XBOX One - News, Rumors & Speculations

Yeah, so all the good news together

• Mandatory install of games.
  • One time serial key used to install games - tied to your xbox live account.
  • If you give the game to a friend, he/she will have to pay a fee to play it.
  • According to Phil Harrison, VP at MS; said fee = full price of game.
  • For single player games, the console will need to be connected to the internet at least once very 24 hours.

Confirmed?

Yes although MS didn't say much about it.

Highlights of the show:

Other specs - 8 core CPU, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, 802.11 n, HDMI in, HDMI out, 3 USB 3.0 ports, slot loading blu-ray drive. Power brick still a separate unit! :banghead:

The Xbox One Kinect is a revamped version of the present one, recognises upto 6 players, more sensitive to gestures, 1080p HD RGB camera, 30 fps color etc.

The new controller gets a new design, better ergonomics, battery integrated compartment (still requires 2 AA batteries!), precision D-pad, impulse triggers.

Some new titles announced - a Forza title, Quantum Break, live action Halo series directed by Spielberg. More titles to be revealed during E3.

Constant internet connection - not required but login required at least once a day.

Backward compatibility not present despite the change in processor architecture.

Pricing and launch date - not revealed.

Xbox_Console_F_Tilt_TransBG_RGB_2013.png

Xbox_Sensor_F_TransBG_RGB_2013-980x379.png

Xbox_Controller_F_TransBG_RGB_2013-980x744.png

2013-05-21-image-10.png

2013-05-21-image-13.png

This is worth a read - http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one-development-photos

Found this video on Youtube and it is funny. I did not find the engine that detailed,come on Crysis showed us better when it was launched and Activision are still generations behind CRYTEK. New COD adds a new character, a DOG . Like the older ones weren`t having one coming at you. Its E3 for SONY,i hope they nail it this time.

specs are good but the design seems to be very old school types.....
and the Kinect could be smaller.....
hdmi in out is great....

Login once a day ??
So what if i am going a vacation ? What do i do then ?

You need to login once a day when you are playing a title. Maybe to access the cloud for saves or achievement syncs. This isn't very clear as MS has not revealed much information about it. Only after a Kotaku author asked Phil, he got some clarification that the unit requires to be connected once every 24 hours.

It may be like this. Some titles require a mandatory installation of the new firmware (PS3) or dashboard (X360) before they can be played else the console promptly puts the user back into the home menu. Similarly, before attempting the title the console may seek a connection to be established before starting it. Which may then be disconnected later and played without issues.

There’s one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the console’s hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know. (Update: Microsoft called Wired after this story was originally published to say that the company did have a plan for used games, and that further details were forthcoming.)

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

The only thing that deters me from getting it more than the login-into-internet-once-a-day is the concept behind used titles. I hope MS comes up with an acceptable solution.[DOUBLEPOST=1369213081][/DOUBLEPOST]

:hilarious:

+1 to that #Gannu..

I dont see a point in paying the full amount to try a game from my friend.. Also, all the major titles on XBox do flow into pc's (eg Halo, though not the entire series).
So if i have good pc, i will never bother to buy an xbox to play the titles instead buy a ps3 for its exclusives. But yeah Kinect has no replacement yet.. :)

Any info on what software/OS this will have? Customised Win8 with "metro" UI? :D

They said it will have 3 OS - one cut down version of Win 8 for general app installations as skype etc, one XBOX OS and another one two manage these two side by side. Now XBOX can snap two windows like Windows - you can play game / watch a movie and do skype call at same time.

Btw, read some funny comment in other sites regarding bringing Win OS in XBOX. the most hilarious one is:

XBOX, meet BSOD. BSOD, meet XBOX :D

They said it will have 3 OS - one cut down version of Win 8 for general app installations as skype etc, one XBOX OS and another one two manage these two side by side. Now XBOX can snap two windows like Windows - you can play game / watch a movie and do skype call at same time.

Btw, read some funny comment in other sites regarding bringing Win OS in XBOX. the most hilarious one is:

XBOX, meet BSOD. BSOD, meet XBOX :D
I think it should be
RROD meet BSOD. BSOD meet RROD. :D

It's a set top box shaped like a vcr. I hope they do better at E3 and clear all the confusion around used games, kinect functionality and online connection requirements.
I was thinking they were fooling us only to surprise everyone at E3 by showing the real hardware, that's how bad i think it looks. Large footprint and all kinds of black on this box designed by a 10 year old. It's like they forgot the gamers and focused on the housewives.

***Deal with it*** (IYKWIM)
;)

Great article from IGN UK

Excerpt -
Microsoft is facing a different set of potential misperceptions: it’s not for gamers, it’s not as powerful as the PS4, it won’t let me play used games, it won’t let me use it if it isn’t connected to the Internet. Unless these questions are cleared up well before release the Xbox One will be launching into an atmosphere of confusion, or even suspicion, from many of the people who could be its early adopters and evangelists.
E3 is the second half of this reveal. Right now, there’s a lot riding on it.
[DOUBLEPOST=1369239819][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW has there been any news on game pricing, tiers or console prices? It may really come down to that.

`Well,one can play used games for free but then MS did not yet give a clear answer. They say that using my ID,i could play game on my console as well as my friends console. Coz all the games require an install on the hard drive - nonsense compulsion from MS . So the code that is generated,is specific to a User Profile. But it was a total disappointment for me. They want more of TV and less of games . Found this Article on ENGADGET and thought of sharing it here.

#1 - BUYING AND SELLING OF USED GAMES IS SUPPORTED
Yes, you can play used games. Yes, you can buy used games and, therefore, it's reasonable to conclude that you can sell them too. It was postulated that you would have to pay some sort of activation fee to Microsoft to re-enable those used games, but Microsoft seems to be trying to dispel that thought. Exactly how it works still remains to be seen. "It's going to be different than the way we currently do it," Albert Penello, senior director of product planning at Microsoft told us. "We'll get into more specifics later."

#2 - GAMES ARE INSTALLED IN THE BACKGROUND WHILE YOU PLAY
Just pop the disc in and start playing and the game will start installing while you play. No need to hit the Y button and go through any other theatrics.

#3 - YOU CAN PLAY INSTALLED GAMES WITHOUT THE DISC
Sick of sitting through the full game install on the Xbox 360, only to still have to get up and put the disc in every time you want to play it? So was everyone at Microsoft, as it turns out. "That feature, the ability to play games off the hard drive, was one of the first things we wrote down when we started to talk about next-gen," said Penello. So, yes, once you install the game, you can put the disc on the shelf and forget about it. But, presumably, you can't just sell the disc and still keep playing the game.
So, how does that work? At a minimum, each game disc must have some sort of unique ID associated to your account. "Your Xbox account will tie you to your game," said Penello. That ID must, therefore, be somehow disassociated from your account before you can sell the thing. Unfortunately, this is where things start getting murky. "We'll get into more specifics later," Penello told us again, a common chant that hopefully will change when we get to E3 in a few weeks time.

#4 - YOU CAN DOWNLOAD GAMES THAT WERE PURCHASED ON DISC
Here's an interesting situation. What happens if you want to play a game you own on a friends console? You will, Penello says, have "the ability to go over to your friends house, download your save game, or even download your game to his Xbox and pick up where you left off." So, not only will your game saves be stored in the cloud, your entire game library will be and you'll be able to download it from anywhere.

#5 - OFFLINE GAMEPLAY IS SUPPORTED
That all your game saves are in the cloud is a nice step forward, but what if you're offline? Can you still access those game saves? Can you still play your games? Yes, you can. Games will work offline without an issue and game saves will sync transparently when you reconnect, Penello told us. However, some games that make use of Microsoft's online services may not be playable offline. That will be up to developers.

#6 - YOU CAN SHARE GAMES WITH THOSE IN YOUR "HOUSEHOLD"
Another use-case we threw Penello's way: what if your spouse or child signs in to the family's Xbox One and wants to play a game that is associated with your account? Will they have to buy it themselves? "Certainly we've accounted for family members in the household being able to play games." Exactly how? That, again, remains to be seen. Only 19 days until E3...

LINK : http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-used-games/

Back