Windows Vista Build 5744 Discussion

Theinquirer

First INQpressions Vista build 5744, RC2
So what has changed over RC1 and earlier builds?

Firstly, the image size is reduced by a fraction to 3.69GB – not a great change, but still smaller than the 3.76GB of RC1 and the 4.4GB of Beta 2. Installation is quite straightforward as well and has been tidied up and is better presented than earlier builds. It’s clear Microsoft is heading for the finishing line with this build.

While we’re on the subject of installation, this build took about five minutes longer than RC1 did to install, but still finished in around 25 minutes, about half the time it took me to install XP on this same machine the last time I had to.

As with RC1, once installed, the Windows Experience Indexer was run and I was treated to some graphics showing the advantages of Vista, and then we were into the system proper, which automatically connected to Windows Update and installed drivers for my sound card and the latest updates for the built-in anti-spyware software, Windows Defender. Nice touch.

So how does it perform?

Overall, the system is even more responsive than RC1. Graphical windows are smooth and snappy and have even lost the slight ‘lag’ associated with earlier builds. Networking was a breeze and I only had to click once to tell the system that I was using a home network and off it went and configured everything automatically.

Other improvements include the built-in unzip utility, which seemed to cause OS stutters in RC1 but works just fine now. User Account Control, the new security feature included with Vista has also been tweaked somewhat. A pet hate of mine from the early days, this seemed less intrusive than on earlier versions. Upon using the system for most of the day I realised that I either got a download warning, or a UAC popup – but not both as we experienced with RC1. Ultimately, I still think UAC will be a big turn off for users and become self-defeating, as most people will probably still be too annoyed by the popups it generates and opt to turn it off altogether.

One nice surprise in this build is that memory usage has been reduced significantly. Earlier builds used 55-65% of system memory just for the OS with no other software loaded. RC2 brought my memory usage down to 46% of the 1GB installed, hinting that even more of the code has now been compiled and in final form. I still think this is a little on the high side, but have hopes that the memory footprint will have been reduced even further once the final build is released.

As with earlier interim builds, the new Vista sound scheme has been omitted, although there is a new, two-note sound which plays just before the familiar XP shutdown music. Microsoft has said that the startup music will not be able to be turned off in Vista, and sure enough the control panel options allow you to change the sounds for everything else except that, although there is the option to turn off sounds altogether, at least for the time being.

Drivers are still required to be signed before the OS will allow you to install them, although there is an option in the advanced boot menu to override this should you be brave enough to risk it.

64-bit drivers are still a cause for concern. My printer – not the latest model (in fact, Epson EOL’d it a long time ago) didn’t install automatically and I had to search for a driver from Epson. Luckily, the driver for XP x64 edition worked fine with earlier builds and worked again with RC2. Not so luckily, my tv card didn’t install at all. I really think hardware vendors should get up to speed with releasing 64-bit device drivers, although the lack of 64-bit hardware support is more likely to impact the professional and enthusiast communities who will specifically want to run the x64 edition of Vista, not least of all because of the greater memory addressing it provides. µ

upgraded my system from RC1 to RC2 without any probs.

it took me around 1 hour. for the complete procedure.

everything seems to be fine and working and RC2 is a bit more responsive.

you can even change the color of titlebar.

i've changed it from default black to frost. :eek:hyeah:

QuickFire said:
upgraded my system from RC1 to RC2 without any probs.

I tried a lot to do an upgrade from RC1 to RC2 but the option was always greyed out. I tried upgrading after booting off the DVD and also from within RC1 ..... am I missing something :( ... I have now done a fresh install of RC2.

This is what I did...

1. Installed Deamon Tools on Vista RC1 and mounted the RC2 ISO on a vistual drive. Saved me the time for burning and the cost of a DVD. :eek:hyeah:

2. The DVD auto-ran and i was able to enter the serial code for RC2.

3. It asked me for my internet connection so that it can download any missing updates before proceeding.

4. My net was on...so that wasn't a problem. It provided me an option to upgrade. I clicked on it and everything after that was automatic.

QuickFire said:
This is what I did...
1. Installed Deamon Tools on Vista RC1 and mounted the RC2 ISO on a vistual drive. Saved me the time for burning and the cost of a DVD. :eek:hyeah:
2. The DVD auto-ran and i was able to enter the serial code for RC2.
3. It asked me for my internet connection so that it can download any missing updates before proceeding.
4. My net was on...so that wasn't a problem. It provided me an option to upgrade. I clicked on it and everything after that was automatic.

I have this thing about "the DEMON tools" - never run it as I have seen a lot of posts from people who ran into a lot of problems with this tool.

I had LOTS and LOTS of problems with getting my Hathway BB Internet conx set up in RC2 .....I just could not find the place to enter all the details of my connection .... it was something that made me tear my hair out. I felt like a nOOb installing Windows for the first time ... I just kept cursing Vista :mad:

Finally after a lot of searching I found the answer to setting up Internet from RC2 .... here it is....

control panel
network and sharing
manage network connection
nVidia nForce Networking
right click - properties
only "Client for MS" and "TCP/IPv4" ticked
and last - enter all the details.

Eazy said:
I had LOTS and LOTS of problems with getting my Hathway BB Internet conx set up in RC2 .....I just could not find the place to enter all the details of my connection .... it was something that made me tear my hair out. I felt like a nOOb installing Windows for the first time ... I just kept cursing Vista :mad:

Finally after a lot of searching I found the answer to setting up Internet from RC2 .... here it is....

control panel
network and sharing
manage network connection
nVidia nForce Networking
right click - properties
only "Client for MS" and "TCP/IPv4" ticked
and last - enter all the details.

You just have to:

right click - properties on Network
click view status
click properties
click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
click properties
and last - enter all the details

Udit said:
You just have to:

right click - properties on Network
click view status
click properties
click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
click properties
and last - enter all the details

Your route and mine end up on same page :)

I dont understand why MS has made this simple feature in XP into such a complicated procedure in Vista :mad:

I am not very good at figuring these procedures out and it takes me a long while when the procedure is not intuitive - like this STOOPID Internet setup. I hope they simplify these things in the Final release.

^^ Ha, So far, I haven't seen a single thing on Vista that would prompt me for an upgrade...

Seriously, except for the stupid eye candy effects (which anyway look a cheap copy of Panther) that may catch the fancy of some folks , I haven't seen anything else that would prompt a regular or even a g33k user to upgrade

which is kinda sad..I was hoping Vista would be a big notch up...but so far, Vista seems like a repeat of Win98 to ME transition, a pointless one

:(

superczar said:
^^ Ha, So far, I haven't seen a single thing on Vista that would prompt me for an upgrade...

Seriously, except for the stupid eye candy effects (which anyway look a cheap copy of Panther) that may catch the fancy of some folks , I haven't seen anything else that would prompt a regular or even a g33k user to upgrade

which is kinda sad..I was hoping Vista would be a big notch up...but so far, Vista seems like a repeat of Win98 to ME transition, a pointless one

wow.... how much of Vista have u used ?? If features that have a graphical interface counts for u...then mayb u have ur point... But then there are many under the hood features (hope patchgaurd remains in Vista x64)....that make Vista a very nice upgrade!!

superczar said:

every gamer will be forced to upgrade to Vista due to DX10

MS has used a excellent strategy by not releasing DX10 for XP

so everyone who will buy a DX10 GPU will have to get Vista too

I know Vista is a copy of OS X Panther/Tiger + Linux but its good as OS X Panther/Tiger & Linux dont support DX Games

XP wasn't usable until sp1a & then sp2 really refined it to be a steady replacement to win2k.

Its with all OS's, newer versions of Linux distros get same treatment/reviews from power users.

The current Vista is a lil scary, yes thats the word i can use for it for the moment. It needs a linux equivalent configuration to setup a PC as normal Home user which is gonna be different for noobs & hence Criticism. But remember its M$, it will do what people want & ease of use & compatibility freindliness is the Key ingredient of windows which can never be overlooked by them. So it may need sometime to cook but its gonna be a nice meal in 6-8 months. I am a linux professional but I duely love & use windows.

Guys

i have an evesham PC with an NForce 4 motherboard and an AMD athlon 4400 processor with 2Gb RAM.

i have loaded RC2 (5744) onto the machine and like others i am losing the network connection after x amount of minutes. having tried numerous installs and drivers i am at the point where i will be re installing XP.

before i do, i read with interest your postings on the network connections properties etc, does anyone know if this is a fix for the problem of a dropped network connection??

thanks in advance

Kerry

Dailytech
Windows Vista: Antivirus Optional

Vista's new Parental ControlsMicrosoft's Jim Allchin touts Vista new security features

Allchin cited two new security components that give parents great control over what their children can and cannot do on the operating system and allow Vista to be incredibly secure. The first component is Parental Controls which allows parents to monitor and manage their child's computer privileges. These include:

Web Restrictions to limit access to what sites your child can visit and download content from.

Time Limits to control how long your child can use the computer (can be limited to specific days of the week, specific hours of the day as well).

Games can be blocked or given access to based on ESRB ratings and game content.

Block Specific Programs that your child should not have access to.

Activity Reports to give you a listing of what sites your child has visited during their session, the number of emails they've received, who they're instant messaging and more.

The new Activity Reports may raise a few eyebrows when it comes to privacy, but it will be interesting to see how well the new features are received.

The second component that Allchin described is Address Space [Layout] Randomization (ASLR). This feature intuitively renders system kernel object code in memory to ward off malicious attacks. Here's Microsoft security Guru Michael Howard on ASLR:

So what is ASLR? In short, when you boot a Windows Vista Beta 2 computer, we load system code into different locations in memory. This helps defeat a well-understood attack called "return-to-libc", where exploit code attempts to call a system function, such as the socket() function in wsock32.dll to open a socket, or LoadLibrary in kernel32.dll to load wsock32.dll in the first place. The job of ASLR is to move these function entry points around in memory so they are in unpredictable locations. In the case of Windows Vista Beta 2, a DLL or EXE could be loaded into any of 256 locations, which means an attacker has a 1/256 chance of getting the address right. In short, this makes it harder for exploits to work correctly.

Allchin went on to say that he is happy with the current security level of Vista even though he knows that hackers are constantly looking for new exploits to take advantage of. "Windows Vista is something that will have issues in security, because the bar is being raised over time. But in my opinion, it is the most secure system that's available, and it's certainly the most secure system that we've shipped," said Allchin.

Outgoing Microsoft co-president Jim Allchin posted a blog entry Friday apologizing for the confusion surrounding comments he made to reporters Wednesday about being so confident in Windows Vista's security that his seven-year-old son's PC had no antivirus software installed. As first reported by BetaNews, the remarks came in response to a question about his relative level of confidence that Vista would be more secure than Windows XP SP2. Allchin replied by explaining that Vista includes key security features that could not be added to XP, using his son as an example. "My son, seven years old, runs Windows Vista, and, honestly, he doesn't have an antivirus system on his machine. His machine is locked down with parental controls, he can't download things unless it's to the places that I've said that he could do, and I'm feeling totally confident about that," Allchin said. "That is quite a statement. I couldn't say that in Windows XP SP2."

The executive -- who was in charge of the operating system's development -- specifically cited two new security features in Vista that have changed his thinking: new parental controls, and Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), which renders the object code of the system kernel in memory differently each time to thwart the designs of malicious code. It wasn't long until a number of bloggers and analysts questioned the remarks, citing a 2001 quote in which Allchin claimed Windows XP would be devoid of potential buffer overflows - something that was proven not to be the case. Some pundits even accused Allchin of taking a swing at antivirus makers such as Symantec and McAfee, which have been hugely critical of Vista's new PatchGuard feature. "Ok, Vista is a vastly improved security model, but what about the fact that probably well over 90% of all viruses come through email?" asked Sunbelt Software CEO Alex Eckelberry. "You get an email that says 'Please reset your password, open the attached file', you open it and it’s a virus. It’s the user executing a virus. How will Vista protect against that? Furthermore, what about downloading a trojan?"

Allchin acknowledged Friday that he wasn't as clear as he intended to be, saying he never meant to imply that Windows Vista does not need antivirus software, despite citing the example of his son's PC. "It’s important for me that our customers are using the appropriate security solutions for the right situations, whether that’s security functionality integrated in the operating systems, or add-on products," he said. In the Wednesday call, Allchin did note that computer security was constantly evolving, and a solution today would not necessarily be a solution tomorrow. "Please don't misunderstand me: This is an escalating situation. The hackers are getting smarter, there's more at stake, and so there's just no way for us to say that some perfection has been achieved," he told reporters. "The point I had been trying to make (albeit unclearly) is that Windows Vista includes new security features that can dramatically help improve our customers’ security for certain situations," Allchin explained Friday, adding, "My point in bringing up this extreme example was really meant to emphasize that importance of defense-in-depth measures we put in Windows Vista -- both the number of defenses and their combined effectiveness."

While not denying that he believed his son's computer does not need antivirus software due to its seutp, Allchin did admit that "most users will use some form of antivirus software, and that will be appropriate for their scenarios." He said the Windows Security Center even encourages the use of antivirus software. "We’re continuing to make the best operating system we can, and I’m very proud of it. I think we’ve made some great changes in Windows Vista on the security front, and I know our customers will benefit," Allchin concluded.

BetaNews | Allchin Backs Off Antivirus Remarks

yeah.. i understood it late, cos i am dum.. and yes, i just fingered out i have asked n have been answered for the same question before.. (in RC2 thread) ages ago.. ......:tongue:

Back