Lifestyle looks like a good distributor, so lets hope for a couple more positive responses. I hope their personal assurance about their warranty terms is applicable to all customers. Can you perhaps quote their official statement for our benefit?

Also while companies do not want to lose their customer base, companies like Antec are dependant on their local distributors who in turn are dependant on their dealers to succeed. RMA is almost always done by the distributor. Most dealers will direct you to the distributor/service centre.

Prime ABGB wasn't a distributor for Antec AFAIK, this appears to be a mistake in the hardware contacts list. Here's who the actual distri was : Antec-India

@Casual Gamer : I guess the Corsair TX650 is your safest bet, with the Antec an option if you're willing to take a gamble with the new distributors.

Well here is the statement i recieved from Antec distributors confiming the RMA procedure. Above is their reply and below is my enquiry regarding the RMA procedure. I even double checked the same and ran it through Antec before i went ahead with the deal. Antec promised a 15 days RMA period no frills attached. If you want i can post that too.

DEAR SIR,

WARRANTY IS THRU AND FROW PAID BY US,

WHEN EVER YOU HAVE RMA YOU JUST HAVE TO MAIL US AND BLUE DART WILL COLLECT PSU FROM YOUR END AND WE WILL PROVIDE YOU RMA FROM AHMEDABAD. THRU AND FROW COST WILL BE BARE BY US.

Regards,
Vitrag Bhandari. | Director,
Hdigital Lifestyle Pvt. Ltd.
FF/12 Vallabh Tower, | Opp. Swagat party Plot,
Bhuyang Dev Cross Road, | Memnagar Road,
Ahmedabad. | Gujarat - India.
(M) +91 9824499751 | (Office) 079 40052737
E mail: siddharthxe@yahoo.com | info@hdigitallifestyle.com |
Please don't print this email unless you really need to!
On 23-Apr-2011, at 1:48 PM, gurpr guru wrote:

Sir,
If you remember i had enquired about the Antec Truepower New 650w PSU, before i deposit the amount i would like to enquire about the procedure that will be adopted if by chance the PSU fails within the warranty period itself ?
Regards,
Gurpreet Singh

------- x -------

Coming back to topic, Well dealers are always happy to put the blame on someone else, in most cases being the distributor or the company itself, In one case involving me in this forum itself the moderator and the rules set out were to be blamed, and that is why i am saying that dealers are the bottleneck in most cases, not dissing everyone cos there are good and bad people in every field, some dealers can get a unit RMA'd faster than you could get it done via distributors, But still a huge huge majority of them are of the attitude that this is not our problem, no professionalism at all, no accountability, and ampful amount of excuses to cover it up. Hell !!! Amarbir while pushing me to buy the Corsair TX650w unit instead of TX650w version2 or HX650w (both of which were not in stock with him), told me that all these companies including Corsair, Antec( he clubbed Antec in this category when i cut him from the deal and went straight to the distributors) are low quality chinese units made in China and they just stamp it in India with Antec or whatever label, i mean how low can you go to get your motive straightened out, just shows how these people misguide a consumer to get their end of the fortune. (And it's a sorry state that this forum supports these dealers and does nothing to set the tone for some professional behaviour in here).

My thumb rule is if the dealer is misinforming you, stressing on a particular unit, ignoring you, not replying, quoting higher prices than others then it's better to look elsewere. Also if the behaviour Pre Sales is disappointing then don't even bother buying stuff from such delaers cos post sales is going to be a nightmare. Better yet cut the dealers where it is possible and go staright to the distributors, if they are also not good, try some other company, there is a plethora of options nowadays and one must support this competition cos in the end it is only going to benefit the end user, also this way dealers will also know that they need to be professional about the way they do business, (sorted Mr. Bhatia of PrimeABGB this way only when i bought the NZXT Phantom Cabinet from him)

Well some of the official dealers listed here in TE have been involved in an altercation with me within the short stay that i have been here and it's only gonna end in a war of words over here, so i am ending it here only. Although truth hurts and i intend to say it even if it rattles some nerves. PROFESSIONALISM is the order of the day and we as INDIANS collectively need to set the tone for that, no one individual can do it, all have to do their part in it.

On a last note in this thread, My recommendations still remain with first being buying a good 500 - 550w range PSU(even a 450w would suffice, but 500w is a safer bet), second being with the Antec TP650w. 750w is out of the question. I still wouldn't recommend the older Corsair TX650w unit, Version 2 is another story altogether, and i don't want to post as to WHY NOT the corsair TX650w, have already got into an argument with Amarbir from Lynx on the above topic and don't want to start it over here again, I believe it will only lead to more why and why not's, the prerogative now lies with the OP whether he decides to delve into the WHY and WHY NOT'S. I think ampful amount of information has been given in these few pages for the OP to decide for himself and land himself a good PSU provided he decides to use it, if he is still in doubt then this is my last reference quoted in this thread, you can check the following very recent thread to determine the kind of unit Antec TP650 is --> Antec Truepower TP-650W Good? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net and this is a good starting point for WHY NOT of Corsair TX650w compared to Antec TP650whttp://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/1001929-100-psu-2x-5850s-2.html

Here's hoping that you decide well and it serves you well in the years to come and gives you your money's worth, cos in the end that's what matter the most, also thanks everyone for the healthy conversation. No Offence to Anyone, was just stating what i have gathered as experience over the past years.

Cheers !!

preet27 said:
Antec promised a 15 days RMA period no frills attached. If you want i can post that too.

Yes, please do. Thanks for posting the warranty info :)

Amarbir while pushing me to buy the Corsair TX650w unit instead of TX650w version2 or HX650w (both of which were not in stock with him), told me that all these companies including Corsair, Antec( he clubbed Antec in this category when i cut him from the deal and went straight to the distributors) are low quality chinese units made in China and they just stamp it in India with Antec or whatever label, i mean how low can you go to get your motive straightened out, just shows how these people misguide a consumer to get their end of the fortune. (And it's a sorry state that this forum supports these dealers and does nothing to set the tone for some professional behaviour in here).

Can you please point me to where Amarbir has posted this on the forum?

My recommendations still remain with first being buying a good 500 - 550w range PSU(even a 450w would suffice, but 500w is a safer bet), second being with the Antec TP650w. I still wouldn't recommend the older Corsair TX650w unit, Version 2 is another story altogether, and i don't want to post as to WHY NOT the corsair TX650w, and this is a good starting point for WHY NOT of Corsair TX650w compared to Antec TP650w$100 PSU for 2x 5850's? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

I read the thread, it says the Antec is a better design, but it does not say why NOT the Corsair TX650W. Your post seems to imply the TX650 is a bad unit - it isn't.

hey guys

this ended up into a big discussion that i had imagined

anyway i was reading this thread since the past few days and and i did not reply as i had not made my choice and needed to get some information out on the two power supplies in question

i am sure that gurpreet here was offering his sincere help and his opinions were purely based on his knowledge along with personal experiences rather than random judgments

dOm1naTOr

your post on how efficiency can make a big difference in a power supply gave us a completely different side of the story mate

it shows how a higher wattage power supply might actually be classified as a investment rather than just a computer component

Crazy_Eddy

dude

the distributors this or that have always some issues here and there

so far form what i have seen the distributors or dealers in india are really shitty and might actually pass off as cons

compared to the after sales service companies offer in united states canada or even singapore which too is a bloody cheat is pretty shitty

it is all a matter of a persons luck rather than the distributor

the best example is that of me and gurpreet

gurpreet got tp650 from the same distributor i spoke to

and it would cost me 6750 without shipping or anything and gurpreet on the other hand got it at his place delivered in 2 days time with a written letter about warranty and stuff

and about the discussion

higher wattage PSU is never an overkill unless its too high and costs a fortune. As i already mentioned, a PSU has highest efficiency and cleaner power when the load is between 40 to 60%. it doesnt mean it cant take higher load, but it can take even 110~115% load. But running a PSU at its highest efficiency can save on your electricity on longer run, gives better life for PSU and internal PC components as well. Also it leaves room for upgrades. And all in all, its just 5.4k for the 750w , and its one of the best too with 5 years warranty too. What more can you ask for (just forget the rear mounted 80mm fan , its oober silent though)

that fan or its noise is none of my concern

it just makes me think that other power supply units have the usual 2 fans and this one being more powerful and advanced manages with just one

is it really that advanced or is there something i am not seeing

A word of caution on the Antec units. Their earlier distributor (Cyberspace Abacus, Chennai) had a tough time getting good support from them, and has officially dropped Antec.

The two new disti's for ANTEC :-

HDigital Lifestyle

Phone: +91 79 40052737 / +919824499751

E-mail: info@hdigitallifestyle.com

Home Page:hdigitallifestyle.com - registered through www.domainz.in

Devraj Computers (P) Limited.

Phone: +91 44 28548627 / +919381025354

E-mail: info@devrajcomputers.com

Home Page:Welcome to Devraj Computers Pvt Ltd

I don't know how good the new distributors are, but I've been cautioned that Devraj Computers is not good.

@preet, maybe you can let us know how HDigital Lifestyle is

The current Antec units are quite good, but its difficult to recommend them when their after-sales support in India is unknown.

A side-note about 80+ certification levels like Bronze, Silver, Gold. Yes, a high-efficiency unit isn't really going to save you money. It just points to a well-designed unit. You will not find a good quality unit doing badly in the efficiency tests.

i agree with you on that man

the moment i was suggested an antec supply i tried hard to just remember about their after sales team and it turns out they literally do not exist

Well their earlier distributors were PrimeABGB, and i might add here that i have already had an altercation with Prime about the kind of professionalism shown by them when i ordered the NZXT phantom cabinet, I believe that every company wants to sell their products and wouldn't risk loosing their customer base.

In My experience of the past 10 years i have always found the dealer to be the spoilsport in every transaction i have had any kind of problems, and that is why i was suggesting buying from the distributors itself. I had a big fight with Amarbir of Lynx on this same issue. he just thinks that he is the only wise one and everybody else is a fool. he accused me of not supporting him because he hails from the same city. WTF, he never gives me a discount when i hail form his city, but when i cut him from the entire deal he is up and arms about it.

Anyway that's not the point here, Antec has been around for over 25 years, they started in 1986 and are a well estb. company.

Once again the dealers are the real culprit here and not the distributors, in case of Antec's earlier distributors i.e PrimeABGB they were dealers cum distributors and that is where the problem was, they were and are very unprofessional. SO dissing such a good unit on an apprehension that the after sales won't be good is foolishness. You must look at the history of the company before making an assumption like that. How you deal with a company and the people you bought it from vastly depends from person to person. Be it a lesson here, the main problem in every RMA process going bust is the dealer he is the bottleneck and it is wise and prudent to cut them so that people learn that they need to get professional here in INDIA as well. What goes in INDIA is Kaam Chalaoo work, and you have a role to play in it as well including any other well educated person. Don't let these F***ng dealers take you for a Ride. I have even had an altercation with ITWares on this forum itself, and i won't be afraid to give them a piece of my mind for their unprofessional attitudes again if the time comes, we as a country take this kind of unprofessional attitude for granted and we don't realise that ultimately we are the one's who have to pay for it in the long run.

Well about efficiency, i have already explained so many times, don't even consider it a factor here, how much will you save on electricity with a diference of 2 - 3% efficieny as was claimed by the satement of runnign at ideal 40 - 60% or making the unit work for what it has been rated for. After reading the following explaination you decide is it worth spending 2 - 3 k for an overkill unit. I THINK YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ANSWER THAT AFTER READING THE FOLLOWING EXPLAINATION AND WHY A 750w UNIT IS NOT AT ALL RECOMMENDED. I REPEAT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WASTE YOUR MONEY DON'T GO FOR ANY 750w UNIT, IT IS A HUGE OVERKILL AND NOT WORTH THE EXTRA DOUGH YOU WILL PAY OR IT.

Here let me explain in a simpler way for people reading to be able to comprehend why i am constantly saying that this EFFICIENCY STUFF IS ALL BULLSHIT.

Considering that 1 KWH unit = Rs. 2.90

based on efficiency difference of 2 - 3 % you will save around 19.50 watt per hour (3% of 650w)

so that means even if you plan on running the system 24 X 7 = 19.50 X 24 X 30 = aprrom 14 KWh

which in turn means that you saved Rs 40 per month and Rs. 480 Yearly ( assumed that it worked for every hour of the 365 days of that year on full load) when it was supposed that the difference was 3% ( 3% beacuse Antec TP650 has been tested to work with 85 -86% effeciency on ideal load at 50 degrees working temperature( make special note of the temperature at what this unit was tested for, check the various reviews for validity of this above statement). Other assumption being that the unit was running at full load, that is why 82%, with lowest efficiency i.e 82% in terms of TP650 and considering that price of 1KWH unit is Rs 2.90

In real world scenario this wouldn't even be half of what the result has come out here ( i think you can contemplate why it won't be even half, no one runs a PC 24 X 7 X 365, unless it's a server) , so apply your mind here around plz before going for the bullshit propogated by these companies and invest in a stronger built unit which has been tried and tested under real working conditions can serve you well for the years to come, and not some power effeciency bullshit ( Do make a note that most results by different reviewers are on simulated temperature conditions whereas Antec Tp650 has been tested to work at 85- 86% efficiency in real working conditions of 50degress With almost NO ripple and very very very excellent voltage regulation)

Now you tell me is this worth it compromising on the Build quality.

On a side note i found Hdigital Lifestyle very professional, i confirmed my address at around 8 pm in the evening and they made it sure that they shipped the item the same day, even when i had submitted the shipping details so late. Also they gave me a written confirmation that in case of any RMA it will taken care by them, the pick up and delivery will be done by them via Blue Dart courier. I got the Unit in flat 2 days. I believe this is why Antec changed it's distributors from PrimeABGB to other, DEVRAJ is not good as well, i got a quote of 6900 from them and that too excluding taxes, PrimeABGB are the amongst the most unprofessional dealers i have encountered over my life, ( the list is very long in my case ). PrimeABGB practices DOUBLE standards and mint money out of gullible customers. ( e.g. quoting of 7200 for a 6500 unit in this thread itself, what more example would you want)

ONCE AGAIN IT's THE DEALERS THAT ARE THE SPOIL SPORT AND THAT'S BECAUSE WE TAKE THEIR UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOUR AS A NORM AND ULTIMATELY HAVE TO PAY THE PRICE FOR IT. IT's TIME TO WAKE UP.

i doubt if prime was ever a distributor of antec but i agree about their crappy service

they have a nice shop but behind that mask they are cons as any street vendor

and that is some nice calculation you came up with

How can you justify the price difference of the TP650 @ 6750/- vs SS750 @ 5400/- when both are equally good. And that too with no idea about A.S.S for the former and boasting 5 yrs warranty. So in this case its absolutely not A WASTE GOING FOR HIGHER WATTAGE ONE, WHICH COSTS LESS, HAS BETTER A.S.S AND IS ONE OF THE MOST TRUSTED AND RELIABLE BRAND. As pointed out by Crazy_Eddy, bad A.S.S or unknown A.S.S is almost as good as no warranty. Also warranty on PSU is one of the most urgent one, as without it you cant power on the system, unlike HDD, or GPU.

i cannot agree with you that both are equally good

if the seasonic power supply is really so good then why arent major review sites failing to look at it

everything about it is soo attractive that it can make anyone fall for it

it is a power supply from one of the best companies in the market

not the best power supply in the market

With Seasonic X series being the most highly priced PSU's and SS avaialble at such a low price for a 750w i see something fishy here, there cannot be such a huge profit margins for the units of the same company, and with so many reported DOA on various other forums including this one itself (2 in the ITWares Seasonic thread itself about the SS units), i don't think i need to dwell more on this.

Once again you have to read my post again, Dealers are the bottleneck in terms of ASS, and that is what i was trying to explain throughout, no company want to loose it's customer base especially when there is so much fierce competition nowadays, they go out limb and beyond to maintain that customer base, all those people who report that they have had this and that problems while RMA'ing, you have to take into account what kind of procedure that they initiated, was a dealer involved, were the distributors taken into account for not delivering, did you go out and tried contacting the company representatives itself, or just shot an email and waited for them to reply back, how much of an effort did you try to put before one just dissed the company for bad ASS, did they use everything in their power to get the RMA done. A lot depends on the person and this fact is widely ignored everywhere, since everyone wants to jump to conclusions without understanding what was involved and what went down and the procedure that was followed, this I might add here is in line with the efficiency crap of companies i was referring to, people just see that it's GOLD certified and go out and buy a ridiculously costly unit without checking whether the product they are buying is worth the money, do they even need such a unit, is it even required to buy a 750w unit for a single GPU rig, what kind of reduction in electricity bills is one looking buying a higher efficieny rated unit ( 480 bucks an year, ARE YOU KIDDING ME), What kind of real world performance has the Unit delivered. ONCE AGAIN THAT's WHY I STATED IT DEPENDS FROM PERSON TO PERSON

I believe the reason OP started this thread and the units he quoted showed how misinformed he was about PSU's. he doesn't even need a 650w unit, forget about 750, i already recommended buying a lower wattage unit and use that extra dough for something else or else invest in a better build quality PSU. That is the only point i am stressing out here.

When i asked for a written confirmation about the RMA procedure from PrimeABGB they just ignored me and this later resulted in a huge altercation with them ( another example why RMA is termed bad at a later stage ), in case of Antec i got a reply within an hour from Antec as well as Hdigital Lifestyle that they will take care of the RMA and the shipping will be borne to and fro by them through Blue Dart and RMA completed within 15 days, so i don't know what is the basis for this accusation of bad ASS.

As i say again it depends on person to person and how he handles the procedure, you have to be intelligent about it from the starting, and cutting the dealer off is a good place to start off, since they are the biggest bottlenecks in an RMA procedure. It costs them to send the unit back to distributors who send it back to Antec, this is where dealers try to stall it or try to send you away to avoid the extra burden and blame the company for it. So i would say one should be weary of this fact before jumping to bad ASS conclusions. I also believe that is why PrimeABGB [who were the official distributors for Antec were relieved of this burden (you can check hardware contact list in this forum itself, if one has any doubt's about it)].

About efficiency i tried to explain because a lot of discussion in the last few pages has been efficiency related so i laid down the bare facts.

Anyways no offence intended to anyone, just trying to help the OP, just like all of you good knowledgable people.

Also i am also not emphasising the OP to buy the Antec unit as well. i myself was going for the Corsair HX650w unit at first, you can check the ITWares Corsair thread if you have any doubts, and i have no links to the Antec company itself. Just trying to help OP make a knowledgable and well thought out decision based on solid facts instead of regretting later on.

Cheers !!

the dead on arrival cases might be just 2 off or 2 of the several

we cant be sure

but again how many dead on arrival cases have you heard of tx or s12d or S12II series

Well here is the statement i recieved from Antec distributors confiming the RMA procedure. Above is their reply and below is my enquiry regarding the RMA procedure. I even double checked the same and ran it through Antec before i went ahead with the deal. Antec promised a 15 days RMA period no frills attached. If you want i can post that too.

DEAR SIR,

WARRANTY IS THRU AND FROW PAID BY US,

WHEN EVER YOU HAVE RMA YOU JUST HAVE TO MAIL US AND BLUE DART WILL COLLECT PSU FROM YOUR END AND WE WILL PROVIDE YOU RMA FROM AHMEDABAD. THRU AND FROW COST WILL BE BARE BY US.

Regards,

Vitrag Bhandari. | Director,

Hdigital Lifestyle Pvt. Ltd.

FF/12 Vallabh Tower, | Opp. Swagat party Plot,

Bhuyang Dev Cross Road, | Memnagar Road,

Ahmedabad. | Gujarat - India.

(M) +91 9824499751 | (Office) 079 40052737

E mail: siddharthxe@yahoo.com | info@hdigitallifestyle.com |

Please don't print this email unless you really need to!

On 23-Apr-2011, at 1:48 PM, gurpr guru wrote:

Sir,

If you remember i had enquired about the Antec Truepower New 650w PSU, before i deposit the amount i would like to enquire about the procedure that will be adopted if by chance the PSU fails within the warranty period itself ?

Regards,

Gurpreet Singh

------- x -------

Coming back to topic, Well dealers are always happy to put the blame on someone else, in most cases being the distributor or the company itself, In one case involving me in this forum itself the moderator and the rules set out were to be blamed, and that is why i am saying that dealers are the bottleneck in most cases, not dissing everyone cos there are good and bad people in every field, some dealers can get a unit RMA'd faster than you could get it done via distributors, But still a huge huge majority of them are of the attitude that this is not our problem, no professionalism at all, no accountability, and ampful amount of excuses to cover it up. Hell !!! Amarbir while pushing me to buy the Corsair TX650w unit instead of TX650w version2 or HX650w (both of which were not in stock with him), told me that all these companies including Corsair, Antec( he clubbed Antec in this category when i cut him from the deal and went straight to the distributors) are low quality chinese units made in China and they just stamp it in India with Antec or whatever label, i mean how low can you go to get your motive straightened out, just shows how these people misguide a consumer to get their end of the fortune. (And it's a sorry state that this forum supports these dealers and does nothing to set the tone for some professional behaviour in here).

My thumb rule is if the dealer is misinforming you, stressing on a particular unit, ignoring you, not replying, quoting higher prices than others then it's better to look elsewere. Also if the behaviour Pre Sales is disappointing then don't even bother buying stuff from such delaers cos post sales is going to be a nightmare. Better yet cut the dealers where it is possible and go staright to the distributors, if they are also not good, try some other company, there is a plethora of options nowadays and one must support this competition cos in the end it is only going to benefit the end user, also this way dealers will also know that they need to be professional about the way they do business, (sorted Mr. Bhatia of PrimeABGB this way only when i bought the NZXT Phantom Cabinet from him)

Well some of the official dealers listed here in TE have been involved in an altercation with me within the short stay that i have been here and it's only gonna end in a war of words over here, so i am ending it here only. Although truth hurts and i intend to say it even if it rattles some nerves. PROFESSIONALISM is the order of the day and we as INDIANS collectively need to set the tone for that, no one individual can do it, all have to do their part in it.

On a last note in this thread, My recommendations still remain with first being buying a good 500 - 550w range PSU(even a 450w would suffice, but 500w is a safer bet), second being with the Antec TP650w. 750w is out of the question. I still wouldn't recommend the older Corsair TX650w unit, Version 2 is another story altogether, and i don't want to post as to WHY NOT the corsair TX650w, have already got into an argument with Amarbir from Lynx on the above topic and don't want to start it over here again, I believe it will only lead to more why and why not's, the prerogative now lies with the OP whether he decides to delve into the WHY and WHY NOT'S. I think ampful amount of information has been given in these few pages for the OP to decide for himself and land himself a good PSU provided he decides to use it, if he is still in doubt then this is my last reference quoted in this thread, you can check the following very recent thread to determine the kind of unit Antec TP650 is --> Antec Truepower TP-650W Good? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net and this is a good starting point for WHY NOT of Corsair TX650w compared to Antec TP650whttp://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...x-5850s-2.html

Here's hoping that you decide well and it serves you well in the years to come and gives you your money's worth, cos in the end that's what matter the most, also thanks everyone for the healthy conversation. No Offence to Anyone, was just stating what i have gathered as experience over the past years.

Cheers !!

i dont know what have you told these hdigital guys but they really seem to have taken fond of you

I read the thread, it says the Antec is a better design, but it does not say why NOT the Corsair TX650W. Your post seems to imply the TX650 is a bad unit - it isn't.

i agree with you on that mate

over the years the tx series have proved their stability and power to deliver

many of my friends use tx power supply units and each and everyone of them have nothing but good stories

lastly

i did some research with some dealers regarding the units in question and here is what i got

antec has a negative image in the market and since in the past there have been several after sales issues people have lost faith in them and are raring to go for them as a primary choice

the seasonic series is being promoted as the next big thing a miser can get

just like cooler master is promoted as nice and economical and highly trustworthy power supply brand

if you notice most dealers will heavily stress how cheap the unit is and that seasonic makes units for corsair

this is a common tactic to fool unsuspecting customers

the tx series

i searched for the tx v2 series but in vain

seems no one has it or even expects it

the present tx is cheap and sells well so everyone is happy the way things are

on a personal note i feel the tx650 is a great power supply to go for if money is your concern

the tp650 is a great power supply but with antec having such low awareness in the market

probably people will never look at it

and i am not the op

i am just a guy who is in the same boat as op

hope this information helps

cheers to everyone for posting so much information here

First to Begin i would request all those reading to keep in mind the OP requirements before any conclusion is drawn upon
Here is the link to OP's Post stating his requirements, which were always the main point of consideration for my recommendations and i always kept them in my mind before i recommended any unit to him, http://www.techenclave.com/pc-perip...rsair-tx650w-seasonic-189154.html#post1789623

Now to begin with @Crazy_Eddy,

Well Sir,

I would request you to read my post again, i wrote and i quote "this is a good starting point for WHY NOT of Corsair TX650w compared to Antec TP650w"

The stress here sir is on the part COMPARED TO, I believe TX650 is an OKAY unit, but it was revised as it had an older design and some units were reported to fail when they were Load tested on Prime. OP stated that he was interested in a beast of an OC (SB at 4.5Ghz @ 24 X 7) and keeping that in mind only i suggested him TP650 COMPARED TO TX650. I have nowhere pointed the TX650 unit as a bad unit but as COMPARED TO Antec TP650 and keeping Op's requirements in mind the TX doesn't even stand a chance of comparison, and that Sir, was implied in the link to the thread I posted, I also might add that i also acknowledged that TX650 Version2 is a different story altogether.

Regarding Amarbir, it was a Personal Convo on the same issue, so i can't really point to where he posted it.

On a personal note I might add here for everyone reading this thread, He is a totally different personality in person, aggressive as the Devil himself, he treats the customers as if they are fools and he is the only wise one in the whole world. He just doesn't want to listen to anyone else's P.O.V and if someone disagrees with him, he is willing to be a Stubborn Ass about it even if what the other is saying is based on hard facts.

------- X --------

@ Zero_cool

Well Sir, i have seen many more DOA cases for the Seasonic SS unit, you can search OCN and OC3D, Tom's hardware, Hardocp and many more forums for the same. That is a major reason why this PSU didn't fly off the shelves for the price point it was offered, also considering it's price point it would have to be the most VFM PSU of this Decade, provided it delivered what it promised, which was not the case. You won't be able to find any Reviews for this unit as I suppose Seasonic knew what they were offering, it is an OKAY PSU for a normal running rig, but for even a mild OC it's not even there at the starting line, forget about winning the honours.

About the 650TX version there weren't many DOA but lot's of failed units under load, so it was termed a bad unit for Overclocking and that's why they took it off the shelves and bought the newer Version which had a newer Design and better soldering than the earlier one.

Here One must understand that just about any good PSU will do for a normal running rig ( Talking about TX650, so that i am not quoted out of context again, i am adding the name here), but when it comes to OC you need a solid unit to deliver the goods ( which means a good unit won't do the job for you, u need an excellent, over the top unit for that) and this fact has to be kept in mind , TX650 on that front did not deliver and was revised.

Sir, I would request you to see how many of your friends are OCing on the TX unit's and i am not saying mild OC's, the OP in this thread remarked that he was going for a Beast of an OC and that's why i was stressing the Antec PSU, so please ask your friends to go for beast of an OC and keep it there for 24 X 7 for a whole month, and you will be able to comprehend the point i am stressing here about the Older TX650 unit. I might add here i also recommended OP to go for some other CPU cooler as it was not sufficient for his needs, so i have never once left his requirements out of perspective and my every recommedation has been keeping his requirements in mind.

------- X --------
I have nothing against Corsair, but I am just doing the best i can to keep the requirement of OP in mind and then recommend something for what his needs are.

Once again i request that my stress was on COMAPRED TO and the point being that the requirements of OP had to be taken in consideration and cannot be ignored at any point before a recommendation is made, and i tried to keep TRUE to that.

I don't have any personal Vendetta against any Company, The Corsair Unit is an OKAY unit for mild Oc'ing but it is not recommendable for what the OP was expecting to be delivered and same was the matter of discussion in the link i posted to support it. That's the main reason why i Recommended him the Antec TP550 before anything else since that unit met his requirements in every aspect of it. But since it was not available the next choice was TP650 and TX650 was not recommended for reason i have already explained above. 750w in any case is just a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE overkill and with his requirements of OC in mind, the Seasonic SS won't cut it by a long shot, and any excellent unit matching his requirements would have overshot his budget by miles, so that's why 750w was not at all recommended.

No Offence is intended to anyone, just stating facts supporting my recommendation with respect to OP's orginal question and also his requirements, as stated in the thread afterwards !!

Cheers!!

I couldn't bother with some of the lengthy posts here but has the OP finally bought or zeroed in on any model as yet?

All the posts above seem to confuse him in a way or the other. :p

Gannu said:
has the OP finally bought or zeroed in on any model as yet?

You're right.

@Casual Gamer : Hope we've not confused you :p

--------------------

preet27 said:
About the 650TX version there weren't many DOA but lot's of failed units under load, so it was termed a bad unit for Overclocking and that's why they took it off the shelves and bought the newer Version which had a newer Design and better soldering than the earlier one.

I am genuinely curious about the TX650 failing and it being pulled off the shelf. Can you post some credible links to this info?

I was under the (wrong?) impression that the V2 is more a series refresh, since the original TX650 unit is more than 3 yrs old.

I also looked at his earlier requirements, and he said he might be getting a GTX 580, which has a claimed power draw of ~244W. And he did say he would be overclocking, so I figured he could use the headroom.

dOm1naTOr said:
Also found a review of the SS 750 JS

Google Traductor

I had a look at that, WingZero posted the link on the 1st page.

They weren't able to do ripple tests on it, so I felt it was a bit incomplete. In any case, even their tests point out that its not 80+ Silver.

hey guys

i got the antec true power new 650 today

it cost me 6500 bucks

over all i feel that i should have gone for the hx650 as this power supply lacks when it comes to appeal and it has way too many cords hard wired

but now

my rig is not starting up

i have opened a new topic here

please give me your suggestions

Gannu said:
I couldn't bother with some of the lengthy posts here but has the OP finally bought or zeroed in on any model as yet?

All the posts above seem to confuse him in a way or the other. :p

this. :( I will buy the psu from kolkata where Antec isn't available. Corsair, Seasonic & Coolermaster Silent pro series are the good PSUs I can find here. What should I do now? I will buy on 7th may probably.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

How is SeaSonic S12II 620w? It has 48amp on +12v rail & the price is also very good. It meets my requirements also. Just one thing have to be sure that if It's cables are long enough to hide completely behind the motherboard tray specially the "4 Pin ATX 12V / EPS 12V one".

zero_cool said:
hey guys
i got the antec true power new 650 today
it cost me 6500 bucks

over all i feel that i should have gone for the hx650 as this power supply lacks when it comes to appeal and it has way too many cords hard wired
I Agree, me included wanted the COrsair HX650 unit but it wasn't available anywhere, The sleeving job on the cables makes it a PITA to do any kind of cable management, had a tough time myself getting all the cables in order, it's a semi modular PSU.

On another note the amount of connectors are more than enough for any kind of build, really well packed in terms of connectors and options.

@OP I think there is ampful amount of info on these pages for you to read out reviews and understand what they are trying to say, Check out the reviews for the unit u are looking at, there are quite a lot of them for the said unit and take a calculated decision.

Casual Gamer said:
I will buy the psu from kolkata where Antec isn't available. Corsair, Seasonic & Coolermaster Silent pro series are the good PSUs I can find here.

How is SeaSonic S12II 620w?

- The Seasonic S12II 620 is apparently a slightly updated S12II design called 'S12II Bronze'. Reviews look good. The 520W version is also from this newer S12II Bronze series : Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W Review . How much are you getting it for?

- The Antec TP-650 is based off the better Seasonic M12D design. However ripple on both this and the earlier S12II Bronze seem to stay within <25mV, so both seem fine.

- The Corsair TX650 is a tweaked S12II design. Yes it is a slightly dated design, but its not bad.

Pick whichever one has good support in your area.

- The Seasonic SS-750JS looks to be a budget design just below the S12II, so you might as well get the S12II itself.

The SS-850AT is a different series and a different story - its what the newer Corsair TX V2s are based on. But obviously its overkill for your needs, unless you're able to find a Corsair TX V2 here.

Back