Windows 8 - Feedback thread

@honest1 dude, it seems that you have already done what I plan to do, and that is, you have already installed win 8 using the 699 offer and have win 7 on your machine as well, which makes your computer dual OS. So now my question is should I go ahead and buy the offer as well and make my machine dual OS as well? Did your partitions remain untouched? I hope there are no driver compatibility issues in win 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 laptops which have exactly same data in music and pictures . I have Wifi router and take one of the laptops to surf . I want to setup a sync that both folders have the same data in both laptops and changes are accordingly updated through the Wifi . How to setup sync in Win 8 ?

I have 2 laptops which have exactly same data in music and pictures . I have Wifi router and take one of the laptops to surf . I want to setup a sync that both folders have the same data in both laptops and changes are accordingly updated through the Wifi . How to setup sync in Win 8 ?
Solved my issue with MS sync toy . Also used cubby by logmein . Its a 5GB cloud + offline sync app , if any one wants an invite pm me . Its invitation based only

I really doubt the credibility of the reviewers online these days. Win8 is not bad at all and with convertibles on the way it only makes sense to have Metro UI along with real desktop.
Using Win8-Pro on a desktop and it feels good.

1. Enabled Local Login access and disabled sync up using microsoft account.
2. Disabled auto online updates of News/finance etc.
3. Enabled important shortcuts both on Metro and in desktop.

It feels normal.

I think the answer is "NO".
I really don't think the Windows 7 installation would be disabled. Nowhere during the purchase process did it ask for the Windows 7 Product key.
Now if you do a clean install with Windows 8 upgrade media, how can Microsoft figure out what was the linked Windows 7 product key?

The FAQ states you can choose to install the upgrade on any PC, not necessarily on the PC which had Windows 7, and nowhere it says you have to stop using the Windows 7 installation.
The upgrade offer is tied to a Windows 7 PC purchased between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013, but you can choose to redeem the offer and install the upgrade on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying base operating system.

Anyway I will go ahead with this experiment tonight, will update the results. :yes:

- - - Updated - - -

Why this is possible is because Microsoft lets you key in when you bought you PC, without checking whether or not it's true.
Personally, I don't think it's an oversight on Microsoft's part. It seems like such a stupid mistake that I'm of the opinion it's actually a well-planned social engineering project to get the geeks to upgrade. Because geeks will not upgrade to this version of Windows at full price without some kind of social engineering. If you give these geeks the idea that they have managed to take advantage of the system, they are more likely to bite. Well done, Microsoft.
Source : CNet
:p

I really don't think the Windows 7 installation would be disabled. Nowhere during the purchase process did it ask for the Windows 7 Product key.
Now if you do a clean install with Windows 8 upgrade media, how can Microsoft figure out what was the linked Windows 7 product key?

The FAQ states you can choose to install the upgrade on any PC, not necessarily on the PC which had Windows 7, and nowhere it says you have to stop using the Windows 7 installation.

Anyway I will go ahead with this experiment tonight, will update the results. :yes:

- - - Updated - - -

Source : CNet
:p
So you mean you will be installing win 8 using the upgrade offer on anoter partition while keeping win 7 in the other. Right. Check your pm.

I installed win 8 using the upgrade offer on another partition without disturbing my Windows 7 installation.
Things went quite well without any hiccups :D, have activated the media center feature also. Only issue was it was not able to install the proper driver for AMD Radeon HD 7730M adapter.
Other than that I am quite liking the few features, like the way notifications are shown when you have a new USB device attached etc..

Once I get accustomed to Win 8, planning to remove the win 7 install, as of now I don't like the Win 8 loader which shows the option of which OS to boot into. It takes some noticeable time to display the menu of choosing win 7 or 8 , and if you select win 7 it does another reboot (probably after setting some flag) . This should ideally been instantaneous.

So even if I don't own Windows 7 I can still get the upgrade and install it??
Technically yes
You still need to use Windows8-UpgradeAssistant to buy the upgrade offer, I think Windows8-UpgradeAssistant only runs on windows 7. Once you have the product key and the install media , you can go ahead and use it to install on any machine.

upgraded to windows 8 PRO 2 days back and all is well :) You do not need a valid windows 7 license to upgrade, I just ran the assistant, it gave me a windows 8 key, downloaded it, burnt it on a DVD for later and installed. I had issues upgrading from windows 7 to windows 8 keeping all my programs and settings etc so I had to do a clean install of Windows 8 and since then everything is fine. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it, it's a charm. The only issue is that it is very touch oriented and with a normal mouse it can be a bit frustrating to use, but since I have a Logitech touch mouse I can perform all the gestures on the mouse and it makes life allot easier. All the drivers are running fine, the games are fine so overall a good buy for 2000 bucks

Back