ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

I have booked a dell xcd 35 from letsbuy. Am interested to explore different features of these roms without voiding warranty, can i backup my existing rom and root the device ?

Can i install the dell xcd 35 rom back to it if i need to claim warranty ?

Thanks

i am downloading from this link [ROM] [froyo] Swedish Spring RLS5 [2011-04-19] [OLED+TFT] [Gen1][Gen2] - Android @ MoDaCo is it correct?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

raksrules said:
^^Since you seem to be new to this ROM installation thing (apologies if i am mistaken) i strong recommend you check out modaco and explore that site for more details in ROMs. Here is the link...

ZTE Blade ROMs & ROM customisation - Android @ MoDaCo
no you are correct... I am new to this.... I need ur help guys!! :)

haritr said:
I have booked a dell xcd 35 from letsbuy. Am interested to explore different features of these roms without voiding warranty, can i backup my existing rom and root the device ?

Thanks
Yes you can and must take backup of the stock ROM !

@ashu, thats correct. After that install Quadrant and compare with others.

haritr said:

Thanks
Modding does void warranty, but if you take a backup of your stock rom you can always restore it before sending it for any repairs/warranty claim. I'd suggest you go through the link whick Raksrules has posted above. Read through all the stickied posts in Modaco and get a rough idea of the modding process before getting the phone. That way you'll be more confident in modding the phone and will less likely brick it. :)

@ashu, post any queries about modding/roms here and we'll try our best to help you or atleast rout you to the correct thread in Modaco. Modding can be a real awesome thing, but you've got to be cautious and follow each step to the dot 'cos if something goes wrong you always have the small chance of bricking your phone.
And guys, its absolutely incredible but after my upgrading to SS RLS5 from RLS4, my battery stats were wiped and I had to do the recalibration all over again. And now, it's at an incredible 2d 8h 6m 36s since unplugged, with current battery at 12%. That's an insane 56 hours and still counting! With RLS4 + Recalibration done, I only got around 40-45 hours on an average (46 hours max, if I remember right). Kalt_kaffe is absolutely incredible!!

@jt_daniel: do i need same md5 sum on recovery clockwork and ss_rls5 ?? I have different when i check. what should i do?? i am using recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g1 and RecoveryManager_v0.36b ... help!!

Its matching now... but the problem is when i root my phone and then in superuser permissions it is showing app list empty....

i got that.. it is now showing recovery manager

Never mind the superuser permissions, it'll auto load when you start using No frills CPU or Titanium Backup etc..

Is it up and running?

Guys, what Micro SD cards would you recommend? I'm in the market for a 8GB or 16GB card, could you recommend me a few working ones?

Which video / media player is best for the ZTE Blade SS RLS5 ROM ?

Asking this ROM specific since it happens that media players behave differently with different ROMs.

Eg: video playing fine on Rock Player in CM7 may lag in SS RLS5 on the same phone.

ashu said:
how to put wap/gprs setting for loop mobile?????
Assuming you have the settings ready....do this

Go to settings -> wireless and network -> mobile nwtworks -> GSM/UMTS options -> Access point Name -> Press MENU and do a NEW APN

Under Name set any name you like, under APN put the actual APN (like airtel as airtelgprs.com and vodafone has www).

Save this and then select this APN using the radio button besides its name (it will turn green)

raksrules said:
Assuming you have the settings ready....do this

Go to settings -> wireless and network -> mobile nwtworks -> GSM/UMTS options -> Access point Name -> Press MENU and do a NEW APN

Under Name set any name you like, under APN put the actual APN (like airtel as airtelgprs.com and vodafone has www).

Save this and then select this APN using the radio button besides its name (it will turn green)
loop cc is not sending settings.. so i tried putting manually from loop mobile website.. but problem is there are many options in mobile.....do putting apn, username, password , proxy, port suffice???

Raksrules, the SS RLS5 does not come with A-GPS in it by default. Kalt_kaffe has confirmed it, so LanceH has incorporated that in his remix of the SS RLS5. Some guy asked him whether he can add that in the default SS RLS5 and LanceH said yes and gave him a file and asked him to "unzip and ADB push this file to /system/etc then reboot".
Here's the link- [ROM] Swedish Spring RLS5 Remix2 - Phat One - Android @ MoDaCo

D'you know how to do that? I looked into ADB and it was frankly out of my league. :( I'd really like A-GPS, especially since my the GPS takes nearly 1-2 minutes to fix.. that too only in the open. :/

JT_daniel said:
Raksrules, the SS RLS5 does not come with A-GPS in it by default. Kalt_kaffe has confirmed it, so LanceH has incorporated that in his remix of the SS RLS5. Some guy asked him whether he can add that in the default SS RLS5 and LanceH said yes and gave him a file and asked him to "unzip and ADB push this file to /system/etc then reboot".
Here's the link- [ROM] Swedish Spring RLS5 Remix2 - Phat One - Android @ MoDaCo

D'you know how to do that? I looked into ADB and it was frankly out of my league. :( I'd really like A-GPS, especially since my the GPS takes nearly 1-2 minutes to fix.. that too only in the open. :/
Dont do any ADB stuff. I too never understand that.
Do this...

1. Download the zip file mentioned on that link and extract it. You will get a gps.conf file.
2. Put this file in your phone's SD card somewhere.
3. Install Root explorer on your phone (your phone has to be rooted).
4. Navigate to /system/etc using root explorer, you will see the file gps.conf there.
5. At this point ensure that at the top of this app, you are able to see a white button with text as "Mount R/W". If it is then tap and it will change to "Mount R/O". This means you have mounted it as Read and Write.
6. Now copy the gps.conf file and save to /sdcard (which is root directory of your SD Card, this is just to backup the file incase we mess up).
7. Now go to the location where the new downloaded gps.conf is kept and copy the file and paste it in /system/etc folder and it should overwrite old file.
8. Restart your phone.

Well so many persons on this forum have obtained new Dellxcd35 with 2.2 preloaded, but it's sad that no one has uploaded it's ROM dump. most of us are using custom ROM's for our OSF due to lack of official Froyo. It's be great if we can try official English Froyo (that too Indian) on our phone.

Request all who've obtained new Dellxcd35, to upload the ROM dump.

Back