Windows 8 Consumer Preview is out!

Ok Guys i am not sure if anyone has used Windows 8 on dual monitors / even on Dual boot... so I thought I'd Share the screenshot (taken from Galaxy Note)

Once you install Windows 8 on a different Partition, This is how the new Boot Menu to Select any OS appears... You can use your mouse to select it... Now if you choose windows 8 it will continue booting... but if you choose windows 7 it will reboot & boot into windows 7 without giving any options.

20120303_191158.jpg

Got a 5.9 as its on a 2TB hdd & not on my SSD, the weird part here is that there are 2 taskbar. if you right click on the taskbar on your secondary display it will give you an option to use it as your primary task bar.

the secondary task bar doesn't show any notifications ( time, network etc) Also if you open an application it appears on both the taskbar's

20120303_185615.jpg

Actually, although have not tried with dual monitors, I do know that it is a feature of W8. Had read it somewhere. Something to do with productivity.

As for the dual boot, seen this in the DP.

Got dual booted with old XP.

But from the the bios screen till the Boot menu (OS selection window) - it takes lots of time.

Is it because of my older PC config (2.66GHz C2D, 2gigs DDR2 800, HD6450) ?

And how can I sign out from facebook chat (from the messenger app)?

I normally do not chat (I use msg/email/pm whenever necessary) and remain invisible in gmail.

But once I logged in Win8 with my facebook acc (forgot where I did...in peoples or messeging app) - now I am being 'Online' for chat all the time.

I downloaded, tested windows 8 and it looks good,but i hate it, its hard to use, its annoying, im sticking with windows 7​

[font=arial, sans-serif]
<
[/font]

all my downloads are getting inturrpted in Windows 8 , tried on IE Chrome and firefox , working fine in other mac , linux and windows 7,

Now upgrading my main system to Windows 8 CP. Looking at the videos and reviews, it's a lot faster which is a good thing. Though they should have made more enhancements for the desktop user, I dunno how the Metro UI and full screen metro apps are better in a big screen with keyboard and mouse.

Not much bothered about the start menu going away, once I've set up the PC for easy access to frequently used apps from taskbar, I find myself rarely using the start menu. Though would have liked as much info on the screen at all times, like the taskbar being visible always. Also I think there's no way to know what apps/windows are running in the background in a glance (without hovering the mouse to the top left corner) unless you switch to the classic desktop view, which again is a critical info that can be easily displayed without wasting much screen real estate when you're talking of 20 inch+ full HD displays.

is it ok if i dual boot with windows 7?? i mean it wont screw up the bootloader or anything right?? i just want to install for preview. later i will uninstall it in a few days.. after i uninstall it, i dont want problems like with dual booting linux and the grubloader..

basically my main query is, after i uninstall windows8, will i be able to normally boot again in my windows 7???

is it ok if i dual boot with windows 7?? i mean it wont screw up the bootloader or anything right?? i just want to install for preview. later i will uninstall it in a few days.. after i uninstall it, i dont want problems like with dual booting linux and the grubloader..

basically my main query is, after i uninstall windows8, will i be able to normally boot again in my windows 7???

If you are installing it in a differant partition and
dont use the Windows Loader
, then you are pretty much safe with W8 CP.

AFAIK, your boot loader will be over written by the Win8 one.

BTW, how do you 'uninstall' some OS from different partition? do you mean formating the partition?

I had XP dual booted with Mint. Installed Win8 in the Mint parition, and GRUB was overwritten by Win8 boot loader.

Also, even if you delete the boot loader, its only a few basic commands using your existing OS dvd to fix the problem. Google it. Something like "fix mbr" - I had done once for XP long time back.

Another option for trying out new OS is Virtual machine - try VMWare. Its kinda cool. Not sure about required specs though.

Now upgrading my main system to Windows 8 CP. Looking at the videos and reviews, it's a lot faster which is a good thing. Though they should have made more enhancements for the desktop user, I dunno how the Metro UI and full screen metro apps are better in a big screen with keyboard and mouse.

Not much bothered about the start menu going away, once I've set up the PC for easy access to frequently used apps from taskbar, I find myself rarely using the start menu. Though would have liked as much info on the screen at all times, like the taskbar being visible always. Also I think there's no way to know what apps/windows are running in the background in a glance (without hovering the mouse to the top left corner) unless you switch to the classic desktop view, which again is a critical info that can be easily displayed without wasting much screen real estate when you're talking of 20 inch+ full HD displays.

Good old Alt+Tab works as usual with Aero Peek for both Metro and Desktop apps. But yeah, I love the taskbar way too much, and it would be nice if there could be a auto-hide taskbar for Metro apps. It's not necessary though, it's just a pre-conceived notion I have to get over. My only use for Start Menu since Win 7 was to search (that's how I open apps) and the Start screen does search so much better. It's the same process - press Win key, start typing. I open Explorer rarely now as Win+F is a super fast way to get to your files. There are some quirks which I am sure will be sorted out by RC.

Ok so been using it for few hours now and quite impressed with the speed. Really like the metro UI but I wish there was a totally redesigned taskbar that goes along nicely with the metro UI that stays visible all the time, at least for high resolution screens. Also should have better window/app management in metro when there's a mouse connected, ability to have as many windows open on the screen and resize or tile windows as one wants, like in traditional desktop. Now there's only option of 2 apps at the same time and that too, no flexibility on the size of the window.

If they had implemented the above things and completely done away with the traditional desktop, that would have kept the UI experience uniform throughout the OS as more and more apps will be optimized to work in metro UI in future. Love the email app and the other apps in metro, really cool looking. Dunno why weather is not available for India though.

I meant, if you are using it, and you install 8, then your copy of windows 7 will become non genuine.

<
SHIT.. then what do i do.. i have already downloaded windows 8 preview.. i was planning to check it out after i got back home???plz tell me fast.. i dont wanna screw up my windows 7. i've got genuine windows 7 64 bit ultimate edition.

#puneetritehere that was for people who are using the pirated version of Windows 7, not for people with legitimate keys. Anyway, I would suggest to take an image back-up of your current OS (in an external HDD) and go ahead and install Windows 8 CP. In case you are bored or dislike the new OS, then you can simply revert to the saved image file and everything will be restored.

AFAIK, your boot loader will be over written by the Win8 one.

BTW, how do you 'uninstall' some OS from different partition? do you mean formating the partition?

I had XP dual booted with Mint. Installed Win8 in the Mint parition, and GRUB was overwritten by Win8 boot loader.

Also, even if you delete the boot loader, its only a few basic commands using your existing OS dvd to fix the problem. Google it. Something like "fix mbr" - I had done once for XP long time back.

Another option for trying out new OS is Virtual machine - try VMWare. Its kinda cool. Not sure about required specs though.

yeah.. basically just boot from the former OS, manually delete all the new OS files from the other partition, and remove the boot info from the bootloader so that i no longer get the options screen..

Trying it out on a Virtual Machine for the past few days, still don't like the new interface.

One of the most irritating thing was, I can't close an app without using alt+F4, why the hell did they remove the (x) close button.
<

There is a noticeable improvement in Install time and boot up, but why the heck can't they give an option to use it with the old desktop manager rather than that irritating metro UI.

Hmm .. So many contrasting options. I guess i will wait a month or two before i check it out. Will have better inputs by then.

Trying it out on a Virtual Machine for the past few days, still don't like the new interface.

One of the most irritating thing was, I can't close an app without using alt+F4, why the hell did they remove the (x) close button.
<

There is a noticeable improvement in Install time and boot up, but why the heck can't they give an option to use it with the old desktop manager rather than that irritating metro UI.

Firstly, you don't need to close apps. They are simply "suspended". If you must close an app, two broad moves - move your mouse to the top, drag the app right to the bottom and it will close. Simple and effective, no need for chrome to accommodate buttons.

It is very clear that we all have very pre-conceived notions about how a desktop interface should be. This is simply a new way of doing things and in most ways just better. When Windows 1 released people were like "what is this GUI nonsense, give us our command line!". It's the same all over again. I strongly suggest you put some effort into learning the new interface, this is the future. But don't do it now, wait for the final release.

Back