Which one - WDTV (Rs 5475) Or WDTV Live (Rs 6582) ?

dheerajjotwani said:
but with mini you cant do direct downloads...

True, But I guess, this should do for me. I have a very good PC which has no other work other than d/ling.

Moreover, the budget! 1 TB is around 4500 here, + the router, modem, reciever, wifi dongle... easily 20k+

Wired is impossible at home coz I have a kid who will trip as many times as is humanly possible and hence its a strict no from wife

And, I can't learn all this rocket science of wifi d/ling. Better keep it simple.

I have a 320 gb external HDD which I will use to play movies for the time being.When I go to US, I shall buy a 1 TB external HDD. That should keep me alive for awhile!

And, my current requirement is a HD player which plays almost anything, all the latest codecs built in, neat interface and a reliable brand. I guess, Playon fits the bill well.

EDIT: just got this fresh off the forum... a new beta f/w for mini has been released... it has BT feature added and under trial... so a positive step for sure

dheerajjotwani said:
EDIT: just got this fresh off the forum... a new beta f/w for mini has been released... it has BT feature added and under trial... so a positive step for sure

Oh!.. Thats cool. May be I will learn the rocket science later!

Guysss WD TV LIVE or ASUS O PLAY AIR. please help me .

even i saw that, and now i need to get that or asus o play air - asus has in bulit wireless adapter and i am already having an Asus RT-N13u

Ehh this thread has gone to great length.. May be can I rename to "Best Media Player Hunt" :)

There is a member on TE who owns EAGET M880. I will try to get his opinion.

@Ripper, Please check this.

http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/1080p-bring-it-on-150126.html

He paid - M880 & 802.11n wifi adapter - Approx 6000 Rupees

Remember there are NO Moving parts in media player apart from HDD, So very very less chance of damage.

Popcorn hour is KING of all players but damn damn costly deal. I would be happy to use EAGET M880 :)

Request raksrules to give feedback on EAGET M880 ? Does it play all normal & HD vids, are you able to download torrents & play from external DVD drive ?

Do PM me the process of payment & purchase

Made my decision, buying Playon mini... just the player...

Cant live in uncertainty for loong... makes my heart a tad weaker :)

First of all sorry praks for late reply. I did not check this thread :ashamed:

And yes i do own a Eaget M880 media player and it works really well for me currently.

The package consisted of the media player, a chinese remote (yes chinese), HDMI cable, AV cable and chinese (read useless) manual. The player does carry a warranty but it is futile for me as i am not in China any more.

I have a 1TB WD Caviar Green HDD installed inside the player and that acts as my primary storage medium. The eaget m880 flawlessly plays all my media files irrespective of the format or resolution, but keep in mind that it for some weird reason does not support wmv files :S Although that is a non issue to me as i rarely have any WMVs.

Video and photo

Jpeg decoding is really good and video look nice and crisp on my 46" Sony Bravia TV. An earlier f/w version had compatibility issues with sony bravia tvs but a f/w update solved the issue for me

Network Connectivity

I have been successfully able to stream media from my laptop to eaget m880 wirelessly with a wifi N dongle attached to the media player. I used the TVersity media player for that. uPnP i meant here.

Torrent Downloading

Now this is something i rarely used. In an ideal situation when there is a connection established between your computer and player (using wifi or USB) you have to key in an address in your browser to access the network neighborhood of the player where you can add the torrent files. This access is currently broken so another way is to add torrent to any folder in the internal HDD and select it directly from player for downloading. Internally (without PC support), player has predefined set of websites from where you can download torrent. Problem is all are chinese.

Network Radio

Earlier firmware version had shoutcast while it was removed in later f/w (god knows why), so consider this feature useless currently as it has predefined chinese radio stations only. Currently there are developments to access to unix kernel of the player to be able to add shoutcast URLs manually to play radio. But yes online radio feature does work fine (chinese though :p)

Audio

I am presuming that very less people will be using the media player for feeding their audio needs, so i better skip this. Just that the UI in audio part is really not that good. I never use it for songs so i can live with it.

External drive support

The latest firmware of this player does support external DVD drive (USB powered). I am yet to try it. Can provide update on this soon after few days since i have ordered an external DVD writer through ebay and is expected to come in few days. But once i tried my standard desktop DVD writer (powered through external power adapter) and it detected it fine and played the DVD i think.

This eaget m880 player has feature set, problems, bugs and everything similar to the AC Ryan Play ON HD. Infact whenever AC Ryan comes out with a f/w for their player, eaget peeps copy that firmware, do some changes and port it to the eaget m880.

I have once unsuccessfully tried to flash my eaget m880 with AC Ryan firmware.

I had bought this player for 6000 rupees inclusive of wifi dongle. I am sure it is available for 20% lesser price now (in China though)

Any more questions, shoot here :)

Praks said:
Go ahead :)
I am waiting for raksrules to reply...

Just did some search..

EAGET M880
Eaget M880 Media Center 1080p Output rmvb m2 mkv ifo - eBay (item 330398143683 end time Apr-22-10 21:29:22 PDT)
7912 Rs with coupon of 500 Rs off - You get for 7412 INR
that is the price of a mini. and now with the new trial firmware coming out with BT support, i think both these products fetching at the same price, you can be the best judge !
ripper said:
Made my decision, buying Playon mini... just the player...
Cant live in uncertainty for loong... makes my heart a tad weaker :)
lol... its worth the wait!
raksrules said:
First of all sorry praks for late reply. I did not check this thread :ashamed:
And yes i do own a Eaget M880 media player and it works really well for me currently.

The package consisted of the media player, a chinese remote (yes chinese), HDMI cable, AV cable and chinese (read useless) manual. The player does carry a warranty but it is futile for me as i am not in China any more.

I have a 1TB WD Caviar Green HDD installed inside the player and that acts as my primary storage medium. The eaget m880 flawlessly plays all my media files irrespective of the format or resolution, but keep in mind that it for some weird reason does not support wmv files :S Although that is a non issue to me as i rarely have any WMVs.

Video and photo
Jpeg decoding is really good and video look nice and crisp on my 46" Sony Bravia TV. An earlier f/w version had compatibility issues with sony bravia tvs but a f/w update solved the issue for me

Network Connectivity
I have been successfully able to stream media from my laptop to eaget m880 wirelessly with a wifi N dongle attached to the media player. I used the TVersity media player for that. uPnP i meant here.

Torrent Downloading
Now this is something i rarely used. In an ideal situation when there is a connection established between your computer and player (using wifi or USB) you have to key in an address in your browser to access the network neighborhood of the player where you can add the torrent files. This access is currently broken so another way is to add torrent to any folder in the internal HDD and select it directly from player for downloading. Internally (without PC support), player has predefined set of websites from where you can download torrent. Problem is all are chinese.

Network Radio
Earlier firmware version had shoutcast while it was removed in later f/w (god knows why), so consider this feature useless currently as it has predefined chinese radio stations only. Currently there are developments to access to unix kernel of the player to be able to add shoutcast URLs manually to play radio. But yes online radio feature does work fine (chinese though :p)

Audio
I am presuming that very less people will be using the media player for feeding their audio needs, so i better skip this. Just that the UI in audio part is really not that good. I never use it for songs so i can live with it.

External drive support
The latest firmware of this player does support external DVD drive (USB powered). I am yet to try it. Can provide update on this soon after few days since i have ordered an external DVD writer through ebay and is expected to come in few days. But once i tried my standard desktop DVD writer (powered through external power adapter) and it detected it fine and played the DVD i think.

This eaget m880 player has feature set, problems, bugs and everything similar to the AC Ryan Play ON HD. Infact whenever AC Ryan comes out with a f/w for their player, eaget peeps copy that firmware, do some changes and port it to the eaget m880.
I have once unsuccessfully tried to flash my eaget m880 with AC Ryan firmware.

I had bought this player for 6000 rupees inclusive of wifi dongle. I am sure it is available for 20% lesser price now (in China though)

Any more questions, shoot here :)
WOW... it looks just the same. had the remote not been different, i would have swooned ! lol... but BT works pretty well on the pohd when using wired lan preferably. no issues with wmv format either. i didnt know there was a inbuilt search support for torrents. atleast it doesnt show on POHD. if you do torrents, id suggest you try loading frater's script on your player and see if it can load optware. you can then have a lot of additional utilities for the player...

dheerajjotwani said:
WOW... it looks just the same. had the remote not been different, i would have swooned ! lol... but BT works pretty well on the pohd when using wired lan preferably. no issues with wmv format either. i didnt know there was a inbuilt search support for torrents. atleast it doesnt show on POHD. if you do torrents, id suggest you try loading frater's script on your player and see if it can load optware. you can then have a lot of additional utilities for the player...

Are you any ways related to the company of Play ON HD or a reseller in India or something similar ???
And yes it just does not look similar it is almost same including the initial GUI that came with first firmware. Hence i mentioned that all the issues with POHD are also there in the eaget m880. Infact in my showoff i have mentioned that is can be called as OEM POHD.
The inbuilt support for searching torrents is supposedly only available in the chinese player eaget AFAIK.
What is this frater's script and optware ? :S

raksrules said:
Are you any ways related to the company of Play ON HD or a reseller in India or something similar ???
And yes it just does not look similar it is almost same including the initial GUI that came with first firmware. Hence i mentioned that all the issues with POHD are also there in the eaget m880. Infact in my showoff i have mentioned that is can be called as OEM POHD.
The inbuilt support for searching torrents is supposedly only available in the chinese player eaget AFAIK.
What is this frater's script and optware ? :S

no connections to pohd whatsoever... just that found it to be amazing and hence trying to assist others decide.

Optware
Optware with Frater's script on POHD

@raksrules

Awesome man, Thanks a lot for amazing write up.

I never played or will play WMV stuff so don't mind if it does not play.

About Torrent Downloading, hmmm If I have .torrent files in my PC will it be able to download.

will it be able to download at 120 Kbps (my connection's max speed) ? Max 3-4 torrents at a time.

No plans to use online radio so its fine with me.

Audio - No plan to use it as audio player, iPOD does it better.

External drive support- Please provide update on it once u get your stuff.

player for 6000 rupees inclusive of wifi dongle. - Mmmm mind blowing :) Can you please tell me current price

with & without wifi dongle from your source.

@dheerajjotwani

Bhai, let me know soon if Mini starts supporting torrents.

Back