CPU/Mobo why are new intel mobos so expensive ?

Because new? Intel chipsets have been expensive than the same level AMD chipsets, it's been like that for at least as long as Ryzen has been around. Licensing costs for motherboard vendors, probably.

new intel mobo's for 12th gen cpu's supporting intel mobos are expensive af. am4 boards with the same features are way cheaper. why so ?

Intel boards have always been a rip off, remember the days when they constantly rendered older boards useless by changing sockets with every new gen they released ?
Part of the reason AMD succeeded is due to the long term support of the AM4 platform.
With the vfm/performance the 12th gen CPUs bring to the table, it was a good opportunity to claw back some lost mainstream market share with cheaper b660 boards at least.

Intel boards have always been a rip off, remember the days when they constantly rendered older boards useless by changing sockets with every new gen they released ?
Part of the reason AMD succeeded is due to the long term support of the AM4 platform.
With the vfm/performance the 12th gen CPUs bring to the table, it was a good opportunity to claw back some lost mainstream market share with cheaper b660 boards at least.
Yes, but they are still clawing back that market share. Because price / performance ratio of 12th gen i5s and i3s is much much better than most available AMD processors, they are able to get away with expensive motherboards. And at least temporarily for now, upgrade options of AM4 are also as limited as 12th gen mobos. One leaker recently leaked that Raptor Lake CPUs will be supported by Alder Lake motherboards - can't be sure, of course.

But yes, with 11th gen, there was no point for Intel motherboards being so expensive. Just Intel's habit, as we know.

Yes, but they are still clawing back that market share. Because price / performance ratio of 12th gen i5s and i3s is much much better than most available AMD processors, they are able to get away with expensive motherboards. And at least temporarily for now, upgrade options of AM4 are also as limited as 12th gen mobos. One leaker recently leaked that Raptor Lake CPUs will be supported by Alder Lake motherboards - can't be sure, of course.

But yes, with 11th gen, there was no point for Intel motherboards being so expensive. Just Intel's habit, as we know.
Companies just try to get away with whatever they can. Ryzen brought some much needed sense regarding price in market.

Back