Win XP/Ubuntu dual boot

Nautilus is a File Manager !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus_(file_manager)

HAL is really complicated thing to worry about.

HAL will take care of many things. It will automatically configure your NTFS partitions for read and write in your case.

This is just one of its functions in the context of an OS.

Most modern OS will have some HAL. That includes Windows, MAC OS X etc.

But I see that HAL daemon is installed by default in Ubuntu, So don't worry.

here is some info about HAL Daemon,(not actual concepts of HAL).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_(software)

nac said:
What do u mean by mounting? (I google it and found some results but still i Need some explanation)

If this is the case, i dont need to bother a lot about mounting, i guess.???

In Windows, by default, When it starts, DVD-ROM, Floppy Drive, All NTFS/FAT partitions on all hard disks attached are mounted and ready to use.

But in Linux only the root File System is mounted. At boot time. But this now is becoming history, today most linux mount all disk devices on boot just like windows.

If NTFS is not mounted, then you have to edit FSTAB file or HAL Daemon if enabled Should do it automatically for you.

Ubuntu sure list partitions.. But it won't mount it.. Like when you plug in a pen drive it gets detected that called mounting..

Whats wrong with no automouth.. Well there are quite a few things.. Like you set a wallpaper and restarted .. You wallpaper won't be there.. Since ubuntu doesn't mount partitions system won't be able to get the path to wallpaper.... Also ubuntu use dynamic mount points which makes difficult for you to remember the path of a particular partition..

Suppose you have partition A and B .. You install Ubuntu and open them by clicking it.. A gets mounted by /media/disk and B gets mounted by /media/disk-1 .. You rebooted and click it.. The mount point gets interchanged so its pretty difficult to remember..

Sure you can do that automounting in ubuntu but thats not advisable to newbie... Jumping directly into editing files and commands can make you feel bad.. There are other things to remember while starting Linux !

Ubuntu sure list partitions.. But it won't mount it.. Like when you plug in a pen drive it gets detected that called mounting..

wrong.it mounts the pendrive.nautilus(File Manager JFYI) opens the mount.same with a mobile phone mounted as data storage.

Uh...
Thanks a lot for your time and knowledge you have shared with me.
And you guys were so patiently answered my questions and claified my doubts.
I soon try them and share my experience with you.
:) Thanx

Ubuntu is a nice way to start. Since its the most popular, Lots of users, great community.

Once you are ok with Linux, say ubuntu, you start hopping to find that Ultimate OS which you were longing for... lol !!

a_k_s_h_a_y said:
Since Ubuntu the most popular, Lots of users, great community.

Yep, exactly. Perhaps, thats the reason now i am looking at LINUX distros...

a_k_s_h_a_y said:
Once you are ok with Linux, say ubuntu, you start hopping to find that Ultimate OS which you were longing for... lol !!

Let c what i am gonna say...:)

Now i got MANDRIVA. As i get suggested, i am gonna use in LIVE mode first.
Now downloaded file is zipped. I unzipped and it contains two pdf files which are starter guide. And three folders. How should i burn it to make bootable CD?
Or How should i burn it to make LIVE CD?
Please find the attachment for what are the files/folders are in that zipped file.

Attachments

• Mandriva.JPG
    Mandriva.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 99
^It shouldn't be zipped ,though archive manager tend open iso too so open it with NERO or similar. ,The extension must be iso .. Burn with NERO with speed as 24x or lower :)

ISO contains just 1MB. Boot contains 10MB and LOOPBACKS contains 595MB

If u have nt seen that attachment pls look at that. I am also attaching the contents of each folders. Please find the attachment

Now what i should burn??? Thank u for the quick response

Attachments

• Loop Backs.JPG
    Loop Backs.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Boot.JPG
    Boot.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 119
  • ISO LINUX.JPG
    ISO LINUX.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 93
Arrey why you are trying to burn the unzipped part.. Open that Zip with Nero.. FO pathetic Windows extension displayer :mad:

Open that ISO / ZIpp with Nero...

When it shows as zipped file, i unzipped and delete the zipped file.
Now i have only that unzipped folder.
Is this possible for me to again zip it and change the file extension to .iso, and burn it as u said.???

Finally i understood that windows doesnt show that ISO file properly. So i thought that its a RAR file and i unzipped and delete the file i downloaded.
Now windows wasted my 7 hours (downloading time)
So, i am downloading it again. Thank you guys and sorry (I guess some lost patience)

Finally i downloaded and successfully burned.
Now i need to know how to use it(Mandriva one 2009 GNOME) in LIVE mode.
As a test ride first i wanna use it in live mode. Later, i install which i prefer to.

I boot from the CD. I clicked license, then keyboard, language and time.
Then it started loading, loading, loading, loading i waited for around 5 minutes.

So i wanna ask u guys b4 trying for the 2nd time. Please write back soon

It was loading for a long time....
I waited for 5 minutes and restarted it. (removed cd from the drive)

Should i wait till it completes loading????

Back