Windows 11 announced

If it fulfils the minimum requirements, then it should turn up on Windows update after you opt for the Dev channel. Nothing to lose either way.
So I finally installed Windows 11 on my 2nd Gen Corei5 Dell N5110 laptop.

Dev Insider preview method didn't work as it needs a TPM. So I had to try UUPDump method which did work after a few trials since there was some issue with the usb or iso.

W11 is a bit janky on my laptop, animations are slow and it feels like I am back to hdd days. Installing updates atm, lets hope things improve a bit otherwise I'll shift back to W10.

Update: uninstalled W11. Its a junk atm. Will try few other OS like Elementary then Linux Mint and finally install W10 if I don't like previous two.

Last edited:
If it fulfils the minimum requirements, then it should turn up on Windows update after you opt for the Dev channel. Nothing to lose either way.

Meanwhile my old laser printer stopped working now on Windows 11. It did work fine when I first upgraded. Probably there was an update related to PrintNightmare that broke it but then the KB number for the update isn't listed on the list of installed updates, so quite an headache now. Also, got two green screens of death after I switched on Hyper-V. So, it is probably not that stable.
I finally got the printer working by manually starting the Print Workflow service which was not getting triggered. I am assuming this is due to the PrintNightmare fix that was included in the July 8 Win 11 cumulative update.

Haven't had any more GSODs since enabling Hyper-V, so seems okay for now. Don't have issues in day-to-day use at present and it feels faster on my laptop, so sticking with it. Will probably shift to the Beta channel though once it becomes available.

looks like win11 is the nail on the coffin for windows.
Guess MS doing it deliberately, as the OS business model is not profitable, and after Nadella became the CEO his focus is always on services side rather than product.

Surprise to see many tech youtuber channel are recommending to move to Linux, including linus tech tips.
few year back user might have to think moving to Linux but now, unless its special case there is no point using in windows post 2021.. gaming evolved much in Linux, googledocs/ms online are matured enough.
On the other side, Linux has became so much user friendly, there are few distros that even a non tech person can inslall and use.

Last edited:
While I have never used MacOS(so pardon my ignorance), if I am not mistaken, they have not changed the layout with their successive updates. Or even if they have, those will be minor so as to not to disrupt the entire UX.
I, honestly, don't understand the objective for an entire new UI. They could have gone more functional oriented, like ensuring their updates work without causing bsod, making it less demanding on resources and other issues. Then go ahead with visual upgrades. Or have something like 8.1 within 11 itself.

Last edited:
While I have never used MacOS(so pardon my ignorance), if I am not mistaken, they have not changed the layout with their successive updates. Or even if they have, those will be minor so as to not to disrupt the entire UX.
I, honestly, don't understand the objective for an entire new UI. They could have gone more functional oriented, like ensuring their updates work without causing bsod, making it less demanding on resources and other issues. Then go ahead with visual upgrades. Or have something like 8.1 within 11 itself.
LOL , the DESKTOP UI is adopted from UBUNTU FOCAL FOSSA, the desktop environment is quite useful and ergonomic for the users, even the progress bar /sorry progress pie is adopted from UBUNTU and it is really nice indicator than having a long progress bar.

looks like win11 is the nail on the coffin for windows.
Guess MS doing it deliberately, as the OS business model is not profitable, and after Nadella became the CEO his focus is always on services side rather than product.

Surprise to see many tech youtuber channel are recommending to move to Linux, including linus tech tips.
few year back user might have to think moving to Linux but now, unless its special case there is no point using in windows post 2021.. gaming evolved much in Linux, googledocs/ms online are matured enough.
On the other side, Linux has became so much user friendly, there are few distros that even a non tech person can inslall and use.
Adding to that, the Steam Deck is goign to be running a modified version (I think, correct me if I am wrong) of Arch Linux, SteamOS (3.0 to be exact), looks like Linux might take up a good chunk of the market. Only some games like Apex, Destiny 2 (ones that use BattleEye) don't run.

Adding to that, the Steam Deck is goign to be running a modified version (I think, correct me if I am wrong) of Arch Linux, SteamOS (3.0 to be exact), looks like Linux might take up a good chunk of the market. Only some games like Apex, Destiny 2 (ones that use BattleEye) don't run.
yes, you are right., its anti-cheats, which are not yet available on Linux yet, not developers fault.
I was watching some yt video sometime back they were trying to run anticheats in wine.
With steam machine/steam os valve stared to incline towards Linux. i guess that will only improve as time progresses.

---

back to context of Win11, looks like they are going in reverse when comes to privacy,
link 1 - https://betanews.com/2021/07/21/hivenightmare-security-vulnerability-windows-10-windows-11-registry/

Link 2 -

And the ones which don't run, Steam is looking to get them sorted out before the actual release of Steam Deck.

Honestly, if the compatibility works out well for Steam OS, Windows 11 indeed would be in danger, since vast majority of gamers will now have a good reason to go after linux.

Man lot of circlejerking going off in this thread. Windows 11 is fine, it has not changed in any way that would cause a market change. Windows is not going away unless it has multiple successive massive failures like windows 8 which windows 11 is nowhere close to. The only thing windows lost a bit of market share to is OSX because of apple making decent laptops over the last decade. Linux is still at a <3 % desktop usage and that is not gonna change with 11. People have been heralding the year of Linux since the dawn of time.

I would even argue windows has been making great improvements with the new design language, new terminal and WSL2, and bringing the xbox velocity architecture to windows.

Man lot of circlejerking going off in this thread. Windows 11 is fine, it has not changed in any way that would cause a market change. Windows is not going away unless it has multiple successive massive failures like windows 8 which windows 11 is nowhere close to. The only thing windows lost a bit of market share to is OSX because of apple making decent laptops over the last decade. Linux is still at a <3 % desktop usage and that is not gonna change with 11. People have been heralding the year of Linux since the dawn of time.

I would even argue windows has been making great improvements with the new design language, new terminal and WSL2, and bringing the xbox velocity architecture to windows.
I'm running windows 11 preview atm, and I do agree that it looks good. I use macOS just for Logic and FCPX (not for work, just hobby) and I can see elements of Windows moving towards more user friendliness.

And yes people have been heralding (and failing) and declaring Linux to be the Next Best OS. But the difference this time is Steam (one of the largest publisher of games) will now be focusing to "bring gaming to linux". Circlejerking aside, this is the main reason people are hyped for Steam OS. Will we be disappointed? Most likely yes lol

Just wanted to add that I disabled diagnostics after upgrading to the first Insider build and it still auto-updated to the latest build with Teams integration although Windows Update mentions that diagnostics need to be enabled to receive Insider builds.

Running windows 11 beta on my work laptop. There were a few app crashes and some things weren't working as they should have but reinstalling the apps and restarting windows seems to have fixed all the major issues.

Things I am loving:
  • Finally Bluetooth earphones can now support mic and a different audio channel at the same time.
  • For Work, WSL2 GUI update is a godsend. Required a new install of ubuntu but was worth it
  • The new windowing system is great.
  • The background shadow and the elevation on windows on top of each other is amazing.
  • I am digging the new start menu and the network and internet settings toolbar.

Holy crap this feature alone will convince me to switch to windows 11, unless this is not coming to windows 10 in the future as well.
It should, it was part of the windows 10 insider previews in April. Unless they decide to block all future upgrades to windows 10 and move to security only patches which I could also see happening.

There are limitations though the GUI isn't as fast as native windows apps think as if its running on a VM but when you need it in a pinch it works fine.

Back