YouTube tests disabling videos for people using ad blockers

6pack

ex-Mod
Source: The Verge

YouTube is throwing a major wrench into video playback for viewers who are using ad blockers. The company has confirmed to The Verge that it’s currently running “a small experiment globally that urges viewers with ad blockers enabled to allow ads on YouTube or try YouTube Premium.”

The statement comes after some people began noticing a new prompt warning that video playback could be cut off if YouTube detects repeated use of ad blocking tools. Android Authority earlier reported on those tests, which prevent viewers from watching more than three videos when an ad blocker is active.
Did you see such a message asking you to turn off your adblocker? I usually use newpipe or the official app to watch videos. So can't verify. Tried in chrome browser with ublock origin and still got ads.

I'm using premium so no. Also you should really consider premium. It's relatively cheap in India. around 200 for 6 people. It's 100% worth it. I've been using it for so long that I sometimes forget YT has ads. Whenever I use my friends YT and see ad then I'm like 'oh yeah YT has ads' (also not sponsored by YT premium)

Well i use adguard dns on my android so no ads on youtube there and I haven't seen any prompt against it as yet..
But the challenge has been on the chromecast hd, just yesterday i have installed *smarttube* app, it's a standalone app that mimics youtube but no adverts..
Haven't added my account as yet... And no adverts there... ( no idea how safe it is though)

Source: The Verge

Did you see such a message asking you to turn off your adblocker? I usually use newpipe or the official app to watch videos. So can't verify. Tried in chrome browser with ublock origin and still got ads.
There has been a lot of issues with SmartTubeNext concerning video source over the past few weeks which I assume is down to the some experimentation by YouTube. Switched to the official app anyway now on TV as I have YouTube Premium.

I'm using premium so no. Also you should really consider premium. It's relatively cheap in India. around 200 for 6 people. It's 100% worth it. I've been using it for so long that I sometimes forget YT has ads. Whenever I use my friends YT and see ad then I'm like 'oh yeah YT has ads' (also not sponsored by YT premium)
Even if I were paying for premium, I'd still prefer using smarttubenext on my TV as the official app is absolute shit compared to this one. STN adds so many features and the interface is so much nicer than the official that I can't even imagine going back to the official app.

Agree. YT Premium with shared accounts is cheap. I've had the same experience - been using it for so long that I forgot YT has ads. And saw ads at a friend's place just yesterday. They're unbearable.

Youtube has really gone down the toilet in last 5-6 years.
Really? I think it has literally exploded in that time, especially for local content

Before it was mostly for tech-related stuff, these days the scope has become 10x if not more. I can't imagine not using it now

I don't like the comments policy as leaving a comment can be a pain as it can be removed if it isn't worded right. The censorship on creators is there too and Rumble isn't quite there yet.

In India YT premium annual costs as much as one month of ISP internet.

Rs.1,290 annually. Who knows what the inflation on that will be?

In the US it is $120 annually per individual. 7x more expensive.

In the UK closer to 10x more expensive

Last edited:
In the US it is $120 annually per individual. 7x more expensive.

In the UK closer to 10x more expensive
Most Indians don't nearly make as much as them for the same work, done locally, so its not 1:1.
yt obviously has done well but experience on it has gone down the drain esp since last year or so i think.

---------------------
Anyway, till some time back yt ads weren't so bad and not as often and so i never even considered blocking them.
And somehow did not think about it even when they became very annoying, habit i guess.

This thread just woke up my stupid brain, now i don't have to watch those garbage rummy ads anymore. Fk em.

I use premium. It costs RS 30 per month right now in a family plan for one account.

I see no ads on my phone, iPad, TV so that's a huge advantage plus free YouTube music.

In my opinion, any website which is serving too many ads should not be used at all. I stopped visiting The Hindu a long time ago because of their cancerous ads. People should stop watching YouTube too if ads are a problem. YouTube is already bad according to many so why not avoid it at all.

Facebook on the other hand has really good ads, no way to block them and snips from pirated movies are regularly uploaded for a quick time pass. It also has tons of magical remedies related to ayurveda/homopathy curing c to c (Cough to cancer, that's what these practitioners say) so it is a better platform for the masses.
Youtube will not show you such life changing videos unless you follow guys such as beer biceps and shit tuber.

I use premium. It costs RS 30 per month right now in a family plan for one account.

I see no ads on my phone, iPad, TV so that's a huge advantage plus free YouTube music.

In my opinion, any website which is serving too many ads should not be used at all. I stopped visiting The Hindu a long time ago because of their cancerous ads. People should stop watching YouTube too if ads are a problem. YouTube is already bad according to many so why not avoid it at all.

Facebook on the other hand has really good ads, no way to block them and snips from pirated movies are regularly uploaded for a quick time pass. It also has tons of magical remedies related to ayurveda/homopathy curing c to c (Cough to cancer, that's what these practitioners say) so it is a better platform for the masses.
Youtube will not show you such life changing videos unless you follow guys such as beer biceps and shit tuber.
Youtube premium music is all one needs for music. Some very rare albums of Tracy Huang were hard to find, I found her entire discog on yt music and I was sold.

So its rummy/ludo vs homeo/ayurveda.
I dont use facebook, so did not know about that. There really should be some reasonable regulations around adverts, otherwise maybe if adverts become hyper local we might start seeing bengali baba ads too. All of these companies are making money off frauds indirectly. Dont be evil is long forgotten. Algo/AI becomes an excuse to avoid responsibility ( Read some news about some monkey torture vids getting popular on yt and yt did nothing and ignored reports until it blew up ).

I wasn't talking about Ads in context of health videos, I was talking about the content. Facebook and YouTube are full of Auyrveda/homeo content but YouTube algo is far better in recommending what I want to see and facebook just dumps everything, even adult content.

Facebook ads are really good and I also use Facebook because of good relevant ads. YouTube ads are totally irrelevant for me.
I have bought some really good products because of nice facebook ads.

Content is irrelevant, a waste of time on facebook but ads are good.
Content is relevant and great on YouTube but ads are irrelevant and annoying.

Back