Windows Vista Build 5744 Discussion

faheem_m said:
is it better then 5600 RC1 ...should i consider downloading it as it will take 10 days for me ???

Its not worth the 10 day BW..
@others- you dont need any other key.. the vista beta key works fine for it.

A few changes in build 5728 compared to RC1
* Microsoft is allowing users to mute the Vista startup sound, after all. Testers complained about Microsoft’s decision to hard-code the sound into Release Candidate (RC) 1. Microsoft listened and bowed to tester feedback.

* With Build 5728, Microsoft has included some new Vista nature wallpapers, and more new Vista-specific icons.

* Testers with Toshiba models M400, M4 and M5 need to do a clean install (not upgrade) of Vista 5728.

Source

So its not worth a ten day dload faheem.

Build 5728 didn't want to work and after a few hours of upgrading from my existing RC1 build 5600 I just kept seeing the good old BSOD - Blue Screen of Death.

The Vole advised us to uninstall this build so we did. And eventually we managed to boot our Vista RC1 5600 without any issues.

To summarise the latest build, build 5728 didn’t work. If you still want to burn some time and DVDs, be my guest and do it. And, if you don’t mind, please drop me a line and let me know what was your experience with it. If you don’t want to experiment and want a working Vista, I advise you to get the Vista RC1 5600.

Update While many readers have confirmed the problems with the upgrade, many have also written to say the installation works just fine

Source : Latest Vista RC1, build 5728, won't work

thexfactor said:
Latest Vista RC1, build 5728, won't work

It is working fine for me.... stunning desktop, Though hardly any of my old softwares runs on it. The 2.6 GB file took me 28 hours to download :O

It installed without a single hiccup and I have already reinstalled it 4 times on same HDD. I even tried to make an backup image of the installation and restored the image to another HDD (from a SATA to a PATA HDD) and Vista caught the change in hardware and asked for the DVD for a repair of some files and it was working fine after that on the PATA HDD.

yup that article states that any attempt to upgrade from

build 5600 to build 5728 will fail.

a clean install will have no such probs.

Renegade said:
fresh install works like a charm.. no idea about upgrade

YUP I did a fresh install too. Cannot get my hardware drivers to install :(

This will interest you people - here is a screenie of how much space a fresh install occupies.... in this partition there is nothing else installed besides Vista itself .... the first line on top indicates the partition size and the amount of free space.

Vista.jpg

any1 tried to update from Beta2 ?

Am dwnloading Build 5728 rite now..

Was thinkin of updating my current Beta2 installation..

If issues.. will just format and clean install !!

rajshah said:
any1 tried to update from Beta2 ?
Am dwnloading Build 5728 rite now..
Was thinkin of updating my current Beta2 installation..
If issues.. will just format and clean install !!
the upgrade process takes about 1.5hrs . there are some issues upgrading with crashes and BSOD's all the way,better to do a clean installation which is faster and better :).
kcab even though the build numbers 57xx onwards are assigned for RTM this version is termed as a RC1 update by microsoft.

MS already has the first builds for the 5700 with them... So its started looking at the RTM. They have to finish the builds in a short time. They need to give the completed & released DVDs for Vista to the big OEMs by November end.

Microsoft will release just one more build of Windows Vista for testing before the code goes gold, said Brad Goldberg, the general manager for the Windows client business group. That build will be made available to a limited group of between 50,000 and 100,000 testers in October, and follows the interim Vista build that Microsoft released on Sept. 22.

Goldberg declined to say if this final test build would be known as Release Candidate 2, adding that the company is focused, from an engineering perspective, on targeting the group of testers from whom it most wants one last set of feedback.

Goldberg, who was on a cross-country tour in late September designed to get the message out about the business value and benefits that Vista brings, also said Vista is on track for availability to businesses via volume licensing in November, with broad general availability to consumers set for January 2007.

Just One More Release Before Windows Vista Goes Gold

Windows Vista Update: RC1/5728 Preview

Anandtech

Conclusion

While we'll hold back on any final opinions on Vista until we have a shipping version, at this point it's becoming increasingly unlikely we'll see any more significant changes between now and when Vista is finished next month. So what we say now we'll likely be saying again.

At this point most of Vista is perfectly fine. Everything works, all functionality is enabled, and driver support is looking good. If anyone had to pick up Vista and use it today, they would be able to do so once they got over the initial shock of just how different it is compared to XP. For doing so, they would be rewarded with a lot of new functionality that XP can't offer, though other operating systems like Mac OS X have offered many of the features for years now.

As the saying goes, it's the little things that matter. Vista isn't perfect - no operating system is - and while we could pick apart things we still don't like about XP 5 years later, Vista's problems are more pressing. Some of the things that Vista does are flat-out quirky and make little sense, and User Account Controls are still going to come across as combative to enthusiasts and other similar user groups. General users will be fine, but as is often the case general users end up adopting some enthusiast practices, and if that includes disarming parts of UAC, it will significantly undermine the security gains of Vista.

Where performance ends up is also a concern. Our general performance numbers are a mixed bag compared to XP, which turns out is a good thing since it would imply that overall Vista is no slower than XP for performance-critical applications. Memory and disk space usage are up, and that's an inevitability of progress, but most recent machines should be no worse off with Vista than XP as far as general usage goes if our numbers reflect the larger whole. This is something we'll investigate much more in depth once we have the final version of Vista.

Unfortunately, gaming performance is still lagging behind, heavily at times, and this is troubling. Gamers will no doubt stay away from Vista if the final version and final video drivers continue to underperform, but there's also the larger issue of how computers are becoming increasingly reliant on the GPU for general tasks, something Microsoft itself is pushing with the new video threading systems for Vista and forthcoming DirectX 10-class video hardware. A large video performance gap could or could not be a problem for non-gamers moving to Vista, but it's too early to tell.

So where does that leave us then? If Microsoft continues to stay on schedule, they will have a shipping version of Vista ready within a month, though retail consumers will be waiting until 2007 to get their hands on it. Whether it will really be ready to replace XP at that time remains up in the air. Early adopters will likely bite the bullet, but many people will probably prefer waiting for the inevitable Service Pack.

guys..
could any of u send me a DVD for the RC1??
i dont have a fast enough connection to d'load 2.6 GB...
wud be great if any of u cud..

Back