XBOX One - News, Rumors & Speculations

I get the profit making part.

Trust me there are gamers out there who wont wait a month or 2 after the release of gears to get their hands on it by waiting for someone to offload it cheaply. There is a healthy base of people who just want to play the game as soon as it releases. This is the sole reason preorders have gained traction over the years.
Now if we have to pay the full price for even the crappy games, then the demand of the same would decrease and thus would result in lower profits.

Understand the current scenario -

A person may buy a new 7/10 game for around 2.5 k with the hope that after playing an ample amount of time he may have the ability to dump it to someone else for 1.5 k. A cost of 1 k to enjoy a decent to mediocre game.
If the person knows that he wont be able to sell it then he simply wont buy one and that would cost ms/or anyother developer the sale.

Market dynamics will work no matter what decision they decide to take.

Sony MS don't care about the guy who is NOT making money for them. Their strategies will always target people who buy games.

Both make zero money off used games but GameStop and used games industry is hard to ignore. And they have decided to tap it.

We know that hardware sales is not the reason both make money it's the games and services which rake in the money for profits.

Secondly regarding Sony's statement there is nothing that confirms that the Used games won't have a fee.

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that PlayStation 4 will not block the use of second-hand games, contrary to various reports, speculation and even a Sony patent unearthed last month.

I sat down with Yoshida a few hours after the PS4 reveal tonight and one of the first things I asked was whether used games would be blocked.

"Do you want us to do that?" he asked.

No, I said. I think, if you buy something on a disc, that you have a kind of moral contract with the person you've bought it from that you retain some of that value and you can pass it on.

Do you agree, I asked?

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

So if someone buys a PlayStation 4 game, I asked, you're not going to stop them reselling it?

"Aaaah," was Yoshida's initial answer, but seemingly only because he'd forgotten his line. "So what was our official answer to our internal question?" he asked his Japanese PR advisor. The advisor stepped in but didn't seem to answer clearly, at least to my ears. Yoshida then took control again firmly:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

I said I thought that was fine.

Interestingly, I also spoke to a Sony source elsewhere at the event this evening who told me that the anti used-game patent discovered last month was actually nothing to do with PlayStation 4 at all.

The patent suggested that discs would come branded with a contactless tag that could be recognised and read by your console, which would then bind it to you and prevent you from selling it on.

But whatever reason Sony did have for patenting it, it sounds like it wasn't for its next-generation console. Hopefully Microsoft will also avoid this ludicrous technology with its next-generation Xbox as well.

Technically they can.... since they sell it as software and not as game. They can sell it as a single user license. And any other person using that copy can either play limited time/levels or will have to purchase the license for using the software. So its not the disk they are charging again :)
Also what I am eager to know is that if I have two consoles in my home both having different xbox live ids say for two kids then how will this licensing thing work. M$ needs to get all such details very clear else it will only piss the prospective buyers....
in USA where 70% of households own some kind of console its not a very rare scenario where a house may be having multiple consoles for say different children or rooms.
Well they surely can, technically per se. The only issue is gaming industry has worked for ages with used games. It has been a big part of the culture, along with the $60 price point. Now with the early generation gamer crowd maturing and earning, gaming companies are trying to squeeze as much money as they can. The $60 price point is gone with DLCs, even the day one DLCs..which is just effed up but understandable. I think all the companies think becoming EA will turn them supremely profitable, they keep forgetting gaming, in spite of being billions dollar industry is a small industry comparatively. There can be a collective snub if MS even shits about same price "used" game. I guess WiiU's colossal failure hasn't taught any of these companies a bit.

I'm ok with banning used games if new ones cost $30 :p

Amen to that, unfortunately I think prices will only go up.

Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider sold 6-7 million together and still did not make money.

Tomb Raider had a budget of 200 million dollars, totally overboard.

Indie games will make up for one end of the spectrum but AAA prod houses are going bigger and dearer no doubt.

dlc.jpeg

You guy's must have seen these before but here's again.

Would love to know what that guy was smoking.
Mgs4 given a mere honourable mention and gta 4 makes the list. Good stuff.

And Heavy Rain also in the honorable mention? my goodness.. this is so ridiculous.. HR was one of its kind implemented beautifully.. I must say, my PS3 purchase (very recently) became so VFM when I played HR. A must play game for its uniqueness and story telling.

MGS4 I am still to play so no comments there..

But why was UC3 missed?? and I think they shouldn't mention any games available for pc coz they are not console exclusives to list in only for consoles

Oh wow don't take it so personally guys, it's just a website's opinion on what just needs to be played.

Most of the games should be played by anyone who has bought a console.

I read somewhere that there is no support for xbox 360 games even from the cloud (or without disk). Which means xbox one has to start with game number one :)

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/main

Xbox, go home.

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
At Xbox, we’ve always believed in a connected world of games and entertainment. With Xbox One, we are planning for a connected future. We can’t wait to show you what’s to come.

I doubt EA/Activision will let you re-sell games in the first couple of months when you can actually make some money back on the game.

Its a bullshit buddy.. they are just saying its not us but the game developers and the developers/publishers wont support any reselling as they lose their own cut of profits.
It simply means no support to used games. Period.

Its a bullshit buddy.. they are just saying its not us but the game developers and the developers/publishers wont support any reselling as they lose their own cut of profits.
It simply means no support to used games. Period.
They are trying to treat games as apps. Apps are a huge market now and they don't want to lose out on such an industry model.

Even Steam doesn't let you trade in games, but it's not looked down upon as you get great discount on games and your games are easily accessible. I'm sure if XOne is doing it, even Sony would be on it too. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

Honestly from my experience after having owned both the previous gen. consoles so far, the PS3 has been a superior console not only in terms of hardware but the number of exclusive titles and the quality of those. We have a handful of titles for the X360 whereas the PS3 is still getting exclusives despite rumors about PS4 began sometime last year!

The Xbox One is aiming to be an all-round home entertainment system rather than a gaming console first. In the present era, that looks definitely good but unless there are some good titles to support this console, not many gamers are going to invest in this. I am pretty damn sure about this. The release event was over but where are the exclusive titles? We have absolutely no information about that. The response from Japan regarding the announcement of the Xbox One was lukewarm or rather dead so to say. Pretty much explains the reactions from hardcore gamers!

Used games is another big question for the game publishers. They do not get anything from the sales of second hand titles. Although Sony has said that the PS4 will support used titles, they are yet to clearly specify that. It was rumored before that some tag on the blu ray disc (such as NFC?) would be tied with the console in use; Sony has already filed a patent for it I recall. Which might mean the second user may have to pay a certain amount to unlock the game if he inserts the disc and intends to play it on his console.

So basically they are going to change the whole gaming culture in one swoop. This not only kills reselling but collecting too. As a collector now you need to buy original games else you are done for. What a bunch of idiots!! Makes you wonder why was The twitter bashing MS executive fired again?

Microsoft digging it grave even deeper now ?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/11/xbox-one-launch-asia-2014/

If you thought November 2013 was too long to wait, bear a thought for Asian gamers who will apparently have to wait those six months, plus an additional twelve, to pick up their Xbox One. According to Alan Bowman, Microsoft's Regional VP for Sales and Marketing in Asia, the new console will launch in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and India around late 2014. (Note the lack of Japan on that list, we're still checking with Microsoft on that.) These are all regions that have been marked as gaming high-growth areas by Microsoft -- the VP added that the Xbox 360 became the top-selling console in Asia this year. The company's also pointed to its next-generation Kinect sensor, one that will work in "dramatically reduced" room spaces and, according Bowman, will be better attuned to Asian gamers who might not have living room space in their homes.

Not sure gamers will wait for the Xbox One this long.

They are done for me i am afraid.

It will sell in america though like it always does and a little bit in Europe. But it's dead in asia with the current news.

Ps4 will rain here and rightly so because for the last three generations it has been just far too superior.

Back