Windows Vista To Power Up Indian Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Center for Railway Information Systems, the umbrella organization for all computer activities on Indian Railways, along with Microsoft, has come out with a unique system for effectively monitoring the movement of trains operated by the Indian Railways. Built on Windows Vista, the Control Office application, will ensure that the 17 million passengers who travel by the Indian Railways every day and users of its freight services will get real time information on the exact location and arrival and departure times of all trains on their phones.

Source

^ How long have you used Vista? Cause in the 11 months that I've used it extensively, it has yet to crash.

I've been using vista from before January 31 last year and no OS related crashes yet.

I like Vista better than XP.

Anish said:
^ How long have you used Vista? Cause in the 11 months that I've used it extensively, it has yet to crash.

+1 Vista is the most stable o/s. I just dont feel like going back to xp after using vista for over one year now. XP is like windows 98 now.

@greenhorn
If u have used Vista then u'll definitely agree that vista is more robust than XP

Anywayz as for the topic, its really strange as to how railways will be using vista in their servers which in my guess wont be able to handle it !

ashu_dps said:
@greenhorn
If u have used Vista then u'll definitely agree that vista is more robust than XP
I wouldn't go as far as saying that, but I have not faced any issues with Vista running on both my notebooks.

Sorry double post...

@Rio

Why not so far ? If i have a hung operation in XP, it brings the whole system to halt. The system stops responding while in vista its so easy to end any such application.Vista doesnt gets affected by many such common viruses which were such a mess for XP users. These are reason enough for me, as a normal user with capable machine to switch over to vista from XP rather than crib about the system requirements like many people do. Even u r using it and i guess u r satisfied with it. Thats the point i want to make in aaddition to the advantage which i experienced in vista over XP :)

Should have gone the open source way. MS must have paid lalu or someone else lots of money for this.

The application, developed with an investment of Rs 83 crore,

they are spending so much just on software.

wonder what the hardware costs be like.

I am interested in knowing the overall deployment costs.

i hope this project get completed not much like other Railway project

ashu_dps said:
Sorry double post...

@Rio

Why not so far ? If i have a hung operation in XP, it brings the whole system to halt. The system stops responding while in vista its so easy to end any such application.Vista doesnt gets affected by many such common viruses which were such a mess for XP users. These are reason enough for me, as a normal user with capable machine to switch over to vista from XP rather than crib about the system requirements like many people do. Even u r using it and i guess u r satisfied with it. Thats the point i want to make in aaddition to the advantage which i experienced in vista over XP :)

..because Vista is not any more or less stable than XP. I have had no major issues with either OS, but I have had minor problems crop up with both. It's a little exaggerated when someone claims Vista is more robust than XP.

I have been using Vista from the past 8 months and I am yet to face a crash. Stability wise its much better then XP. XP used to hang alot compared to vista. Overall , Vista is anyday better then XP.

Anywayz as for the topic, its really strange as to how railways will be using vista in their servers which in my guess wont be able to handle it

Why do you think the railway hardware is not gonna get an upgrade ?

congrats railways.perfect sync BSOD and a train accident :p ..both BSNL and IR are against GNU/Linux adoptation although many of them knows the superiority(stability too) of the FOSS GNU/Linux ! bad!

reason: most of them are sticked to window$ platform . :p

Haven't used vista for a prolonged time, so can't really comment on it. But yea, the railways should have gone the open source way. Would have been a big boost to the oss community in India.

Lets just hope they don't go cheap on the hardware/network part.

it is a shame ,that public owned services like railways etc gone for closed source ,proprietary solutions. do you know how many millions these M$haft and other closed s/w providers gonna charge Indian railway? sarkar ka paisa = our money -think!

I think it is because of strong lobbying from companies like m$ which is the reason. BSNL DONT want to move away from window$. WTH! .similarly few banks too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back