Windows 8 Consumer Preview is out!

checked out windows 8 today.. infact writing this post from it only.. the new start menu interface is nice and slick. although a complete rip off the apple OS. same goes for the app store. .same goes for the settings and preferences interface.. but even then its good.. I don't really care much if its copied. it should be good. .and there are a lot of flaws in the UI which I strongly feel should be corrected. .or maybe many options are just unavailable coz this is the preview version. real judgment can be passed once the retail version comes out..

In addition to thick apps, I have faced problems with many websites on multiple browsers on Win 8. Mostly with websites that have a form with a submit button. Anyone experience the same?

Anyone using Win8 on daily basis? Any major bug/issue?

btw, many new keyboard shortcuts are added in Win8. Here's the list

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robmar/archive/2012/03/09/windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts.aspx

they'll come handy once people get used to them.
<

I am on AMD 4850 and the official amd driver does not support it,,anyone using Win 8 CP 64 using amd 4850 gfx card and gaming

Using the same, not gaming yet though. I'm experiencing some graphic corruptions in Opera when scrolling web pages. Also since last week or so, PC is not going to S3 sleep.

Dunno what caused it, could be because I installed ATI catalyst (It doesn't install the display driver anyway) or APC powerchute, I think one among them is the culprit. Removed both but no luck, still PC not sleeping.

Has anyone seen a Backup Option in Windows 8? My Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 isn't working with it
<
& I really need a software to backup my drives.

Also has anyone tried Hyper-V which is built in Windows 8, specifically its Virtual SAN Manager.

I tried my hands on Developer preview x64 , when it was launched on my HP DM1 and Dell Inspiron.

Had to uninstall it mainly because of its Interface.....I mean its better suited for Dreamscreen/Tablets.

IMO , Experiencing windows 8 on Dreamscreen PC's and Tablets would be a good experience though.

Are you serious ?

Have you downloaded the right OS ?

dude.. i meant the whole concept of having the kind of interface they have, has been typically ripped off from apples ipad and iphone OS. all the slick moves, the throwing of program windows when you dont want them, throwing them to close them.. and the app store??? the top free, top paid, spotlight.. only the visual look of the store is different but the whole concept and the way it functions has been ripped off. and plus, only the apps that are downloaded from the app store can make use of the slick UI that is presented on the start page. rest all the apps function like on the normal windows 7.

the whole functioning, like the installing of apps going on in background instead of the traditional way so that the users normal usage doesnt get interrupted, where did all that come from?????

and you ask me if i downloaded the right OS????
<
<
... i very much downloaded the right OS, but this windows 8 is still very premature in what they have tried to achieve. lets see how much things change once the retail version is out.

the fools didnt even have enough sense that when they made such an interface where you want to just throw away to pan windows, kinetic panning concept, that the UI should give the users the liberty of being able to click anywhere on the screen and throw it away??/ instead of finding the scroll bar in the bottom to drag it??? this just shows how desperately microsoft is trying to copy apple and still failing. its like 2 kids giving an examination, and 1 kid over and above copying everything from the other kid didnt even have the sense of writing his own roll number instead of copying that off too!!!!!!!!!

all they have really done is just offered a customized interface for the start menu.. thats all. and offered the windows explorer like an app like apples finder.

and once you open the explorer, its just like the normal windows 7.. no other difference.. Microsoft should be giving this away as an update or patch for users having the retail version of windows 7. but they wont, because they just want to rip off the users.. .

even windows 7 should have been provided as just an update for users with retail versions of windows vista. theres not much difference in vista and 7 anyway except few internal settings and configuration.. but no, they launched it as a whole different operating system.. promising what not extra features and easy user interface when there really wasnt much difference in the both..

You know, when Bill Gates was the richest man in the world, at one point of time, he was asked "How did you become so rich".

He answered in one word and said, "Versions".

I respect windows, I respect it very much for the flexibility it provides. But, I hate their marketing policies to rip off users pockets by first unnecessarily launching a new OS, which basically is not a new OS but rather a customization of UI and a few other things, and then forcing users to switch to their new software by tying up with computer companies to stop giving support for older versions and sell products like laptops only with their new windows installed.

even windows 7 should have been provided as just an update for users with retail versions of windows vista. theres not much difference in vista and 7 anyway except few internal settings and configuration.. but no, they launched it as a whole different operating system.

Win7 is a way better Os than Vista, I skipped Vista because it was literally cr@p (Like I am going to skip win 8). You dont needd to buy 'versions' if you dont see value, Win7 sold a lot because it is a really good OS.

- Reg Win8, I'd prefer that OS on tablet over Android or iOS; its useless upgrade for my PC.

- App store is turning into a curse, you can see that with latest release of Mac OS. MS is doing the same, its not bad right now but it will be ugly later when you will only be able to install apps via windows store.

- If you hate Bill Gates (you mentioned him), I hope you dont like Steve Jobs. Both businessmen and the latter was not even a philanthropist, but lets skip that unproducttive disscussion.

- Rip off ? which business does not, having the chance. Thats what they teach you in MBA.

Win7 is a way better Os than Vista, I skipped Vista because it was literally cr@p (Like I am going to skip win 8). You dont needd to buy 'versions' if you dont see value, Win7 sold a lot because it is a really good OS.

- Reg Win8, I'd prefer that OS on tablet over Android or iOS; its useless upgrade for my PC.

- App store is turning into a curse, you can see that with latest release of Mac OS. MS is doing the same, its not bad right now but it will be ugly later when you will only be able to install apps via windows store.

- If you hate Bill Gates (you mentioned him), I hope you dont like Steve Jobs. Both businessmen and the latter was not even a philanthropist, but lets skip that unproducttive disscussion.

- Rip off ? which business does not, having the chance. Thats what they teach you in MBA.

Well said Sire!!!!! I am in total aggrement with your statement!

To others -> It really doesn't matter upto an extent , whether you like Bill gates or Steve jobs or even Torvalds Linus , what it matters to you most is their product.!!!

Regarding the OS on Tablets , I would prefer Windows 8 , against all the eye-candies in the market , even Android. No matter even if I have to burn a little bigger hole in my wallet!!!!

I always wonder , would people still have cursed MS , if Windows was an Open-Source OS !!!!!
<
:p - Just a simple funny Question.!!!!! Please give your opinions.

^^^ I am not a MS Windows FanBoy , but I don't hate it either!!.

Has anyone seen a Backup Option in Windows 8? My Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 isn't working with it
<
& I really need a software to backup my drives.

Also has anyone tried Hyper-V which is built in Windows 8, specifically its Virtual SAN Manager.

Backup in Windows 8 is renamed as Windows File Recovery with same functionality. Check this in control panel.

Hyper-V in Windows 8 is set of Hyper-V client tools to connect and manager Hyper-V server from a Windows 8 machine. By itself it won't be doing anything.

most of the functions are same as the previous versions but you got to know where to find it. Some features are mising and there should be apps in the net soon to compensate for them. Otherwse its fast, IE10 poses problems for me sometimes.

@humans

Hyper-v is not just tools... I was able to create VM's & run it. Its a full functional software as in Windows Server 2008 / R2

Not Sure about Windows File Recovery, as I have switched back to Windows 7. I tried a few backup software's & none of them worked.

Back