Your PC Picture

SunMysore said:
lol!!!! no HDD coolers, no HDD bays.....

the HDDs are just hanging for their dear life...and cant touch them while they are on...they get sooooo hottt....

gotta make a HDD cage...damn, keep forgetting!

SUN man cool your drives - they cannot take high temps. Mine are barely warm to touch. A couple of days back I took out one drive - had it on the table and ran it - it got HOT. So whatever I am doing inside the case is working !! :) My drive temp right now shown by MBM is 35C.

Put a fan in front of your drives - makes all the difference.

bottle , now i feel urs is the cleanest pc on TE.
Gr8 work bottle :clap:

& sunny , gr8 lighting there.

@Eazy u better start working on ur cabling management , cmon i know u can also do it ;)
Since u orignated this new fever on TE "Cable Management" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Eazy said:
I see you too have put an additional 120mm fan attached to the drive cage - this makes a big difference to my HDD CPU and Display card temps. Did you see a big drop in temps ?

One more point - I found in my case placing the HDD in the top most of the 4 slots was the coolest spot. You have kept your drive lower down. See if keeping the drive in the top slot makes a difference to you too - I saw I think about 3 - 5 C drop between the top slot and the lower one.

Attached Pic of spiral binding in use..... print it and show that to the shops :)
Hi Eazy, thanks for the tip on HDD placement. I'll change it next time I open that machine.

The second 120mm fan (Vantec Stealth) helped airflow a lot. Airflow in Sonata is not great unless you put that fan in. I removed the airfilters from the front also (your suggestion from another forum).

Just another question for hardware gurus. I have removed one PCI slot cover from the back of my case. My intention was to allow the hot air from the AGP card escape the case thru that empty space. Do you think it is a good idea?The temp of my graphics card (BFG 6600GT) is around 48-49 with room temp hitting 32 deg C.

^^ since i dont have any pci cards on my rig i used to remove the covers for all the pci slot on my case and run a exhaust fan there ;)

Count_Down said:
Just another question for hardware gurus. I have removed one PCI slot cover from the back of my case. My intention was to allow the hot air from the AGP card escape the case thru that empty space. Do you think it is a good idea?The temp of my graphics card (BFG 6600GT) is around 48-49 with room temp hitting 32 deg C.

YES !!! I did that too - removed the second PCI slot cover below the Display card - kept a thermometer behind the case and meeasured the temp of air coming out and the hottest air was coming out of the second cover below the Display card. This because the 120mm fans air flow hit the card and bounced the air in that direction. If you see my Pic at TE it shows this empty slot but now I have stopped doing this as my Audigy sound card was below the slot and MAN it was getting really full of muck coming in from the hole in the back. Since I closed it the sound card remains much less dirty. The Temp difference to the display card was only about 1 - 2C. Not important I feel.

I have kept one of the thermal probes my case came with under the heat sink of the Display card and this does get HOT ... around 40C - 48C. OUCH !!! Frankly I am secretly hoping that my display card - an old Geforce 4200Ti card dies so I can justify the purchase of a new hi-funda display card.

EDIT: About the placement of the HDD - measure the temp of the drive with MBM and see which is the coolest slot in your drive cage - this will depend on the way the air flows in your case. By the way I have cut out more than half of the bottom of each of the Antec HDD trays as they were keeping the drives too hot.

Offtopic: Guys, after playing around this much with your hardware, I wonder how much time you actually find to sit and use your PC :p

Anyway, after reading thru couple of pages of this discussion, I'm getting tempted towards opening up my box for the first time in two years. Wish me luck. ;)

Here is my effort...

Would have been great only if i had some sleeving for the PSU... My Cabby is too small... Still working on it...

Switch said:
Here is my effort...

Would have been great only if i had some sleeving for the PSU... My Cabby is too small... Still working on it...

Excellent effort there mate. Now if only i had a digicam to capture the insides :(.

Whoa ....Switch...thts very neat...........i cant c ur HDD cable ;)
done it backside-front, have u??

Rockyme2002 posted 1.25 minutes later:

Chaos said:
Now if only i had a digicam to capture the insides :(.

Same here:( ................or v wud hav seen sme competition to Bottle :tongue:

Rockyme2002 said:
Whoa ....Switch...thts very neat...........i cant c ur HDD cable ;)

done it backside-front, have u??
Rockyme2002 posted 1.25 minutes later:

Same here:( ................or v wud hav seen sme competition to Bottle :tongue:
Yes... HDD is done backside front... Good that its a SATA... Three things needed to make it uber cool... LED Fans & CCFL's... Side panel Window and some sleeveing

Switch said:
Here is my effort...

Good Job !!! :clap:

Whats the difference in CPU and Case temps before and after ?

Switch said:
Yes... HDD is done backside front... Good that its a SATA... Three things needed to make it uber cool... LED Fans & CCFL's... Side panel Window and some sleeveing
nice idea with the sata.. if only my cable was long enough for me to do the same :( i think if you tie up the mobo header wire a bit and get rid of the rear exhaust fan wire somehow you're all set :cool2:

bottle said:
nice idea with the sata.. if only my cable was long enough for me to do the same :(

A while back when I was at Lamington Road I was shown a new MSI MoBo and in the box was this extra long SATA cable - must be about 4 - 6 inches extra length. I asked to buy the cable and the man at the store refused I had to nearly go down on my knees begging for the cable - finally just to get rid of me the darned guy gave it to me for FREE :D

I think you use MSI boards - the cable I got is orange color. Is your cable of this extra length ? The plastic connector on this cable is very small compared to the ASUS one I have.

yeah thats the cable i m using , longer than usual but not long enough for me since i have to use the sata ports next to the cpu.. so have to route the wire all the way across the board and then to the hd.

bottle said:
yeah thats the cable i m using , longer than usual but not long enough for me since i have to use the sata ports next to the cpu.. so have to route the wire all the way across the board and then to the hd.

But then your case already looks so good that I would not worry about showing one inch of the SATA cable like in your setup :D

Back