Your Experience with OLX/Quikr?

I personally prefer not to deal with strangers, was asking for a friend who had listed the phone, I wanted to make him aware of the dangers (Someone may give you bogus money, fake notes I mean) and as suggested by a fellow member, a stolen mobile which means you end up being a 'thief' even though you purchased it and there's no way to prove you purchased the phone as it was a cash transaction.
Forums ftw!
and you dont think selling stolen items on forums/ebay isn't possible? :/

Bumping the thread.

Would experienced people (who have sold bought stuff on these websites) let me know if it is a good idea to buy a separate SIM card and a spare phone (already have) and give this number to the OLX type websites ? I do not wish to give my primary number to them.

Bumping the thread.

Would experienced people (who have sold bought stuff on these websites) let me know if it is a good idea to buy a separate SIM card and a spare phone (already have) and give this number to the OLX type websites ? I do not wish to give my primary number to them.

I didn't give my number on it. Said interested personal contact me on a2d@gmail.com. People who are interested will - and then you can exchange numbers and interact with each other.

So i have started using olx and quikr to sell some stuff i have.
As of now i have listed 4-5 items on both these websites and my personal opinion about both of these are...

Olx

Better interface for posting ad and editing
Compresses images when uploading automatically
Clear indication of new messages / replies to ad
Better response to ads than quikr
Can reply directly from within olx

Quikr

Bad interface for posting ads
Uploads images as it is in full size
Have to explicitly click on "replies to my ads" to see if i have even received any reply.
Response not as good as olx.
No option to reply to a response right from quikr, have to use email or contact the person on number / email.
Spam Sender - I just searched for 1BHK in my area and it created a "wanted" type ad and started bombarding my mailbox with the ads whenever a new listing would get posted. It might be convenient to some but i never created the alert and it did for me which is not what i wanted.

So i have started using olx and quikr to sell some stuff i have.
As of now i have listed 4-5 items on both these websites and my personal opinion about both of these are...

Olx

Better interface for posting ad and editing
Compresses images when uploading automatically
Clear indication of new messages / replies to ad
Better response to ads than quikr
Can reply directly from within olx

Quikr

Bad interface for posting ads
Uploads images as it is in full size
Have to explicitly click on "replies to my ads" to see if i have even received any reply.
Response not as good as olx.
No option to reply to a response right from quikr, have to use email or contact the person on number / email.
Spam Sender - I just searched for 1BHK in my area and it created a "wanted" type ad and started bombarding my mailbox with the ads whenever a new listing would get posted. It might be convenient to some but i never created the alert and it did for me which is not what i wanted.

quikr i felt is more bad than good. you may see responses to your ads from scamsters often. also, it seems that quikr simply ignores your requests to unsubscribe from alerts, unless you keep doing that multiple times.

anyway, you might've known beforehand or might've understood that one should try to deal locally only, as much as possible.

Yes I deal locally only and if ever I have to deal with someone not from my city then I will ask for money first and I am pretty sure no one would give me that.
I already sold apple universally dock and Logitech webcam locally.
Olx and such have given good platform to sell our surplus or unwanted stuff.

Sharing my experience:

I have sold a lot of things through both these websites especially since I was moving from Bangalore to another city. I sold my bed, mattress, study table, tv table, phone, couch, misc electronics etc.

In my opinion OLX > Quikr.

Tips : 1) Instead of giving your phone number in the ad, give your disposable email address. Believe me if a person is interested, they will drop an email and you can always reply from your phone and then eventually take their number and call them. I have done all deals in this manner as I'm very picky with my cellphone number and spam coming on it through calls/text etc.

2) Talk to the person and meet them somewhere in public if possible especially if you will be selling your cellphone or some other portable device. Don't invite them home if not required.

3) Take good and multiple pics of the item that you want to sell, believe me this will put you ahead of everyone and will gather more interest from the person who wants to buy.

4) Please be patient and smart. There will be low balling so learn how to deal with it smartly and calmly. Multiple occasions where people have low balled but i remained firm and then these people came back and bought it from me. It will happen so relax.

5) I would not encourage any woman to deal through these websites alone. Please have someone with you and follow point 2 strictly.

These services are crap if you live in small city but awesome if you are in a bigger city. Quikr is crap to be honest and they spam quite a lot in the form of unsolicited emails. Olx is a much cleaner and better service imo.

Yeah Quikr sucks. And they send unsolicited spam. I hope they are reading this.
I got a new cell phone number and dedicated email just for selling on these. I saw that when my ads were without mobile number I received almost negligible response but after adding mobile number I started to get more responses and direct calls.
Also please repost your ads every 3-4 days since I feel people sometimes don't reply to older ads.
Meet in public place only and yes take pics, people do not respond to ads without pics (in my opinion).
Give as much information as possible, gives confidence to people.

Sharing my experience:

I have sold a lot of things through both these websites especially since I was moving from Bangalore to another city. I sold my bed, mattress, study table, tv table, phone, couch, misc electronics etc.

In my opinion OLX > Quikr.

Tips : 1) Instead of giving your phone number in the ad, give your disposable email address. Believe me if a person is interested, they will drop an email and you can always reply from your phone and then eventually take their number and call them. I have done all deals in this manner as I'm very picky with my cellphone number and spam coming on it through calls/text etc.

2) Talk to the person and meet them somewhere in public if possible especially if you will be selling your cellphone or some other portable device. Don't invite them home if not required.

3) Take good and multiple pics of the item that you want to sell, believe me this will put you ahead of everyone and will gather more interest from the person who wants to buy.

4) Please be patient and smart. There will be low balling so learn how to deal with it smartly and calmly. Multiple occasions where people have low balled but i remained firm and then these people came back and bought it from me. It will happen so relax.

5) I would not encourage any woman to deal through these websites alone. Please have someone with you and follow point 2 strictly.

These services are crap if you live in small city but awesome if you are in a bigger city. Quikr is crap to be honest and they spam quite a lot in the form of unsolicited emails. Olx is a much cleaner and better service imo.

a very agreeable post!!
also, thanks for the selling of the beds and matresses idea by you and honest1. was contemplating that :p

Its trolling mostly & only very few genuine deals...

Also sellers tend to not respond even if you agree to pay their quoted price.. Happened to me numerous times...

Its trolling mostly & only very few genuine deals...

Also sellers tend to not respond even if you agree to pay their quoted price.. Happened to me numerous times...

Yeah, got two replies on quikr, one was "Nice Pic" and another with nothing but "send details". I am not even sure what details the person wanted when everything was mentioned in the ad.

Recently I sold my iPad and Dell Mini 12 laptop through OLX for very good price.
For iPad I got 3 buyers within 2 hours. I met the guy who first contacted me on one of the most crowded station in Mumbai. Deal was smooth and iPad was first Apple device for that guy. He was clue-less for using iTunes, suggested him iFunBox and that guy was more than happy.
For laptop, I got a local guy from same suburb. He was very genuine person working at Vijay Sales. Though had to bargain hard but got my price - Rs.200.

In between there were many spams. I generally do not provide phone number but this time I had provided and luckily experience turned out better, which was not in earlier cases where people call and make ridiculous offers.

I do not use quikr as I do not find it smooth enough as OLX is.

So general concesus seems olx is better than quikr but to get maximum eyeballs one should post their ad on both these websites.
Btw another troll with a different email id send reply on quikr as "send details". I bet it is the same guy as before and doing timepass.

So general concesus seems olx is better than quikr but to get maximum eyeballs one should post their ad on both these websites.
Btw another troll with a different email id send reply on quikr as "send details". I bet it is the same guy as before and doing timepass.

its hilarious to note that even after providing a great length of details and pics on our listings, people still respond back with such requests!

Would like some ideas as to which public places are recommended here ? Open or closed.

Closed means one or few exits whereas a train station is wide open. What do you do if somebody just snatches your mobile or other such portable electronic item.

Would like some ideas as to which public places are recommended here ? Open or closed.

Closed means one or few exits whereas a train station is wide open. What do you do if somebody just snatches your mobile or other such portable electronic item.

good point raised. better would be to get a friend accompany you. most of the times people do so in a hand-to-hand deal. and rightly, people should plan well on what location to choose. if somehow that couldn't be done, it would be good to meet at a crowded place (with enclosed sides, for e.g., a railway-station overbridge), where breaking away would be difficult.

Back