Windows Vista To Power Up Indian Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are u guys nuts?? Did you guys even think of the results if they went with opensource??

Next time their server crashes, where wil they get the support from??
So the announcer at the station wil say
"Train x is late..Our linux server has crashed, we hav posted the problem in the ubuntu forum, if some sleepyhead geek replies we may be able to restore the services..."

Use your brains, any software can crash, where lives of thousands of people are concerned, money is not the criteria,immediate support, reliablity and answerablity matter...

Dont just start the linux anthem where ever you see the windows name mentioned...

Im no linux hater, but ppl must not get soo desperate, as to flame just about any MS related thread..Atleast in TE i hope people will exercise better judgement..

Party Monger said:
"Train x is late..Our linux server has crashed, we hav posted the problem in the ubuntu forum, if some sleepyhead geek replies we may be able to restore the services..."

:rofl: i guess u have no idea about Open source software ....

Commercial support is the major industry in open source......

Do you really think forums solving problems carters to corporate clients u are sadly ignorant and you don't even know about it....:bleh:

Party Monger said:
Are u guys nuts?? Did you guys even think of the results if they went with opensource??

Use your brains, any software can crash, where lives of thousands of people are concerned, money is not the criteria,immediate support, reliablity and answerablity matter...

Dont just start the linux anthem where ever you see the windows name mentioned...

Im no linux hater, but ppl must not get soo desperate, as to flame just about any MS related thread..Atleast in TE i hope people will exercise better judgement..

LOL! Yea major banking/finance corporations which run mission critical applications on their linux servers post on the forums for support. Please don't make sweeping statements without a spec of idea about what you are posting. Red hat doesn't make money by selling linux. Its support that costs and it is available widely. And yea, it will turn out cheaper than running vista.

And yea, i do HOPE people will exercise better judgment from now on.

There are enough smart people and IT firms in the nation that can be used to handle any kind of tech support.....it is open source after all .

we are handling a major chunk of the tech support industry anyway. That way, the money will stay in the nation Instead of adding to our $20.5 billion Trade deficit.

Using MS windows is a complete waste of resources by the government and a voice must be raised.

How about a petition from members at TE to the government to reconsider the decision ? After all TE is the premier tech forum in India and maybe it is time we took a bit of social responsibility .

Party Monger said:

Rofll .. Linux crash :rofl: you must have gone nuts. like Lalu has ..Vista to Mantriya ka idea hoga.. Jaise pagal khud hai waise logo ko kar dega :rofl: Vista in Railways :lol:

man Indian railway gonna achieve another milestone for pathetic allround development./

As far as results are concerned. its quite clear. Pure stability and low on pocket.. I still bang my head when my friends comes with their HDD to clean Virus :p Search and Destroy thank to Linux.. :rofl:

greenhorn said:
I meant when it does crash :p

neither of the XP/Vista systems I've used at work crash, so no contest :D

+1 to that, I have used XP(EeePC and main rig) and Vista(main rig) at home. Although I prefer Vista to XP, stability and security have been non-issues for me. the only issue is regarding certain software like reva tuner, but I like to keep driver signing and UAC on.

Party Monger said:

Buddy you have no idea what we are talking about.

the following benefits of using Linux

1) Security - Linux will keep your working environment safe from malware, spyware, and viruses…simply because it isn’t Windows.

2) Access to Source: while this does not matter for End users, but it important for big enterprises. as once they opt for a closed source solution they are vendor locked. having access to source allows them to change vendors. which brings competition and we know competition drives innovation which is good for everyone

3) Price - Linux is the most cost efficient OS in the world. Why? Because it’s free…and not only is it free, it also (typically) comes with applications that would cost

hundreds, if not thousands of dollars if you were purchasing their Windows counterparts. Railway paid Rs.86Crore for just application part to Microsoft

4) Support: When enterprise get mature, they can employ their own engineers further reducing support costs.

5) National Interest: Imagine US imposing sanctions on INDIA(can be possible in future, if not now). can MS being a US based company can virtually throw Indian railway out of gear. imagine our own railway system being at the mercy of a single US company. off course this isn't happening, but still there is a constant thread.

hmm... glad to know that most of the guys know the benefit of Open Source and GNU/Linux. it is hearing the Linux name ,that some window$ users goes defensive :p that is a pity! it is reg Railways ,where some conspiracies DID happened ,may be due to M$ lobbyists who are unfortunately infosys etc :( .

No wonder ,SBI banks not moving to Linux/BSD after so much problems they daily face with "winblow$ stability" .

ppl -it can be good for you because you are a window$ power user. BUT ,critical systems DOES needs the security from *nix .but not something cheap mock ba$tardized thing like Vi$ta .so much for security and Vista :X DRM and what not.

Built-in Vista Spy Tools Exposed!!

Built-in Vista probing tools exposed

Softpedia has exposed more than 60 Windows Vista features and services that collect data - only 20 of them are fully disclosed in the Windows Vista Privacy Statement.

A report on Softpedia has revealed more than 20 different Vista features and services that harvest user data for Microsoft and (dare I say it) to the software giant's credit, it makes no secret about the fact Windows Vista is gathering information.

Whether or not the data harvesting is right, Microsoft provides both a Windows Vista Privacy Statement and there are also references to the data collection services in the End User License Agreement (PDF) that you agree to when you are installing the operating system.

However, what's disappointing is the fact that Microsoft has admitted that the list provided under the Windows Vista Privacy Statement is far from exhaustive. Indeed, Softpedia says that there are another 47 Windows Vista features and services that collect data. Not all of these phone home, but the report claims that around 50 percent of these items do contact Microsoft.

There is no indication of what actually happens to the data collected by Microsoft via Windows Vista but, based on two excerpts from the Windows Vista Privacy Statement, the software giant is in two minds as to how it'll use the data collected from your machine.

Almost right at the start of the Privacy statement, Microsoft says that it will not use the information it gathers to identify Windows Vista users, but just a couple of paragraphs further down the statement, the company reveals that it can use the data it collects against you if it wanted to, or was forced to.

You can read a full breakdown of the services Microsoft is using to collect data on end users here. Our best advice is that if you don't want your data sent to Microsoft, don't install Windows Vista.

bit-tech.net | Built-in Vista probing tools exposed

Dark Star said:
Rofll .. Linux crash :rofl: you must have gone nuts. like Lalu has ..Vista to Mantriya ka idea hoga.. Jaise pagal khud hai waise logo ko kar dega :rofl: Vista in Railways :lol:

man Indian railway gonna achieve another milestone for pathetic allround development.
As far as results are concerned. its quite clear. Pure stability and low on pocket.. I still bang my head when my friends comes with their HDD to clean Virus :p Search and Destroy thank to Linux.. :rofl:
You mean to tell me you've gone without problems for years with Linux? I do recall reading threads from you or some other penguin where you guys lost friggin' partitions and had no clue what happened lol.

As well, which one of the 1000's of versions should the railways choose? Will they get enterprise-grade support? They're selecting a platform for their business, not to surf pr0n or play some mp3/video files or toy around to see how pretty they can make their desktops.

vNerd said:
+1 to that, I have used XP(EeePC and main rig) and Vista(main rig) at home. Although I prefer Vista to XP, stability and security have been non-issues for me. the only issue is regarding certain software like reva tuner, but I like to keep driver signing and UAC on.

I have been Using Vista from BETA 2 stage.

from days when you were bound to get a BSOD every 2-3days in RC1 days and was not usable. but from RTM things improved.

Now after SP1, things Vista is being better & better, i agree Stability as improved, BSODs are replaced by windows Explorer's Green ribbon of death:p

But efficiency is missing, like on same hardware XP performs better than Vista.

so why should a end user upgrade?, just to slow down his system .

however it does make sense to use Vista on New machines, as it compatible with multi-core CPUS

dont you people dont know that Linux is used by Enterprises for stability and VFM ?

1000's of distros?big deal eh? different distros brings out many a developments to foss arena. even corporations and even soho users uses custom built distributions that serves them better. I think the FOSS eco-system needs to be more prelevent ,so that the FUD like no pay for developers , open source means open codes means risk and all!

what can I say expect asking window$ power users to read thoroughly and come back:
Linux !=Windows => Linux is NOT Windows

oh! and comparing vi$ta to *nix is like comparing a donkey to Human :p (no offense ! but reality) .

I can understand ,that those who are windows power users DONT EVEN like to mention the existance of FOSS :X

^^^

if you are happy with your current system, then stick to it.

no need to fix it , when it isn't broke. its for someone who is unhappy & needs a alternative;)

Linux - We have a Choice :bleh:

awww!me getting 39? dude! I too was a window$ user.think why I changed to GNU/Linux? no it aint greek to understand that the better platform open source and Linux make. :D .

but reg OP , Indian Railway made a huge mistake using peoples money.if you like window$ ,no problem .but when it comes to real things ,these gaming shell versions cant be reliable.Period!

many people purposefully want to forget that M$ being a huge monopoly with closed source platform and force us to have it some way or other be it online bank transactions or having vi$ta bundled with laptops!

No need to turn protector of redmond monopoly corporation though. like windows? no problem .I posted reg the public corporations like IR where the public money in crores are eaten by M$.

I'm a Windows user and on Vista right now. Only reason I'm sticking with Vista is for the games I like to play. After a couple of days of playing around with it, I'm ok with it though I wish the OS didn't act so smart and stopped treating me as a dumb ass :p !

But that's beside the point here on this topic. I don't see how anyone can justify Vista for govt. spending. Forget the prices for the OS and simple apps like a word processor, can u imagine the spending on "upgraded" hardware for Vista? Most european countries are doing fine on Linux, why can't India which solves most of the world's IT problems run Linux? It's about the money saved which can be spent on a million and one things, not to mention productivity, stability and options to customise the software to one's own requirements.

What does Vista bring to the table for a Govt. organisation that Linux can't at better pricepoint other than "Games for Windows"?

this is turning into a Windows vs Linux (no holds barred fight ) :bleh:

Well its our money in taxes goin for this so everyone has a right to speak up....which is not going to affect anything :bleh:

regarding upgrade to vista
all h/w now has to be upgraded dual core processors and atleast 1 gb or 2gb ram

considering most systems now are very less powerful this is gonna require major upgrades....
Guess railways have been bitten by the Upgraditis bug like us :bleh:

PS : i use too many :bleh:

RiO said:
You mean to tell me you've gone without problems for years with Linux? I do recall reading threads from you or some other penguin where you guys lost friggin' partitions and had no clue what happened lol.

As well, which one of the 1000's of versions should the railways choose
? Will they get enterprise-grade support? They're selecting a platform for their business, not to surf pr0n or play some mp3/video files or toy around to see how pretty they can make their desktops.

Huh.. That was my mistake not Linux. :S Also I could have taken the backup but I don't have any option to take backups :|

They could have chosen Red Hat and Novell or Canonical high end offering no need to run here and there .. The just wasted time money for nothing :p Hat's of Kerala and South Govt. for making the right choice :D

Support.. :rofl: have you ever received any kind of support from MS for free ?:S You just can't believe the kind of support Open Source guys offer :D

and btw will Indian railway use C2Q 9450 with 4 Gigs of Ram and 8800 GT or Intel Skulltrail ::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back