Which one - WDTV (Rs 5475) Or WDTV Live (Rs 6582) ?

dheerajjotwani said:
ahhh thats super ! i can relate to the thrill... so what were the final damages then ?

Ranga is shipping it today!.. Final damages Rs.7700.

I currently have a 320gb external HDD which I plan to dedicate to the player.
Later, when I go to US this June, planning to buy a 1 TB external HDD.

Dheeraj Bhai, how do u install the player on the TV?... Just connect the HDMI cable and play or do we need to tinker with the settings???

Please post a step by step approach boss.. will be helpful:eek:hyeah:

ripper said:
Ranga is shipping it today!.. Final damages Rs.7700.

I currently have a 320gb external HDD which I plan to dedicate to the player.
Later, when I go to US this June, planning to buy a 1 TB external HDD.

Dheeraj Bhai, how do u install the player on the TV?... Just connect the HDMI cable and play or do we need to tinker with the settings???

Please post a step by step approach boss.. will be helpful:eek:hyeah:

just connect hdmi cable. in settings it will auto select display. u can connect the audio to an external receiver or let it pass through the hdmi to your tv. nothing more required... let it just do the magic... if you wish to use your network.. enable samba in settings and ur attached rive will be visible on your network...

Praks said:
@raksrules

Please reply :)

Hey what exactly you wanna know.

I received my external drive today only so can test it with eaget on weekend only (currently in Pune).
Getting this player at rates i mentioned is tad difficult since i had bought it from china itself so that would really not be possible for you i guess.
I do not have a source as such. You can check taobao.com for the current price. Mind you the entire site is in chinese and google translate does not work there. so just search for M880.

I checked the site and price is around 700 RMB which is like 4.6k INR.

@raksrules

Thanks bro.

Just these points I am looking for.

>> Torrent Downloading, If I have .torrent files in my PC will it be able to download.

will it be able to download at 120 Kbps (my connection's max speed) ? Max 3-4 torrents at a time.

>> External drive support- Please provide update on it once u get your stuff.

You can surely test over weekend & post here.

4.6 INR is great deal. how reliable is taobao.com ? Guys anyone aware of site where I can get M880 ?

Praks said:
@raksrules

Thanks bro.

Just these points I am looking for.

>> Torrent Downloading, If I have .torrent files in my PC will it be able to download.

will it be able to download at 120 Kbps (my connection's max speed) ? Max 3-4 torrents at a time.

Will check over weekend and let you know. But as i told you the torrent adding function using PC is broken i am skeptical whether directly placing the .torrent file on HDD and accessing it internally will work or not. Let me try and see.

>> External drive support- Please provide update on it once u get your stuff.

You can surely test over weekend & post here.

Will check over weekend.

4.6 INR is great deal. how reliable is taobao.com ? Guys anyone aware of site where I can get M880 ?

Taobao is a reliable site. Actually it can be called ebay of china. But you really cannot get the product shipped to India.

Dheeraj bhai... I have videos taken by my Cybershot camera. They show up as .avi files on the external HDD. Playon wont play???:huh:

When i select the file, the screen goes blank and then the home menu shows up???:mad:

Can u help????:(

ripper said:
Dheeraj bhai... I have videos taken by my Cybershot camera. They show up as .avi files on the external HDD. Playon wont play???:huh:

When i select the file, the screen goes blank and then the home menu shows up???:mad:

Can u help????:(

they playing on ur comp from the same hdd... i didnt experience any such problem when i tried doing this initially...

Well guys, a small review on the Playon mini!

Decent interface, simple remote, plays most of the media files, Playon mini is a cool device for a non techie bloke, where life is simple... plug in a pen drive and play!

The interface is nice ( They are better ones I saw on Youtube), operatable without scanning the details through the manual.

As I said, almost all files play. Not every one of them.

Now, when I mention that, the files that don't play are video files shot from my cybershot camera and broken downloaded wmv files from the internet. My Sony handycam videos play very well. Infact, it plays the all the files one after another, avoiding pressing the play button each time.

Obviously, the video quality sound is a factor of my TV and my my, the Bravia Ex500 that I bought 2 weeks back rocks. HD movies look absolutely superb on the Bravia.

I had shivaji (Rajnikanth lousy movie) 720 Bluray mkv file, and shreya on 100Hz motionplus looked like she was dancing in my living room:hap2:

Not to mention the beast ( sorry rajnikanth fans).

I do not have a typical 1080 mkv file ( 6+ gb) with me. Wonder how they look on my Bravia!!!... And I am confident that they'll Play...

All in all, I needed a dependable HD player that plays most of the files that are there to be played, and I am satisfied with Playon.

I also wanted a player which had the bittorrent facility which dheeraj bhai could teach me how to configure and use it to download on to my external HDD and Play on is Future ready for me!

There are too many options out there and I guess, they confuse us a lot. I can't research for too long...

And Finally... THANKS DHEERAJ BHAI... YOU HELPED ME TAKE A INFORMED DECISION :)

ur welcome... i am glad to have been able to help you take this informed decision !

its just a mini wonder... with torrenting bound to come in the not so distant future, i suggest you subscribe to A.C. Ryan Forums for staying upto date !

@Raksrules

Waiting for external DVD testing & torrent on eaget M880, Were you able to test over weekend ?

@dheerajjotwani

Please update when mini starts supporting downloading torrents. I dont mind waiting for few more days & take the best deal.

Just wanna know one thing:- Can WDTVlive downmix DTS signals for playback on tv without the need for A/V receivers if it's directly connected to the tv using hdmi cable ??

Praks said:
@Raksrules

Waiting for external DVD testing & torrent on eaget M880, Were you able to test over weekend ?

I was not able to test torrents (sorry for that) but yes i tried testing the external DVDRW option. It seems the feature is still not completely implemented in the firmware. The plauer correctly recognized the DVD writer as a DVD drive and when i popped in a moser bear 3 in 1 DVD it played itself but to a blank screen. I tried clicking few buttons on remote and things like Chapter and all (not DVD content but default player GUI) came one but movie never played. Will try some more this weekend.

Back