Willing to source stuff from US...

guptaji

Adept
Hey guys,
One of my frnds is coming down from US during March end, 27 march to be precise(atleast as of now)...
I'm askiing to buy stuff for me and willing to ask him to get some stuff for other TE members as well(TE members only :))

1. Primarily, he is coming alone and the amount of stuff or the number of items he can bring down here will solely depend on wat he can bring in without gettin into CUSTOMS hassles..
I would need some help here to know as to how much stuff is safe to bring in..??

2. I would be charging a flat 15% over the MRP of the product as profit for me and my frnd :)

3. I think ordering from newegg would be the safest bet..i've bought stuff from there before and have had a good experience..although any other store is also ok with me.

4. Money (Price + Shipping charges) will have to be deposited into my account at ICICI, from where i'll wire transfer to his account in the US so that he can place the order.
If anyone is interested in buying anything, please let me know ASAP so that we can work some details out.
i would like to keep a deadline of March 12 as of now, for the money to show in my account...

any other queries/comments, please post

reserve some space for me too .. will let u know what i want soooooon. maybe a gpu. am checking newegg now.

also should the full amount be deposited in your account before hand itself ?? do confirm.

okie dude .. ill decide by march 11 and let u knw .. i really will need a gpu so please reserve some space for me .. actually waiting for the 7900 series from nvidia and maybe they will be launched by march 10th .. and as i have an icici account myself so ill instantly transfer the cash to ur account by march 12th.

count me in. thanks.

baasha said:
guys,
i need to know how much stuff is safe to bring in...??
all i can say is if its calcutta airport u can bring as much stuffs as u want just make sure u bribe the custom peoples u'll get away a little too easily as i got away with the wrong shipping of antec p180.

Dosent matter usually, whichever airport u are u can bribe the customs officials . Have done it in blore a few times. And since ur friend is coming from the US even better as the customs guys prefer US dollars. But yea there is a limit, dont try to get tooo much stuff.

baasha said:
@x86
dude, no bribe scene here..
dont believe thats right nd moreover cant take that risk..
dude read the previous post by hunter whatever u bring if thts not under custom rules u have to pay a little premium which actually isnt bribe as i said but U HAVE TO. ur not bringing heatsinks hel if u bring heatsinks in large quantity they'll charge u its normal its like say a gatepass like say..
"bhai yea rakhle .. "hands up 100$" .. mai chalta hu"
from opposite "koi dikkat nehi ap aramse jaiye"
see when i got my antec p180 by mistake it wasnt mentioned a gift item i weas said have to pay a total of 6% + octroi + Vat tax PERIOD! but a guy came up took around rs 650 and did it within 5 mins and i got saway with the case though its front part is broken but ths another story.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can safely bring stuff worth around 800 Dollars in withouht hassle.

Bribing the customs guys is the best thing to do IMO.

Never faced a problem actually, so cant say.

When your bringing something from the US... it purely depends on the flight th guy is taking... in Luftansa(hope i spelt it right)...- one stop at frankfurt and then to NY and back the same way, the ppl at my office when the go to onsite the use this...- You can have 2 baggages 30 Kgs each... and a hand bag i guess...ie carrying in you hand while flying...

Basically its not just the weight but also the size.... No LCD monitors, no cases. If you order too many stuff your sure get caught. You can probably get a processor / mobo / graphics card a lil more... ie diff parts and tell the customs that its gonna be for personal use.

But other than that i dont think the customs are fools....

BTW i am no pretty sure abt the $800 limit... no idea

I got these details cos... i planning stuff from US my CPU / mobo /gfx card/ Sound Card probably... cos 3 ppl are going and coming back from my office... mind you 3 ....not ONE!!

CAREFUL ppl dont take risks.....

Based on my experience, if he's arriving in Bombay/Chennai with a lot of components, he is screwed - Bangalore is a cake walk (after I found a neat no-cost-or-risk workaround ;)).

The big issue is that Indian customs officials have no friggin idea what the hell you're saying when you utter words like "motherboard" or "graphics card"... on one of my trips I brought a board and was also carrying a notebook - they seriously thought I was hiding a second notebook :S That should give you an idea what your friend is up against if he is carrying too many components - my advice would be to carry things like graphics/sound cards, CPU, heatsinks, vga coolers, fans. And try not to carry too much if you're coming through Bombay or Chennai.

On the other hand, if he is arriving in Bangalore, I'd be glad to share that workaround...

EDIT: They're not going to listen to you about the price of items you carry... sadly, they just care about making a quick buck :(

goldenfrag said:
You can safely bring stuff worth around 800 Dollars in withouht hassle.
Bribing the customs guys is the best thing to do IMO.
Never faced a problem actually, so cant say.

Attempt to bribe the wrong guy and you could land in a lot of trouble...

Ok.

I just brought my Entire PC from USA, in June. I didnt get stuck anywhere. Why, coz i looked like a kid, and was with my Mom only :D.

Mobo, Ram, Gfx Card, Proccy, Hdd, Monitor, for god sakes, even the keyboard :D.

I didnt get into any trouble. Just put the bag thru the Screening machine and picked it up on the other side.

Its actually a Rs.25000 Limit.

Anything above that will be charged duty.

Im just saying, the upper limit he can push it too, without getting caught.

After the stuff arrives in India, are you going to ship them to the members individually ???

And will the shipping cost included in your 15% profit ???:eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

I might get some small stuff....fans, cable wraps....:eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

even my frnd mentioned the 25k limit..so i guess it should be fine..
and it would perhaps be better to stick to relatively smaller components like proccys,HS,Gfx cards etc instead of LCD monitors..
and i think one (max 2) items of each kind wud be safe..

confirmed buyers:
X86 : SI-120 HSF and creative X-Fi card..

@saumil
send me the links dude..
@switch,Rave
LCD monitors are doubtful for now..quite bulky

Can he just get me a hdd..its with my cousin in NJ who will ship it to him...he need not buy it online and i will pay you guys some (small?) amount of cash..

Back