YouTube tests disabling videos for people using ad blockers

been using 'enhancer for youtube' extension on my browsers (PC), and saw this prompt about allowing ads only yesterday, that too randomly on some videos. refreshing the page couple of times showed it no more.
It's a cat and mouse game with adblockers for now. Google keeps updating and so does the adblocker lists.

10k a month vs 129 a month, huge difference no?

If you use the family plan the total cost comes out to 1 rupee per day for one user.

Considering there is YouTube music included this is probably the only subscription out there that makes some sense.

Anyways,

You expect they should just give you everything for free.

YouTube is free, earlier there were very less ads , now there are a lot. That’s the only difference.

So google is pushing users towards getting premium, no doubt. You wanna pay or not is in your hands.

Even when there were less ads on YouTube, people were still using ad block, so it’s not really a question of more vs less ads for the average joe.

Things went south in joe’s world when google said they won’t tolerate ad block users anymore.

Joe just doesn’t wanna see any ads at all, but he is not gonna pay for it. Even when it costs less than what he spends on eating on the weekend.

But joe will use a script to bypass the ads.

Joe thinks if he gives 129 a month to a company who has no competitor by the way, the world is gonna fall apart.

Joe thinks, if he uses a script to block ad, he is contributing in the right step to save the world from these bad organisations and teach them a lesson.

on another front:

Joe invested Rs10 in google stock, keeps staring at it to see it go sky high.

expecting everyone to spend hours everyday troubleshooting TVs (almost zero watching on laptop), iPads, setting up pihole or what not is just sheer stupidity.
I have install custom open source player for youtube on my TV and I barely had to spend 10 minutes to set it up.

i have to point out this topic isn't about free vs premium. It's specifically about adblocker blockers on free YT. Instead of discussing that topic some here are flexing their ability to spend 129/month

DNS level adblocking does not affect youtube.
I see. Does it block ads that some smart TVs show?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. Does it block ads that some smart TVs show?
It depends how deep they are integrated. If blocking them won't break features then adlists do have filters otherwise gotta keep them.
Adlists block most ads on the web, mobile apps etc. Even ads in some video platforms such as hotstar.

Please share details for WebOS or TVOS.
Unfortunately I have not done anything like this on WebOS or TVOS. But if you have Firestick then you can install an app to access Youtube without ads.
i have to point out this topic isn't about free vs premium. It's specifically about adblocker blockers on free YT. Instead of discussing that topic some here are flexing their ability to spend 129/month
There's also no guarantee that Google will never have ads on paid plans. Netflix has started out ad-supported plans now in few countries.

Chasing growth and profit every quarter means these companies will keep making the service worse to squeeze money out of customers anyhow.

Precisely. People watching Satellite TV are already paying for the channel AND watching ads. OTTs want to do the same.

Right now Swiggy is showing me ads for Croma, Netflix, some Tooth Aligner thingy, Cricket betting, DJ night, some talk shows, Instant loan, credit card and home maintenance services.
Why the F is a food delivery app showing all these unrelated ads?
Answer: Never ending desire for profits, in spite of having already paid for their subscription
Next they may show unskippable video ads before letting you order

There's also no guarantee that Google will never have ads on paid plans.
Isn't that the problem of the future, if jio 666 plan becomes 1000 rupee plan in future, would any one stop using the 666 plan in the present? I guess not.

Why jeopardize the present in worry of the future, specially in case when you can not predict when that bad thing is going to happen.

The problem we are fighting against is not even in its final form, so it seems better to handle it in chunks rather than to contemplate the future outcomes and attempt to fix it right now.

So the gist of the matter is, in terms of time and energy there is no better solution than paying 129 a month. But time and energy is relative term -

so one may see that using adblock is better, "I just have to do few clicks once in a while and the problem is gone, for that it requires my attention, so what, it's not a problem for me."

The other side may think it in terms of "I don't want do anything related to youtube ads anymore, if setting up 129 deduction per month fixes it for once and for all (* until it stays at 129), so be it."

Last edited:

Some people getting this now.I think even i got it on FF but hit the x button and ignored it. On Chrome, i keep getting the original Adblockers are not allowed message before every video and i hit the x button everytime and the video plays.

yt-block2.jpg

Some people getting this now.I think even i got it on FF but hit the x button and ignored it. On Chrome, i keep getting the original Adblockers are not allowed message before every video and i hit the x button everytime and the video plays.

View attachment 180924
I can confirm, I keep getting alternatively on Brave Browser.
Hitting on close, resumes the video again.

Precisely. People watching Satellite TV are already paying for the channel AND watching ads. OTTs want to do the same.

Right now Swiggy is showing me ads for Croma, Netflix, some Tooth Aligner thingy, Cricket betting, DJ night, some talk shows, Instant loan, credit card and home maintenance services.
Why the F is a food delivery app showing all these unrelated ads?
Answer: Never ending desire for profits, in spite of having already paid for their subscription
Next they may show unskippable video ads before letting you order
Swiggy also has "platform fees" on every order. So, you pay for subscription + increased price for food (you can compare prices in restaurant vs Swiggy) + platform fees and cherry on top - see ads.

You don't need an app. Just look at my previous post. There is an alternative frontend for YT:

The extension supports redirecting links to FreeTube as well - apart from other services.

Swiggy also has "platform fees" on every order. So, you pay for subscription + increased price for food (you can compare prices in restaurant vs Swiggy) + platform fees and cherry on top - see ads.
Oh yeah forgot about platform fee for every transaction.

No matter how small the extra charge is, when dealing with volume transactions, the total builds up really high. Same reason some fast foods decided to charge for every single ketchup packets: is literally free money for them

As I like the Youtube search much better than Invidious, I turned off the extension and behold got 3 strikes. so, now the account is banned, at least on Firefox. But works on Chrome. It is full time extension from here on out.
2023-10-26 23_59_37-Evan Almighty - Opportunity to be patient - YouTube — Mozilla Firefox.png

As I like the Youtube search much better than Invidious, I turned off the extension and behold got 3 strikes. so, now the account is banned, at least on Firefox. But works on Chrome. It is full time extension from here on out.
you're not banned, it's just the detected adblock/extension on firefox.
Use uBlock origin (primary solution) with AdGuard Annoyances filter list (optional but works as backup solution).

Also here's a website which keeps track if uBlock origin's own filter lists are updated to take care of this matter or not: https://drhyperion451.github.io/does-uBO-bypass-yt/

The problem isn't people NOT being able to afford 129/month. The problem is every single business wants to show increasing profits every quarter/year. This kind of cancerous growth can only collapse in on itself.
It might as well collapse on itself …considering its YT and the ilk that killed quality long form content to the extent that kids and young folks these days simply do not want to read, or subject themselves to the horrors of objective data ..

After all, Consumption of ill researched and low quality video content (and even better, shorts!) is so much easier and fun till, well, as long as the format does not contain text

Even within tech, compare the depth of research that say an anandtech , Tom’s hardware or even TE used to have not too long ago vs the inane and ill informed junk that’s peddled by influencers now.

I guess it was fun all along till it remained limited to cute cat videos and look at where we are now!

So yeah, in some sense, its actually good to see this .. Until then, might as well pay up till hopefully sanity prevails

you're not banned, it's just the detected adblock/extension on firefox.
Use uBlock origin (primary solution) with AdGuard Annoyances filter list (optional but works as backup solution).

Also here's a website which keeps track if uBlock origin's own filter lists are updated to take care of this matter or not: https://drhyperion451.github.io/does-uBO-bypass-yt/
You are correct. For some reason it was detecting adblock on Firefox but not on Chrome. I am using ublock on both so it seems the filter list wasn't updated on Firefox.

But then this is a cat and mouse game trying to check if the filters are updated is tiring. The only issue I had with Libredirect redirecting Youtube to Invidious was that it applied to whole site. So, I couldn't use Youtube search to find videos. So I wrote a Tampermonkey script - using ChatGPT - to use Invidious to only play YT videos. If not playing videos, I can still use Youtube to search and look at my subscriptions.

Back