Budget 10-15K Xiaomi Mi3 or Moto G

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Which one is crowd puller these days and why? Was looking to recommend the Moto G to someone but don't want to regret not seeking the community opinion on the Mi3 as it is the hot topic these days on TE.

Among the few android phones that i have used personally ,i always feel the nexus series and the motorola have an edge over the others.
I always feel a mobile phone or a gadget should just be a medium to achieve what you want. , without getting n the way. Iphone/Ipads do that so do the nexus series.

Nexus 4/5 are great phones for daily purpose let down by their battery life. Moto g has a better battery life and a dual sim option to boot! Honestly , unless you are specifically looking for particular features like a full hd screen, or a better camera, or unless you are offended by the relatively plain lifeless design, moto g (and x) are the best android phones in the market. Bar none. Pocketable, eminently usable and reliable and I just love how it disappears in the crowd..
Oh,i am sounding like a moto fanboy! I dont own a motorola phone, but my father does use a moto G , and If i move to android it will be a G for me too.

Among the few android phones that i have used personally ,i always feel the nexus series and the motorola have an edge over the others.
I always feel a mobile phone or a gadget should just be a medium to achieve what you want. , without getting n the way. Iphone/Ipads do that so do the nexus series.

Nexus 4/5 are great phones for daily purpose let down by their battery life. Moto g has a better battery life and a dual sim option to boot! Honestly , unless you are specifically looking for particular features like a full hd screen, or a better camera, or unless you are offended by the relatively plain lifeless design, moto g (and x) are the best android phones in the market. Bar none. Pocketable, eminently usable and reliable and I just love how it disappears in the crowd..
Oh,i am sounding like a moto fanboy! I dont own a motorola phone, but my father does use a moto G , and If i move to android it will be a G for me too.

I have used all from Nexus 5,Moto G,Moto E and Mi3...
For dual sim Moto G is the king right now..
If ur developer / who wants to use android L then Nexus is preferred...Right now am using Mi3 and its a beast for the price...
VFM anyday

Got a Moto G for dad. Solid Phone
Got a Mi3 for myself. Will not trade with my dad even if he pays me to.
Build on the G is robust. Plus you get nano coating, thats a plus. Plus its 2000 off. But i would still go for Mi3.
An unknown brand, yes. They surpassed even samsung in sales in china. and what do i hear about after sales? they have a service centre in my satellite city too.
Build on the Mi3 is exemplary. Anyone holding the phone gats amazed at the build quality at this price.
It is very simple to decide between two..
If you want the best sub 12K phone- moto G
If you want a 26K speck phone at 14K with a better than 26K battey, screen,interface and looks- Mi3 All the way

I would basically give a hands on experience
It matters always because ultimately he will use

I gave my Dad Nexus 5 and Moto X hands on from friends

I got him Moto X and he's is quite happy with it. Especially touch less control

Mod edit: please avoid excessive exclamation marks

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife needs a new phone. Currently She is using Lumia 520 but as she listens to music a lot, the phone is not upto her expectations. Creating playlist is very time consuming and there is not option to edit playlist like add to queue or remove.
I know that 8.1 update is on the way and we should wait. but the fact is that my own phone is 3.5 years old, So I will buy her a new one and I will use her 520 myself.

1. Budget? -------------------------------------------------------------> 15000/-

2. Display type and size?-------------------------------------------------> 5" HD Display

3. Dual sim?-------------------------------------------------------------> No

4. Preferred choice of brand?---------------------------------------------> Moto/Xperia/No Samshit unless they come up with better design.

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?-------------> Front/Flash/Autofocus

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).--------> Android

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).--------------------------> 3G will be enough

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?------> multimedia, video capture, photo, e-book
(need a 5" screen) internet, But very limited gaming.

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? ---------------------------> Considering of course Moto G/ Xiaomi M13 but she has 6-7 GB of songs and I don't want her to run out of space.

My wife needs a new phone. Currently She is using Lumia 520 but as she listens to music a lot, the phone is not upto her expectations. Creating playlist is very time consuming and there is not option to edit playlist like add to queue or remove.
I know that 8.1 update is on the way and we should wait. but the fact is that my own phone is 3.5 years old, So I will buy her a new one and I will use her 520 myself.

1. Budget? -------------------------------------------------------------> 15000/-

2. Display type and size?-------------------------------------------------> 5" HD Display

4. Preferred choice of brand?---------------------------------------------> Moto/Xperia/No Samshit unless they come up with better design.

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?-------------> Front/Flash/Autofocus

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).--------> Android

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).--------------------------> 3G will be enough

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?------> multimedia, video capture, photo, e-book

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? ---------------------------> Considering of course Moto G/ Xiaomi M13 but she has 6-7 GB of songs and I
don't want her to run out of space.

MI3 is pretty big for a phone. I find it impossible to operate using single hand. Have to put a conscious effort.
moto g and mi3 both have space constraints so....Mi3 anyday.

if u are willing to wait then the redmi 1s fits your requirements perfectly and at half the price. (Since you are not looking at heavy spec phone.....frankly no one needs a S800 chipset 90% of the time and the remaining 10% is mostly for games-excluding exceptions of course)

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? ---------------------------> Considering of course Moto G/ Xiaomi M13 but she has 6-7 GB of songs and I don't want her to run out of space.
Mi3 any-day over moto g.
Register for next sale. ;)

Was looking to recommend the Moto G to someone but don't want to regret not seeking the community opinion on the Mi3 as it is the hot topic these days on TE.
You will have to define the capabilities of this 'someone'.

Asus zenfone 5 is also a contender, 2GB RAM, dual sim but battery life is less than moto g

it depends on whom u are recommending for. boy/girl...brand fanatic/geek.
This

You will have to define the capabilities of this 'someone'.

Asus zenfone 5 is also a contender, 2GB RAM, dual sim but battery life is less than moto g

This
Will it really matter between the Mi3 and Moto G? Isn't using any android phone the same these days.

They went with the Moto G as the Mi3 was not available which I told them was good in a way.

My father uses E, if I ever move to Android it will be the G or E for sure.

Will it really matter between the Mi3 and Moto G? Isn't using any android phone the same these days.

They went with the Moto G as the Mi3 was not available which I told them was good in a way.
Not really. While both offer great OotB experience, Moto G does lag in doing normal tasks - Opening Whatsapp, Call logs etc. after a period of time (big cache is built) as compared to Mi3 (possibly due to faster processor, more RAM). Plus you get a FHD display vs a 720p display, which is big up (I didn't believe it until I saw the Mi3).

The difference is whether you get to do tech support or not. Mi-3 is easier to recommend if you already own one. Thing with this board is most that own a mi-3 are technically competent to some degree. Recommending a mi-3 to a layperson 'someone' i think is a bit ambitious. If they are willing to learn ie do time on mi's forums then fine, not if they expect it to 'just work'. If this will be their first android device or not.

yes i suppose this is going to be the case more often than not.

Have to say i'm surprised at the number of moto g recommends post mi-3 launch in this thread. Thought it would be slam dunk mi-3.

Guess a 800+ post thread on moto g means lot more people got the moto g than mi-3.

moto broke the rules by offering 16GB on an entry level device, asus takes it a step further by offering 2GB RAM. Very interested to see the successor to moto g.

mi packs in an s800 on top of that but we can see the limitations when it comes to acquring one.

Last edited:
The difference is whether you get to do tech support or not. Mi-3 is easier to recommend if you already own one. Thing with this board is most that own a mi-3 are technically competent to some degree. Recommending a mi-3 to a layperson 'someone' i think is a bit ambitious. If they are willing to learn ie do time on mi's forums then fine, not if they expect it to 'just work'. If this will be their first android device or not.
Quite the opposite. MIUI just works. No Android geekiness needed. Much more useful and simplistic layout than stock.

Just another supporter of Moto G. Moto G has been out for months and we know its reliable (not counting the problems which some people faced including after-sales services. no phone is perfect duh!).
Mi3 might have better specs, literally double of what Moto G offers but i have reliability and durability concerns. Not because its chinese but the fact remains that its too good to be true even though its true but its hard to believe that its without faults. and tell me how many of you have used the Mi3 for 6 months or more?
Specs isn't everything people.
If I were given 14k right now I would order the Moto G eyes closed.

Last edited:
Just to add more the confusion.

Alcatel onetouch Idol x+ (lengthy name). Have been using for 3 month now. I'm Impressed by it .
Prior to this was using Motorola Photon 4G . felt exclusive to own one.
Great Phone Served me well. Would have easily lasted another year ,frankly changed it as everyone having a Moto G or E.

Alcatel onetouch Idol x+
+ve's
Nice unibody design
Super Sleek
Full Hd 5'' display , dosn't feel big.
Great camera
Good Battery Life

-ve's
Jelly bean ( promised Kit Kat by Aug)
Parts serivce support might a problem after sometime.
Accesories are limited /none.

p.s - Mi3 was not available at the time of purchase otherwise would have bought it.
Having Idol X+ feels exclusive again :) as I have not seen anyone owning it.

Last edited:
Your answers made me more confused guys. I have a Mi3 in Flipkart cart which needs to be purchased by midnight today. Otherwise It will lapse. I have used Moto G, frankly its looks are quiet ordinary and the display is good but not great.

Back