Windows 8 Consumer Preview is out!

downloading it at 268kbps....
<

Installed and uninstalled.

Looks very good in the videos but eats memory and too laggy too. I guess metro UI is good for touch based laptops. Since Microsoft has a history of screwing up every new OS i will give this a pass.

Extremely awesome! Im still in awe of the whole experience! So ****inng CHIC!

Love the previews of the new apps, especially the messaging, mail, videos, music apps, people hub, skydrive!

The apps on the appstore are HEAVENLY! The Vimeo app makes me want to lick my screen all the time!
<

The new shortcuts, the right side app switching on hovering on the left bottom end. So very cool!

The charms bar, the new menu icon! So very sexy!

Ofcourse it has its glitches, but it is SO MUCH MORE BETTER than the Developer preview. I installed it the day it released and was using it till today. Believe me, this one is wayyy more well thought than the developer preview. I get goose bumps thinking about how it would look on a touch screen. Apple has been a** F**ked in its own game! The new immersive metro apps will be such rage!

Lastly, the amount of thinking behind each and every feature/change/gesture/animation is so very deep, it almost feels extremely natural !

Ofcourse there will be people b**ching about it, but having been there since windows xp, to vista, to longhorn(videos) to Windows 7. This is so much better than anything Microsoft has every done. If they price the tablets correctly, they have huge winner at their hands!

If you uninstalled thinking it sucks, well it has its glitches but use if for a few days and you'l start loving it!
<

The People app is incredible. It is a social networker's wet dream. Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, G+, Mails, IMs, etc. etc. all in one place. You can actually pin a live tile of people! Whenever they make an update - whether it be on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, G+, or they send you a mail or an IM - it keeps updating. You click on that person's live tile and it will give you a complete history of their social network. There are so many little things in Metro that are just so brilliant.

Imagine if a friend told you to that they would upload a pic on Facebook, and wanted you to e-mail it with your friends after making some modifications from your gmail account. This is what you would do now:

Open Browser > Browse to facebook.com > browse to the person's Facebook page/gallery > Keep hitting F5 till the pic shows up > Copy/save as > Open pic editing app > paste/open, modify > save as > back to browser > open gmail > compose new message > upload attachment > send.

This is what you would do in Windows 8:

Once the live tile updates open People > Share to pic editing app > Share send.

Just a little example.

Man I missed the consumer preview release yesterday (which is like last year in technology parlance) and am still to download it. From all your comments, it seems Win 8 is what chrome OS was supposed to be and much more. I just can't wait for this day to end and I can rush home and try it out. Any one has "inside" news on pricing? I hope its not more than $100 for an upgrade from 7.

Has anyone here found any issues with the Consumer Preview? I've installed it on Vmware & it looks pretty darn impressive to me... so much so i want to use it and upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to this consumer preview.

so far it working smoothly on a VM!

Not very good news! Lets hope its only on the ARM platform.

Windows 8 Has a Killswitch[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Microsoft's Windows 8 is reported to come with a "killswitch", which can by flipped by Microsoft to delete malware downloaded from its App Store by unsuspecting customers. Last year, Google's Android Marketplace was swarmed by malware disguised as popular applications from various other publishers. These applications were bought and downloaded by unsuspecting users. When word reached Google, it flipped a killswitch with Android that instantly removed these bogus applications across thousands of devices. It's not just Google, Apple too has a similar killswitch with which it keeps its App Store users safe from malware.

News of killswitches with Windows (in-turn the PC platform), isn't going in too well with advocates of privacy and free-speech, who fear that Microsoft's planted killswitch gives it unwarranted power to remotely erase applications and user data (connected to these applications), without the consent of the user. It could then be used as a potential censorship tool, or even an anti-competition tool, by synthetically-engineering market-shares of software used by people.

[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sources: [/font]Businessweek[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], [/font]VigilantCitizen

link :http://www.techpowerup.com/161583/Windows-8-Has-a-Killswitch.html

working great .... now windows experience rating is out of 9.9,....mine is only 5.9
<

its the time to get SSD

it include all the dirvers of my notebook and Desktop PC....no need to install additional drivers in test run
<

Might possibly upgrade after I am done with the Mass Effect 3 playthrough.

Any idea when the preview expires? I mean some sort of a last date? Quite sure Win. 7 had that.
<

hmmm... I dunno how ... but the ISO downloaded in 6mins flat @ 10mbs/sec
<
and i'm on a 512kbps connection
<

Happens on 5net man relax
<
.. if someone has already downloaded the file then we get that speed
<
. By someone I mean anyone in bombay using 5net
<
<
:D:D:D:D:D.

Might possibly upgrade after I am done with the Mass Effect 3 playthrough.

Any idea when the preview expires? I mean some sort of a last date? Quite sure Win. 7 had that.
<

THIS IS WHAT I CAN FIND

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Term. The term of this agreement will expire on 01/15/2013 (“the expiration dateâ€). You have no right to use the software after the expiration date. Starting from the expiration date, you may not be able to access any unsaved data used with the software. Any applications you receive through the Windows Store will also cease to be available to you in future versions, unless they are made available for re-download and you re-acquire them. You may not receive any other notice.

DID ANYONE FIND ANY PROBLEM WITH USING NETWORK/BROADBAND CONNECTION.?

I GET STRANGE ERROR......WILL POST DETAILS IN THE EVENING.

CREATE NEW CONNECTION AND IT CONNECTS TO INTERNET LIKE IN WIN 7 BUT ON RECONNECTING...IT SHOWS ERROR 619:THE USERNAME OR PASSWORD DOES NOT MATCH OR THE PROTOCOL IS NOT ALLOWED AT THE SERVER.

I AM USING CORRECT PASSWORD AND USERNAME SO,THE ONLY THING LEFT IS PROTOCOL SETTINGS .CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE CORRECT PROTOCOL SETTINGS FOR BSNL...I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM ASKING
<
PLZ HELP
<

help

Ok Guys i am not sure if anyone has used Windows 8 on dual monitors / even on Dual boot... so I thought I'd Share the screenshot (taken from Galaxy Note)

Once you install Windows 8 on a different Partition, This is how the new Boot Menu to Select any OS appears... You can use your mouse to select it... Now if you choose windows 8 it will continue booting... but if you choose windows 7 it will reboot & boot into windows 7 without giving any options.

20120303_191158.jpg

Got a 5.9 as its on a 2TB hdd & not on my SSD, the weird part here is that there are 2 taskbar. if you right click on the taskbar on your secondary display it will give you an option to use it as your primary task bar.

the secondary task bar doesn't show any notifications ( time, network etc) Also if you open an application it appears on both the taskbar's

20120303_185615.jpg

I am using the setting where the second taskbar will only show applications that's opened on that display, while the primary taskbar shows everything. Very useful that way.

Back