World Cup 2018 Discussions

That's a million dollar question. To lose is one thing.. To be drubbed 3-0 is another.
They're only the runners up from the last cup. I doubt they can get out of the group stage unless some stats come their favour

95% Argentina are going home[DOUBLEPOST=1529680649][/DOUBLEPOST]
argentina to win.png

Second option would be best

Last edited:
So now they need to win against Nigeria and hope Croatia continue winning. Already the Croatian coach has said that he will be resting many key players for the last match.

They could just sneak in. But Iceland held them to a draw. Nigeria beat Iceland 2-0 and now Argentina has to beat Nigeria.

Given Icelands performance against Nigeria and Nigeria's performance against croatia its hard to see Iceland win against Croatia. Key players might be getting rested but the subs will be playing hard to get noticed. Therefore Iceland either draws or loses to Croatia in which case Argentina is through if they beat Nigeria

argentina to win.jpg

Last edited:
Huge fail for VAR and the referees in the Serb v Swiss match, another Kane moment. This time it was two on one, body-slamming Mitrovic into the ground, a 100% penalty, yet it was overlooked. Dunno what the point of it all is, when things like this, which VAR is supposed to catch are let be.

Or ref failing to consult in the Sweden Germany game. Boateng was a clear foul and the swedes should have had their penalty. Why didn't anyone in the war room get the refs attention

I don't want to make any conclusions, but could it be that they don't want the top teams knocked out like trash in the group stages itself?

FIFA rankings:

1 Germany
24 Sweden

6 Switzerland
34 Serbia

And that German finish seemed a little too convenient, completely unbelievable. They played pretty mediocre in the first half and then were on fire in the second. That's still believable. But the way Sweden played when the returned in the second was shocking. Nothing like their first half performance. Another thing that struck me was when Rudy went off with the nosebleed, they were just tossing the ball around instead of attacking and using their advantage against a 10-man team. Can't really believe anything anymore, but there has to be some logic to what's going on.

It isn't unusual for current champions not to get out of the group stage. France in '02. I think the ref just missed it. He was far behind. But Boateng got sent off in the end

Was there any doubt the Germans would score ? I was expecting it. They had at least two earlier attempts that should have gone in. Italy & Holland didn't even qualify for the cup thanks to Sweden. Sweden should have pressed for another goal. They thought they could run the clock down and were content with a draw. And all they needed was a draw. Roos free kick was conceded by a sub brought on towards the end

Last edited:
Good, fair, no-nonsense refereeing in the England Panama game. Made it clear that this is football and not wrestling.

Good effort by Panama, even after losing, their one goal probably made them feel like the won the cup!

I don't think Iran deserved the penalty they got against Portugal. Iranian striker heads the ball and hits the guys arm, VAR and then penalty (!)

I'm not a fan of the current brasil squad, miss the old roberto - ronaldo - ronaldinho days, but i still feel there are way too many fouls committed against neymar. Just because he's the star player doesn't make him fair game. It's time referees became more strict.

My gut feeling is saying that Belgium will do something special in the world cup. This crop of players is the best in their history. They are been led by the All-Star Eden Hazard. What do you guys think? Can they go all the way and win the World Cup?

Crazy twist in story for the Argentinians..:) But will they make use of this lucky break? Argentina showed some flair in the first half of the game against Nigeria.. far better coordination than what we have seen so far in this tournament from them.
France will be real tough opponents, there is no go unless Argentina keeps on improving as a team.

Sweet goal by Messi btw.. great first touch, equally good second touch and a sweet strike:happy:

France have not impressed so far given how much their team is valued at presently. $700 million euros or something crazy. Belgium & Croatia have been the most impressive so far.

Argentina seem to have found their rhythm. If they can maintain it they could win against France

France have not impressed so far given how much their team is valued at presently. $700 million euros or something crazy. Belgium & Croatia have been the most impressive so far.

Argentina seem to have found their rhythm. If they can maintain it they could win against France
Yea true.. but a team of their caliber can click and go berserk anytime. So can't predict anything right now.

Just like Spain last cup, they too were cup holders. It was very tense though.

I hope the underdogs go forward , they really are giving it their all

Who wants to see Brazil crash too :eek:

Back