YOU Broadband - Chennai - Beware

Could you please post a transfer speed screenshot of leasweb from US East & West coast? It would help me take up the matter with YouBB Customer Care.
Haven't you been trying to do that for quite a while now? The point I was making earlier was that users of Act faces similar speed and latency, so I don't think You is deciding you with the 100 mbps advertising, like Ash said got close to full speed on steam and GOG, on torrents it's about 60-70mbps based on the peers.

ACT or YOU, depending upon the locality there seems to be problem. Sooner or later they need to get the cables underground or this cable cut problem is going to persist with more competition as it is well known fact that the cables are cut by the competitor.Surprisingly Airtel cables come in the ground just like BSNL and that is the reason that more often we do not have cable problem with BSNL or Airtel and their connections are more reliable though their speed and cost are absurd. I think like Airtel YOU and ACT or any new Broadband provider should have their cables in the ground for uninterrupted connection to the customer end.

Haven't you been trying to do that for quite a while now? The point I was making earlier was that users of Act faces similar speed and latency, so I don't think You is deciding you with the 100 mbps advertising, like Ash said got close to full speed on steam and GOG, on torrents it's about 60-70mbps based on the peers.

The Best thing about ACT 20Mbps is it cannot load 1080P Smoothly sometimes and Verge HD Videos always get struck. It's all Numbers Game at the End of the day.
Remember 10mbps unlimited for 5999/annum from Fivenet in 2010, when no one even heard of such speeds at low costs in India at that point of time?

. I think like Airtel YOU and ACT or any new Broadband provider should have their cables in the ground for uninterrupted connection to the customer end.
They usually have Cables underground from POP to POP and POP to NOC mostly leased. If they start laying fiber underground they may forget profits and start spending a minimum of 50 Lakhs/ Kilometer. In places like Delhi its as high as 2 Crores/km.

The Best thing about ACT 20Mbps is it cannot load 1080P Smoothly sometimes and Verge HD Videos always get struck. It's all Numbers Game at the End of the day.
Remember 10mbps unlimited for 5999/annum from Fivenet in 2010, when no one even heard of such speeds at low costs in India at that point of time?

They usually have Cables underground from POP to POP and POP to NOC mostly leased. If they start laying fiber underground they may forget profits and start spending a minimum of 50 Lakhs/ Kilometer. In places like Delhi its as high as 2 Crores/km.

Well, I am not sure if the advertised bandwidth will or SHOULD be available across any geo location, I am quite sure when I was in the US using the Comcast 50Mbps connection, I dont think it gave the same bandwidth on some of the Indian servers. We do get the advertised or thereabouts bandwidth on steam/gog servers, whether their servers are located in Asia, I am not sure. What are the TRAI rules here?

@JMP I'd do that but my connection is down.

Connection down again?!

@Jasku, has your issue been resolved?

No man, absolutely tortured them on Saturday, repeated calling, my wife did most of the damage, but in the end they said the local counsel men did not allow them to work (since they wanted a bribe), I was extremely cool throughout, but when he said "sir, what can I do, its not in my hands" I got really pissed and blasted that guy, unfortunately it was of no use (which was expected) anyways, they have assured that it will be done by 3pm today.

The appellate officer doesn't answer the phone, tried a bazillion times over the week and today, used the numbers posted on their website and the one you shared with me.

I think we should file a complaint against them at Akosha, not sure if we can?!

Anyways, can some of you on the 100mbps plan, post your upload speeds? I am getting 20 mbps, I am pretty sure it was close to 100 earlier.

Well, I am not sure if the advertised bandwidth will or SHOULD be available across any geo location, I am quite sure when I was in the US using the Comcast 50Mbps connection, I dont think it gave the same bandwidth on some of the Indian servers. We do get the advertised or thereabouts bandwidth on steam/gog servers, whether their servers are located in Asia, I am not sure. What are the TRAI rules here?

No man, absolutely tortured them on Saturday, repeated calling, my wife did most of the damage, but in the end they said the local counsel men did not allow them to work (since they wanted a bribe), I was extremely cool throughout, but when he said "sir, what can I do, its not in my hands" I got really pissed and blasted that guy, unfortunately it was of no use (which was expected) anyways, they have assured that it will be done by 3pm today.

The appellate officer doesn't answer the phone, tried a bazillion times over the week and today, used the numbers posted on their website and the one you shared with me.

I think we should file a complaint against them at Akosha, not sure if we can?!

Anyways, can some of you on the 100mbps plan, post your upload speeds? I am getting 20 mbps, I am pretty sure it was close to 100 earlier.

Yeah my connection is down again. Called them up, no proper response. Customer Care says "Application down", Technical guy doesn't pick up my calls so I called him from another number. Asshole picks up and says connection is down for everyone in the area, not just me. Like that's any consolation.

What's Akosha?

Yeah my connection is down again. Called them up, no proper response. Customer Care says "Application down", Technical guy doesn't pick up my calls so I called him from another number. Asshole picks up and says connection is down for everyone in the area, not just me. Like that's any consolation.

What's Akosha?
Lol, their customer care application is down from Saturday evening, every time I call them they say call me back in an hour, it hasn't been fixed till this morning.

Akosha is a forum for filing consumer complaints, I don't know the details but have seen members refer and use it on this forum.

Last edited:
Lol, their customer care application is down from Saturday evening, every time I call them they say call me back in an hour, it hasn't been fixed till this morning.

Akosha is a forum for filing consumer complaints, I don't know the details but have seen members refer and use it on this forum.

Yeah, it was down on Friday evening too. Surprisingly, I just received a call from the Renewal department asking me to renew my connection and when I told her about the downtime, she was able to verify every little detail including the exact periods over the past one week. Their "application" seems to work just fine for that.

I'm all up for filing complaints. I've had it with these guys. The moment I have a better alternative, I'll switch. Visiting the BSNL office today to see if they offer their fiber lines in my area.

Yeah, it was down on Friday evening too. Surprisingly, I just received a call from the Renewal department asking me to renew my connection and when I told her about the downtime, she was able to verify every little detail including the exact periods over the past one week. Their "application" seems to work just fine for that.

I'm all up for filing complaints. I've had it with these guys. The moment I have a better alternative, I'll switch. Visiting the BSNL office today to see if they offer their fiber lines in my area.

Do you have railwire in your area?

Nope. Guy says it's gone completely in Velachery, Adyar and Thiruvanmiyur. What about your connection?
That seems like massive outage, if it were true they should be giving it higher priority. Any ETA on restoration?

I got a call from the Chennai office stating the connection has been restored, but I am not at home so cant check, will get home and confirm. Absolutely blasted their customer care, was on the phone for 20 mins to speak to their so called "supervisor".

I think I'm cancelling my connection. This isn't a service anymore, just a scam. The technician has no idea when it'll be back up.

I think I'm cancelling my connection. This isn't a service anymore, just a scam. The technician has no idea when it'll be back up.

But, but, there isnt anything better, keep calling em man, escalate it at the call center, threaten to take them to the consume courts.

ACT has been pretty good so far (3 months I think). Downtimes are very limited and the connection is restored in minutes, maybe hours.

PS: I'm on a 66Mbps plan but I don't really care if I'm getting 65.9999999999 or lower. As long as it's something above 10Mbps, it's good. 10Mbps with copper is not 10.

Back