YouTube tests disabling videos for people using ad blockers

Trying this out-
I mean this is good but another app to install and not to mention the plugin integrations would need their own updates. There will be times when certain things won't work and would need patching from time to time.
On the contrary since this is an app for mobile devices, the issue being discussed here is not affecting revanced at all. Only browsers with adblockers are detected, keeping ublock origin up to date helps. Haven't seen the popup since 2 days.

The problem isn't people NOT being able to afford 129/month. The problem is every single business wants to show increasing profits every quarter/year. This kind of cancerous growth can only collapse in on itself.
I understand, but this is youtube, very integral part of our daily life. As a business obviously they want more profit every year and its somewhat justifiable, the amount of videos youtube have and they keep on increasing, the server cost and what not must be insane.

But usually in these scenarios if something goes subscription based, what's the first thing people do? They go to open source stuff, but there is nothing in the open source space in this case, there is odysee, but no one uses that, cause it's not up to the level.

People want their service but they don't want their rules and there is no alternative. Running ad block is probably not an ethical thing to do, but a script kiddy wouldn't care, because they have all the time in the world to keep fighting with the ads. People who have less time should just pay and move on in this case.

If it was some news website that went pay per page, nobody would care cause there are many other sites. But youtube is completely different ball game.

Google has all the cards.

Anyone experiencing less ads?

I turned off the ad-blocker and have been using Youtube for a day; would've watched about 10 or so videos. There's been only one skip-able ad on each so far. Last I remember is getting 3 ads in the beginning (2 not skip-able) and sometimes +2 in between.

One way to bypass the timer is to refresh the page when the timer screen appears, and it will disappear. This way, you can save 3 seconds. Hahaha!

@Heisen It absolutely blows my mind that you think Google won't do what all the other companies already did.
(If you thought I attached a blurred image in that post to make it appear as a paywall, click on it to reveal the text and please read the rest of my post)

...a script kiddy wouldn't care, because they have all the time in the world to keep fighting with the ads
I know you're too busy to "fight", but I wish you had time to look up the meaning of that term before carelessly throwing it around.

People who have less time should just pay and move on in this case.
You're absolutely right that's what some people will do. These are the same people who still use FB and WhatsApp because it's "convenient", "no alternative", "everyone uses it"... if they don't care about ads they certainly won't care about privacy. And people like this are precisely what Google wants. A mindless populace that's so "busy", they do as they are told.

You, today: Oh Google is so indispensable. Watch: "Hey Google, remind me to do that thing"
Google: Ok Heisen, I've set a reminder

Google tomorrow: Hey Heisen, you need to pay 10k per month to be able to access all our services
You: Ok daddy

Anyone experiencing less ads?

I turned off the ad-blocker and have been using Youtube for a day; would've watched about 10 or so videos. There's been only one skip-able ad on each so far. Last I remember is getting 3 ads in the beginning (2 not skip-able) and sometimes +2 in between.
Basically priming up to show more.

Though for anyone who wants an ad, banner and Google free check out my previous post. There are alternative front ends to Youtube, twitter etc. I normally prefer those unless I need something which needs the actual frontend.

@Heisen It absolutely blows my mind that you think Google won't do what all the other companies already did.
(If you thought I attached a blurred image in that post to make it appear as a paywall, click on it to reveal the text and please read the rest of my post)

I know you're too busy to "fight", but I wish you had time to look up the meaning of that term before carelessly throwing it around.

You're absolutely right that's what some people will do. These are the same people who still use FB and WhatsApp because it's "convenient", "no alternative", "everyone uses it"... if they don't care about ads they certainly won't care about privacy. And people like this are precisely what Google wants. A mindless populace that's so "busy", they do as they are told.

You, today: Oh Google is so indispensable. Watch: "Hey Google, remind me to do that thing"

Google tomorrow: Hey Heisen, you need to pay 10k per month to be able to access all our services
10k a month vs 129 a month, huge difference no?

If you use the family plan the total cost comes out to 1 rupee per day for one user.

Considering there is YouTube music included this is probably the only subscription out there that makes some sense.

Anyways,

You expect they should just give you everything for free.

YouTube is free, earlier there were very less ads , now there are a lot. That’s the only difference.

So google is pushing users towards getting premium, no doubt. You wanna pay or not is in your hands.

Even when there were less ads on YouTube, people were still using ad block, so it’s not really a question of more vs less ads for the average joe.

Things went south in joe’s world when google said they won’t tolerate ad block users anymore.

Joe just doesn’t wanna see any ads at all, but he is not gonna pay for it. Even when it costs less than what he spends on eating on the weekend.

But joe will use a script to bypass the ads.

Joe thinks if he gives 129 a month to a company who has no competitor by the way, the world is gonna fall apart.

Joe thinks, if he uses a script to block ad, he is contributing in the right step to save the world from these bad organisations and teach them a lesson.

Joe thinks if he gives 129 a month to a company who has no competitor by the way, the world is gonna fall apart.
People will pay when they have no option left. Unless the alternatives die, adblockers completely fail to work and even then people can't stand seeing ads then they'll eventually pay.

Man I'm really liking this "Joe" dude, wish could be more like him. Clearly big bad corporation thinks Joe is a threat, otherwise they wouldn't be doing all this.

The problem is not paying 31.5rs / mo for premium, it's how they keep treating paying customers. You pay 189rs/mo for family plan, but then youtube says no sharing across households, so the 31.5rs suddenly becomes 129rs (a la Netflix). Then they introduce a premium pro plan, which gives more benefits, but basic premium has a few ads now (hotstar). After a few months, they introduce rentals that give you access to premium creators (Youtube red, Prime video rentals).

Google is notorious for reneging on their pricing promises, I have been a paid Google Suite enterprise user for a while, and later had to move to Google workspace. Each move came with a price increase and a reduction on features (storage, for example). Look up YouTube TV and how they've raised the prices continuously in the states.

Google also removed the Youtube Lite plan that they had in certain EU countries.

But please, won't anyone please think of poor Google.

(I say all this, but I am also paying for Youtube Premium, mostly because my family is not savvy enough to run vanced, and don't want to login to vanced with their primary accounts, but also the fact that I'm fine with the current pricing, as I do understand they need to generate revenue)

Edit: This just in https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-up-to-17-amid-new-contracts-licensing-costs/ , netflix raising prices.

Last edited:

I don't know about others but I don't care about ads but I care about privacy.

10k a month vs 129 a month, huge difference no?

If you use the family plan the total cost comes out to 1 rupee per day for one user.

Considering there is YouTube music included this is probably the only subscription out there that makes some sense.

Anyways,

You expect they should just give you everything for free.

YouTube is free, earlier there were very less ads , now there are a lot. That’s the only difference.

So google is pushing users towards getting premium, no doubt. You wanna pay or not is in your hands.

Even when there were less ads on YouTube, people were still using ad block, so it’s not really a question of more vs less ads for the average joe.

Things went south in joe’s world when google said they won’t tolerate ad block users anymore.

Joe just doesn’t wanna see any ads at all, but he is not gonna pay for it. Even when it costs less than what he spends on eating on the weekend.

Joe thinks, if he uses a script to block ad, he is contributing in the right step to save the world from these bad organisations and teach them a lesson.

I love this post. People are greedy and entitled. When big corporations do it, they are evil, when normal people do it, it's perfectly acceptable.

You're missing the whole point of my long post. ze_cook has tried to explain it again above.
And please read properly, 10k was not just fot YT, but their entire ecosystem, including (currently) free services like Sheets/Documents/Photo/Drive/Gmail/Maps... etc.

And more importantly: you seem to be under the delusion that non paying Google users are broke freeloaders taking advantage of Google's benevolent charity.
You couldn't be more wrong. Every single user is trading their personal info for GServices. We ARE the product. You are ignorant of not only the value of privacy, but also what G can do with all that personal data. So please get off your high horse and reevaluate the situation. You claim you're too busy to use a "script" (which only takes seconds, and updates automatically) but you certainly seem to have a lot of time to defend G blindly.

Why do you think FB/Insta/WhatsApp is free? Because it's profitable inspite of giving you a "free" service and sell your data to others.

So now G wants our data AND wants us to pay them? We've become product^2 lol. A paywall implies you're always logged in, and they can profile you more accurately. And G did this policy change unilaterally. That's the whole point. Netflix one day decided it wanted more money and said no family sharing.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People are greedy and entitled. When big corporations do it, they are evil, when normal people do it, it's perfectly acceptable.
A poor auto driver asks more money than the meter shows and it is a punishable offence.
A huge corp like Uber, Swiggy, Zomato etc introduce surge pricing and it is innovative, "supply & demand bro...you don't understand economics"
If the corps do it, it is not a crime, understood.

Ninja edit: and why do you think Microsoft lets you use Windows without ever activating?
And do you believe after buying a license, MS will stop collecting "telemetry"

I am just gonna focus on youtube for now, not the rest of the google ecosystem, that is out of the scope, and does not promote quality debate, since thread is focused on youtube premium.

In my opinion google will do the same move that jio did, capture the market with lower prices then raise them up slowly. Classic economics 101.

But they know they are dealing with India here, where extracting huge money from people is not that easy, due to our ethics regarding money.

They will eventually raise prices, but there will be a tipping point where their profit will start to decrease as oppose to increase with higher price, because people will know that at this price it's not worth it and they will cancel subscription. It's not like once you become a member you will always remain a member, google knows that.

Then they will know at this particular lower price we are able get more users which in turn gives us more profit than oppose to higher price with less users.

It will balance out. It's not gonna constantly rise up. Our higher population will give us benefit in this case.

Whatever that is happening in other countries regarding youtube premium is not our problem.

Our goal is whether paying 129 a month gives us a seamless youtube ad free experience or not. If it does we should go for it, if it doesn't then it's not worth it.

So currently in India with premium there are no ads. We should stop worrying about premium pro or basic premium they don't exist yet or they might never will. When they do exist in future people will back out obviously, they are not dumb to continue paying.

I don't understand what the fuss is about getting peoples data, google has been doing this since the beginning its not like they just started doing it right now. It's been out there for quite a while and what has happened to you, me or anyone, nothing our lives are playing out exactly they way they are meant to be.

At this point almost everything is collecting our data in one way or another. So what should be done? Should we stop using these services? Think about it how will you survive if you stop using whatsapp tomorrow? The benefit of using whatsapp far out weighs whatever data hording or profiling they are doing on us. It is as simple as that.

You claim you're too busy to use a "script" (which only takes seconds, and updates automatically) but you certainly seem to have a lot of time to defend G blindly.
Hehehe.

I am just gonna focus on youtube for now, not the rest of the google ecosystem, that is out of the scope, and does not promote quality debate, since thread is focused on youtube premium.

In my opinion google will do the same move that jio did, capture the market with lower prices then raise them up slowly. Classic economics 101.

But they know they are dealing with India here, where extracting huge money from people is not that easy, due to our ethics regarding money.

They will eventually raise prices, but there will be a tipping point where their profit will start to decrease as oppose to increase with higher price, because people will know that at this price it's not worth it and they will cancel subscription. It's not like once you become a member you will always remain a member, google knows that.

Then they will know at this particular lower price we are able get more users which in turn gives us more profit than oppose to higher price with less users.

It will balance out. It's not gonna constantly rise up. Our higher population will give us benefit in this case.

Whatever that is happening in other countries regarding youtube premium is not our problem.

Our goal is whether paying 129 a month gives us a seamless youtube ad free experience or not. If it does we should go for it, if it doesn't then it's not worth it.

So currently in India with premium there are no ads. We should stop worrying about premium pro or basic premium they don't exist yet or they might never will. When they do exist in future people will back out obviously, they are not dumb to continue paying.

I don't understand what the fuss is about getting peoples data, google has been doing this since the beginning its not like they just started doing it right now. It's been out there for quite a while and what has happened to you, me or anyone, nothing our lives are playing out exactly they way they are meant to be.

At this point almost everything is collecting our data in one way or another. So what should be done? Should we stop using these services? Think about it how will you survive if you stop using whatsapp tomorrow? The benefit of using whatsapp far out weighs whatever data hording or profiling they are doing on us. It is as simple as that.

Hehehe.

Totally agree with this. While 15 years ago I was happily rooting and jailbreaking phones and trying out new stuff, being nearly 40 and trying to find time from work and family, Google’s (or for that matter anyone else’s) data collection is the least of our worries. Most people have some version of AI assistant in their homes, and tons of corporate or personal information is already being shared via your phone (heck, your workplace is probably spying on you with consent - all those authorization apps and time logging apps and what not).
In the current scenario, YT premium is just the cheapest OTT option with maximum content, and after being split with many family members- each ensuring profiles and recommendations stay unique, the sheer value is unparalleled.
Compare this to the super ****up that is Sony LIV. I’m a premium member and still “enjoy” ads (for reality shows).

Hehehe.
The irony is, the people who cry foul, complain about data hoarding and give the finger to these "evil corporations", are the ones who use their services on a daily basis. Being two-faced knows no bounds.

Yeah I'm not gonna disable my adblocker, ever.

The irony is, the people who cry foul, complain about data hoarding and give the finger to these "evil corporations", are the ones who use their services on a daily basis. Being two-faced knows no bounds.
image.png

Show me ONE multiplex that doesn't show ads.

That is where this is headed. Whether you agree or not that is irrelevant. When Google does do this, you will not come to anyone's aid, so your assurance that this can never happen is worth nothing.

Google: Removes "Do no evil"
PunkX 75: This is fine, they are the goodest corp ever because they give me free service. I'm totally gonna ignore the fact that they have access to my entire online identity. Also how dare you call out Google! I'm also ignoring how G wants to own the internet.

Compare this to the super ****up that is Sony LIV. I’m a premium member and still “enjoy” ads (for reality shows).
As long as they find customers like you who will roll over to any demands, they will keep increasing ads. What will a 40 year old do: give up those platforms or admit defeat and give in? We're addicted to media consumption at this point.

PunkX 75: This is fine, they are the goodest corp ever because they give me free service. I'm totally gonna ignore the fact that they have access to my entire online identity. Also how dare you call out Google! I'm also ignoring how G wants to own the internet.
I'm not defending anyone, I'm calling it the way it is, plain and simple.

Data protection in the country is a joke as it is. The only way one can stay righteous to their data-protection self is to live like a hermit, use a dumb phone, and stay in isolation. How many people would be willing to do that? You're on Techenclave, they've already collected your data in the form of your email.

I like how this discussion is going. Some has accepted the fact that all their data is for evil corp while others are trying to hold on to what they can keep it to themselves.
I am in the latter group.
Brave, firefox + unlock, revanced this is what I use. Let's see when this cat and mouse game ends.

been using 'enhancer for youtube' extension on my browsers (PC), and saw this prompt about allowing ads only yesterday, that too randomly on some videos. refreshing the page couple of times showed it no more.

Back