whos the real slim shady please stand up

[quote name='kumar']Here is my openion:

I know what it takes to make a software (and debug it).Though im not a s/w pro,i can imagine the labour in developing s/w.

But IMO theese points r what i noticed (with respect to myself) for not using legitimate s/w:

1.Hardware prices:
get the hardware prices on par with the US then there is really a chance of more ppl buying s/w

dude first u answering my thread yes or no

and then well even i got an idea once why there cant be locked bios chips of os
of about 1 gb preinstalled on the mobo itself atleast that will be a deterrent to mass os copying and easy installing ,i know it will broken soon but then it aint than any toms job to overcome it , as thereare firmwares in our symbian fones

and guys plzz first answer the BIG QUESTION and then u can carry on with ur comments and it is nice to see so many of u know about ipr

so dudes dudes plzz do u think that its ingrained in us to be pirates when i thought australians and east indian company fellas were even who have now after years of colonization come up to repect ipr , no no no :no: :no: :no:
as far as i remember the indian phlosophy has never been so piracy loving its somewhere here we youth with our HOTA HAI CHALTA HAI ATTITUDE given this a rise to its demonic proportions and it will be not far when we all will be at the receiving side of the stick,
NEVER HAVE OUR PAARENTS NOR THE EDUCATION IMPARTED TO US PRODDED US TO STEAL SO WHY R WE NOT FEELING THE PINCH OF IT and nikhil i think condemning indians for it bei
ng in their genes aint the right thing u hinting to

YES
The only legitimate s/w i own is nero 6 which i got with my cd writer

Why r u being so paranoid abt the whole senario?

If i want to buy all the s/w i need,it will cost an arm and a leg for the whole thing + the cost of the hardware.Not many indians can afford that.IMHO 4k is STILL high.

The final thing is that piracy is like poverty which can not be eradicated only lowered.
PS:
Pls try to be clearer when u post by using quotes etc.

vicky said:
so dudes dudes plzz do u think that its ingrained in us to be pirates when i thought australians and east indian company fellas were even who have now after years of colonization come up to repect ipr , no no no :no: :no: :no:
as far as i remember the indian phlosophy has never been so piracy loving its somewhere here we youth with our HOTA HAI CHALTA HAI ATTITUDE given this a rise to its demonic proportions and it will be not far when we all will be at the receiving side of the stick,
NEVER HAVE OUR PAARENTS NOR THE EDUCATION IMPARTED TO US PRODDED US TO STEAL SO WHY R WE NOT FEELING THE PINCH OF IT and nikhil i think condemning indians for it bei
ng in their genes aint the right thing u hinting to

I did a little bit of research on piracy and it shows that there are countries where piracy is far worse than India. In USA, loss due to piracy is more than 10 times that of India. Please see the following study
http://www.bsa.org/globalstudy/upload/2005-Global-Study-English.pdf

I've some legit pc games - doom2, dreamweb, XS, duke nukem : atomic edition, USNF, sega sky target, NFS2 SE, MIB, motoracer, independence day, titanic, cricket '97, indiana jones and the infernal machine, thief2, system shock 2, ut99, deus ex, sof, sof2, nolf2, falcon4 and lomac.

<stormblast> I play only legally downloaded games

I hav a friend.he used to earn ~3k p.m.After working for full 12mths, he treated himself by buying a copy of OfficeXp Pro for 23k & WinXP for dunno how much.(Guess when he told me that he had BOUGHT OfficeXp for 23k, my jaw fell to d floor & my head was still ringing wid d notes of that!) Just throws the argument outta d window;that ppl dont BUY S/W here coz its WAY over-priced.; doesnt it??!

I am not for piracy.... I could actually get hold of an *ahem* copy of GTA SA. I still went ahead and bought the original for 1.8K from the US.

I have a HUUUUGE collection of original games... FarCry, HL2, NFS(all from 2 to UG2), F1 2002, Carmageddon TDR2000, MS FS 2000 and 2004-- A century of flight, Call of Duty, CMR Rally 2005, Counterstrike Condition Zero, Hlaf Life, MP1, MP2, and a few other cheapo games....

I buy the original coz I can afford it.

So, in the end it all comes down to pricing. Let MS price their OS decently, and I will buy the original. I like having original stuff......

But I still do not know if my copy of XP PRo is origina or pirated.....

delhiboy1000 said:
I hav a friend.he used to earn ~3k p.m.After working for full 12mths, he treated himself by buying a copy of OfficeXp Pro for 23k & WinXP for dunno how much.(Guess when he told me that he had BOUGHT OfficeXp for 23k, my jaw fell to d floor & my head was still ringing wid d notes of that!) Just throws the argument outta d window;that ppl dont BUY S/W here coz its WAY over-priced.; doesnt it??!
as delhiboy quoted its very right the one who wants to do piracy may do so
not bcoz he doesnt afford but bcoz he wants to do its the theory of MENS REA in law where it says intensity of crime increases and needs a specific ingredient thar is GUILTY MIND, and evn ignorance is no excuse in law , as u might have seen in salman khan case when he ran over few ppl with his vehicle, so where does this all boil down too,

from the excerpts of our discussion till now i find 50-50 ppl using pirated thats really a good no. not what i expected , i thought 90 percent use pirscy and somewhere my friends logic is sure falling in place,
if knowledge is inseminated in the educated class why piracy is wrong they will surely restrain, but still lotta members remaining to answer so just let me wait and watch.

Again nikhil u are banking to sophistry, false argument, its logical but the premise is faulty, that price factor never led to piracy evn if u r getting a legit cd for 100 rupees i have seen dudes happily riping the audiocd and not buying 1 , saying 100 rupees wont make a huge difference, so this is a sadistic pleasure , which piracy mongers who r more of a share-all kind , get out of doing piracy, they fall in adifferent breed than the bootleggers who do it for commercial purpose, this is the whole logic even behind ur peer 2 peer software , why do we like to share crime, as the freudian philosophy goes,

read this example properly and u will know, if u are alone on the street and some one is caught in accident and profusely bleeding u will be the first 1 to help that person out, mind me only if u were alone, but consider it being a crowded street than u wont take the initiative neither any one of ur peers as each will be waiting for other to initiate or start.

now when freudian theory analyses it the reasoning is as humans we do have a guilt factor where in first case that gulit aint divided but in the other case it gets divided between all the peers so lack of prompt action,

now when u superimpose the same logic on the peeer 2 peer mania , we try to divide our guilt by distributing pirated copies and thus unconsiously feel gratified by the more people who become partners in our crime.
thus here is what i surmise on its not ms nor the prices which prod us to piracy (to tackle it there r other tools available) but this is the thief in us(a kind of hatred towards the system which is manifested ) who
likes to dominate and no other reason

Count_Down said:
I did a little bit of research on piracy and it shows that there are countries where piracy is far worse than India. In USA, loss due to piracy is more than 10 times that of India. Please see the following study
http://www.bsa.org/globalstudy/upload/2005-Global-Study-English.pdf
and dude their loss seems to be higher due to they being giagantic economies as far as volume is concerned but if consider as a proportion of gdp ours would be higher, and we do not even have a proper quantization of loss to piracy
as most of the cops are not ipr educated , do u know guys that evn forwarding of ring tunes without the authors permission or license tantamounts to piracy
well even i belive some places the law is an ass as it makes the laws which can never be implemented

vicky said:
dude on a serious note if the pack available for 8k if i offered u for 4 k wud u buy it or tommorrow if they really start suing with class action suits demanding
punitive damages of lac rupees wud u buy it, if the cops started cracking down as they do when u steal something from a showroom wud u still use ur copy, so do we need an exmple to be law abidding or what u think fellas doesnt microsoft know that rampant piracy is existing in india, and why it keeping quite then, the stories wholly different then what it looks, they are aiming for something else other they have a very sinister plan
4k, Yeah sure I would buy Windows XP Professional.

Don't talk about stealing here, this is the Tech World. If Microsoft could offer me secure updates, good services with the original I would definately buy it. But sadly they DONT !

I paid 1.2k for AVG Professional :eek:hyeah: cause it ROCKS ! Undoubtedely, and I felt like paying that amount. Now I get daily updates and lots of cool features.

However I don't feel that way about Windows and I won't do it. Maybe I'll buy Vista but then again not for 6k :p

anishcool said:
4k, Yeah sure I would buy Windows XP Professional.

Don't talk about stealing here, this is the Tech World. If Microsoft could offer me secure updates, good services with the original I would definately buy it. But sadly they DONT !

I paid 1.2k for AVG Professional :eek:hyeah: cause it ROCKS ! Undoubtedely, and I felt like paying that amount. Now I get daily updates and lots of cool features.

However I don't feel that way about Windows and I won't do it. Maybe I'll buy Vista but then again not for 6k :p

i know anish u too got a heart of gold and not u alone the whole te does but i had to probe deeper to get the real reason out

Two laptops: both came with legal copies of Windows (2000 and XP Pro)

Two Desktops: WIndows XP Nehru Place Edition :eek:hyeah:

Going to buy a XP MCE and replace the OS in one of the machine very soon.

vicky said:
guys still waiting for ur poll though and mods plzzz have i got to bribe u or smthin when am i getting my poll
PM one of the mods for this section or the Global mods with suitable options for the poll and they'll do the needful

Back