ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

I bought the 6 pack of OSF screen guards from Ebay UK.

AWESOME stuff, really. I put in one, scratched the screen rather badly with my key or something in my pockets, so removed it and installed another. lol I'd recommend that to anybody who's in for screen protectors.

Easy to apply, super clear and completely satisfied!! 6 guards for 230 bucks, now there's a real deal.

I also got the Nilkin grey case from stephuno in Ebay UK, super buy as well. I think that was around 4 pounds, shipped.

Today morning my blade was DEAD !!

Last night i was watching a 20 min video and fell asleep while video still on. The wifi was also on and the battery was about 50% last i saw. When I woke up, the phone was OFF and trying to turn it ON did absolutely nothing. I removed the battery several times but nothing happened. I kept it to charge and saw "back" key red LED. After 10 mins i remove the charger and try again several with no success. I attach it to the comp and again only red stable led. I hunt on modaco and after reading, first i tried the vol - key with power>>nothing. Then both volume keys with battery removed and then attaching USB....the screen's OFF but the comp detects an unrecognized USB device. I detach it and put the battery back and remove SD card. It gets ON normally. I put back the SD card and its all back to normal. After sometime, i reboot and its all good. But i am worried after this episode. I am running FLB froyo and its as stable as it can get. Never reboots while doing anything and no problems. :(

EDIT: Can this phone be bricked permanently?? Have you people read anywhere about anyones blade dying...like forever?

^^ I dont think it was dead in morning, just that battery was completely discharged. If the battery is (almost) fully discharged then whenever you make attempts to boot the phone, the red back key LED glows which is expected. Only keeping the phone charging for like half an hour would have brought it to life.

Btw what is it that you are worried about ?? Reboots ? That may or may not happen, but with FLB or SS versions, i does not happen. Only with CM7 it does.

Are you concerned about the battery falling from 50% to nothing with just the video ?? Possibly the video was running in loop, not sure if the player you are using has some thing type of setting.

Also video obviously tends to eat battery. Wifi On may have to do something.

^^Sirjee, when finally my phone turned back ON, the battery was good 52%. This after 10 mins of charging so my guess would be 40s when it died. And i always watch some 20 min sitcom when trying to sleep so i know how my video player(VitalPlayer) works. Its never in loop. Every morning i would wake up with the screen locked and upon unlocking i would see the video file list inside the player.

^^Oh Ok Ok. Then it is a case of ROM acting weird then. Just see if something similar crops up again and if yes then i guess it will time to switch the ROM. Recommended is SS latest release.

I have used CM7 also but never found any noticeable improvements so came back to SS.

I feel that since CM7 is 2.3, there is all this hype about it.

JT_daniel said:
I bought the 6 pack of OSF screen guards from Ebay UK.

AWESOME stuff, really. I put in one, scratched the screen rather badly with my key or something in my pockets, so removed it and installed another. lol I'd recommend that to anybody who's in for screen protectors.

Easy to apply, super clear and completely satisfied!! 6 guards for 230 bucks, now there's a real deal.

I also got the Nilkin grey case from stephuno in Ebay UK, super buy as well. I think that was around 4 pounds, shipped.
Good that you are satisfied with your purchase, but the fact that you scratched the screen(or protector) while screen protector was applied, itseld speaks about the quality of product. The Nilkin grey case is a very good buy, it fits exactly and quality is also good.

bigbyte said:
Good that you are satisfied with your purchase, but the fact that you scratched the screen(or protector) while screen protector was applied, itseld speaks about the quality of product. The Nilkin grey case is a very good buy, it fits exactly and quality is also good.
Well, can't really fault the screen protector, since I found out that the scratch was not due to keys, but the phone had actually been hit on the edge of a desk by my sister, which left a weird kind of mark (bump really) on the guard. In my opinion, protecting the screen is what the product is supposed to do and it did it perfectly. Though I hope the touch screen isn't damaged in any way, it's been normal till now..

I've had a bad experiences with the 350 bucks ScratchGuard and the cheap 50 bucks Omnia ones, but from my experience, these are the best (and cheapest).

I agree with you about the Nilkin cases, but my only gripe is that on the day of delivery, I see new Softiz cases out which look way better. :(

Merged

Aha, you've bought the Scratchguard? Well well, the package which I bought came with an absolute ill fitting guard (longer), which even covered the ear-speaker! It very obviously wasn't for the Dell XCD 35, though the cover said so. The shopkeeper refused to take it back and told me to contact the Scratchguard company, who when contacted gave me one of the most frustrating and annoying experiences I've ever had. I was transfered from one person to the other for like 30 minutes (STD call too.. ) before the person finally told me that the product could not be defective and that I was mistaken. I literally blew up and hung up, promising myself never to buy from that company again.

So much for laser cut screen guards. From my experience, and I've owned both this and the one I got from Ebay (Chinese 6x as you call them) and there is no difference in clarity. No rainbow effect at all. Maybe you've had a bad experience with the chinese ones, but I've had a similar experience with the ScratchGuard ones too.

6 x screen protector for Orange ZTE Blade - eBay (item 280603527382 end time May-12-11 03:11:53 PDT)

These were the ones I got.

About the battery issue, i don't think it has anything to do with the rom. I've noticed that with certain phones/batteries it lets the battery discharge completely. Following which the phone will seem dead until it reaches a certain threshold level. Good designs do not allow the phone to discharge the battery below a certain level like say 2 or 3%.

In Aladdin's case probably somehow the phone completely discharged while he was asleep. I've been freaked out like this a couple times too, then realised that it was just a flat battery. Sometimes it takes half to one hour to show anything, even a charging indicator.

bigbyte said:
I think what he meant is he scratched the first protector and then changed it for another one.

Guys, Since the last few days i am having a weird issue with my Blade.

Sometimes, the touch screen becomes unresponsive. It doesn't register touch and i cant even power the phone off. Sometimes, if i touch at the left hand corner, the touch is registered at right side. I try some clicks, lock unlock cycles and then somehow get the phone to restart. Once rebooted, the phone works fine!

I googled and found some digitizer issues for lots of Touchscreen phones. Is this affecting my phone as well? Should i go for replacement or is there an alternative way out?

Did try going back to some old Nandroid backups but that did'nt help. And its not frequent, only once in a day or two.

Any ideas would help.

@clown_abhi

My OSF had developed 3-4 stuck white pixels. I sent it back with the same friend who brought it from london. He called Orange and they sent a replacement handset to his house and took back the old one. Note that it was bought from prepaymania but orange still handled the replacement. Prepaymania had requested that we send in the entire package, box and accessories to them. orange sent just the handset, no microsd, battery or back cover even. but the screen had a protector sheet on it. that's how warranties are supposed to work. unlike here where they try their best NOT to honour it saying you spoiled it, dropped it, in water etc.

I bought OSF recently. Please tell me which ROM should i install?? I want a stable one.. since i am not gonna change it frequently. Also i am new to android.. i want to ask installing new rom each time will wipe my data, contacts and messages???

ashu said:
I bought OSF recently. Please tell me which ROM should i install?? I want a stable one.. since i am not gonna change it frequently. Also i am new to android.. i want to ask installing new rom each time will wipe my data, contacts and messages???
My vote goes to Swedish Spring RLS5 ROM. You can install that. Also after ROM installation, you need to enter you gmail id so that your phone gets linked to your google account and then you can always sync your contacts / contacts with gmail so that next time if you install new ROM they will come back when synced again.
And yes installing ROM wont wipe your data / cache by default, you will have to do it yourself. If you are upgrading from say SS RLS5 ROM to SS RLS6 (whenever it comes) you may not need but say you install FLB ROM over SS then you should wipe.

I'd vote for the SS RLS5 too. Totally stable, super fast and bug free. The FLB one is good too, but the SS RLS5 was much better for me for GPS and Wifi. Dunno if it was just me or a generic observation.

JT_daniel said:
I'd vote for the SS RLS5 too. Totally stable, super fast and bug free. The FLB one is good too, but the SS RLS5 was much better for me for GPS and Wifi. Dunno if it was just me or a generic observation.

can u give me link to download this rom?

Back