Which one - WDTV (Rs 5475) Or WDTV Live (Rs 6582) ?

dheerajjotwani said:
@both...
yeah dynamic ip by airtel/reliance is okay. what you have to ensure that on pohd while setting up lan properties, you assign it a static ip and not let it attain an ip automatically thru the roouter/modem dhcp server. it is to be done within the network internally... it is no big shakes, just a minor point needing proper resolving.

Ok... but do i need to invite the reliance folks home to assign the static i.p. or is it something i can configure, using ur help????:eek:hyeah:

@dheerajjotwani

Thank you, Finally came to conclusion - PlayOn HD is perfect for my requirement but 11500 Rs jackpot is hitting hard :(

Can you please tell me if Asus O Play will do stuff what I require ?

Watch normal/HD movies, Download torrents, Play from external DVD drive.

Even support of any 2 will do :)

I havnt used asus. reviews do say that its good. i am not sure abt the external drive or torrents on it. but as far as it being a player is concerned, it works well

Saw some ok reviews on Asus... The xtreamer pro also did not fare well in that review..

So far, WDTV live and Playon HD have the best reviews... I am for Playon Hd.> Saw a video on Youtube on setting it up at home... Looked rocket science to me..

Now everyone out there wont have dheeraj to help... Hence, no wonder they still look like high profile gizmos to the common man.

Got the quote from iqtronics... .. hopefully by month end, this one shoulfd bein my living room

Just read one more review of Playon HD, says too much of fan noise.. Is it right Dheeraj ?

@Ripper - Play On & Xtremer are best of all but both costs above 10000 INR

I was thinking of Asus O Play now as I am getting around 6000 INR. Please share if you come across any material on using torrents on Oplay

Praks said:
Just read one more review of Playon HD, says too much of fan noise.. Is it right Dheeraj ?

I was thinking of Asus O Play now as I am getting around 6000 INR. Please share if you come across any material on using torrents on Oplay

I shall check... But, if u cant d/l torrents on Asus, then what? Is there any other device u researched that comes closer to your requirement other than playon?

Praks said:

fan noise is faint. not as loud as they claim it to be... unless in the night when everything is super quiet. it is comparable to the fan noise of a low powered desktop. not a hindrance !

ripper said:
I shall check... But, if u cant d/l torrents on Asus, then what? Is there any other device u researched that comes closer to your requirement other than playon?

you can consider breaking the process into two. use an asus router for 2k + hdd for dling and get oplay to play media. the cost of hdd is common so your setup might come to 8k. just a thought

Thank U Dheeraj for a tip. Wil prefer to have one device which downloads & plays.

I just came across eaget M880 which is point to point copy of Play ON HD. They release firmware once AC Ryan releases :) I Dont mind using this one if this is cheap :) coz it does everything what Play ON does just a Chinese stuff.

@Ripper - Do u plan to save 10000 Rs & go for eaget M880 ? We can combine & take 2.

Praks said:
Thank U Dheeraj for a tip. Wil prefer to have one device which downloads & plays.

I just came across eaget M880 which is point to point copy of Play ON HD. They release firmware once AC Ryan releases :) I Dont mind using this one if this is cheap :) coz it does everything what Play ON does just a Chinese stuff.

@Ripper - Do u plan to save 10000 Rs & go for eaget M880 ? We can combine & take 2.

I guess I need to look at alternatives other than Playon!
Playon without HDD - 11500
Dongle - 2500
HDD(1.5TB) - ???
router, reciever, etc etc....
This thing could cost me close to 20k...

And after all this, connection thru dongle is not reliable, lot of rocket science to learn and wired broadband is strictly out of question....
@ Dheeraj bhai... thoda confused ...

Thinking of going for a simple Playon mini, buy a 1 TB external iomega usb drive, D/l movies the traditional way thru my PC and make life simpler...

Praks said:

ripper said:
I guess I need to look at alternatives other than Playon!
Playon without HDD - 11500
Dongle - 2500
HDD(1.5TB) - ???
router, reciever, etc etc....
This thing could cost me close to 20k...

And after all this, connection thru dongle is not reliable, lot of rocket science to learn and wired broadband is strictly out of question....
@ Dheeraj bhai... thoda confused ...

Thinking of going for a simple Playon mini, buy a 1 TB external iomega usb drive, D/l movies the traditional way thru my PC and make life simpler...

ripper said:
But boss.. these chinese maal???.. can u rely on them?... U have to give it a honourable burial if it konks off on day 2...

genuine concern sure is price. the only way to combat it is to buy a mini like i said earlier. doing torrents could be achieved in two ways, traditional way is to keep your pc on or alternative way is to make the whole thing work on a wireless router which ofcourse is a little technical yet very very manageable.

suggest not to go for egeat just by seeing online. if u can check the interface somehow and take a feel, then decide accordingly. of all the things that look good on paper, less then 1/10th turn out true on their word !

dheerajjotwani said:
genuine concern sure is price. the only way to combat it is to buy a mini like i said earlier. doing torrents could be achieved in two ways, traditional way is to keep your pc on or alternative way is to make the whole thing work on a wireless router which ofcourse is a little technical yet very very manageable.

suggest not to go for egeat just by seeing online. if u can check the interface somehow and take a feel, then decide accordingly. of all the things that look good on paper, less then 1/10th turn out true on their word !

I wrote back to Ranga to relook at the price for the mini... 7700 net... He says this is the best possible.

Another option boss is that I might travel to US in May or June. U think popcornC200 would come cheap?... on youtube, the interface of Ppcorn looked a tad better than playon...

But, I seriously dont want to overcomplicate life. Whats ur research on Popcorn dheeraj bhai? Based on your reply, I might take the plunge...

@ praks.. Boss, the UI of Egeat looked crappy. I also checked out some Yien M890... That one is slightly expensive but can record TV also... But, chinese maal is dangerous boss.... especially since they are'nt brand conscious!

ripper said:
I wrote back to Ranga to relook at the price for the mini... 7700 net... He says this is the best possible.

Another option boss is that I might travel to US in May or June. U think popcornC200 would come cheap?... on youtube, the interface of Ppcorn looked a tad better than playon...

But, I seriously dont want to overcomplicate life. Whats ur research on Popcorn dheeraj bhai? Based on your reply, I might take the plunge...

thats great buddy. yes you could look into PCH200 which undoubtedly is the BIG DADDY of them all, or also hopefully by the time you go, there might another good variant of PCH called POPbox but its too early to comment how things would pan out for it. preview videos on you tube do show a good product.

dheerajjotwani said:
thats great buddy. yes you could look into PCH200 which undoubtedly is the BIG DADDY of them all, or also hopefully by the time you go, there might another good variant of PCH called POPbox but its too early to comment how things would pan out for it. preview videos on you tube do show a good product.

So, u would recommend that i rather buy the PCH or POPbox than hurrying up on playon mini ( if PCH fits my budget)...ok...

Let me see what best price I can get a PCH200 online....

at best, it would always be $50 or more on the pohd. do consider shipping to US also if shipping from singapore or china. there are one or two distributors in US though.

the problem would be warranty. pohd, with a distributor network here, takes care of that atleast. this is what made me finalise my decision. i was pretty much set on PCH C200 or PCH A200, when i realised with all the set features i am getting the product with warranty and support in India, and i went the POHD way

Boss, I am making the payment for the mini today. Probably by the weekend, the unit should reach me.

I am sincerely counting on your help to set it up!

Back