Windows Vista Build 5744 Discussion

faheem_m said:
Page Not Found

The content that you requested cannot be found or you do not have permission to view it.

If you believe you have reached this page in error, click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to report the issue and include this ID in your e-mail: c44e9c68-da9b-4530-9e8f-8a5d5c4341a3

this is the error when i am getting..at connect...maybe i will have towait for a week..till my bro from US .sends the pre RC 1 dvd..

The invitation code is sent using a mail from MS... But now the beta registrations are over loong back. Actually...it ended somewhere in Jan-Feb 2006. I have been testing the builds since then....
Actually...getting those DVDs is also illegal...since its part of the NDA that we cannot make copies of the iso's we download.... Also sharing the screenshots is prohibited, but I guess no one stops big guys like Paul Thurrot from doing it !!

Is It Illegal..even If U Work..for Ms..and U Get The Dvd..from Ms ??man Whats Wrong..if My Bro..sends..mr An Orginal..dvd From Microsoft..he Has Many Original Copies ?

QuickFire said:
yeah..vista will rock coz m$ will make sure it does. they'll make everyone upgrade to vista by the time they roll out sp1. :eek:hyeah:
vista is not what it was promised to be. its more of xp with glassy look and few advanced features. if u have the pc to support, u need to be on vista. yes, its a step or two ahead of vista but nothing revolutionary. as long m$ provide official support for xp, less ppl will upgrade to vista. once that stops, we all will be on vista.
of course, enthusiasts and pirates will be the first ones to jump into vista well. :p
MS has dropped so many imp features that makes us feel that its not very revolutionary....but actually, it is quite revolutionary. For first things, the security model (LUA, drivers and other kernel stuff) is a much-needed change for the Windows world... Unix/Linux and Mac had it for years...but its definately revolutionary for the windows world. Making all the GUI (desktop, windows etc.) based on DirectX is also a revolution for windows world, although most people would argue OSX already has Quartz which is very similar. The new kernel and driver model.......etc.etc......there are many revolutionary changes in Vista...and thats the reason it took sooo loong and required soo much money to make.
But I guess ppl dont see these changes as revolutionary.....and it includes windows fanboys....is because these features already existed somewhere, in some other OS. Also features there were once thought to be existant like WinFS (It was 30% excitement for me in Vista), and many more were removed...and this made Vista less revolutionary.... Mind you, vista still is an innovation by windows standards...
Actually....I once read an amazing blog, which said that OS's have become soo gigantic that its difficult for one company with 100 managers to manage. I dont remember that page, but it was an amazing write-up.

faheem_m said:
Is It Illegal..even If U Work..for Ms..and U Get The Dvd..from Ms ??man Whats Wrong..if My Bro..sends..mr An Orginal..dvd From Microsoft..he Has Many Original Copies ?
Yes, its still illegal...coz its not been released yet to every1. Only MS knows ppl who are using it (lets ignore pirates here....)... Whats the diff between an original DVD and a downloaded copy....if u arent authorized to use either?? If u worked for MS....and without the agreement installed on you own home PC...it would still count as illegal. Actually...MS has this policy that u cant take work to ur home...and thats what most software companies have as a policy.
But then yes....if ur bro was part of the beta managers and he was giving the DVD to you as a beta tester.....then it would b a gr8 thing...coz...u could get into the forums and discuss and improve with ur feedback.

sunbiz_3000 said:
MS has dropped so many imp features that makes us feel that its not very revolutionary....but actually, it is quite revolutionary. For first things, the security model (LUA, drivers and other kernel stuff) is a much-needed change for the Windows world... Unix/Linux and Mac had it for years...but its definately revolutionary for the windows world. Making all the GUI (desktop, windows etc.) based on DirectX is also a revolution for windows world, although most people would argue OSX already has Quartz which is very similar. The new kernel and driver model.......etc.etc......there are many revolutionary changes in Vista...and thats the reason it took sooo loong and required soo much money to make.

But I guess ppl dont see these changes as revolutionary.....and it includes windows fanboys....is because these features already existed somewhere, in some other OS. Also features there were once thought to be existant like WinFS (It was 30% excitement for me in Vista), and many more were removed...and this made Vista less revolutionary.... Mind you, vista still is an innovation by windows standards...

Actually....I once read an amazing blog, which said that OS's have become soo gigantic that its difficult for one company with 100 managers to manage. I dont remember that page, but it was an amazing write-up.

you said it all...the original planned feature set and longhorn code was almost entirely scraped b4 the launch of xp sp2. microsoft then got back to drawing board and started building vista over xp sp2.

i agree there are many exciting features for windows users to look forward to but being a windows supporter, i'd like windows to set the benchmark rather than following those set by others.

we all will still be looking upto vista hoping that it will turn out to be a major major upgrade over xp but i'm afraid its not. its just a more sleek and smarter looking version of xp. the only worthy improvements are security and graphix. not many ppl will be able to use vista with all eye candies turned on. u'll need a monster of a apc to achieve a 5 rating for vista. vista in its current form atleast can't justify the 6 year wait since the launch of xp.

PS: All my observations/comments are based on Beta 2 experience. I'll try out the RC1 when its out to public. Hoping for the best. :)

QuickFire said:
you said it all...the original planned feature set and longhorn code was almost entirely scraped b4 the launch of xp sp2. microsoft then got back to drawing board and started building vista over xp sp2.

i agree there are many exciting features for windows users to look forward to but being a windows supporter, i'd like windows to set the benchmark rather than following those set by others.

we all will still be looking upto vista hoping that it will turn out to be a major major upgrade over xp but i'm afraid its not. its just a more sleek and smarter looking version of xp. the only worthy improvements are security and graphix. not many ppl will be able to use vista with all eye candies turned on. u'll need a monster of a apc to achieve a 5 rating for vista. vista in its current form atleast can't justify the 6 year wait since the launch of xp.

PS: All my observations/comments are based on Beta 2 experience. I'll try out the RC1 when its out to public. Hoping for the best. :)

Nothing much has changed in terms of feature set and thats final....Nothing else will change...Only the performance and bug-fixing is being done now... So RC1 is going to be fast...and I mean a lot faster than the beta2 builds... In another post I have mentioned that Vista actually seems faster than XP now.

I found the writeup I was talking about earlier... Nice stats for how much effort it takes to make something as monsterous as Vista!! Read below -->

The World As Best As I Remember It

sunbiz_3000 said:

Yes, its still illegal...coz its not been released yet to every1. Only MS knows ppl who are using it (lets ignore pirates here....)... Whats the diff between an original DVD and a downloaded copy....if u arent authorized to use either?? If u worked for MS....and without the agreement installed on you own home PC...it would still count as illegal. Actually...MS has this policy that u cant take work to ur home...and thats what most software companies have as a policy.
But then yes....if ur bro was part of the beta managers and he was giving the DVD to you as a beta tester.....then it would b a gr8 thing...coz...u could get into the forums and discuss and improve with ur feedback.

yup my bro is a beta tester..and has been giving me the dvds..since last 1 year..when there was the first build..and hope he will provide..me with more...dvds...as he wants me to do..some testing..and provide..him with feedbacks..thats all and according to him it is legal...

wow....octave...u do read a lot of neowin, The Inq, dailytech, winsupersite... :hap2: always finding all the latest news and osting them right here.... What else RSS have u subscribed...or mayb I should just subscribe to OSS (Octave's Simple Syndication)... :rofl:

Just kidding mate....keep up the good work?? what else tech sites do u read??

Microsoft Inches Closer to Final Vista Release

Microsoft today released a new build of Windows Vista to beta testers. Build 5728 comes just three weeks after Microsoft released Vista RC1 (Build 5600) to testers. The download weighs in at 2,622.25 MB for the x86 build and 3,628.64 MB for the x64 build. Beta testers can grab Build 5728 from Microsoft Connect.

According to a blog post last month over at the Windows Vista Team Blog, the 57xx builds are reserved for Release-to-Manufacturing (RTM).

So while things are going swimmingly for Microsoft’s US release of Window Vista, the company still has some issues to resolve in Europe. The European Union is breathing down Microsoft’s neck while Adobe and Symantec aren’t too far behind.
Dailytech

Wow thanks for the news.

I was just about to download 5600.

vista_5728.16387.060917-1430_x86fre_client-LRMCFRE_EN_DVD.iso

Just minutes ago, Microsoft released yet another refresh of Windows Vista to its beta testers via Microsoft Connect.

Buid 5728 is available for x86, which is about 2,622MB (2.6GB) and x64 which is just over 3,620MB (3.2GB). The download is available in English, German and Japanese.

Microsoft on Friday made available the first post-RC1 build of Windows Vista to technical beta testers, which is numbered 5728. The interim update includes a number of bug fixes and interface polishing, but is most notable because the 5700 range has been allocated for the final Vista build, indicating RTM could arrive as scheduled next month.

xxxxxxxxx team has set aside a specific range of build numbers to incrementally build toward Windows Vista's Release Candidate 1 (RC1) milestone; in this case, build numbers ranging from 5400 through 5699. Likewise, numbers beginning with 57XX have been set aside for the RTM (Release-to-Manufacturing)

kcab said:
Vista 5600 already installed.

Downloading 5728 now:eek:hyeah:
Does anybody want MS vista 5728 official link?
plz pm me the link.
thanks.
and is build 5728 the official RTM one ??

Back